Other Resources Challenge Me! » They Who Shall Not be Named! Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 140

2007-11-10 7:19 AM
in reply to: #1045756

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: They Who Shall Not be Named!
D001 - 2007-11-09 1:30 PM
sparco - 2007-11-09 1:27 PM x2...I 're-learned' swimming using Total Immersion http://www.totalimmersion.net/

I'm not a FAST swimmer, but I can now swim the Oly distance without a whole lot of glycogen depletion, shooting for the half iron distance next season...I just try to stay relaxed and efficient, trying to emphasize the glide. I do one flutter kick per stroke...

Hey, where's spokes...(kidding Scott...)...

I must be doing the TI stuff wrong.... Everyone seems to love it. I try it, and all that happens is I mess up my shoulder. Maybe I need to get the DVD.....

I have the dvd if you want to borrow it.  I'll be using it on my vacation in Costa Rica, but I'll be happy to lend it when I get home.

My swim is much better using the pull buoy.  I notice that my positioin in the water is much better if I position the buoy down by my knees.  When I swim without it, the lower half of my body sinks.  Guess I need to work on keeping my head down, butt up.  Easier said than done. sigh.....

2007-11-10 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1045922

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
sparco - 2007-11-09 3:11 PM

barqhead - 2007-11-09 Dee, I swim with a 6 beat kick and about 14-17 strokes per 25.

Wow...I've got to really concentrate on getting 17 strokes/25.  You must be cruising to get good balance and glide at 14 strokes...

OMG are you KIDDING me????  I'm thrilled because I just broke 29  for 25 meters!  

I honestly have trouble putting it all together, I can concentrate on my stroke and reaching out making my lats feel really good, or I can concentrate on kicking, but it all falls apart when i try to put it together.  Just NOT that coordinated.  I have lots of time to practice coming up on vacation if you guys have some drills or workouts for me to try.....
2007-11-10 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1032449

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

This seems like a good time to cut out and actually go swim.  I'm sitting here talkin' to
myself anyway.....

2007-11-10 8:02 AM
in reply to: #1046866

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
tnickerson - 2007-11-10 7:27 AM

This seems like a good time to cut out and actually go swim.  I'm sitting here talkin' to
myself anyway.....

LOL -

Morning Tammy!  Morning Sal!

Hope you had fun catching up with everyone.

I'm off to spinning class - catch you all later :-)

2007-11-10 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1046851

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
tnickerson - 2007-11-10 7:09 AM
lastcall2003 - 2007-11-09 8:10 AM
sparco - 2007-11-09 6:24 AM

I will not stay on the Twisnibbins thread when I have a workout to do.
I will not stay on the Twisnibbins thread when I have a workout to do...

LOL - we will support you in that - just be sure to come back and visit when you're done :-)

Morning Sal!

I need to join that support group.  Been on here for more than an hour and I still haven't been to the pool.

Just step away from the keyboard.....

LMAO

2007-11-10 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1046866

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
tnickerson - 2007-11-10 7:27 AM

myself anyway.....

Don't worry, I've found myself doing the same thing - when you're reading through all the entries, it seems like you're talking to everyone

just like I am right now

egads - maybe we should be worried

LOL

2007-11-10 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Fort Worth
Morning everyone, I'm off to my short run.
2007-11-10 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1046404

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
TriAya - 2007-11-09 6:45 PM

Okay, kids, now for a serious training/reflection type post ... Beth, Dee, and spokes were "there" when I had my OMG-I've-lost-100-lbs. moment during last month's challenge ... just this tri season (since I've been on BT) I've lost 40 lbs. It still feels really weird, like ... where'd I go??? Anyway, I just posted in the before-n-after thread, but wanted to share this with my lovely adopted team, the twisnibbins, too:

Before BT
BT May ‘07
BT Nov ‘07
Weight
~260 lbs
198 lbs
158 lbs
Waist
40"
36"
29"
Triathlons
Hot triathlete friends
Countless! Priceless!
Cigarettes smoked
~40,000
OK I cheated twice - 2
Alcoholic drinks
~20,000
Life expectancy
65 yrs
?
102 yrs

Pics: 1. me at my largest, 2. starting this season, 3. after the bike/swim challenge, 4. after the run challenge--pic taken today!!!

WOW!!! That is amazing! You have done so awesome

2007-11-10 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1046469

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
lastcall2003 - 2007-11-09 7:58 PM

Ok, it's time for the Twisnibbins notes! (formerly known as Cliff notes)

Yes, we have been super busy in nibbinsville once again

Pam - had a rough start to her day, but the troops rallied around her and she went and had a fantastic workout, helped lots of us out with pointers on swimming - she is one fast lady!

Dee - is thinking about taking a course, but is concerned about it cutting into her time on Twisnibbins - we also learned that Dee doesn't laugh much at work (? i know, but that's what she said!) and she doesn't kick when she swims

Sharon - on vacation, they are having a surprise party for her mom - she's super excited about it and they have been planning it for quite some time - she's going to check on getting blackberries for all of the nibbins, especially Dee - so she can take her class - (joking - but it does sound like a pretty good idea, although how in the world would we handle the WIDENESS on that little screen?)

Tammy - just got back from her mini trip - welcome home!

Scott - ran 14 miles today and showed us his really big guitar! seriously, it's worth looking through the last few pages of posts to see - suffice it to say he was really rocking out!

Sal - had meetings all day - concepting and stuff, he likes short women and enjoys stalking inspiring his teamates!

Yanti - has the most uncanny knack for showing up at just the right time - be sure to check out page 69 - LOL - and well what can I say, her pix speak for themselves - WTG, beautiful baby!

Mila - is feeling better today, and got to watch her new favorite disney movie 3 x

Judi - LOL - well, lets just say that her tweenage daughter now knows what Scott looks like when he is rocking out - oh my, I can't wait to hear the explanation!

Heather - got her first star today! yaaaay! Heather and Scott had a nice conversation about what each of them does for their day job - see I can't tell everything, now you have to go look ;-) - I think it was somewhere around page 70 something

Hector - brought his cheerleader friend from the first thread over to get reaquainted. He is soooo ready for his race and we are all cheering him on! GO HECTOR - oh, and Dee seems to have promised him that I will post a special pic if he does well in his race - of my Pom Poms - LOLOL - man oh man is she in trouble!

Cat- where was she all day?

Lots of really great talk about swim techinique today - yesterday running, today swimming - does that mean tomorrow will be cycling?

Dee, Scott and Pam are Scorpios - Beth and Hector are Leos - Sharon is Sagitarius - Sal is either a Cancer or a Leo, he just mentioned July

Well, those are some of the highlights - hope you enjoyed - I'm sure i missed things, but I better get back or you guys will be up to page 78 and I'll have to start all over!

Thanks for the update! I wish I could have participated more, but I had "one of THOSE days" yesterday. Read my blog for a few more details. Let's just say that I wished that all I had to worry about yesterday was keeping up on BT...

So guess what??? I SWAM TODAY! First time in a pool actually swimming in YEARS! I've farted around in pools, but never doing real swim strokes. I'm feeling really, really good about it and am excited to go work on swimming now. My swim instructor did a good job and I have two more sessions with her. It is just so cool to see that purple on my chart!

Hope everyone is doing well! I'm going to go get stuff done around the house since I have the chance. Clean, laundry, dishes etc. I have very little homework this weekend and no sewing to do, so tons of time to get caught up. I am also going to start reading all the swimming stuff I've avoided because I didn't really know what it meant or felt like. Now that I have a better understanding I'm going to read all I can!

2007-11-10 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1046986

User image

Master
Fort Worth
wemoon - 2007-11-10 8:27 AM

Pam - had a rough start to her day, but the troops rallied around her and she went and had a fantastic workout, helped lots of us out with pointers on swimming - she is one fast lady!

Dee - is thinking about taking a course, but is concerned about it cutting into her time on Twisnibbins - we also learned that Dee doesn't laugh much at work (? i know, but that's what she said!) and she doesn't kick when she swims

Sharon - on vacation, they are having a surprise party for her mom - she's super excited about it and they have been planning it for quite some time - she's going to check on getting blackberries for all of the nibbins, especially Dee - so she can take her class - (joking - but it does sound like a pretty good idea, although how in the world would we handle the WIDENESS on that little screen?)

Scott - ran 14 miles today and showed us his really big guitar! seriously, it's worth looking through the last few pages of posts to see - suffice it to say he was really rocking out!

Sal - had meetings all day - concepting and stuff, he likes short women and enjoys stalking inspiring his teamates!

Yanti - has the most uncanny knack for showing up at just the right time - be sure to check out page 69 - LOL - and well what can I say, her pix speak for themselves - WTG, beautiful baby!

Mila - is feeling better today, and got to watch her new favorite disney movie 3 x

Judi - LOL - well, lets just say that her tweenage daughter now knows what Scott looks like when he is rocking out - oh my, I can't wait to hear the explanation!

Heather - got her first star today! yaaaay! Heather and Scott had a nice conversation about what each of them does for their day job - see I can't tell everything, now you have to go look ;-) - I think it was somewhere around page 70 something

Hector - brought his cheerleader friend from the first thread over to get reaquainted. He is soooo ready for his race and we are all cheering him on! GO HECTOR - oh, and Dee seems to have promised him that I will post a special pic if he does well in his race - of my Pom Poms - LOLOL - man oh man is she in trouble!

Lots of really great talk about swim techinique today - yesterday running, today swimming - does that mean tomorrow will be cycling?

Dee, Scott and Pam are Scorpios - Beth and Hector are Leos - Sharon is Sagitarius - Sal is either a Cancer or a Leo, he just mentioned July

Well, those are some of the highlights - hope you enjoyed - I'm sure i missed things, but I better get back or you guys will be up to page 78 and I'll have to start all over!

Thanks for the update! I wish I could have participated more, but I had "one of THOSE days" yesterday. Read my blog for a few more details. Let's just say that I wished that all I had to worry about yesterday was keeping up on BT... So guess what??? I SWAM TODAY! First time in a pool actually swimming in YEARS! I've farted around in pools, but never doing real swim strokes. I'm feeling really, really good about it and am excited to go work on swimming now. My swim instructor did a good job and I have two more sessions with her. It is just so cool to see that purple on my chart! Hope everyone is doing well! I'm going to go get stuff done around the house since I have the chance. Clean, laundry, dishes etc. I have very little homework this weekend and no sewing to do, so tons of time to get caught up. I am also going to start reading all the swimming stuff I've avoided because I didn't really know what it meant or felt like. Now that I have a better understanding I'm going to read all I can!

great job on getting out swimming sounds like you had fun.

2007-11-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1046629

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2007-11-09 11:17 PM
Yes... the swim is only a small proportion of your race and of course you arent going to train it 7 times a week BUT more people do significantly under train a discipline considering it sets up your whole race AND can be used to build cardio fitness without the impact of the other disciplines...

ok... you can ignore me now

Oh and on the kick... its really useful when finishing the swim leg to kick your legs faster as it prepares them to stand up and run into transition.... otherwise there is no blood in them... not a good way to exit the water

Um.... I'm not going to swim 7 times a week? Why ever not? (I wish I could!)

Interesting comment about kicking harder at the end of the swim! Makes sense....

2007-11-10 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Fort Worth
I'll be gone for a bit today myself. I'm going to the expo at REI to pick up my race pack as well as just get out and do something.
2007-11-10 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1046999

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
HCS5QA - 2007-11-10 11:39 AM I'll be gone for a bit today myself. I'm going to the expo at REI to pick up my race pack as well as just get out and do something.
Great idea Hector!  Expos are a GREAT way to spend some money get away from BT for awhile and clear your head for the race tomorrow.  
2007-11-10 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1046986

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
wemoon - 2007-11-10 11:27 AM

Thanks for the update! I wish I could have participated more, but I had "one of THOSE days" yesterday. Read my blog for a few more details. Let's just say that I wished that all I had to worry about yesterday was keeping up on BT... So guess what??? I SWAM TODAY! First time in a pool actually swimming in YEARS! I've farted around in pools, but never doing real swim strokes. I'm feeling really, really good about it and am excited to go work on swimming now. My swim instructor did a good job and I have two more sessions with her. It is just so cool to see that purple on my chart! Hope everyone is doing well! I'm going to go get stuff done around the house since I have the chance. Clean, laundry, dishes etc. I have very little homework this weekend and no sewing to do, so tons of time to get caught up. I am also going to start reading all the swimming stuff I've avoided because I didn't really know what it meant or felt like. Now that I have a better understanding I'm going to read all I can!
WOOHOO!  Way to go!  If you get a better understanding, will you please share it with me.....
2007-11-10 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1046995

User image

Champion
Taser-World
So last night, I left around page 78. This morning, I come back to page 83. That makes 5 pages in just 12 hours. You guys are awesome! And chatty. LOL

2007-11-10 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1046827

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
tnickerson - 2007-11-10 6:56 AM

Morning everyone!  Well, I've caught up on pages 77-83.  I wasn't going to, but now I have to go back and see what I missed when I was gone, because
#1: Mila appears as a regular on our thread now.  Where did she come from?
#2:  Sounds like there was a serious swim discussion and I'll take all the help I can
get in that area.
#3:  Sounds like I really should read page 69.

Helllllooooo Tammy!

Ooohh... you know I loves me some lists...

1.  Sal told me to come here.  I do everything Sal tells me to do.  Right, Sal?
2.  It's good to have serious swim, bike, run discussions here.  Otherwise your challenge group is going to find itself kicked out of the Challenge Me! forum in COJ and "They Who Shall Not be Named" will be named TAN .
3.  Indeed!
4.  Edited 'cause I messed up the text colors and it would have driven me crazy... so I'd have had to keep posting until we got to the next page thereby padding my post count considerably.  Hmmmm... on second thought...

Edited by milaminute 2007-11-10 11:33 AM

2007-11-10 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1047008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
D001 - 2007-11-10 10:44 AM

So last night, I left around page 78. This morning, I come back to page 83. That makes 5 pages in just 12 hours. You guys are awesome! And chatty. LOL

I know...! I am not even going to attempt to catch up. Last time I could read was Thursday night and didn't get back until this morning. I am so thankful for the clif notes version!

I also want to say thanks for everyone who has posted comments on my blog. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to visit many peoples blogs, but I should have time this weekend to send you all little messages.

2007-11-10 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1046635

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2007-11-09 11:27 PM
Stretching: When you work out and muscles get put under stress one of their reactions is to tigthen... after awhile they dont loosen up as much and stay tight....

This will pull body parts out of alignment and cause injuries.... because other muscles will start to compensate for the tight muscles and it will affect how you move.

Also if muscles are held in a certain position (ie high heels) over time they will tighten to fit the position they are used to...

Stretching keeps the muscles supple and your body in good alignement (among other things) and Im sure someone who understands all this better than me will explain it beter

In other words.... I need to learn how to stretch my shoulder muscles.

2007-11-10 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1047042

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
milaminute - 2007-11-10 12:27 PM

Morning everyone!  Well, I've caught up on pages 77-83.  I wasn't going to, but now I have to go back and see what I missed when I was gone, because
#2:  Sounds like there was a serious swim discussion and I'll take all the help I can
get in that area.

Helllllooooo Tammy!

2.  It's good to have serious swim, bike, run discussions here.  Otherwise your challenge group is going to find itself kicked out of the Challenge Me! forum in COJ and "They Who Shall Not be Named" will be named TAN .
3.  Indeed!
4.  Edited 'cause I messed up the text colors and it would have driven me crazy... so I'd have had to keep posting until we got to the next page thereby padding my post count considerably.  Hmmmm... on second thought...

LOL!  How did we survive all of these pages with out you!
2007-11-10 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1047046

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
wemoon - 2007-11-10 12:32 PM
D001 - 2007-11-10 10:44 AM So last night, I left around page 78. This morning, I come back to page 83. That makes 5 pages in just 12 hours. You guys are awesome! And chatty. LOL
I know...! I am not even going to attempt to catch up. Last time I could read was Thursday night and didn't get back until this morning. I am so thankful for the clif notes version! I also want to say thanks for everyone who has posted comments on my blog. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to visit many peoples blogs, but I should have time this weekend to send you all little messages.

You didn't miss anything.  Most of the posts were from me catching up from the day I was missing!

User image

Champion
Taser-World
HCS5QA - 2007-11-10 11:39 AM

I'll be gone for a bit today myself. I'm going to the expo at REI to pick up my race pack as well as just get out and do something.

Race pack! Ooh, how exciting!

Remember - run REALLY fast, so Beth can wave her pom poms!

Edited by D001 2007-11-10 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Taser-World

Race pack! Ooh, how exciting!

Remember - run REALLY fast tomorrow, so Beth can wave her pom poms!

Or, how about this? They have pom poms, too!

Edited by D001 2007-11-10 11:59 AM

(dcc2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
dcc2.jpg (29KB - 5 downloads)
2007-11-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: #1047070

User image

Champion
Taser-World

Or maybe you prefer this?

(cheerleader.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cheerleader.jpg (48KB - 5 downloads)
2007-11-10 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1047077

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

D001 - 2007-11-10 11:55 AM
HCS5QA - 2007-11-10 11:39 AM I'll be gone for a bit today myself. I'm going to the expo at REI to pick up my race pack as well as just get out and do something.
Or maybe you prefer this?

ROTFLMAO - now she is cute!

Wow, I don't have time to get caught up - this group moves fast, even on a saturday!

I swam this morning and am off to shop and lunch with my beautiful daughter - I'll catch up later

Oh, and I put in a request to change the team name for our first thread, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm going to add a link to that thread in my sig line - so it will make it easy for everyone to find

This thread will reach the magic 100 page number soon :-)

2007-11-10 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1047042

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-11-10 11:27 AM

get in that area.

Helllllooooo Tammy!

3.  Indeed!

O.K., so what you're saying is that you had to come back and make sure that the sentence 'I do everything Sal tells me to do' was in sarcasm font.  You're right Mila...I CAN'T handle you... 

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » They Who Shall Not be Named! Rss Feed  

of 140