Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-01-08 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL

Can someone please explain (and feel free to dumb in down as much as possible) how to do a flip turn? 

2009-01-08 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1894557

User image

Master
Houston

I'm with you, I never thought I'd run 13.1mi much less after biking 56mi.  Even a year into starting triathlons a 20mi ride killed me but when you catch the triathlon bug mileage goes up

I had a friend once say... Crazy is how the ordinary explain the extrodinary when they don't understand them.

KelliD - 2009-01-08 9:14 AM

Don't get me wrong, my friends and especially my family have been beyond supportive!  But I definitely see how people who aren't active or involved in tri's in any way would think this is crazy. Thinking about it, if a couple years ago someone told me that I'd ever even consider doing a HIM I probably would have laughed at them.

2009-01-08 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1894562

User image

Master
Houston

Many triathletes will tell ya you don't need to learn these but I disagree, they'll increase your lung capacity, reduce your rest during a set and you'll be a better swimmer. Here's my best description...

Take your last pull near the wall, you want to be fairly close to the wall.
Tuck your chin into your chest so you roll into a ball (think half somersault), heels to your butt.
Open your body when you're on your back, extend your legs to push off on your back, arms above head, hands/elbows locked
After you push off the wall rotate your body back onto your stomach, kick
Start swimming when your body breaks the water surface

Almost forgot the most important part... blow bubbles out of your nose as your flipping or you'll be in for a treat! 

Most people's biggest fear is hitting the wall so they'll flip to early and miss the wall. If you tuck into a tight ball you could even touch the wall with an extended arm, flip and still not hit the wall... I dont recommend trying this now just saying to give you an idea on how close you can get... will just take some practice

Clear as mud?

KelliD - 2009-01-08 9:16 AM

Can someone please explain (and feel free to dumb in down as much as possible) how to do a flip turn? 

Edited by evondo 2009-01-08 9:46 AM
2009-01-08 9:44 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

My parents aren't even close to understanding what I do on race days.  Oh yeah he's running some race or he's doing some swim, bike, run thing...  They support me (in that) they don't judge or criticize my desire to do such things.  My wife supports me (except the spending money part), she has come out to the races and she doesn't question/criticize my training schedule [usually].  She has the desire to run, and has mentioned the idea of wanting to try a tri... but, she struggles terribly with running and is only a basic swimmer - deathly afraid of the race swim scenario.  I have encouraged her, tried to work with her, etc.  But she is not ready (mentally) to take on the challenge.  If/When she is ready I will be there 110% for her.

Non-running / non-triathlete minded friends... "I don't drive 26 miles in my car" or "Why would you want to spend 12 hrs swimming, bikib and running!"  You're nuts, crazy, or even retarded!  It is very hard to convince them that it is about personal challenges, desires, goals, and other inner-workings that drive us to go out and do these things.  We are not trying to show-off or prove or worth to the world by exerting ourselves this way.

As I step off of my soap box...  

2009-01-08 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1894562

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
KelliD - 2009-01-08 10:16 AM

Haha, carefully so as to avoid hitting your head or missing the wall entirely and be left treading water in the pool and looking silly.

Obviously, I'm not the best person to answer that.  But don't feel silly.  I am the worst flippy turner on the planet and only learned how to do it recently.

2009-01-08 9:55 AM

User image

Lighter note...

Go Gators!  down with the Oklahoma Yankees to our north! ha!  I got my BS from a small school in Witchita Falls, TX (Midwestern State)...changed their mascot from the Indians to the Mustangs...so not to offend.  I got my MA from U of H Clear Lake, and although they are part of the Univ. of Houston (system)... they are not the Coogs.  And honestly, I don't even think they have a mascot...  Go "mascot-less" school with no real teams to root for.  Therefore, I will choose to have a beer or two this evening, and cheer on the GATORS!

HR & genetics... absolutely!  My wife's resting HR is mid 50's, and although she is pretty healthy, a regular at the gym and a "step-class aholic"... She ain't no Lance either.  It's amazing that she can do the step classes at full speed for an hour (witch I struggle with - not coordinated enough for) yet she STRUGGLES to run 1.5 miles. 

2009-01-08 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1894687

User image

Nicole83 - 2009-01-08 9:51 AM
KelliD - 2009-01-08 10:16 AM

Obviously, I'm not the best person to answer that.  But don't feel silly.  I am the worst flippy turner on the planet and only learned how to do it recently.

Me neither - I don't do the FLIP, I do the side turn thing! 

2009-01-08 9:58 AM

User image

BTW - Kelli & Nicole... yep, through computer osmosis or something... I got it!  The ol' congested, "hock-a-loogey", head ache thing working - late yesterday and this morning.  Come on Day-quil Sinus!
2009-01-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1894712

User image

Master
Houston

You guys need to stop passing that crap around! I'm calling "not it" right now Hope ya feel better, especially before our Tuesday run!

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-08 9:58 AM BTW - Kelli & Nicole... yep, through computer osmosis or something... I got it!  The ol' congested, "hock-a-loogey", head ache thing working - late yesterday and this morning.  Come on Day-quil Sinus!

2009-01-08 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1894727

User image

evondo - 2009-01-08 10:01 AM

You guys need to stop passing that crap around! I'm calling "not it" right now Hope ya feel better, especially before our Tuesday run!

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-08 9:58 AM BTW - Kelli & Nicole... yep, through computer osmosis or something... I got it!  The ol' congested, "hock-a-loogey", head ache thing working - late yesterday and this morning.  Come on Day-quil Sinus!

In the military, sing-song, while you run thang!  "medi, medi, gotta-lotta medication".  Thanks - I hope to be good-to-go.  That'll be my last effort run before the 18th.  An easy bike, an extra easy 4 miler that Thursday before, and some walks in between... and I will be officially tapered fot the 18th.

2009-01-08 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1894727

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2009-01-08 11:01 AM

Well, if it's the same thing we had (or at least what I had) it should be gone in just a few days!

If our germs are getting spread through the group, my suggestion to all non-infected people....start taking Zicam now as a preventative measure.  I swear by this stuff!!!

2009-01-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1894699

User image

Master
New York, NY
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-08 10:55 AM

Lighter note...

Go Gators!  down with the Oklahoma Yankees to our north! ha!  I got my BS from a small school in Witchita Falls, TX (Midwestern State)...changed their mascot from the Indians to the Mustangs...so not to offend.  I got my MA from U of H Clear Lake, and although they are part of the Univ. of Houston (system)... they are not the Coogs.  And honestly, I don't even think they have a mascot...  Go "mascot-less" school with no real teams to root for.  Therefore, I will choose to have a beer or two this evening, and cheer on the GATORS!

The mascot situation at my school (University of Scranton) was so strange!!  We were the Royals.  What the heck is a Royal....how on earth do you make a mascot out of that??!?!?!  I think it was my spohmore or junior year, they sort of half-introducted the Wolverine.  It was a mascot at games, and for a for a while they contemplated changing our school colors and calling us the Scranton Wolves/Wolverines, but it never came to fruition.  So we were called the Scranton Royals and had a wolverine mascot.....go figure how that works.  Oh yea, and we didn't even have a football team!

2009-01-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1894654

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

As just an extra tip- when I was first learning how to do flip turns my coach had me do the following:

Stand in the shallow end with arms outstretched
Move twords the wall until your finger tips touch
Do a somersault blowing out of your nose the whole time
When upside down in the water, make contact with the wall with your feet and push off

I was always flipping too early, so that's how I got the feel for how close I actually needed to be to the wall for it to work.

evondo - 2009-01-08 10:43 AM

Many triathletes will tell ya you don't need to learn these but I disagree, they'll increase your lung capacity, reduce your rest during a set and you'll be a better swimmer. Here's my best description...

Take your last pull near the wall, you want to be fairly close to the wall.
Tuck your chin into your chest so you roll into a ball (think half somersault), heels to your butt.
Open your body when you're on your back, extend your legs to push off on your back, arms above head, hands/elbows locked
After you push off the wall rotate your body back onto your stomach, kick
Start swimming when your body breaks the water surface

Almost forgot the most important part... blow bubbles out of your nose as your flipping or you'll be in for a treat! 

Most people's biggest fear is hitting the wall so they'll flip to early and miss the wall. If you tuck into a tight ball you could even touch the wall with an extended arm, flip and still not hit the wall... I dont recommend trying this now just saying to give you an idea on how close you can get... will just take some practice

Clear as mud?

KelliD - 2009-01-08 9:16 AM

2009-01-08 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1894787

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
KelliD - 2009-01-08 11:20 AM
evondo - 2009-01-08 11:01 AM

Well, if it's the same thing we had (or at least what I had) it should be gone in just a few days!

If our germs are getting spread through the group, my suggestion to all non-infected people....start taking Zicam now as a preventative measure.  I swear by this stuff!!!

Yep, the phlegm subsides after 2-3 days.

2009-01-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1894806

User image

Nicole83 - 2009-01-08 10:26 AM

As just an extra tip- when I was first learning how to do flip turns my coach had me do the following:

When upside down in the water, make contact with the wall with your feet and push off

I may start with this and move into Eric's in motion version.  I did a sprint with a pool swim last July, and this was my nemisis.  I lost too much time not being able to properly exucute this manuever.  My new mantra for swimming...proper practice prevents poor perfromance!  I would always swim, but I never really practiced or tried to perfect the skillls necessary to succeed in the water!

2009-01-08 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1894879

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-08 11:43 AM

I may start with this and move into Eric's in motion version.  I did a sprint with a pool swim last July, and this was my nemisis.  I lost too much time not being able to properly exucute this manuever.  My new mantra for swimming...proper practice prevents poor perfromance!  I would always swim, but I never really practiced or tried to perfect the skillls necessary to succeed in the water!

I agree with Eric in that it is important to learn flip turns.  Espeically if you're doing any races with a pool swim, they save so much time!

Honestly, if it wasn't for this drill I would never do flip turns.  Every single time I would either hit my head or miss the wall.  This was super helpful.  I hope it works for ya.

2009-01-08 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1894887

User image

Master
Houston

I really like the drill and will probably steal it for future friends that need to learn a flip turn

Nicole83 - 2009-01-08 10:48 AM

I agree with Eric in that it is important to learn flip turns.  Espeically if you're doing any races with a pool swim, they save so much time!

Honestly, if it wasn't for this drill I would never do flip turns.  Every single time I would either hit my head or miss the wall.  This was super helpful.  I hope it works for ya.

2009-01-08 11:35 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

Gee now I don't feel so quilty not being very active on the thread.  you guys are passing this sick thing around via the computer now.  Get the hell away from me!!!

HEH, I hope everyone gets better quick, and again get the hell away from me.   I essentially work in a concret box with 8 other people one gets sick, we all go down.

2009-01-08 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1894879

User image

Master
New York, NY

I think I'm gonna try this first as well.  Sadly, the hardest part for me is going to be blowing out my nose.  Growing up I was that kid that held her nose til she was about 13!  It took me months to be able to do this when I was teching myself to swim.  No problem now though.  However, flipping AND blowing out my nose is another story.

2009-01-08 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1894712

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

I guess for now on I will have to wear a mask and glove to view this thread...

2009-01-08 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1895154

User image

Growing up I was that kid that held her nose til she was about 13! 

That's funny... I can so picture that!

Good luck with the flip practice!

2009-01-08 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1895596

Ok, I am going to try to learn it again. I have never had much luck with flip turns but will try these drills on my next swim. The worst part has been the humiliation of practicing them as other swimmers watched me flop all over the place!
2009-01-09 7:49 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

It's Frrriiiidddayyyyyyy!  *happy dance*  Anybody besides me desperately ready for this work week to be over?

sjf- when I first started swimming I had a lifeguard tell me "I've never seen anyone look so much like they're drowning and still manage to swim pretty well."  Yah... definately caused me to get a swim coach.

2009-01-09 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1896985

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN
Nicole83 - 2009-01-09 7:49 AM

It's Frrriiiidddayyyyyyy!  *happy dance*  Anybody besides me desperately ready for this work week to be over?

YES, o man the last 2-3 hours of each day have dragged on and on and on this week.

2 days till me swim class.  I hope that I have enough of a swimming basis for them to let me in......

2009-01-09 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1896985

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-01-09 8:49 AM

YES!!!  And the sooner, the better!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137