BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-09-08 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Not much to report here. I wasn't feeling good all weekend and Monday but got a workout in on Tuesday. Hope whatever I had is gone. I have a 5K coming up in less than a month and my Oly triathlon On Nov 7th. It's on a pretty hilly course so I'll have to start to work on that pretty soon. At least through this year, I'm looking at running and triathlons as events and not races. Maybe someday I can "race" but for now I just want to do the best I can. I'm not going to be competitive but I will have fun and finish. I'm still going to continue on with training programs and try to push my fitness without hopefully getting injured. It sounds like a lot of peoples race season is wrapping up. Here in SUNNY AZ, it's just starting.

2010-09-09 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
I'm down to the last couple of days prior to my IM, I can't believe it has been a year since I signed up! 

As you can imagine the next couple of days are going to be a bit crazy leading up to the race.  I wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone in the group for all the support, advice and conversation over the last year.  It has been great watching everyone's training and racing from afar and seeing the progress everyone has made.  Moreover, knowing that you can come to this group and get advice without fear of asking a "dumb" question is awesome.

Pete, thanks for taking the time to put this group together.  You have done an awesome job as a mentor. 

Hopefully I will have some good results to post early next week.

Greg
2010-09-09 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3089217

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

GRB1 - 2010-09-09 11:51 AM I'm down to the last couple of days prior to my IM, I can't believe it has been a year since I signed up! 

As you can imagine the next couple of days are going to be a bit crazy leading up to the race.  I wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone in the group for all the support, advice and conversation over the last year.  It has been great watching everyone's training and racing from afar and seeing the progress everyone has made.  Moreover, knowing that you can come to this group and get advice without fear of asking a "dumb" question is awesome.

Pete, thanks for taking the time to put this group together.  You have done an awesome job as a mentor. 

Greg

Good luck Greg!  Relax a bit and enjoy the whole IM experience! 

2010-09-09 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
GRB1 - 2010-09-09 8:51 AM I'm down to the last couple of days prior to my IM, I can't believe it has been a year since I signed up! 

Greg

Good luck Greg, remember when it gets tough out there, we're all in your corner rooting for you!
2010-09-09 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
couple questions for the group:

Complicated flat situation:

I got a flat from a staple on my rear race wheel (staple).  Staple was removed and latex tube was patched with glue/patch properly.  Refilled with CO2, which I heard does not hold well in latex tubes but I had a few cannisters so figured I could top it off if needed.  I did top it off about 40 miles later and resumed riding.  Don't have a pressure number, but it felt fine when I pushed on it and when I resumed riding it.

A few miles later on a steep descent I had a blowout that sounded like a bomb went off and nearly wrecked my bike.  Instant deflation to 0 psi and tire somehow staying on the rim while I stopped using just my front brake during a terrible wobble.  Removed the tube and upon inspection found the blowout just a few mm outside of the patch I had put on earlier, as well as tiny blisters all over the perimeter of the patch (I assume CO2 had leaked out of the tube via osmosis but gotten trapped under the patch).  This puncture seemed to also be a tiny little puncture, but was not caused by a foreign object that I could tell.  I can't imagine the pinhole I saw causing the explosion I experienced.

I replaced the tube with a butyl tube and the rest of the ride was uneventful.  There was no foreign object in the tire, so I'm convinced the second failure was the result of some combination of latex tube + CO2 + patch + lots of braking (heat) on the savageman course?????

Questions:
- can I experience a "blowout" from a pinhole?
- how did all that air escape so fast with my tire on the rim?  There is no evidence of sidewall damage on my tire.
- why would the tube have failed again just outside of the patch?
- what's the best thing to do when you have a blowout going 30mph downhill?  I was trying to steer towards the edge of the road so I coudl bail into the grass if I could, but somehow came to a stop without losing it.
2010-09-09 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
The only thing I can really answer for you is my experience with a blowout on a decent.  I was going roughly 35 mph, hit a shale rock which ripped my tire.  I had a similar instant flat but no blowout.   I knew I was going down, staightened out the bike in and upright position (leaning will pull the tire away and you'll go down hard) bled the brakes, until I hit a turn and I couldn't go straight anymore.  I went off the road and tactically fell.  Luckily there was a berm that stopped me from going down a steep hill. 

According to my Garmin I went down at about 18 mph;  it almost seemed like the speed actually helped me from getting hurt as I just rolled (I unclipped and bailed).

Glad you're okay, blowouts can be scary in the wrong spots.

2010-09-09 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
GRB1 - 2010-09-09 10:51 AM I'm down to the last couple of days prior to my IM, I can't believe it has been a year since I signed up! 

Greg

Sorry Pete and Fred, I got my names backwards, no offense Pete.  As you can imagine my mind is elsewhere that and my boss' name is Pete.  Anyway...

Fred, thanks again for putting together this group and being a great example for us.

Greg
2010-09-09 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3089533

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
JoshKaptur - 2010-09-09 12:45 PM couple questions for the group:

Complicated flat situation:

I got a flat from a staple on my rear race wheel (staple).  Staple was removed and latex tube was patched with glue/patch properly.  Refilled with CO2, which I heard does not hold well in latex tubes but I had a few cannisters so figured I could top it off if needed.  I did top it off about 40 miles later and resumed riding.  Don't have a pressure number, but it felt fine when I pushed on it and when I resumed riding it.

A few miles later on a steep descent I had a blowout that sounded like a bomb went off and nearly wrecked my bike.  Instant deflation to 0 psi and tire somehow staying on the rim while I stopped using just my front brake during a terrible wobble.  Removed the tube and upon inspection found the blowout just a few mm outside of the patch I had put on earlier, as well as tiny blisters all over the perimeter of the patch (I assume CO2 had leaked out of the tube via osmosis but gotten trapped under the patch).  This puncture seemed to also be a tiny little puncture, but was not caused by a foreign object that I could tell.  I can't imagine the pinhole I saw causing the explosion I experienced.

I replaced the tube with a butyl tube and the rest of the ride was uneventful.  There was no foreign object in the tire, so I'm convinced the second failure was the result of some combination of latex tube + CO2 + patch + lots of braking (heat) on the savageman course?????

Questions:
- can I experience a "blowout" from a pinhole?
- how did all that air escape so fast with my tire on the rim?  There is no evidence of sidewall damage on my tire.
- why would the tube have failed again just outside of the patch?
- what's the best thing to do when you have a blowout going 30mph downhill?  I was trying to steer towards the edge of the road so I coudl bail into the grass if I could, but somehow came to a stop without losing it.

- Might be that the latex tube is not able to handle the glue and weakened it causing the blowout.

-  Rim would release high PSI air rapidly.  Every spoke hole would be a release point.

-  If rear tire blows and I have time to think vice just react, I would squeeze the seat between my legs to help control the rear end wobble.  After that it is hard front end braking and assessing the road.  You would probably have more control on a hard constant surface vice the edge of the road.  I am assuming the edge of the road is gravel/non paved.

Nice job saving the bike/yourself.  I think bike handling skills come with years of riding and helps to prepare you for just such a case.
2010-09-09 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

I'm the last individual that can give bike help.  I still tell people that I ride a "white" bike instead of an XYZ bike with XYZ components. =)

I basically have to consider my racing season over.  I've given up on time expectations for my HIM next week and for my marathon next month, so now it's time to look ahead to 2011.

Question for the group...

My new goal is to qualify for Boston.  I have to go sub 3:40.  I went a 4:06 on the Philly course (which was after a calf injury and so I was limited to running A LOT in the pool the two months before the race).  I think sub 3:40 is do able given that when I have a goal, I'll go after it (which BQing is what finally got me to go to physical therapy, so I'm really in this for real).  I have a friend who said she would help me pace to qualify and I KNOW that if I have someone to "chase" at a reasonable pace that I can hold the sub 8:20 pace... I averaged 8:09 over 9 miles and that was at a pace where I was able to carry on a conversation with slight difficulty.  (I prefaced this all because I had two people say that 26 minutes is REALLY hard to drop).

What suggestions do you have for winter training if I'm looking at a March marathon?

Should I consider Josh's philosophy of lots of slow miles and hope the speed just magically comes?  How slow should I consider slow in this case? 

I have a training plan from Runners World that I used for Philly and I loved it.  I hurt myself because I held a pace over 20 miles that I knew was too fast for a training run (I was holding a 9:20 pace when my expectation for the run was an 11 min/mile pace... I was just being dumb trying to run with the boys).

Any thoughts would be super!!

2010-09-09 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3089857

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
WittyCityGirl - 2010-09-09 3:34 PM

I'm the last individual that can give bike help.  I still tell people that I ride a "white" bike instead of an XYZ bike with XYZ components. =)

I basically have to consider my racing season over.  I've given up on time expectations for my HIM next week and for my marathon next month, so now it's time to look ahead to 2011.

Question for the group...

My new goal is to qualify for Boston.  I have to go sub 3:40.  I went a 4:06 on the Philly course (which was after a calf injury and so I was limited to running A LOT in the pool the two months before the race).  I think sub 3:40 is do able given that when I have a goal, I'll go after it (which BQing is what finally got me to go to physical therapy, so I'm really in this for real).  I have a friend who said she would help me pace to qualify and I KNOW that if I have someone to "chase" at a reasonable pace that I can hold the sub 8:20 pace... I averaged 8:09 over 9 miles and that was at a pace where I was able to carry on a conversation with slight difficulty.  (I prefaced this all because I had two people say that 26 minutes is REALLY hard to drop).

What suggestions do you have for winter training if I'm looking at a March marathon?

Should I consider Josh's philosophy of lots of slow miles and hope the speed just magically comes?  How slow should I consider slow in this case? 

I have a training plan from Runners World that I used for Philly and I loved it.  I hurt myself because I held a pace over 20 miles that I knew was too fast for a training run (I was holding a 9:20 pace when my expectation for the run was an 11 min/mile pace... I was just being dumb trying to run with the boys).

Any thoughts would be super!!

It's only my philosophy because I've adopted it from some people who are much smarter and much more experienced than I am.  Here's what worked for me:

- lose as much weight as possible.  Virtually everyone has some to lose if the goal is "ideal race weight" (I had lots, and still have more)
- run every single day.  If you can't run today because you are tired from yesterday, then shame on you for running too hard/long over the last few days.  Eventually add two-a-days where you can.  Build slowly (less than the infamous 10% weekly) within this framework and you will get up to some huge mileage.  It's okay if starting out this means you do a bunch of 2 mile runs. 
- you will get much faster following that plan, and be far less likely to get injured than if you incorporated speedwork, guaranteed.

For more information, check out "The Program" (parts 1-3) at this link.

It's really no different than the BT truism, "run lots, mostly slow, occasionally fast" except I would advocate you not run fast at all (other than ashort  race or two if you want) until you get your mileage up around 40-50 miles per week.  Even then, the best thing you could do to have a faster marathon is run more, not run fast.  But all of us eventually reach the mileage where our schedule, not our bodies, say STOP.  Once you reach that point, then begin to incorporate a weekly tempo or marathon pace run.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2010-09-09 3:21 PM
2010-09-09 4:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-09-09 4:58 PM

2010-09-09 5:34 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
GRB1 - 2010-09-09 9:51 AM I'm down to the last couple of days prior to my IM, I can't believe it has been a year since I signed up! 

Greg

Best of luck this weekend!!
2010-09-09 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3089958

Master
Dunedin
Josh, I really respect your input.  Thank you!

I just started typing questions, but decided that I should check out those links you posted first!

JoshKaptur - 2010-09-09 4:16 PM

It's only my philosophy because I've adopted it from some people who are much smarter and much more experienced than I am.  Here's what worked for me:

- lose as much weight as possible.  Virtually everyone has some to lose if the goal is "ideal race weight" (I had lots, and still have more)
- run every single day.  If you can't run today because you are tired from yesterday, then shame on you for running too hard/long over the last few days.  Eventually add two-a-days where you can.  Build slowly (less than the infamous 10% weekly) within this framework and you will get up to some huge mileage.  It's okay if starting out this means you do a bunch of 2 mile runs. 
- you will get much faster following that plan, and be far less likely to get injured than if you incorporated speedwork, guaranteed.

For more information, check out "The Program" (parts 1-3) at this link.

It's really no different than the BT truism, "run lots, mostly slow, occasionally fast" except I would advocate you not run fast at all (other than ashort  race or two if you want) until you get your mileage up around 40-50 miles per week.  Even then, the best thing you could do to have a faster marathon is run more, not run fast.  But all of us eventually reach the mileage where our schedule, not our bodies, say STOP.  Once you reach that point, then begin to incorporate a weekly tempo or marathon pace run.
2010-09-09 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3090111

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
PennState - 2010-09-09 4:35 PM Great discussions!
Greg, you must be going through taper madness right now?

Fred, full on taper madness is in full swing right now.  Going to check in tomorrow morning, this should add to the excitement.

On a side note I nearly twisted/sprained my ankle in a parking lot pot hole today.  Thankfully I had my flight boots on today and they prevented a full on twist.    Just tweaked it but I saw a year of training flash before my eyes.  Feels fine should not be an issue.
2010-09-10 7:52 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
Best of luck Greg.  Time to chill now, and then leave it all on the course on Sunday.

By "leave it all on the course" I mean pace yourself appropriately/conservatively until mile 130, obviously

2010-09-10 12:25 PM

Expert
Best of luck greg! I hope you get everything out of the race that you desire...whatever that means to you.

Josh...thats pretty darn scary and a good thing u were able to keep from going down. I dont have any experience with flats like that...so im no help

Keep up the great training everyone!
2010-09-10 2:19 PM

2010-09-11 6:12 AM
in reply to: #3091888

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-09-10 3:19 PM 2 days Greg!

Go Greg!! Looking forward to watching your times tomorrow!!

2010-09-12 4:48 AM

2010-09-12 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3093309

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-09-12 3:48 AM What's Greg's bib#?

#1340  according to his post on here a couple of weeks ago.

2010-09-12 10:42 AM

Expert
Greg is out of the water in 1:30:50.

You can track him here

GO GREG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2010-09-12 12:56 PM

2010-09-12 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3093651

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-09-12 1:56 PM Isn't Ideal Muse (Margot) doing this race too?

Yes she is, good catch!!

2010-09-12 2:18 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

More proof that the run often, run slow program works!  5 plus minute PR at my half this morning on the same course my previous PR was set! 

1:51:53 vs 1:46:30!

Edited by kenj 2010-09-12 2:18 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121