BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-06-23 2:39 AM
in reply to: #2936005

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL
Thanks Brian and Amber. The fit on the mask is good, so weird having the re-sealing problem, possibly I over tightened them. At the moment I'm thinking I'll wear my old set for the race this weekend, and sort it out after that!

Brian, have an awesome IM this weekend. I'll think of you going for another EIGHT HOURS (unbelievable), when I finish my two hour event :-), and will use that thought as motivation to find energy on my run section!

2010-06-24 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2801642

User image

Expert
Good luck Brian!!!!!! 
2010-06-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2940730

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Thanks Katie.

As some of you might know I trained for my first Ironman beginning in the fall of 2006 and through the winter of 2007 only to get hit by a car eight weeks before the race at St. Anthony’s in St. Petersburg, FL.  The impact from the wreck broke my collarbone and took me out of the race.  Despite having a titanium rod inserted into my clavicle and therefore the inability to swim until 6 weeks before the race I finished Ironman Florida that fall.  Since then I had always thought that there was unfinished business in Coeur d’Alene; something I will take care of this weekend.

If you want to track my progress on race day then there are two ways, each complements each other.  The first is through the “Athlete Tracker” at Ironman.com.  Come race day the “Athlete Tracker” link should be prominently displayed on the main page - as well as a link to live coverage and a webcam. Just enter in my bib number - #1254 - and it should show progress as it relates to specific check points along the course.  

Another way is via a tracking device that will pinpoint my position on the race course.  I was hoping for Trakkers to be out there as that is a more proven, effective device but they are not doing CdA. The alternative is a company that uses a cellular device to relay your position on the course … I am somewhat suspect of it but know that for any information for Steph + the kids to track on the course is better than none as it is hard to know when you might be coming by on the bike + run.  Anyway, that information is below.

The goal for this race is to race the day that is given me.  The race for me starts at Mile 10 of the run, with Mile 20 being when I start to really race this race.  If I had a time goal it would be to beat the IMFL time of 12:44 on what is a tougher course (and much, much colder water as today’s water temp is 55*).  Despite being a cold and wet winter - and lately a string of 90*+ days - I have not missed much in workouts and have PR’ed just about every race leading up to this one … so I hope to continue that streak!

Thanks much for being part of this mentor group.  I feel like the ramp-up to the IM has been all consuming but look at the progress you all have madeover the past weeks and know that you are on the right path.  I will be thinking of you all on the course!

- Brian

IM CdA Tracking links:

Your web addresses for the Shadow you are getting are:

from computers and iPhone: www.TrackMyAthlete.com/vemap.aspx?name=046354

from Blackberrys, Palms, PDA's;  www.TrackMyAthlete.com/pda.aspx?name=046354

Apparently all you do is click on the link and it will take you to where I am on the course. If you use the link on a smart phone then you will have to hit "refresh" in order to get updates, otherwise it is supposed to be in real time.

The bib number is 1254 for Ironman Athlete Tracker.

Leaving today ... bring it on!

crazyalaskian - 2010-06-24 8:45 AM Good luck Brian!!!!!! 
2010-06-25 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys! It was fun reading over all the post I've missed. Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. Looks like you've been working hard! Hope the training continues to go well. Brian, I hope you have a great race on Sunday and hopefully I'll get to see you finish! Have fun everyone

-Erica
2010-06-27 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Looks like Brian settled his score with IMCdA!  12:40:00 ish.  Congratulations Brian!

http://ironmanlive.com/tracking.php?race=coeurdalene&year=2010  Bib # 1254

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-06-28 11:18 AM
2010-06-28 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2947248

User image

Expert
ray6foot7 - 2010-06-27 10:46 PM Looks like Brian settle his score with IMCdA!  12:40:00 ish.  Congratulations Brian!

http://ironmanlive.com/tracking.php?race=coeurdalene&year=2010  Bib # 1254

Correction...... SUB 12:40 Smile

Great job, Brian!  I hope you enjoyed it!

2010-06-28 9:46 PM

User image

Nashville, TN
YAY!!!  GO BRIAN!!!! Conragulations!!
2010-07-02 3:32 AM

User image

Nashville, TN
So I must be having some subconscious anxiety about the race. I still have a little less than 2 months to go.  I had a dream that I showed up to the race on the wrong day.  Then I went back on the right day, but didn't have my goggles, swim cap, or my bike!!  It was a very stressful dream..LOL.  I was glad when I woke up that it was really just a dream!
2010-07-02 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I had the same dream before my sprint last month and it is about my 20th tri.  I think it's perfectly normal.  Someone told me that a little pre-race nerves are a good thing.  It sounds like you are just as crazy as the rest of us.Laughing
2010-07-03 11:47 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Hey Guys,

Back in the saddle so to speak ... thanks for the well wishes for the race.  It was a good albeit long day.

How goes your training?  Post here here thoughts on where you are vis-a-vis where you started 6-8 weeks ago.  Also, thinking that we should probably do the swim, bike and run time trials again to guage fitness ... but will put it up for a vote.

Vote "yes" or "no" with your reply.

Viva le Tour!
2010-07-03 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2959695

User image

Nashville, TN

How goes your training?  Post here here thoughts on where you are vis-a-vis where you started 6-8 weeks ago.  Also, thinking that we should probably do the swim, bike and run time trials again to guage fitness ... but will put it up for a vote.

Vote "yes" or "no" with your reply.

I think that would be a great idea.  I feel like I have come light years from where I was when we started.  I still have a long way to go, but  I am getting better.  I have a lot of people who have decided that they are coming to watch me race.  I hope I don't fall off my bike!!!!  The one thing that took getting used to with my new road bike was my balance on the bike.  It was so much smaller and lighter than my other one.  I always felt like I was going to fall over, but that too has improved.  Practive makes Perfect... or in my case a little better than I was Laughing

2010-07-04 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2959695

User image

Veteran
Hey Brian, welcome back. After your race I reckon sitting in a saddle is probably still a bit painful! Yep would be good to run the speed tests again. re: how we've come along: I looked at my training blog for two months ago. Long swim was 24 minutes and 1500m, latest long swim was 50min and 2500m (thats 67% further!). Long run was 41min for 7.6kms, latest long run was 51min for 9.7km (28% further, and slightly faster pace). Long ride was 1:29 covering 38km, latest long ride was 1:38 covering 46.5km (22% further, and with an 11% faster pace). In all cases - possibly with the exception of the swimming - despite the longer distances and quicker paces the training sessions are generally feeling easier to complete. Now I know these are nothing like the distances that a lot of you are doing, but I am delighted with the improvement, and feel that training is going to plan. I'd like to add that the advice, "inspires", and general contact with other people doing the same/similar stuff that the mentor group has provided has been brilliant, and definitely made the training feel less of a "solo" sport. Smile
2010-07-06 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2960631

User image

Expert
I figured those fitness tests were coming up soon.  I'm definitely going to try to get those in but the next few weeks are going to be killer.  I'm going to Alaska next Wednesday for 2 weeks and have lots to do before then, including an Olympic in Chattanooga on Sunday.

I'm excited to do my training in Alaska but also nervous about it. 

The up side is:  I'm on vacation (so less work, not likely no work), I have pretty reliable babysitters, I have a pool within walking distance of my house, I think I can garner up training partners for short workouts.

The down side is:  No road or tri bike...just a hybrid with platform pedals (which is going to be murder for 5 and 6.5 hr bike rides), no masters swimming, nowhere nice to bike or ride without driving somewhere, no greenways so I'm not really sure where to go for long runs, no training partners for the long stuff....oh, and HILLS.  Sad thing is that while GA is pretty hilly, those things they call mountains here are reallly just hills in AK and the only places I know to bike are full of them.  Oh, and wanting to enjoy vacation, drink lots of my brother's beer, spend time with family, etc.
2010-07-06 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I know there are a lot of posts on BT about getting a good fit.  I was always kind of skeptical at how much difference it would make.  This winter I put bull horns and a fast forward seat post on my road bike.  Once the mileage started increasing with IM training I started getting hip pain when I ran.  I assumed it was from ramping my running mileage up too fast.  After receiving  weeks of therapy my chiro recommended to my wife that I get a fitting done at the LBS.  With enough nagging verbally repetetive suggestions from my wife, I finally broke down and made an appointment.  My seat was too high, handlebars were too high, and most importantly my seat was too far forward (3 1/2 inches).  After two rides I can tell a HUGE difference.  This past Monday was the first Monday in quite a while that my hip wasn't inflamed and sore.   Also all lower back pain, neck pain, shoulder discomfort, etc.... are gone.  If you are suffering from any discomfort on the bike I highly recommend getting a good fitting from a qualified person.  It's the best $200.00 I have spent on triathlon. (and it's cheaper than therapy and medicine!)
2010-07-07 3:42 AM
in reply to: #2963017

User image

Veteran
Great to hear. I've been thinking about getting a fitting done, there's a local biking personality who has set up a coffee shop/bike shop, and does fittings. I'm going to book in after next Tri (I don't want to change anything before then).
2010-07-08 3:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Did 5km run test this morning. Time was 24 minutes. This compares to 25:40 when we did the tests in late April. So about 7% faster. I'm very happy with this. My running goal for this year is to complete the run in Augusts OLY in 50 minutes. This is still looking a stretch  (I have yet to do a 10km run in 50 minutes - let alone after the swim and bike!...and actually I've only done one 10km run so far). But it feels more feasible than it did a couple of months ago Smile.

Edited by Rod1 2010-07-08 3:38 AM

2010-07-08 9:31 PM

User image

Nashville, TN
Holy Cow!!!!  I can't believe how much time difference my bike time is!!!!!!

My last time run of 5 miles was 46:16.....

Today my 5 miles was 20:33  Whoa!!!  I imagine this is my most improved area, but still have the other 2 to time trial!!!!

YAY!!!! Laughing
2010-07-09 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2969796

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
outtashape momma - 2010-07-08 9:31 PM Holy Cow!!!!  I can't believe how much time difference my bike time is!!!!!!

Today my 5 miles was 20:33  Whoa!!!  I imagine this is my most improved area, but still have the other 2 to time trial!!!!

YAY!!!! Laughing

That is awesome!  That is just the beginning of a long string of PR's in your future.  Keep it up!
2010-07-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2970296

User image

Expert
ray6foot7 - 2010-07-09 9:17 AM
outtashape momma - 2010-07-08 9:31 PM Holy Cow!!!!  I can't believe how much time difference my bike time is!!!!!!

YAY!!!! Laughing

That is awesome!  That is just the beginning of a long string of PR's in your future.  Keep it up!

^^^^ X2

Seriously.  That is amazing.  Good job!

2010-07-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2970850

User image

Regular
crazyalaskian - 2010-07-09 9:04 AM
ray6foot7 - 2010-07-09 9:17 AM

YAY!!!! Laughing

^^^^ X2

Seriously.  That is amazing.  Good job!

That is awesome!!!

Whew first time on a computer in a long time. Probably not a bad thing to take a break from technology, but I miss checking up on BT.

Great race Brian! I must have just missed you at the finish. I caught athletes there until 9:00 and I looked for you but must have missed you somehow. Good job!
2010-07-11 8:32 PM

Regular
Augusta, GA
Rod and Amber, You've both made great progress. Feel proud!
How did Chattanooga go Katie? Looking forward to reading your log, but in the meantime have a great vacation!!!
Ray, I'm so glad you got fitted. It's the best thing I did for comfort on the bike too. But be sure to mark your seat post for height and all that in case your seat somehow gets moved (mine did in a fall), then you can put it back where it should be. I didn't get refitted right away because I knew I was going to get tri bars for my birthday, but I was sooooo uncomfortable after I tried to do the adjustments on my own. Now I've got tri bars and am VERY happy and cycling much faster.

I've been pretty quiet here these last few weeks, but as always I'm logging workouts about once a week. Even so, I've also been lurking (despite failure to post on this board) to see how ya'll are doing and I'm amazed by everybody's progress, work, and the good time you're having while doing it. Nice to get inspired by you all!!!

Brian, I'll do my time trials again soon, this week hopefully. In 3 weeks, I'll redo a tri that I did last year. Really looking forward to see if I can do better than last year. I'm hopeful.

Everybody, have a great week! ?
? 

2010-07-11 8:49 PM

Regular
Augusta, GA
Brian, I'm glad you are getting us to look back and see how we're doing. I never did a bike time trial, but I checked my first logs here a year ago. My first long bike ride June 2009 was 27 miles in 2 hours2. This June I did this ride in 1hour30. I'll take it. 
2010-07-13 4:44 PM

Regular
Augusta, GA

Swim time trial results: 1m23 for 100yds; last time 1m25. So I improved by a couple seconds. Not much, but I manage one swim session per week on average so I can't expect much either.

2010-07-14 2:56 AM
in reply to: #2978715

User image

Veteran
Amber fantastic improvement in the ride time - you must LOVE your new bike! Beth 25% improvement in your long ride time over 12 months - Wow.
2010-07-14 9:33 PM

Regular
Augusta, GA
Run time trial: 6 weeks ago--27:10, today 26:20. Of course I was inside today on the treadmill not in the hot sun on the track.
But the best news is that I had something left so I went ahead and did a 10k and very nearly did a PR of 56:20 which included about a mile of walking!!! I was having a hard time believing this, but between my watch and the treadmill clock...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13