BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-06-09 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Dayton OH
Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - CLOSED

I was able to return to training today!!!!

I have not been able to do any training but weight lifting because of my ankle for the last 10 days. It was killing me! I got my friend to tape up my ankle and I went an easy 4 miles last night. I was so glad. My ankle felt better today and I was soooo glad to be out training again. I always get a little depressed when Im stuck like that.

Im sure that everyone will do great with their tris this weekend. Calluna, be careful on the change of terrrain for the run. That is how I rolled my ankleWink

Duncan, maybe a quick zipper down that hill will get you comfortable at those crazy fast speeds.

Anyways, glad everyone is doing well.

Joel

2011-06-09 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Wow... that kinda sucked!  I've been WAY too busy lately, and haven't run in almost a week, but I decided to do 50 minutes today at lunch.... finished 6 km in about 34 minutes when I just kinda lost it... SOOOOOOO hot (and I needed to be useful this afternoon... MCing the graduation ceremony at two o'clock).

I dunno Mesteran... somedays (when I'm not bike riding) , I would gladly trade Taiwan's heat for a nice cool Icelander day!

2011-06-10 3:31 AM
in reply to: #3541998

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
DuncanQH - 2011-06-10 4:58 AM

I dunno Mesteran... somedays (when I'm not bike riding) , I would gladly trade Taiwan's heat for a nice cool Icelander day!

Maybe for 1 day, 2 days ago I got hailed on my long bike ride, and today there are fresh snow on our local "hills" Not just the top the whole thing. And my normal bike route goes to the base of the mountain/hill

I would probably have a very, very hard time training in the heat in Taiwan, but just to experience heat again would be nice !

Have a great weekend

2011-06-10 4:58 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Just saw this in todays paper
This is from the northern part of the island.
It is suppose to be SUMMER !!!!!!! Frown

So Duncan do you still want to switch ?

Do you even have clothes for this kind of weather

Edited by Mesteren 2011-06-10 4:59 AM
2011-06-11 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi gang

I hope you are enjoying the weekend.

calluna and monicasanchez0910 will both be racing tomorrow.
So why dont you jump over to there blogs and wish them good luck.

One is racing in Alaska the other in Puerto Rico but I am sure they will both do great

All you have to do is Swim, bike and then run.....now how hard is that, you do it all the time

Good luck to the both of you
2011-06-11 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3542042

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Mesteren - 2011-06-10 5:58 PM Just saw this in todays paper
This is from the northern part of the island.
It is suppose to be SUMMER !!!!!!! Frown

So Duncan do you still want to switch ?

Do you even have clothes for this kind of weather

Wow... as much as I love snow... It's June!!!  Maybe not on the switch!

On another note, had a good 24 hours here.  Yesterday afternoon I made it into Taipei to the store "Fun Triathlon".  I was chatting with the owner for a while, picked up some race nutrition, a race belt, and a tri suit. (one peice dealy... I'll have photos after my race)  It was nice to be able to talk to someone local who has done a few races (He won his age group in his last race... and he's in my age group!!!)  Got a couple tips, learned a little about the race I'm about to do, and with any luck, I'll be able to find him at the race, since he is racing too!

Then, this morning I did 48km on the bike, followed immediately by a 5km run.  Both felt pretty good.  I've been doing a fair bit of swimming in the last couple weeks... I really feel like everything is gonna come together on Sunday and I'll have a great race!   Only 1 week to go!

2011-06-14 9:32 PM

Yieks Mesteren that looks yukky and I thought it was bad here the last weekend. Anyways I gotta get my training back on track. My little girl fell the other day and knocked her little head so we spent a lovely morning in emerge. Sitting is a skill when your 9 months that requires practice. She's okay thank goodness. And then the weather turned to crap and I just couldnt get motivated until today. Nothing like what you had though holy smokes.

2011-06-15 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
20 minute swim and an 18 minute run today... 4 days to go.  Thinking maybe another 15 ~ 20 minute run tomorrow (Thursday) and maybe a short tour of the course on Saturday afternoon... then race on Sunday morning!  Feeling pretty good about it, but I've been sooooo busy at work that I haven't had time to think about it too much, which is probably a good thing!
2011-06-16 4:07 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Besides being to busy at the moment doing fun stuff (ie. Went on a bike weekend last weekend, going to a festival tomorrow for 3 day) I bought myself a new bike yesterday. For the nerds the details.

• Brand: ROSE
  • Model: Carbon Pro-SL 3000 triple
  • Frame: 61 cm Full Carbon
  • Group: Shimano Ultegra
  • Crank: 53-39-30
  • Casette: 12-25
  • Extra's: Triathlon steer, bike computer (Sigma BC 2209 MHR)
  • Color: Black

I opted for a road bike with some alteration for tri racing (ie steer and close group 12-25) as I also want to use it to take to the mountains. I might even do the alpe d'Huzes next year. That is a charity race to collect money for research on cancer. Every entrant will collet 2500 euro minimum. In return they will close down te road to alpe d'Heuz so you can try and climb it 6 times. The "zes" in the title is dutch for 6.

To get an idea on the challange you can find the mountain profile here: http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Alpe-dHuez&MountainID=5

For reference. On of the "hills" I climbed this weekend was only this: http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Cote-du-Rosier&MountainID=615

The last one was already a hard one for my brother in law. And he is the one I'm planning to do the Alpe d'Huzes with.....

Ow and in 9 days I will go for my second tri. And I lacked in training to much to my taste. Together with a technical bike course (19 corners ) I do not think I will get close to my PB.

2011-06-16 4:24 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht
@ Mesteren: Ever thought about moving to the main land like Germany? Much better conditions for tri training.
2011-06-16 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

Hey Guys, I haven't posted in a while, I hope you don't mind if I hop back in????  I wanted to share my learning experience I received last Sunday at my HIM.  Kansas 70.3 was last Sunday and let me start by saying it is a really neat venue.  It is held at Clinton State Park in Lawrence, KS.  The bike route was very hilly but there was always a good downhill proceeding the long uphill to get you going.  Unfortunately I didn't make it that far.  Didn't make it past the swim.  The water was pretty rough Sunday morning and I just couldn't get it done.  So I DNF'd my first HIM in the one dicipline I was the most confident in.  Now for the learning part Wink......I knew I could do the 1.2 miles (in the pool all day long) however I did not do a single open water swim this year in preparation for this race, and the worst part is that I know better.  I've done OWS races in the past and I know how different it is than being in the pool.  Lesson learned!

On the bright side, I did get to watch the pros race.  It was pretty cool watching Chrissie Wellington and Leanda Cave battle it out on the run! 

2011-06-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3551741

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Niezels - 2011-06-16 9:07 AM

Besides being to busy at the moment doing fun stuff (ie. Went on a bike weekend last weekend, going to a festival tomorrow for 3 day) I bought myself a new bike yesterday. For the nerds the details.

• Brand: ROSE
  • Model: Carbon Pro-SL 3000 triple
  • Frame: 61 cm Full Carbon
  • Group: Shimano Ultegra
  • Crank: 53-39-30
  • Casette: 12-25
  • Extra's: Triathlon steer, bike computer (Sigma BC 2209 MHR)
  • Color: Black

I opted for a road bike with some alteration for tri racing (ie steer and close group 12-25) as I also want to use it to take to the mountains. I might even do the alpe d'Huzes next year. That is a charity race to collect money for research on cancer. Every entrant will collet 2500 euro minimum. In return they will close down te road to alpe d'Heuz so you can try and climb it 6 times. The "zes" in the title is dutch for 6.

To get an idea on the challange you can find the mountain profile here: http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Alpe-dHuez&MountainID=5

For reference. On of the "hills" I climbed this weekend was only this: http://www.climbbybike.com/profile.asp?Climbprofile=Cote-du-Rosier&MountainID=615

The last one was already a hard one for my brother in law. And he is the one I'm planning to do the Alpe d'Huzes with.....

Ow and in 9 days I will go for my second tri. And I lacked in training to much to my taste. Together with a technical bike course (19 corners ) I do not think I will get close to my PB.

NICE

I always wanted to bike Alpe d`Huze, I once went skiing there and that is one long climb.

61cm frame Just how tall are you ??
2011-06-16 5:58 PM

User image

Dayton OH

Hola everyone!

I can finally say that I have been able to return to my regular training after the ankle sprain. I am not returning with the fitness when I left, even though, that was only about 3 weeks ago. During recovery I did stay in the gym. I did upper-body strength training. I have been doing well the last few workouts but am concerned about being prepared for my first tri in a month. I certainly have not been able to do the training I hoped for.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. Hope everyone is doing well. I see there has been some racing going on.

@neizels

that sure does look like a nice bike (big too) maybe one day ill be sporting ultegra. This is not that day.

@menstren

How do you train in weather like that? i just can't get over it

2011-06-16 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3552143

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
HollyW - 2011-06-16 10:31 PM

Hey Guys, I haven't posted in a while, I hope you don't mind if I hop back in????  I wanted to share my learning experience I received last Sunday at my HIM.  Kansas 70.3 was last Sunday and let me start by saying it is a really neat venue.  It is held at Clinton State Park in Lawrence, KS.  The bike route was very hilly but there was always a good downhill proceeding the long uphill to get you going.  Unfortunately I didn't make it that far.  Didn't make it past the swim.  The water was pretty rough Sunday morning and I just couldn't get it done.  So I DNF'd my first HIM in the one dicipline I was the most confident in.  Now for the learning part Wink......I knew I could do the 1.2 miles (in the pool all day long) however I did not do a single open water swim this year in preparation for this race, and the worst part is that I know better.  I've done OWS races in the past and I know how different it is than being in the pool.  Lesson learned!

On the bright side, I did get to watch the pros race.  It was pretty cool watching Chrissie Wellington and Leanda Cave battle it out on the run! 

That sucks Holly, but cool on getting to watch the pros!

Did you really have to share your OWS 'fail' story 2 days before my first race, and my first OWS... It just hasn't been possible for me to get anywhere where I can practice an OWS.  I am hoping, that when I register on Saturday, I can jump in the river for a couple hundred meters... I might just walked up river and do it anyway.  I feel confident that I will be OK, but as you have just shown, confidence doesn't get the race done.

2011-06-16 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3553248

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Sounds like a cool ride Neizels, but seriously... 61 cm... wow

Good luck with the last couple weeks of training and your race Joel.  I'm sure you will do great!

2011-06-17 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Happy Independence day everybody

National holiday here, and the wife had weekend shift flying to germany and stying there for the 3 day weekend, so I went with her
It is nice to get away from the weather at home, which right now is actually pretty good.
While we are here we will do a swim & run competition. I will probably do the 2k swim and 14k run, it will be interesting to see how the running is after the swim.

Holly : sorry to hear that you DNF Take the time now to get better, there will always be other races to do

I think Duncan is the only one beside me to race this weekend, or am I forgetting someone?
First OWS and on the olympic distance !  If you get the chance to swim saturday take it ! Just so you know that it is not that scary

Else have a great weekend everybody

2011-06-19 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Hey everyone...

Well, no chance for a swim on Saturday (Family tourist obligations kept me busy until around 10pm) so my first OWS was during the race Sunday morning.  I will follow this with a full race report, but here is the long and short of it.

Swim - It was pretty awesome.  I got beat up a bit, but managed to be one of the first people in my wave ( I was gonna go to the back, but when the first few waves hit the water, and 75% were breast stroking, I decided to go out in front)  I passed lots of people from the waves in front and finished in around 37 minutes.

Bike - I rocked it... my fasted training ride over 40km was at about 29.5 km/h... now this is in traffic, with stop lights etc, so I wasn't sure what to expect in a race.  I finished the bike in about 1:05.... which blew my expectations outta the water...

Run - With transition times (and I forgot to start my start watch at the beginning of the swim, only remembered about 2 minutes in) I began running at 1:47.  I figured I would be A-OK for my 3 hour goal, which had me pretty excited.  My first 5km lap went well... 30 minutes, but then the heat got to me.  I walked about 3 km of the second lap, completely stopped at a couple rest stations / showers they had a course... I managed to run the last 1.5km and crossed the finish line running.

Stopped my watch about 1 minute later at 2:59:57... so it all depends on how slow I was to start timing... I may have just broken 3 hours, or I may be just over.  But either way, it was awesome.  I loved it, felt great to finish.

I am a triathlete!

P.S. Temperatures were around 35 degrees... with probably about 90% humidity.

2011-06-20 5:52 AM
in reply to: #3556987

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
DuncanQH - 2011-06-20 2:05 AM

Hey everyone...

Well, no chance for a swim on Saturday (Family tourist obligations kept me busy until around 10pm) so my first OWS was during the race Sunday morning.  I will follow this with a full race report, but here is the long and short of it.

Swim - It was pretty awesome.  I got beat up a bit, but managed to be one of the first people in my wave ( I was gonna go to the back, but when the first few waves hit the water, and 75% were breast stroking, I decided to go out in front)  I passed lots of people from the waves in front and finished in around 37 minutes.

Bike - I rocked it... my fasted training ride over 40km was at about 29.5 km/h... now this is in traffic, with stop lights etc, so I wasn't sure what to expect in a race.  I finished the bike in about 1:05.... which blew my expectations outta the water...

Run - With transition times (and I forgot to start my start watch at the beginning of the swim, only remembered about 2 minutes in) I began running at 1:47.  I figured I would be A-OK for my 3 hour goal, which had me pretty excited.  My first 5km lap went well... 30 minutes, but then the heat got to me.  I walked about 3 km of the second lap, completely stopped at a couple rest stations / showers they had a course... I managed to run the last 1.5km and crossed the finish line running.

Stopped my watch about 1 minute later at 2:59:57... so it all depends on how slow I was to start timing... I may have just broken 3 hours, or I may be just over.  But either way, it was awesome.  I loved it, felt great to finish.

I am a triathlete!

P.S. Temperatures were around 35 degrees... with probably about 90% humidity.

Congratulations
You are a monster on the bike

Beside from the run what a great race, cant wait to hear more about it.
And it such hard/warm conditions no wounder you had problems running. I hope you drank enough on the way.

You are now a TRIATHLETE
and a good one too

2011-06-20 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
I had a pretty good weekend in my swim and run competition.

I chose to do the 2k/14k distance, as a preparations for my HIM next month.
The swim took place on a rowing stadium, with the lanes in place, so sighting was hardly necessary, as you could just follow the cables running about 1,5m below the surface. And it was in fresh water witch is always nice as you dont get all that salt water in your mouth.

There probably was about 100 people at the start, I started a lane further out then the "shortest possible swim" as there was a huge group gather there and I did not want to get court in the middle of it. I choice very good as the 5 People I started with ended up being the 5 fastest swimmers.
I drafted the whole way and did never over cook it, but I dont think I could have gone any faster had I been on myself so I was very happy just hanging on to the feet in front of me.
In the end I was 5th out the water but 3 of those where relays  Which I did not know at that point.

T1 did not go very well as I could not get out of the wet suit, and when I finally got it off, I had to sit down to put on my shoes and socks as I was a bit dizzy. This was my first ever run after a swim and I found the transition very hard. The run was 2 laps around the lake, mostly on hard gravel paths gravel in a very nice park environment.
I knew it was a long run (14k) so I forced myself to control it over the first 3-4km and get into a relax breathing rhythm. Then I started pushing just a little more and had found a good hard running rhythm when the later winner of the race pasted me, I tried to whole on to him for maybe 10s before giving up, there was still 10k to go so it would be very stupid to run myself to the ground already. As I went out on the second lap I was tolled I was in second place so I picked up the pace and ran hard until 12k where I ran out of steam. Form there it was just about bringing it home, which I did
I ended up in 3rd place and I won my age group Very happy with that result and very happy with my run where i did a negative split. Last lap was 40s faster then the first I think that is just about my first negative split ever

I have been very happy with my running lately, now I just need to bring my swimming up a bit, as I have not really been able to push it with out going totally cold lately.........There is always something to work on in this sport

I hope you all had a great weekend.

2011-06-20 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3557750

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
That sounds like quite the interesting race Mesteren, and congrats on the AG win!  And a negative split on the run... good work!
2011-06-20 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Results posted, so I finished up my race report.

I finished 150th outta 280 in my age group.  Not too shabby.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=257496

2011-06-21 7:28 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Holy: Nice to see your back. Sorry to hear you weren't able to do the whole race. You do make me jealous though on naming those pro's.
Joel: Good to hear you made it thtough the injury. Not jumping into the gym with that ankle sounds like a good plan.
Duncan: Sounds like the Holly horror story on the swim did not affect you too much. What a great result on your first race. And with that heat I already have respect for you of getting all the way to the halfwaypoint of the 3rd discipline before getting over heated. And that bike time sounds superb!!
And nice race report you wrote.
Mesteren: It is inspiring to read your race reports. Good to now that there will always remain parts to work on .

And yes I got a big frame. I'm 187cm. After taking my measurements at the bike shop my optimal frame size was calculated to be 60cm. As they only have 59 and 61 as frame sizes we chose the 61cm frame.

This weekend I will do my second race. The fact I really slacked training and the bike course being non optimal with 19 sharp corners I don't expect to get even close to my PB. Main focus will be to enjoy the race and use it as a point to bounce back into a nice training rythm.

2011-06-21 6:34 PM

User image

Dayton OH

so, I went into this local place called 'endurance sports.' I thought I would see what was in there. It was just a small store selling running shoes, performance apparel and gu. I did find a pair of tri shorts that I did purchase (hopefully they work well).

Anyways, here is my question; the attendant that helped spoke of the venue in which my first triathlon will be held. He said that I should be careful and taste the water they are serving before I begin. He said that the water often has a high sulfur content and it upset his stomach. Can I strap on a camelbak for the bike and/or the run of a triathlon? does anyone else? if so, is it a bad idea?

thanks in advance

Joel

2011-06-22 2:44 AM
in reply to: #3561018

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Hey Joel,  far from experienced here, but I did notice one guy with a camelback on Sunday, so you wouldn't be the first.

Well, I decided to defeat the heat, and run at noon today (another 35 degree Sunny day, just like race day) and again, the heat won!  I planned 30 minutes, and called it after 28:20... I was starting to stagger.  A quick shower after revived me, but man, that heat and humidity really saps me.

Good news, I've got time off from 7/1 ~ 7/10.  I met a guy, who I've been facebook friends with for 6 months now, on Sunday, and he invited me to join him for a ride.  It's about a 90 drive to get to him, but I'll have the time.  Also, gonna bike out to my buddies place.  Been meaning to do it, and I think I'll find the time then.  40km each way.

2011-06-22 7:02 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Joel: As far as I know there are no restrictions of taking a camel back with you. On my first race I had two bottles on my bike plus a bottle stand by in T2 in case I wanted to take it with me on the run. I'm fortunate that we have very good water quality in the Netherlands so I do not have to worry about that.

I'm not sure if I would want to take a camelback though as it takes time to put on/ can shake a bit during the run and is less aerodynamic on the bike. So maybe you could try the bottles. And you can also check if you are affected by the water yourself. Maybe you have a good stomach and do not need to worry about it.

Duncan: Those are cool plans. And if you want to bike even more we can become facebook friends too. It with will surely take you a week to get here by bike ;o).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14