Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2012-01-26 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4013051

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group

I'm also doing my first 70.3 this year... Ironman Lake Stevens.  I've got this plan loaded into a calendar on Active Trainer, but won't actually be starting it for four more weeks.  Getting anxious to get going, but don't want to do too much too soon and burn out.

It seems to me like this plan is a little swim-heavy.  It has waaaay more swimming than the Oly plan I used last summer,  yet the race is only 472 yards further.  I may occasionally drop a swim workout for a run or bike.  I'm more worried about making it up the hills than I am getting through the swim.

2012-01-26 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4013119

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
PrivateIdaho - 2012-01-26 3:11 PM

I'm also doing my first 70.3 this year... Ironman Lake Stevens.  I've got this plan loaded into a calendar on Active Trainer, but won't actually be starting it for four more weeks.  Getting anxious to get going, but don't want to do too much too soon and burn out.

It seems to me like this plan is a little swim-heavy.  It has waaaay more swimming than the Oly plan I used last summer,  yet the race is only 472 yards further.  I may occasionally drop a swim workout for a run or bike.  I'm more worried about making it up the hills than I am getting through the swim.

There are definitely some things in the plan that you have to look at in context to your own situation.  I would agree that some of the workouts do not make sense to me.  In the the four week prep phase there is no running Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with weeks totaling about 12-13 miles.  To me that is way to light and I do better with more frequency so I've added at least one run per week to my plan.

2012-01-26 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4012969

User image

in a van, down by the river

popsracer - 2012-01-26 4:29 PM  if you swim 2:00 per hundred that would be about a 42 minute swim.  That is right in the middle of the pack and if you come out of the water fairly fresh from that you are well on your way to a pretty good first HIM. 

Fair enough, good observation.  I will just keep working on it.  I can do 1:40 /100 but not for long enough, I suppose that'll come with time.

Thanks for the perspective on this.

2012-01-26 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4013151

User image

Master
Sin City
popsracer - 2012-01-26 3:38 PM

There are definitely some things in the plan that you have to look at in context to your own situation.  I would agree that some of the workouts do not make sense to me.  In the the four week prep phase there is no running Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with weeks totaling about 12-13 miles.  To me that is way to light and I do better with more frequency so I've added at least one run per week to my plan.

Is there something I'm missing?  According to the BT 20 Weeks HIM Plan and 16 weeks Immediate plan, there is a long run every weekend. I didn't see the "missing" runs. 

Or is there another "prep plan" that you were thinking about?

2012-01-26 11:12 PM
in reply to: #4013458

User image

CyborgQueen - 2012-01-26 10:30 PM
popsracer - 2012-01-26 3:38 PM   According to the BT 20 Weeks HIM Plan and 16 weeks Immediate plan, there is a long run every weekend. I didn't see the "missing" runs. 
>>

the BT 1/2 iron plan, at least the first several weeks, has Monday as med run/ med swim, tuesday is med bike/med run, wed is short swim, thurs is long run, fri is swim / bike, sat is OFF and Sunday is long bike.

that's 3 run days, one of which is "long".  Not enough ?  I don't know, to me it's a lot..

I'm getting comforable with it, and I think that's the goal of weeks 1-4.   that doggg-gone swim though, I struggle still, but it's amazing how much better I'm starting to run  and feel now that I'm getting more cardio benefit from the swim.  I'm focusing on the volume more than the 'time' on the advice of others here.  I'm day #18 if memory serves so things could change.

'Spose it's good that I'm not actually doin' a 1/2 iron immediately  after my tour of this plan, as i'm still deficit spending my way to get through it.  But eventually my earnings will exceed the spend and I will be a rock-star athlete just like all those dudes I read about over there on slowtwitch.com where it's all players and 5:minute mile guys with olympic medals with sponsors and shiny carbon fiber bits and such eh.

Edited by Americanfatass 2012-01-26 11:13 PM
2012-01-27 12:20 AM
in reply to: #4013458

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-26 7:30 PM

Is there something I'm missing?  According to the BT 20 Weeks HIM Plan and 16 weeks Immediate plan, there is a long run every weekend. I didn't see the "missing" runs. 

Here is a link to week 20.  19, 18, and 17 are similar.  Friday swim, short ride, Saturday rest, and Sunday long ride.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/halfim/Week20.pdf

Are we looking at the same thing?

2012-01-27 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4013565

User image

Master
Sin City
popsracer - 2012-01-26 10:20 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-26 7:30 PM

Here is a link to week 20.  19, 18, and 17 are similar.  Friday swim, short ride, Saturday rest, and Sunday long ride.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/halfim/Week20.pdf

Are we looking at the same thing?

No we are not. What I was looking at was the BT Half Ironman 20 Weeks Plan

I'm trying to find a plan that will fit with my needs.  It's seems that the BT Beginner 1/2 Ironman plan by RPE is a little light on the bike and the run in my case as I'm a little on the slower side, have done two HM, and plenty of bike rides over 2 hrs @~15mph.   The more volume on the 20 weeks plan is what I need/like. Maybe it's too much?

I just saw the BT Beginner HIM plan, I can't believe I didn't see that before. D'oh!  It does seem much more doable (especially in the swim), but I'm not sure about the bike/run it seems a little light (but that could be because I'm slower, so it takes me a little longer to complete 5 miles.  I may just follow the Beginner 1/2 plan and put in some of the stuff from the 20 weeks plan. 

I do notice that the 20 weeks plan is a lot more swim distance, and the avg pool distance exceeds 1.2 mi, so the 20 weeks swim plan is a little too much for me. 

I have to take a look at the Beginner 1/2 plan (RPE) again if it's a little better for me. 

Edited by CyborgQueen 2012-01-27 9:47 AM
2012-01-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Master
Sin City

Alright, I took a look again at the Beginner 1/2 Ironman plan (still can't believe I didn't see that...lol).

I definitely can do that, and the plans doesn't look so daunting as the other plan that I looked at. 

However, I still think it's a little light on the bike and the run. I still stand by what I've said before, I will add another ez run, and will add another 10 minutes or so to long runs for a good measure. My reasoning behind this is I normally avg at 11:30 pace on longish runs, so, for a run schedule that says to do an hour long run, I would be going at a shorter distance. I rather have the distance in for the long runs than the minutes, so I figure I can put in another mile (10-12 minutes), and then call it good.

2012-01-27 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4013119

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Week 4 of this plan has the following run workout:

R: 90 minutes tempo - main: 10 x (3t, 2r) 3t at RPE 7-8, 2r at RPE 2

Can someone translate, what does "3t" and "2r" mean?

2012-01-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4014344

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
PrivateIdaho - 2012-01-27 9:30 AM

I believe it is 3 minutes at tempo pace followed by 2 minutes at recovery pace.  Do this ten times throughout your run.  Kind of like a more structured fartlek.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I interpret it.

2012-01-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4014365

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
popsracer - 2012-01-27 9:39 AM
PrivateIdaho - 2012-01-27 9:30 AM

I believe it is 3 minutes at tempo pace followed by 2 minutes at recovery pace.  Do this ten times throughout your run.  Kind of like a more structured fartlek.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I interpret it.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought, but it sort of threw me because it is labled a tempo run but describes intervals. 

2012-01-27 8:28 PM

User image

Regular
Maynard, MA

I am planning on doing my first half this September, the FirmMan Rhode Island (Half Ironman Distance). 

I did a few sprints in summers of 2008, 2009 and only 1 in 2010.   Then I inadvertently took a year off from training. Finishing grad school and stating a new job ended up being more a priority. I ended up gaining 20 pounds stopped fitting in to my cloths.  I then was looking back on pictures over the past few years and did like how I was looking or how i was feeling.  I had to get back into training.  

I came back to running in August, and ran the Boston Half Marathon in late October.  I got a bike trainer for my birthday and started biking and swimming again in November.  I signed up for a BT gold membership and stated making my training plans and loging my workouts.  I have almost lost that 20 lbs I gained.  I am feeling much better.  

I still have to fine tune my schedule and workouts but it is going well.  Working on technique and my base.  I plan to do a full Ironman in 2013.  Looking forward to this season!  

2012-01-29 5:13 AM
in reply to: #4015377

User image

Elite

Hi everyone - on Week 18 here.  did a Sprint Tri today so that replaced anything on the plan.  I've no other tri's lined up before my 2.80.20 in June.

I haven't looked at what's ahead on this plan as i don't want to be overwhelmed.  I just look at the next week on a Sunday and work out what I can fit in on which days.  I can't stick to it by day but I can get the relevant volume and workouts in across the week including a day of rest/recovery.

As I see it - 3 runs/3 bikes/ 3 swims a week.  One of the runs and bikes to be long.

I've done a couple of marathons so no stranger to getting the miles into the legs here - the bike is my weakest link so I'm making sure i follow the plan exactly for the bike.  The indoor trainer is getting a good workout!  I already swim in a squad 3x a week and one of these is an OWS.  I've also been doing a couple of additional OWS with friends - it's summer in Melbourne and I happend to be 1mile from the beach.  The swim has turned into my strength!

Look forward to all the updates.

2012-01-29 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
I'm not going to be starting the plan until April, first HIM is Pigman in August so right now I'm working on building up my base. What is the base for this half ironman plan? How long should I be able to run, bike and swim before even starting the plan?
2012-01-29 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4016748

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am planning my first HIM late this season.  Last year I did the beginner HIM plan and tried to continue that volume throughout the remaining part of the year, at least until I hit my run focus for another marathon.  My plan was to get my volume up for almost a full year before my planned HIM.

I'll need help with nutrition for the race and planning that the intake.  Also how often to do bricks and the distances for said bricks.

BTW, I am looking at the Rev 3, Cedar Point.  Anyone else planning that race?

2012-01-29 12:36 PM

User image

Hi my name is Larry.  I started the 1/2 ironman training program about 8 weeks ago but have modified the program by doubling each week.  My goal is to do the Deer Creek Fall challenge on September 23, 2012.  

I started doing tri's last spring by doing indoor tri's and finished up last summer with three sprints.  I have no running background and just bought my first bike last spring so I felt like I needed more than 20 weeks to prepare, hence doubling the program and making it 40 weeks long.

I really enjoy the workouts and have been doing every double workout as a brick since I started (didn't realize the beginning weeks were really designed to be separate workouts).  

If anyone has any suggestions I am very open.  I also really need some thoughts on nutrition both pre and during race.

Nice to meet everyone,

Larry

2012-01-29 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I just wish I did not see any red on my planned vs actual calendar each week! Ugh!  
2012-01-29 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4016748

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

jpfeife - 2012-01-29 4:41 AM I'm not going to be starting the plan until April, first HIM is Pigman in August so right now I'm working on building up my base. What is the base for this half ironman plan? How long should I be able to run, bike and swim before even starting the plan?

In the preface of the plan they state to begin "if you can consistently swim 40min, run 60min and bike 90min".

2012-01-29 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4017052

User image

celticbass1 - 2012-01-29 1:36 PM

I felt like I needed more than 20 weeks to prepare, hence doubling the program and making it 40 weeks long.

Hi Larry, 

at first I read your post wrong (double workouts-- the guy is a machine!) but think you mean you're just repeating each week huh.   I'm new at this also but that sounds like a good strategy, and your event is far away.

I too am looking at a fall event for my first 1/2 (I've only done one tri, something between sprint and oly distance).  

My biggest concern -- one I guess that may be applicable to you --- is the worry about burnout.  It's a lot of hours which I think can be easy for a 3-4 months but what you and I both propose to do here is the better part of a year.

I have zero motivation problems currently- just hope that doesnt change before I get to do that big "goal" event that is so far out there on the horizon.  Any thoughts on this ?

2012-01-29 11:03 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Hi all.  I'm going to be doing the troika HIM in spokane wa at the beginning of August.  I started tri training in october halfway through sprint program.  I then worked through the bt Oly swim focussed program. I've been maintaining at the peak distances on that plan for the last few months and have upped my volume in the run to do a marathon in May.

In March, I plan to start the free HIM plan on this site.  I've never done tri training while building for a marathon, but this will only be the case for the first two months.  I think it should go well.  I would like to pr the marathon and go under 3:30.  for the HIM, I would like to finish well.  It's still along way till august, and a lot can happen.  I'm new to the sport of tri, and do plan on doing an OLY in June/July to break into sport.  I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts, and will continue to read as I learn so much through others comments and unique experiences.

2012-01-30 5:16 PM

User image

Elite

Well heat and humidity and an unairconditioned spin class do not go well together to kick start ones training week!  I practically fell off that spin bike after 30mins, managed to hold it together to get out of there without passing out but it was touch and go.

I di however manage to go to swim squad - I intended to take it easy but 2.8km later i was done!  We did a 1km warm up with fins, varying strokes and drills.  It was then 10x200m (25m pool) alternating 200m fast (80-90% effort), 200m recovery.  I missed 150m of one recovery set (bathroom break) and one 50m backstroke (chatting!)  Felt great when I'd finished.  Funny how I always have the energy for the pool squad.

I'm feeling under the weather today, think the sprint triathlon race Sunday took more out of me than I thought.  I've a lunchtime 40min run planned today, weather has cooled to a nice 68 degrees (80 yesterday) so should be good.  it's the 10mins warm up then the 20sec strides every 5 minutes.  See how that goes!

Jo

2012-01-30 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
I finally got off the trainer and on the roads yesterday for my long bike ride.  Not as fast as i was at the end of my training last year but I have a feeling it will come back quickly.  Anyone else get their butt handed to them after getting off the trainer and hitting the outdoors?
2012-01-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4017906

User image

Regular
Spokane
kevinbe - 2012-01-29 9:03 PM

Hi all.  I'm going to be doing the troika HIM in spokane wa at the beginning of August.  I started tri training in october halfway through sprint program.  I then worked through the bt Oly swim focussed program. I've been maintaining at the peak distances on that plan for the last few months and have upped my volume in the run to do a marathon in May.

In March, I plan to start the free HIM plan on this site.  I've never done tri training while building for a marathon, but this will only be the case for the first two months.  I think it should go well.  I would like to pr the marathon and go under 3:30.  for the HIM, I would like to finish well.  It's still along way till august, and a lot can happen.  I'm new to the sport of tri, and do plan on doing an OLY in June/July to break into sport.  I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts, and will continue to read as I learn so much through others comments and unique experiences.

I'm doing Troika as my first HIM also.  I've heard it's a fairly easy course as far as elevation but the heat can be a killer in August! Good luck with your training.

2012-01-30 10:50 PM
in reply to: #4019859

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
littlewj - 2012-01-31 8:29 AM
kevinbe - 2012-01-29 9:03 PM

I'm doing Troika as my first HIM also.  I've heard it's a fairly easy course as far as elevation but the heat can be a killer in August! Good luck with your training.

I heard from one of the race reports on this site to train for a month in the heat of the day prior to doing the event to prepare for it.  I plan on doing this as I normaly train at 5:00 a.m., and virtually have no experience past 70 deg. weather.  Right now it's three layers of clothes and running in snow and ice.  crazy.  Can't wait to train outdoors on the bike again.  I was just starting to build in the fall before it got to cold.

Hope your training goes well.  Maybe we'll see you out there.

2012-01-31 5:19 AM

New user

Hi I am Adrienn,

I am training for Augusta half... my friend keep talking about this site so thought give a shot! Why not! Did an IM in Cozumel last year and kind of hard to get back to the swing. So I shell see :D

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150