BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-03-04 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1985076

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL
eurydice79 - 2009-02-27 4:25 AM

I do triathlons because I need something to aim for if I am to keep exercising regularly and keeping fit & healthy. Going to the gym is just sooo boring, but what I do doesn't feel like forced exercise.

That's just it! I was interested in being very fit a couple years ago, but I thought the only opportunity available to me was going to the gym. Thankfully, I discovered triathlons! :D

2009-03-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1993539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

juniperjen - 2009-03-03 9:03 AM I have a discussion point for the group:  Soon my main goal running race will be done.  And then I have to switch up my training. For me, it will be a big change from high volume running to more balanced tri training.  Mentally, I think it's going to be an adjustment - have any of you significantly changed your training style? How did you do it? I know i am going to miss the long runs but it is exciting to venture to the tri side ... any coping tips?

When the winter months hit, I really focused on swimming. Now I'm slowly easing into a more a balanced workout (although swimming still predominates as I can't take my bike outdoors yet). The key is to slowly increase your swimming and biking - don't expect to be able to swim 3-4 times a week all at once! All 3 sports - running, swimming, biking - act very differently on your body. Got to give it time to adjust!

Personally, I'm beginning to feel incredibly INCREDIBLY antsy as the winter weather shows no sign of letting up. I've signed up for a couple triathlons in May-June, but I want more than the month of April for proper outdoor biking.

I hate Canadian winters. 

2009-03-04 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1993816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

shinsplint - 2009-03-03 10:42 AM This was fun. I was was 2nd overall novice female. All you had to do was spin as fast as you could for 30 min. Was a good workout. Been sore for days. Better now though. I hope I am done with the colds for now. The weather is improving. The plantar fasciitis is slowly improving. What I will do is essentially start over with some base building. I'll keep distance short and appropriate for the race distances I will target. I hope to prevent worse injury. Cutting back has been awful but necessary. Sad how quickly the weight tacks on. I feel like a big (out of shape) slug. Although I am on call this weekend, I will still try to do our local indoor tri. (I will have to have my husband hold my pager for the short swim). After that, I hope to find a good 8-week plan to follow for late summer early fall sprint tri's.

What kind of a racing atmosphere was the "Run to Nowhere"? How many spinning bikes were set up? Glad you did well!!! 

Indoor tris? Hmm, I think I shall have to find out about those in my area!

2009-03-04 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1858074

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Good Morning from Daegu Korea
Sorry I have not been able to train or even have time to get on the net. I am going to be here in Korea until the 22nd so I am back to my normal daily routine. Just finished my morning workout and must get ready for work. I will catch up on the last week's worth of post when I get back to my room this evening.
2009-03-05 1:26 AM
in reply to: #1993539

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

juniperjen - 2009-03-03 11:03 PM I have a discussion point for the group:  Soon my main goal running race will be done.  And then I have to switch up my training. For me, it will be a big change from high volume running to more balanced tri training.  Mentally, I think it's going to be an adjustment - have any of you significantly changed your training style? How did you do it? I know i am going to miss the long runs but it is exciting to venture to the tri side ... any coping tips?

Just do it!!! LOL

Maybe create a training schedule where you do the same thing one the same day each week, and stick to it? Like 2 X swim, 2 X run, 2 X cycle. If you work a normal Mon-Fri week, maybe keep the swimming and shorter bike/runs (ie intervals and hill work) for weekdays, and then do your long ride/run/bricks etc on the weekends. That way you can still do your long Sunday run

2009-03-05 1:58 AM
in reply to: #1993816

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

shinsplint - 2009-03-04 12:42 AM This was fun. I was was 2nd overall novice female. All you had to do was spin as fast as you could for 30 min. Was a good workout. Been sore for days. Better now though. I hope I am done with the colds for now. The weather is improving. The plantar fasciitis is slowly improving. What I will do is essentially start over with some base building. I'll keep distance short and appropriate for the race distances I will target. I hope to prevent worse injury. Cutting back has been awful but necessary. Sad how quickly the weight tacks on. I feel like a big (out of shape) slug. Although I am on call this weekend, I will still try to do our local indoor tri. (I will have to have my husband hold my pager for the short swim). After that, I hope to find a good 8-week plan to follow for late summer early fall sprint tri's.

Wow Val! I just worked out your speed for your indoor cycle race, you were going 56 kmhr / 35 mph! Thats amazing! You really must have been giving it all you had

I am glad the PF is getting better. The fitness will come back and the weight will come off

Good luck with your indoor tri! Good on your husband for holding the pager! My hubby is too scared to answer my cell phone when I am on call

2009-03-05 1:58 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Welcome to page 16!

2009-03-05 1:59 AM
in reply to: #1997303

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

jrcody - 2009-03-05 5:38 AM Good Morning from Daegu Korea Sorry I have not been able to train or even have time to get on the net. I am going to be here in Korea until the 22nd so I am back to my normal daily routine. Just finished my morning workout and must get ready for work. I will catch up on the last week's worth of post when I get back to my room this evening.

Wow! Korea! Thats amazing Post us some photos of what the place looks like! Is it very humid?

2009-03-05 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1996438

There were 20 or so bikes set up for us. There were team and individual events. The event went on all morming. We had appointment times when it was our turn to ride. So I rode early. I knew what I had to do to beat those that went ahead of me but of couse those that went later could catch me. Although it was a pretend situation I really wanted to tear into it.

The best part was that there were several multiple sclerosis patients there watching. I was very motivated by that. I wish that instead of a race among participants we could have had our miles matched by money from a sponsor. Of course, one could ask for donations from friends and family. I do alot of chaity events so my folks are a little tapped out.
2009-03-05 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2000656

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

shinsplint - 2009-03-05 8:28 PM

I wish that instead of a race among participants we could have had our miles matched by money from a sponsor.

That is a REALLY good idea. Imagine a triathlon type event with no distances, but given times for the 3 sports, and the athletes have to go as far as possible in those times? The farther you go, the more money is collected from sponsors. It would motivate the athlete, the cause, and the sponsors too because they'd attract a lot of elite athletes, I imagine!

2009-03-07 12:40 AM
in reply to: #2000902

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-03-06 12:13 PM

shinsplint - 2009-03-05 8:28 PM

I wish that instead of a race among participants we could have had our miles matched by money from a sponsor.

That is a REALLY good idea. Imagine a triathlon type event with no distances, but given times for the 3 sports, and the athletes have to go as far as possible in those times? The farther you go, the more money is collected from sponsors. It would motivate the athlete, the cause, and the sponsors too because they'd attract a lot of elite athletes, I imagine!

X 2 on the great idea. I know what you mean Val though by friends and relatives being tapped out - I don't like to ask for money too often either. I did it last year for a bike ride and raised almost $400 but I haven't been game enough to ask again!

2009-03-07 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

Now here's a silly question.

I'm investing in a long-sleeved wetsuit and am wondering what is worn underneath it? A bathing suit? What I will wear for the bike portion of the race? Is nothing worn underneath?

2009-03-07 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

This summer, right in the middle of the triathlon season, I am leaving for 5 weeks to the Peruvian Amazon to be a volunteer researcher (mammals). It will be a wonderful experience, but it also has drastically shortened my training season.

Today, I was lucky enough to find a Half-Ironman 2 days before I leave (the HIM is July 4th)! So, that's my key race. I wonder if I'll become HIM ready by then! How do you "know" if you're ready for a race!?

2009-03-07 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2003787

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-03-08 4:53 AM

Now here's a silly question.

I'm investing in a long-sleeved wetsuit and am wondering what is worn underneath it? A bathing suit? What I will wear for the bike portion of the race? Is nothing worn underneath?

LOL you wear a tri suit, or a seperate tri top and tri pants. You can wear your bathers if you like, but then you'll need to do the cycle & run in your bathers. The tri suit or pants have a quick drying chamois in them which is thinner than the usual bike pant chamois, but it means you can wear the same outfit for the swim, bike & run without changing. There are usually no changing facilities in transition. I also usually wear a sports bra 'cos I need that for the run

2009-03-07 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2003951

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-03-08 7:54 AM

This summer, right in the middle of the triathlon season, I am leaving for 5 weeks to the Peruvian Amazon to be a volunteer researcher (mammals). It will be a wonderful experience, but it also has drastically shortened my training season.

Today, I was lucky enough to find a Half-Ironman 2 days before I leave (the HIM is July 4th)! So, that's my key race. I wonder if I'll become HIM ready by then! How do you "know" if you're ready for a race!?

Take it slow!!! You're already pretty fit but long distance racing is another kettle of fish! Most coaches wouldn't recommend jumping to such long distances in your first season. You'll be surprised how hard even a sprint distance race is. If you go too hard too fast, you run the risk of injury or burnout. If you're going to tackle a HIM or IM distance, I'd recommend getting a coach to guide you through the process. Are there any tri clubs in your area?

PS - sounds like a GREAT volounteer trip!!!

Edited by eurydice79 2009-03-07 8:20 PM
2009-03-07 8:19 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good afternoon team!

How is everyone going? I did a gruelling 60k/ 38 mile ride through the hills yesterday and I am still aching from it! I was due to do my long run today of 1 hr 30 mins but I'm not up for it after yesterday's ride! Plus I also went out last night and wore my stiletto heels and not I have a blister on my big toe ... silly Magda

The plan is to take a rest day today and to do my long run & a swim tomorrow

I am going to a music festival this afternoon, the headline act is Kings of Leon. I feel like such a teenager, I haven't been to a music festival for years!!!

I hope everyone else is having a good weekend

2009-03-08 12:48 PM

Sounds like you had a great ride and a night full of fun. I agree with taking a rest. I find that a long bike back to back with a long run is hard. If I switch my rest day and run day I find I have a nice run afterwards.

I did manage to get through the indoor tri but right after crossing the finish.. I was paged. How weird was that? It was not an emregency so I got a change to shower an eat. Must have been in the cards for me to race that day. (Thankfully I think the patient will be ok too.)

It was a nice race. We were seeded every 2 min- imagine that! Most of us were well spaced. The guy behind me was a rocket and almost need to pass me (he was swimming twice as fast as I was). My swim coach was there cheering- it was great. I had awfult turns but not sure it mattered. I was putting out my typical level of effort and I thought having a few extra seconds to get under the rope helped me hang on. The spin bikes were at a light to moderate tesion, just slightly harder than a flat ride. My cadence was about 105-109. I did not feel in my groove going much faster then that. I race a bit faster on the rode but of course we go up and down hills, coast, and sometimes have a tail wind- so its different. Riding flat would seem easy but taxes the aeorbic system much more than the muscular system. My run was fairly typical although not my best. I am not as well conditioned as last year. Overall, I met my goal, stuck with my plan and had fun. I felt I worked hard. It was a very relaxing and nurturing race. There were a large number of racers in my 40-50y age group. This suggested to me that us mid-agers are trying to stay fit and are seeking new challenges. This was the perfect race to start with.
2009-03-08 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2003951

I have to admit I was worried about how a wetsuit with a trisuit underneath would look. I'm no beanpole so I was really freaked. I was surprised that everything fit ok and I did not look as bad as I thought. My arms did not feel restricted as I expected with a lot of tight clothing. Moreover, the wetsuit came off easier than what I expected. I liked the fact that my clothes were damp going into the bike and run, it keeps me cool. I wear a 2 piece trisuit underneath. However, if I had to put on other clothing wet- that would really be something to laugh at. I can see myself writhing on the ground all caught up in a spandex monster.

Going to Peru sounds so wonderful. What type of research will you be doing?? You will remember this for a lifetime. Val
2009-03-08 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2004185

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
eurydice79 - 2009-03-07 9:15 PM

Take it slow!!! You're already pretty fit but long distance racing is another kettle of fish! Most coaches wouldn't recommend jumping to such long distances in your first season. You'll be surprised how hard even a sprint distance race is. If you go too hard too fast, you run the risk of injury or burnout. If you're going to tackle a HIM or IM distance, I'd recommend getting a coach to guide you through the process. Are there any tri clubs in your area?

PS - sounds like a GREAT volounteer trip!!!

It will be challenging, but I think I will be up for a HIM by July 4th. Last training season, I focused on the Olympic distance. I am quite comfortable with that distance, and I will be doing probably 2 of that distance this season. I've got an "intermediate" one in Muskoka transitioning me into HIM distance (~1.8km swim, 55km bike, 15km run), and then my last one would be the HIM. I've got swimming, running coaches and, in a few weeks, beginning my biking group with a coach.

Magda, I am taking your advice. In 2 weeks time, I have the opportunity of meeting with a professional triathlete and triathlon coach in my area. What kind of coaching do you have? Face to face? Phone? Online? What do you like and dislike about it? What are things you would like to see from a triathlon coach (or already do see)?

2009-03-12 11:24 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Hi team!

I am so sorry I have been AWOL this week, work has been soooo busy, I haven't had the time to go through your blogs! Thankfully today is much quieter so I've got some catching up to do.

How are you all going?

2009-03-12 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2004810

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

shinsplint - 2009-03-09 3:48 AM Sounds like you had a great ride and a night full of fun. I agree with taking a rest. I find that a long bike back to back with a long run is hard. If I switch my rest day and run day I find I have a nice run afterwards.

Yes ideally I would have a rest day in between my long ride and long run. I usually have a long ride on Sat morning, so ideally I would do my long run on Monday morning but thats when I have swimming! And in the evenings its usually hot and windy ... just an excuse, but I really prefer to run first thing in the morning just as the sun is rising!

I did manage to get through the indoor tri but right after crossing the finish.. I was paged. How weird was that? It was not an emregency so I got a change to shower an eat. Must have been in the cards for me to race that day. (Thankfully I think the patient will be ok too.)

Lucky you! Its great how that worked out!

It looks like you had a fantastic race, congratulations!  

2009-03-12 11:36 PM
in reply to: #2004824

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

shinsplint - 2009-03-09 3:59 AM I have to admit I was worried about how a wetsuit with a trisuit underneath would look. I'm no beanpole so I was really freaked. I was surprised that everything fit ok and I did not look as bad as I thought. My arms did not feel restricted as I expected with a lot of tight clothing. Moreover, the wetsuit came off easier than what I expected. I liked the fact that my clothes were damp going into the bike and run, it keeps me cool. I wear a 2 piece trisuit underneath. However, if I had to put on other clothing wet- that would really be something to laugh at. I can see myself writhing on the ground all caught up in a spandex monster.

LOL I was worried too, I find wetsuits and tri suits really hard to put on because they're so tight, in the "real" world that usually means that you need to try on a bigger size of clothing, but in the triathlon world everything is meant to be tight!!! Luckily it all comes off a lot quicker & easier than it is to put it on

2009-03-12 11:50 PM
in reply to: #2004876

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2009-03-09 5:06 AM

It will be challenging, but I think I will be up for a HIM by July 4th. Last training season, I focused on the Olympic distance. I am quite comfortable with that distance, and I will be doing probably 2 of that distance this season. I've got an "intermediate" one in Muskoka transitioning me into HIM distance (~1.8km swim, 55km bike, 15km run), and then my last one would be the HIM. I've got swimming, running coaches and, in a few weeks, beginning my biking group with a coach.

Sounds like you're perfectly set up! I am looking fwd to watching your progress

Magda, I am taking your advice. In 2 weeks time, I have the opportunity of meeting with a professional triathlete and triathlon coach in my area. What kind of coaching do you have? Face to face? Phone? Online? What do you like and dislike about it? What are things you would like to see from a triathlon coach (or already do see)?

I belong to a triclub which runs swimming & running coached classes, plus an informal non-coached group cycle on the weekends. Its run by a lady called Carol who is an ex-professional triathlete and a level 2 coach. So my coaching is face to face, but I can also get email support during the week. The things I like about it are the fact that I always have support there and someone looking out for me. The things that I don't like is that my coach is a real task-master and I can't keep up with her full HIM program, I am only doing about 2/3 - 3/4 of what I'm meant to be doing. If I do anymore I get burnt out. I have also downloaded a HIM training program off BT and whilst I am following by coach's program instead, even if I only complete 2/3 - 3/4 of the set training sessions I am still doing more time/distance wise than what the BT program recommends! This makes me feel a bit better   The club has a lot of members of very different abilities and I think if I stick to it, my fitness will improve to the level that I can keep up with everyone

Heres our website: www.wellbeings.com.au

2009-03-14 12:31 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good morning team! Happy Saturday! I love weekends it means I can get in lots of good training sessions!!!

This morning I cycled 90k/56mi which I was really pleased with, I've never ridden this far before and its really boosted my confidence because I still have 7 weeks to go before my HIM. This weekend I'd also like to get in a 1:45:00 run and an OWS, we'll see how tired I am tomorrow, plus I'm on call which never helps!

I also went to our local triathlon store and bought a trisuit, a bento box and a fuel belt! Sef (my hubby) got some aerobars. I think we're all set up for the race now!

What does everyone else have planned for the weekend?

On the social front I'm going out to dinner tonight to help celebrate my MIL's birthday

2009-03-15 7:55 AM

Congrats on your run. Also, its really fun gathering your supplies for the race. Planning is a big part of why I like this hobby.

I entered my dog for the 1st time in agility. We had some successes! I guess I could say I got some sprints in trying to keep up with my litle dog. Yes he is little and I was out of breath at the end of the course. How pathetic is that?

Later, the day was so nice I went for a easy 30 mi ride. This was the first time I Have been outside to ride in several weeks. I had a new saddle on my bike. The one that came with my bike was one that people seem to like but I hated it. So uncomportable. I bought a Terry brand- don't recall the model. The seat pops me up a bit higher than the last saddle. I did not get refit to the bike. Instead, I noted my knees seemed to be happy with the increased height so I may just wait awhile before I consider having the shop make adjustments. The carbon fram bike is so nice. It is very responsive. You can feel when your stroke is uneven-thus correct yourself before wasting too much energy. Climing is easier too. This is a bike I look forward to riding.

I agree with you Magda in that traing can be such a pleasure compared to racing. I workout with groups when I can. I am enjoying exercise much more. Overall, I may noy compete much this year. I like not having as much pressure.

I'm so glad Spring is around the corner.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15