BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-12-14 7:23 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED

Brenda last I talked to her she had not signed up and had not been trail running so I'm not sure if she will do it or not. I'll have to text her and see. Are you?

I have been such a wimp about the weather this year. Other years I layer up and don't let the cold get me down but this year I have been hiding inside. I have not even been walking the dogs at all. I tried baking some Christmas cookies the other night and burnt an oven mitt to a total black crisp and our entire house smells awful. Last night I couldn't take that smell anymore so I finally decided to bundle up and get some fresh air and took the dogs for a walk. It was sleeting, wind in my face, 32 degrees though so not so cold and I thought well this isn't so bad after all. So maybe I can get through the winter after all . Now this morning we have a couple of inches of fresh fallen snow and it is still coming down. I am wondering if my hybrid bike could handle riding on the snow at the state park? What do you all think? I'm thinking of giving it a try later but I have a flat on that bike again.

2013-12-14 10:14 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Yes, I'm signed up for the HUFF 50K, DINAKARL, it's on Saturday, December 28th.

I don't even think of taking a bike of any type out in the winter but I'm a wimp and you're not, DINA.   I'm so jealous of you having a state park close where traffic would be light.   If it sounds fun and the flat tire is an easy fix then go for it!  The snow is still coming down here so I'll be getting some cross-training in by shoveling. 

2013-12-14 1:16 PM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by jenbmosley

As far as getting a custom bike fit session done, do you recommend having it done?

Marathon training is coming along well. I am getting a fourth run, but I don't demand a lot of myself on that fourth run. It is usually between 2 and 3 miles with no gear - no watch, no phone, no timing.

Stats from last week's long run and this week's:

17.39 miles / 3:42:32 / 12:48 avg pace / Temp: 75° start, 71°  and raining at finish

18.89 miles / 3:40:07/ 11:39 avg pace / Temp: 32° start, 37° at finish

As Warren and Tony have already stated, get the bike fit.  I have been putting my fit off for a year or more because of the expense but I always knew I would need/get one before I did an IM.  The comfort is the biggest single reason to get the fit before IM.  You certainly don't want to do 112 miles on a bike and be uncomfortable that long.  6+ hours of being slightly uncomfortable could be disastrous when you're looking at a full marathon afterward.

(I had gotten a more unrefined bike fit 2 years ago when I purchased my TT bike.  The fot had only taken about 45-60 minutes and they used only protractors and other rudimentary tools.  The Retul fit is a much more precise fitting.)

Marathon training:  I'm pretty happy that you're able to get the 4th run a week in.  I feel it will make a solid difference in how well you perform and how well you recover afterward.  I also think it can be a good idea to go out for some runs with nothing attached to you.  It allows you to have a more focused feel for your body because you're not staring at a watch or HR monitor.  Although I am not interested in the temperature variations in a weeks time.  I have done things like that but it's hard on your body to go from one extreme to the other in such a short period of time, particularly from cold to hot.  Becoming acclimated to cold temps and then trying to have a similar run after a 20 degree upward swing is almost impossible.

Enjoy your training and keep up the good work getting to the start line.

2013-12-14 9:33 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Vero sorry to hear about the shin splints acting up on you again. I hope you are feeling better and I hope that you can get beyond that so you can get back to running pain free.

Dina hope your feeling better too. Same weather here, it's been pretty cold and we got snow today but it's raining now so it'll be a big mess come tomorrow. Thankfully not much snow but it didn't last long. X2 on the cold, I used be able to deal with it but I think when my weight went from 190 to 170 pounds it was all over. I can no longer deal with it. I've been walking the dog and I've been getting one MTN bike ride and one run outdoors on the weekend but all other training has been indoors.

Warren glad t see you checking in this week as well. I hope you are feeling better as well.

Brenda good luck with the upcoming 50K glad to see that you are going to run that.

Dirk hope the bad weather hasn't created extra work for you and the rest of your crews.

I got my first MTN bike ride in the snow today. It was freezing cold, my hands and feet were numb after the ride. I think it took me a good hour to thaw out and two hours to get some feeling back in my feet. It was snowing the whole ride and I had ice hanging off of my face at the end of the ride. Regardless of the cold it was a lot of fun. We took it slow as it was pretty slick and my tires are not ideal for climbing hills in the snow. I had a hard time with that along with trying to stay warm while riding. It was pretty cool to be out there though and the trail was gorgeous with the snow and all. Just nice to be out there. I'm hoping to get a trail run in tomorrow but I'm doubting we'll be able to do that since the trails will probably be a mess after all the rain tonight. We'll see how that goes.
2013-12-14 10:56 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
2 observations today

Sufferfest Local Hero is no joke? I was about 1hr into the workout and went to sit up out of the aero position and did not have the energy to lift myself up! So instead of sitting up resting I just layed on my handle bars, well at least until the next interval came up. That was a fun 1.5 hrs!

The other observation, Sara is not ready to entertain the idea of me doing an Ironman. Started to discuss the idea today and she wanted nothing to do with it, something about me disappearing for the summer. Stated I have would have to do all my training before work and although I have tried I cannot do mornings. I am hoping I can start laying the ground work to sign up for lake placid or Mont Treblant in 2015. May have to push it out another year or 2 though.
2013-12-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by pistuo Hey friends, I'm looking for some help creating a WO to strengthen core. -I've never really worked out with weights, so I have little experience in that arena. -I'm looking for a 30-45 minute core WO (so it will be easy for me to get it in 1-2 times per week, even during lunch break if needed) -would love to have just 1 or 2 WO's (instead of a new one every time) -Prefer something simple. Of course, I do want it to be effective as well... so if complex is way more effective, then I'll try it. Does anyone have a recommendation of a WO like this that I can do at my gym? Thanks!

Ok, I am trying this again!  Last night I had a post already to go and during the "proof read" I hit one of those awesome shortcuts and closed the tab.........no recovery of my post.

.....Knowing you haven't done much o f this type of work before I feel you can achieve a substantial benefit in only 15-20 minutes, twice a week.  Could you do better to do it 3x a week?  Sure, but if you're doing other workouts 2x is sufficient.

1. Front planks
  2. Side planks (both sides, obviously)
  3. Bicycles - Seen here
  4. Supermans and Swimmers - Seen here
  5. Sit-ups

All of these could be started with 30 second intervals and increase as tolerated (interpreted as not as mind numbingly painful).  30 seconds on and 30 seconds off could work well as a starter.

As I wrote the post yesterday I thought it might be a good group challenge to do 15 minutes of core work 2x a week for all of us.  I know I could use some core work!  Who's in?  We can use each other as accountability partners through the forum.

2013-12-15 11:14 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Tony (and everyone else),  Snow is usually not an issue when it comes to storm work unless the snow is wet and heavy and we get a mountain full of it or someone crashes into a pole.  There have only been a handful of times I have had many issues with snow in my 26 years doing line work.  Of course now I know what I've done to myself by making that statement.

It also sounds like you experienced some of my almost normal winter working life in the after effects of your ride.........numb fingers and toes, and going to bed several hours after coming inside after work still feeling the effects of the cold.  And we have had some pretty cold weather the past few days.

Matt,  I checked on the Local Hero workout.  I may look that up following my current training plan (from TR) and see if I can survive it.  Right now I am taxing myself by using the Low Volume III plan BUT I am adding an extra 2+ hour ride in a hard intensity with long intervals.  The extra long ride is what I feel is taxing my legs.  The plan isn't particularly hard if done as written (at least that's my thought) but trying to ride 5-6 hours in 3 days doing long, hard intervals is driving me in the ground and my legs are begging for the break right now.

IM training?  I think you're making the right call.  If Sara isn't on board it's not going to work.  Besides, as family oriented as you are I think waiting is the best decision you'll make!  Consider some of the thoughts you have about your dad (as stated in older posts).  If you're doing all of your training, would you be around for your kids as much as you like?  All of your kids are in sports and during IM training you are going to miss some of that.  I doubt that's what you're really looking to do.  You'll have the opportunity to do IM as life slows a bit later.  Take your time and get faster, then when you hit the IM course you'll blow it up!

2013-12-15 11:29 AM

User image

I've lost posts the same way DIRK, and it's SO frustrating!      I'm IN on your core work challenge and will start on the first one today as we watch football and the Survivor finale. 

MATT, I agree with Dirk on the IM scheduling.   You're at a place where Sara and the kids need you to be available and involved in what they're doing.   You're still young so you have a lot of years left (Lord willing) to fit an IM in.

Blessings to you all on this Sunday afternoon!

2013-12-15 12:17 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Bronze member

I've been getting in my core work for a while now so you can count me in for that challenge. I met with the personal trainer last week and she put planks in my plan. The twist being as I advance instead of holding the plank for longer time, make it more challenging by moving my body forward a little during the hold and then to either side. I shake like crazy during a plank so I've a way to go before I worry about making it more challenging .

2013-12-15 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt I have to agree with everyone on the IM training. It is very time consuming, my free time was essentially used along with whatever training time I could manage. Dirk is right as well about having your family onboard to support you. I was very fortunate to have my entire family onboard and helping me out in order to get my workouts done. I could never have accomplished that without them and am grateful that they did that for me. There are training plans that will consume less time but its more important to have your family fully support you. I have no doubt you'll be able to finish an Ironman when the right situation presents itself.

Dirk maybe I should get in on that challenge as well. I've been a total slacker since the end of October and will be gearing up to start my outseason come January.

I was able to get out and get that trail run in today. It was 8.34 miles on the Garmin but probably around 8.5 miles. I started the Garmin slightly late just after starting. I was surprised the trail was in as good a shape as it was after the snow it rained very hard last night. It was soft and slick in a few spots and a few puddles here and there but not bad. Plus it was warmer than yesterday, I think it was 24 degrees when we were riding yesterday. Good run overall as you can't beat the scenery and much better than running on the treadmill or doing a ride on the trainer. This is the first week in months that I've hit 20 miles running for the week. Talk about being a slacker but I'm really glad I was able to get 3 runs in this week.
2013-12-16 12:40 PM

User image

Bronze member

The latest edition of "you know your a Junkie when".....

I was helping Gabe study for a science test last night. His test is all about force, friction, lubrication, axles, wheels. You know your a Junkie when you use your bike to help your son review his science lesson and teach him how to lube a bike chain . Funny thing was he thought it was really fun!

2013-12-16 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Originally posted by DirkP

As far as getting a custom bike fit session done, do you recommend having it done?

Marathon training is coming along well. I am getting a fourth run, but I don't demand a lot of myself on that fourth run. It is usually between 2 and 3 miles with no gear - no watch, no phone, no timing.

Stats from last week's long run and this week's:

17.39 miles / 3:42:32 / 12:48 avg pace / Temp: 75° start, 71°  and raining at finish

18.89 miles / 3:40:07/ 11:39 avg pace / Temp: 32° start, 37° at finish

As Warren and Tony have already stated, get the bike fit.  I have been putting my fit off for a year or more because of the expense but I always knew I would need/get one before I did an IM.  The comfort is the biggest single reason to get the fit before IM.  You certainly don't want to do 112 miles on a bike and be uncomfortable that long.  6+ hours of being slightly uncomfortable could be disastrous when you're looking at a full marathon afterward.

(I had gotten a more unrefined bike fit 2 years ago when I purchased my TT bike.  The fot had only taken about 45-60 minutes and they used only protractors and other rudimentary tools.  The Retul fit is a much more precise fitting.)

Marathon training:  I'm pretty happy that you're able to get the 4th run a week in.  I feel it will make a solid difference in how well you perform and how well you recover afterward.  I also think it can be a good idea to go out for some runs with nothing attached to you.  It allows you to have a more focused feel for your body because you're not staring at a watch or HR monitor.  Although I am not interested in the temperature variations in a weeks time.  I have done things like that but it's hard on your body to go from one extreme to the other in such a short period of time, particularly from cold to hot.  Becoming acclimated to cold temps and then trying to have a similar run after a 20 degree upward swing is almost impossible.

Enjoy your training and keep up the good work getting to the start line.

Dirk - It was actually a 40º drop in temperature. I did a 5 mile run this morning around a pond here in town and had to take the bridges slow; it was 30 degrees and the bridges were iced over. I didn't feel warmed up until I got to mile 5 and by then my run was over. My biggest concern with the temperature swings right now is the increased chance of getting a cold.

Good to know about the bike fit. I may have it done for my birthday at the end of January.

2013-12-16 1:42 PM

User image

That's too funny, DINA!   Way to be creative in a teachable moment.  

Good job on getting out in the freezing weather, JENN.   Something I do when it's cold is keep throat lozenges in my mouth while I'm running.   The honey and menthol taste good and keep my throat soothed.  

2013-12-16 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Originally posted by bswcpa

I've lost posts the same way DIRK, and it's SO frustrating!      I'm IN on your core work challenge and will start on the first one today as we watch football and the Survivor finale. 

MATT, I agree with Dirk on the IM scheduling.   You're at a place where Sara and the kids need you to be available and involved in what they're doing.   You're still young so you have a lot of years left (Lord willing) to fit an IM in.

Blessings to you all on this Sunday afternoon!

I'm up for the core challenge too.. In fact I just did a core workout with the personal trainer in the gym this morning. He is not training me, we just did the workout together while he waited for his next clients to come in.

Matt-  IM discussion.... I can definitely give you an idea of what is going on in my life so far.... my girls just turned 3 and 5. I decided to sign up for an IM next September for a few  reasons. With my girls being so young, I know once they are in school that life is going to get much, much busier. Second, since I took the job at the gym, I can squeeze some workouts in and I am also taking this time to figure out if my husband and I want to invest in a gym franchise. My husband knows I am training for an IM and I am learning to juggle some priorities... never miss a long run and when the hubby starts to get grumpy, rearrange a short run to spend time with him. Plus, "me" time is training time.... which means anything that isn't a NEEDED "to-do" item, is getting pushed back past next September. So far, we have a great balance and I know that coming months are going to get intense..... but, it is not a permanent change to our routine.... and that is what I have to remind myself of. So far, I have had an amazing ride and I thoroughly enjoying the training process..... ask me how I feel in 6 months and I might have a different response.

2013-12-16 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Thank you everyone for the input on the Ironman training.  I know it is a large time commitment and that it would put a lot of stress on everyone.  Which is why I would not even consider it if Sara isn't on board.  My goal all a long has been to do a Ironman before I turn 40, which is in 2016.  I think if I miss it by a few months or even a few years its not going to be an issue.  I started this path as a sport, now its a habit and way of life so I plan on doing these for a long time coming.

I am definitely in for the core challenge, I need to work on strengthening my back and removing the jelly roll I have.

On the training front, as usual my running is rolling along.  My local running group is doing the Thanksgiving to new years streak from runners world.  Which I figured would be easy, run a few miles everyday and be good.  Then another friend decided he wanted to reach 1000 miles in 2013, and he was short by 121 miles on 12-8-2013.  So me being the goof I am accepted the challenge and created a solid plan to reach the distance, starting on Sunday (10,3,5,3,5,3,3).  A few of the mid-distance go up to 6 and The long run increases every 2 weeks and is 13.1 on the last day (12-31) to reach the goal.  So far so good, but I think my legs are going to be toast on 1-1-2014.  I think this will help though with the trail races I have planned on 1-11 and 1-12.

My next step is to start swimming again, my thought is to do 1000yds Monday thru Thursday and then throw in a 3000yd swim on Fridays.  The reason for this is I cannot get up early and can utilize my lunch time during the week, Friday nights the pool is open and the kids enjoy the time at the pool.  Would this schedule be beneficial or should I find a better way to spend my time.  

2013-12-16 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt that's pretty cool that your friend is going to go for 1000 miles and you are along for the ride. I'm 35 miles away from 1000 and have a few weeks to do it. I definitely want to hit 1000 miles as well so I'll be running a little more just to make sure I get there. What I really wanted was 5000 miles on the bike. I'm going to fall short there I'd need almost 300 miles to do it and I won't be able to reach that and am not about to kill myself to do it. I should be able to get to at least 4800 miles and I'll be happy with that.

2013-12-16 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Wow Tony, 4800 miles on the bike is one heck of an accomplishment!  I hit 1000 miles running last week, but only have 2000 miles on the bike.  I think this is something I definitely want to improve on in 2014.  Become more consistent on the bike, maybe hit around 4000 miles or so.  I am think of doing a weekend bike tour in May that is around 200 miles over 2 days, which would (Should) motivate me to get more miles in during the winter/spring.  

I am not even going to discuss swim distance!

2013-12-17 4:52 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos

My next step is to start swimming again, my thought is to do 1000yds Monday thru Thursday and then throw in a 3000yd swim on Fridays.  The reason for this is I cannot get up early and can utilize my lunch time during the week, Friday nights the pool is open and the kids enjoy the time at the pool.  Would this schedule be beneficial or should I find a better way to spend my time.  

I think this would provide some decent benefit.  If you haven't been swimming much at all, getting anything in, especially on back to back days, there should be some fitness gains.  A focused effort should be used to make sure you maximize your potential by having a plan for each workout.  Some long (-ish) sets of 200 and short sets of 50 varying intensity can help quite a bit.  Save the long stuff for your Friday swims. 

Speaking of swimming, I am likely getting closer to being at 1 minute for a 100 sprint.  I swam yesterday and was able hit 1:15 for my first interval of 16.  By the time I was able to reach my lap button it was recorded as 1:17.  I am thinking of giving an all out sprint at 100 a go the next time I swim to what I can do.  I am certain I will not be faster than 1:10 (at best) but I am getting closer to a goal I have held for a while.

2013-12-17 6:03 AM

User image

I really despise you, DIRK.  I would be amazingly happy to put two 100's together at 2:15 each.   You're sick at swimming.       

With MATT and TONY talking about their annual distances I had to go and check mine.   I've not looked at the numbers before and it turns out I'm really pitiful in comparison to those Junkie studs.     

I'm heading to the pool this morn to see how close I can come to doing doubling Dirk's 100 time.   

2013-12-17 7:43 AM

User image

Bronze member

Dirk those swim times are sickening! Nice job!

I've decided I'm going to follow your model of returning to running again so I'm going to stalk your blog and just try to do what you have done. When did you start back to running? Sometime in November? My groin is still not 100% but better so fingers crossed if I have some patience, do my foam rolling, improve my strength with the personal training sessions, maybe I can get back on track. I'm starting to not care very much anymore if I run at all........... I might need a Junkie intervention soon.

2013-12-17 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk those are some smoking fast swim times. I can only dream about that right now. I'm lucky if I can do those 100's in double that time lol.

Brenda I've seen your totals and they are pretty solid for the year. Don't worry, I guarantee you'll have massive bike mileage this coming season training for your Ironman. I can't believe I racked up that much mileage chasing my friends around Long Island. I can say that it really paid off though and I found that I really do love riding the bike. Now if I can only feel that way about swimming lol.

Dina I can't blame you for feeling the way you do about running given all the injuries you've had to battle through. Don't give up on it, and maybe just getting back slowly and taking it easy and following Dirk's lead might be helpful in getting you back to being able to run healthy.

2013-12-18 4:34 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Feel free to stalk Dina.  I am certainly taking it slower than I would like.  I want to be running 20-25 MPW so badly.  It's the proverbial carrot dangling in front of me and it dangling way out in front of me but within sight.  I am not sure I have approached anything in my life with such patience.  I am a man of little patience almost all of the time, which is likely what has gotten me into many messes.

2013-12-18 5:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

I may be doing some blog stalking as well..... however, I'm not sure it would help.... yesterday was the first day back in the pool after an unintentional 6 week break.

My 8 mile run yesterday morning was one of the toughest runs to finish (in the past 3 weeks). Tired legs... tired, tired, tired. The temperature swings are a bit tough to handle and I am trying to pay attention to my immune system so I don't get a cold. It was 32 degrees yesterday morning and warmed up to almost 70 by the afternoon. It is supposed to be close to 80 degrees this weekend.

Grateful for a short run and yoga today. 

Edited by jenbmosley 2013-12-18 5:08 AM
2013-12-18 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Dirk, you must have gills! GREAT job!
Brenda, good luck on your Ultra!!!!!
Matt, good luck w/ your decision about IM. Remember, if wife ain't happy, no one is happy! lol
Yea Jenn, the weather has been up and down, it is difficult to know how to dress.
Tony, I hope you are doing well too.
Dina, take it easy, get ready for 2014 all healed up.

yea I do core every day for 15 - 30 minutes w/ generally no rest but that also includes stretching..
Ya'll keep training hard!
2013-12-18 7:29 AM

User image

Bronze member

I may be doing some blog stalking as well..... however, I'm not sure it would help.... yesterday was the first day back in the pool after an unintentional 6 week break.

My 8 mile run yesterday morning was one of the toughest runs to finish (in the past 3 weeks). Tired legs... tired, tired, tired. The temperature swings are a bit tough to handle and I am trying to pay attention to my immune system so I don't get a cold. It was 32 degrees yesterday morning and warmed up to almost 70 by the afternoon. It is supposed to be close to 80 degrees this weekend.

Grateful for a short run and yoga today. 

Good job getting it done. Jeez, sounds like you don't know whether to run the furnace or the air conditioning!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114