BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-12-14 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
I wouldn't mind staying with the group, but also want to join another to get different ideas and perspectives. Is there any rule that you can only be in 1 group at a time?  If so, I definately will check back in every once in a while. Maybe I can make better use of the inspires in your workout logs.

2010-12-14 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I had a 55 minute run today.  I have  been sick and today my HR was up by about 10 bpm higher than normal for my exertion level.  Is this due to the sudafed I took beforehand or just b/c I am sick?" 

The run definately wiped me out, it will be a struggle to stay productive today.

2010-12-14 2:23 PM

User image

In my experience, my HR is usually about 10 beats higher than normal if I'm slightly sick, fatigued, or just not feeling well.

I would allow your body to rest.  If you do work out...take it easy.  If you're wiped out after a workout...that also means your immune system is wiped out as well...and could prolong your sickness.
2010-12-14 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3248682

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I am actually on the mend now (hopefully). Last week I did take it easy and it was hard seeing my numbers in my logs down. Just have to listen to the rational side and not the side that tells me to go harder and faster Smile 
2010-12-15 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3249156

User image

Champion
All, since we seem to be throwing this around, i'm also going to stay with this group until the new ones start up, and then will move to the next one.

I'd encourage all of you to pick a group that fits what you are looking for, or try something new out just to get some dif ideas/thoughs on things, and those that feel up to it to start your own group.

training is going well on my end, a little beat up but otherwise good. mileage on the run will hit the high 60s mark this weekend, whcih i'm really happy with.
2010-12-15 1:47 PM

User image

Woke up today with the legs feeling pretty good.  It's nice when you can get out of bed without falling over.  I immediately went to the stairs to see how walking down would feel...and I could pretty much do it (slowly) without hanging on the the railings.

Looks like I should be able to do my first recovery jog tomorrow...maybe a 2 mile run/walk.

I'll be swimming tonight.  Pretty excited to be going back to the pool 2-3 times a week again.  Even more excited to get back on my bike on a regular basis.

2010-12-15 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3250006

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
J - great to hear you are feeling good and excited about changing up your workouts now that your run focus is over.

Newbz - I don't have anything other than to say you rock- wow I can't even imagine running that far in a week or even a month!
2010-12-16 1:31 AM

User image

Legs actually felt really good on the treadmill tonight.  Was only on for about 15 minutes...but slowly worked up from a walk to a 9 minute mile pace.  Held it for a minute or so, then cooled back down.  Joints are all feeling good...but the quads are still a bit stiff.

As I slowly increased the pace...my legs actually felt looser...but there's still some fatigue in there.
2010-12-16 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Question
I'm planning on racing a 5k each month Jan-April. I really want to try and improve my times for this distance. Last March when I asked this group what to do, everyone told me to increase my volume and that is all I did (ran easy and just gradually ran longer & longer distances) and it worked great. My 5K went from 36 mins to 29 mins. So my question is, should I just keep on doing this or should I start doing speedwork.

I've never done speedwork before and don't even really know what that word means. Am I ready for speedwork? What exactly is it? How should this be incorporated into my training?

Edited by jpbis26 2010-12-16 11:20 PM
2010-12-16 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3251871

User image

jpbis26 - 2010-12-16 6:02 PM Question
I'm planning on racing a 5k each month Jan-April. I really want to try and improve my times for this distance. Since I'm a beginner runner, I've never done speedwork before and don't even really know what that word means. All I do is go out and run at an easy pace a few times a week. Am I ready for speedwork? What exactly is it? How should this be incorporated into my training?

I think speedwork is really not needed for beginner runners.  Or even for someone like myself who has been running consistantly for a little less than 2 years.

Think of it this way...if I told you to run as fast as you can for 1 minute...I bet you would be running faster than what your 5k pace would be.  So your body is capable of running fast...but the problem is you don't have enough endurance to hold that speed for more than a minute.

So the if the real problem is endurance...you should be working on that first and foremost.  So running "mostly easy" as they say...will help you build endurance and also build your volume...so when it comes time for your 5k race...your body will be able to sustain your goal 5k pace.

Where speedwork, or "sometimes hard" comes into play...is when you are running enough so that you are building endurance...but you just want to sprinkle in some faster work.  There's no doubt that speedwork does help...but for most beginners...not nearly as much as building endurance will.  Not to mention the injury risks of speedwork.

That being said...the "sometimes hard" work that I do are either tempo runs or steady state runs.  And I wouldn't do these unless I'm at about 25+ mpw. 

For me, a tempo run is a fairly hard effort...maybe 30 seconds slower than 10k pace...but only for about 20-30 minutes.  Start with a 15-30 warmup, and finish with at least a 20 minute cooldown.

A steady state run is a little longer and a little slower.  Maybe 15-30 seconds slower than half marathon pace, but it lasts about 45-60 minutes.  Again...warmup and cooldown.  For me...these runs are at least 9 miles...so again...I wouldn't be likely doing this unless I was in marathon training...where my weekly mileage is above 40.

When I think of "speedwork"...I'm thinking more along the lines of track workouts.  Mile repeats, 800's, etc.  These are workouts where you're likely going faster than 5k pace, but at much shorter intervals.  This type of workout would be something like a 10 minute warmup, then running 800's at a pretty fast pace (can't remember what I was doing) with 30 seconds rest.  I have only done these a few times before...and ended up injured.

Or at least that's my take on it.

Edited by tri808 2010-12-16 11:23 PM
2010-12-17 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jpbis26 - 2010-12-16 11:02 PM Question
I'm planning on racing a 5k each month Jan-April. I really want to try and improve my times for this distance. Last March when I asked this group what to do, everyone told me to increase my volume and that is all I did (ran easy and just gradually ran longer & longer distances) and it worked great. My 5K went from 36 mins to 29 mins. So my question is, should I just keep on doing this or should I start doing speedwork.

I've never done speedwork before and don't even really know what that word means. Am I ready for speedwork? What exactly is it? How should this be incorporated into my training?

Jackie, I don't have any suggestions for you, but am in the same boat and interested in what everyone thinks as well.

Edited by robingray_260 2010-12-17 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

dp

Edited by robingray_260 2010-12-17 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

tp - doh!

Edited by robingray_260 2010-12-17 9:11 AM
2010-12-17 9:45 AM

User image

I should note above...that when I first did track speedwork and ended up injured...I was only running about 30 miles per week...and had a very weak running base.  I had only started running maybe 2-3 months prior.  So it was a combination or increasing my overall mileage too quickly...as well as introducing speedwork.

Edited by tri808 2010-12-17 9:46 AM
2010-12-17 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3252198

User image

Champion
I would look at getting to the point where you are running 30mpw week in and week out before thinking about speedwork. adding in in a tempo run as jason mentions would be my next step. 15-30min at a pace between 10k and half marathon pace. comfortably hard, nothing more. get used to that, then go form there.

a lot of the time drops for a while will simple come from running more, and getting the miles in over time.
2010-12-17 6:00 PM

User image

Gave blood this morning for the first time in a about 8 months or so.  I figure now's as good a time as any considering I'm back up to pre marathon weight and I feel pretty well recovered.

Going to try for an easy swim tonight...about 12 hours after the donation.  Nothing hard...just working on form. 

2010-12-17 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks David & J- I will stick with easy runs for now with the goal being to work my way up to consistently doing 30mpw. I know this is totally doable for me during the summer months, when I do not work. So I think I will try adding some tempo runs then. In the meantime (Jan-May), I was thinking of shooting for 15mpw. Maybe doing 3 runs (3mi, 5mi, 7mi).
As we get into Jan, I'm trying to make some short term & long term training goals for the s/b/r. I want to stick with sprints & Oly for 2011 and finish with the same HM with the goal being to improve my times. 
So here's the plan: Run 3xs a week. As I said before, I really want to focus on the bike for 2011. So I'm def looking to do some workouts on the trainer 2-3 evenings a week (with a long outdoor bike once a week). Also, I'm looking to do a good swim workout 2x a week with my masters group.
So I'm going to look at my schedule each week and plan out my workouts at set times. I know I won't be able to make all the training sessions happen every week, but if I can get in most of them, I'll be happy. 
Please offer me any feedback on this plan. All advice is welcome as usual. 
I'll leave you with a photo of Jamie and me before the HM. I know I should have posted it with my RR, but I'm a little behind in uploading my photos (heck, I had photos from Halloween on my camera still). I'm the one on the left.

BTW- Tri808-Love the new avatar

Edited by jpbis26 2010-12-17 8:58 PM

(Jackie & Jamie HM 2010.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Jackie & Jamie HM 2010.JPG (73KB - 22 downloads)
2010-12-18 1:36 AM

User image

Jamie,

That sounds like a really good plan.  It's very similar to what I was doing last spring for my sprints and Olys.

I was doing masters 2x per week...but also throwing in a swim on my own.  This was still when I was a horrible swimmer though...so it was more to work on form than to actually get a workout.

I was biking about 3x per week.  2 group rides, and one solo or on the trainer.

And I was running about 4x per week...all of them about 5 miles.  I only did about 2 runs in the 7-9 mile range.

2010-12-18 1:37 AM

User image

as far as the new avatar...notice how it's dark...so it's still in the first hour of the marathon.  You should see some of the pictures in the last 4 miles...not pretty.
2010-12-18 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3253117

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I have been watching the thread for a while but haven't had much time to post.  A lot of stuff going on with the Christmas season and all.

As with others, I have learned a ton of stuff during this mentoring group and need to thank everyone for the encouragement and coaching too.  Everyone has provided more than I have been able to digest.  But the things I have learned have allowed me to get much faster and train more smartly than I have trained for anything before.  Pat yourselves on the back for all you have done and keep up the hard work too.

I will stay with this mentor group until the others start but will probably find another group after this one.  I have been with David for both of the groups I have been involved with and I have learned tons. 

My training is on track with where I expect it to be.  My runs are at 18-19 mpw, swims at 2500-3000 per swim (with varying intensity) and my bikes are coming nicely along at 3x a week.  I can already tell the additional cycling is making a difference in my fitness and I can't wait until next season.  I am hoping to nail a Oly with a 21mph avg. for one race next year.  (This season I maxed at 20.6)

Next year races are going to look like.........1 HM, 2 Oly's, 1 Sprint and possibly another marathon (Air Force) and a couple other shorter running races to (5k's).  I want to do a Sprint to see if  can handle the pain of an ALL OUT effort for a whole race.  To be honest, the sprint distance kind of makes me nervous because I know how much it SHOULD hurt to complete it.  I guess I am viewing it like a 5k race...."pain management."

J, I like the new avatar too.  I am hoping to (been hinting A LOT) get the pics for my marathon for Christmas.  If so I will change my avatar as well.

2010-12-18 10:44 PM

User image

Had a great long ride today.  About 44 miles...first time I've gone over 28 since marathon training started in September.  There were some long breaks, as we had to wait for someone who flatted twice to catch up...but the overall pace was pretty fast.  I was pulling most of the way back and was suprised at how fresh my legs felt.

I'm taking Christmas Eve and New Years Eve off from work...so I'll likely ride solo on those days (since my normal Saturday group nor I will be riding Christmas day or NY day).  That should be a good test of where I'm at.  I'll probably do a 55ish mile route on the TT bike.

2010-12-19 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3253722

User image

Champion
looks like everyone is keeping busy, and some awesome new photos all around!

I raced a local 5k this morning. it was a chrsitmas gift run where your entry fee was a new gift for a kid in the community, and awards were local donated gifts.

Managed to run a great time for me in 17:13 and good for first overall (small race).
Best award ever, a box of chocolate from a local candy company:-)

Hope everyone has a great and safe holiday!
2010-12-19 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3254105

User image

newbz - 2010-12-19 9:27 AM looks like everyone is keeping busy, and some awesome new photos all around! I raced a local 5k this morning. it was a chrsitmas gift run where your entry fee was a new gift for a kid in the community, and awards were local donated gifts. Managed to run a great time for me in 17:13 and good for first overall (small race). Best award ever, a box of chocolate from a local candy company:-) Hope everyone has a great and safe holiday!

Congrats on a really fast 5k.

2010-12-19 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3254105

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I have some extra runs planned for the coming week. I am back in Ohio for our annual holiday trip to see our families. I don't have my bike but there is a pool my daughter and I have used over the past couple of years. So Ill get some swims in. I am planning a quick 3 miler or something extra nothing big. I don't want any injuries.I ran a quick T miles before we left home this morning. The quickest 5 I have done since the marathon training. I need to step up my run intensity some so I can hopefully keep some speed or maybe pick up a second or two over the winter.
2010-12-19 3:39 PM

User image

It's been raining cats and dogs here since about 1am.  So I suppose I can't complain about last weeks weather for my marathon.  This would have been brutal...or more like a run/swim duathlon.

Hasn't rained this hard, and this steady for a really long time.  It's actually to the point where I don't even want to make the 20 foot walk to my car so I can go to the gym.  But I'll get there...and slog a 8ish mile run on the treadmill while watching Sunday Night Football.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105