Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-04-01 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED
Matt- what a great March! Enjoy your rest days.

Jo- big congrats on the swim PR. GREAT JOB!

And Ginny, I commented on your race pace....GREAT WORK!!!!

Proud of all of you. Keep up the good work. Our first ultrasound is next Thursday, and if we see a heartbeat, then all my medicine, shots, and hard work will be for good. If not, well, then I get to race this season on my new bike.

HEY- Jo, I'm tossing this out there- guys Jo is falling off her trainer when she rides her bike. I took a look at mine- Jo, you have a tri-bike, right? My road bike fits our trainer better, something to do with the rear wheal and how the trainer locks around it. I don't get a good fit on my tri bike so it leans a bit. But not enough to fall over! Jeff, when you check back in, let us know if you have any insight, please. Yes, the weather is breaking, but Jo, you are still in Michigan and it can snow in May, right? You don't want to ride in THAT.

2009-04-01 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
My fingers and toes are crossed for you Anne...hope the US goes well...
2009-04-01 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Thoughts and prayers are with you Anne.

Good job on the miles Matt.

No idea on the trainer, I don't even know what a trainer looks like (Well except maybe the cute personal trainer at the gym   )  I am definitely not a bike person.    I actually have been wondering if there are any tri's out there that are only swim run swim.  or run swim run.  The whole idea of having to deal with equipment is freaking me out!

2009-04-01 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Don't sweat the bike!  Just think back to when you were little, and your bike let you go anywhere you want!  Here's a link to what a trainer is.  I love mine!  Keeps me going all winter long!

http://search.performancebike.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=trainer

2009-04-02 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

So instead of going to the gym and riding on their stationary or spinning bikes you can just use the bike you ride on outside?  Wow that looks great

I'm not so much afraid of the bike itself.  I love to go out on the bike paths with my mountain bike and my "big butt seat" and relax and just take all day riding from one town to another etc.  It's the whole idea that during a race I could have to deal with a chain coming off or a tire blowing etc.  Changing a tire would take so long that in a short sprint you might as well forget about the rest of the race, by the time I got it changed it would be over.  And then there's those skinny seats!  Ugh, that old ten speed of mine hasn't been ridden in years for a reason, it's not comfortable.  I guess it's just the fact that I am relying on something other than just my body to do a race.   Something mechanical that I can't necessarily predict if something will break on it or go wrong.   (Does that make sense?)

But I do need to dig out that bike and get it cleaned up and fixed up.  Maybe once I try racing on a bike it won't be as scarey

2009-04-02 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

You're exactly right about the trainer.  My bike has been in my trainer in the basement just about all winter long.  The only thing that I do at the Y is swim.  No treadmill (unless absolutely necessary) and definitely no stationary bikes.

As for the mechanical aspects of it, if your LBS tunes up your bike correctly there shouldn't be any chain issues.  As for flats, well, they happen and there isn't too much you can do short of making sure that your tubes and tires are in good shape.  Tubes are cheap, and depending on the tires you pick, they can be reasonable or outregeous.  I tend to put new tubes and tires on my bike every spring.

Scout

2009-04-03 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
One of our spring jobs before our bikes hit the road is to replace tires and tubes. Ginny, if your bike is on trainers all winter, it wears the tires down. That is where we do all of our riding- Mike likes to do the Spinervals videos, I either read or watch my DVD"s of The Tudors.

My US is next Thursday- sorry Jo. I wish it was already over! We walked outside yesterday and it helped some with the nausea. I'm hoping for my first lap swim in two weeks today. My body needs it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2009-04-05 4:12 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hey gang, Could ya help a brother out?

My significant other (Betsy) and I have ended a long and wonderful relationship.  Frankly, I'm crushed.  I thought we were getting better and better, but i obviously missed the 'signs' she giving me.  I'm having a difficult time staying focused, but I've missed a good deal of workouts lately, so I'm gonna have to drag myself to the gym and try to sweat away my sorrows.  Thanks for listening to a grown man pout.   Hope everyone is doing well.  Spring is near. 

2009-04-05 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
(((Jeff))) I am so sorry.  How devastating!  We are here for you.  I don't have any words of wisdom, each break up I've been through has been different and I reacted to them differently.  Take some time to get your head together and by all means forgive yourself for the training you have missed.  We all miss training, its not the end of the world, and our bodies have amazing memory fibers that kick in when we get started again.  Do what ever you need to and know that you have a mentor group that will be here if you need some encouragement.  PM me anytime if you need a friend.
2009-04-05 12:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Aw, Jeff. I have no insight here as it has been way too long since I had a break-up, and I was usually the one who crushed the other person. Not proud of that fact, either.
Throw yourself back into the training. It will help you get out your stress and tension, and then this summer you'll be beating women off with a stick. Yikes. That's a bad image. What I mean is girls in bikinis will appear on a trampoline outside your house? I'm trying. Anyway....so sorry for you. Take it out on your bike. And the dreadmill. And the pool.
2009-04-05 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

So sorry Jeff.  It's definitely hard to deal with.  Been there! 

Take one day at a time and allow yourself time to grieve.  Training may help with a distraction or it may not.  Do what's best for you.

2009-04-05 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

First time posting pictures so not sure if this will work or not

I went to the garage today to get the old ten speed out and see what type of work it needs.  I remember now why I haven't had it out in a long time.  It's missing a pedal.  I hate to load it up and take it to the bike shop just to find out what it is that I need to buy.  Do you think this picture shows it well enough to print out and tell them what I want?

or is there a specific size or something I'm looking for to tell them?

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-04-05 5:56 PM

(P4050003edit.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
P4050003edit.JPG (49KB - 18 downloads)
2009-04-05 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Looks like you need a crank and a pedal.  I'd still take it into the LBS.  They may have a 'junk box' in the back that has a crank and pedal that would work for your bike.  You can at least talk to them before taking the bike in and see if they think they'd be able to help.

Jeff - Don't know what to say except that I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Matt

2009-04-05 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Thanks everyone.  I'll keep ya posted.

Ginny-You need a 'square taper' crank arm and crank arm bolt.  To determine the size, look on the inside of the other arm (facing the bike) you'll see a number 65, 70, 72.5 (or maybe 165/170 etc.) this number is the length of the crank arm.  Short cranks/smaller numbers are for spinning the pedals at higher rpm, while longer cranks are better for stronger, slower cadence riders.  Of course, there is alot more to explain, but that's the jist of it.  You'll also need a crank arm puller (a special wrench).  IOWs -take it to the LBS.  While you're doing all that.  have them clean and re-lube the Bottom bracket. 
2009-04-06 5:55 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

A new bike makes everything better! I highly recommend. If you have been reading my blog, I had a dear friend die last week. I was in such a funk and am trying hard to pull out of it. I have always wanted this bike and the trek store had a sale. I decided that life is too short and they had 12 months same as cash so I can pay it off slowly.

I tried attaching a pic but wasn't successful.  If you click on my name, the pictures are there and if you click on the pictures you get a huge picture of me and my new baby.   

Edited by jogo 2009-04-06 5:59 AM
2009-04-06 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
I guess I'm really hesitant to take this bike to the LBS just because  I don't want to put a lot of money into it.  They give me a new crank and pedal and lube the chain, and I know I need new tires etc by that time how much money will I have in it and then who knows it still may not work.  (shifters etc.)  It's an old hand me down that I have never even rode. 

Oh well guess I'll just suck it up and take it in and tell them I don't want to put a lot of money into it.  I'll give them a set price and if it goes over that I'll tell them not to do it.  I'll use my Mountain bike for now and maybe look into buying a new one eventually. 

2009-04-06 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2064821

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
jogo - 2009-04-06 6:55 AM

A new bike makes everything better! I highly recommend. If you have been reading my blog, I had a dear friend die last week. I was in such a funk and am trying hard to pull out of it. I have always wanted this bike and the trek store had a sale. I decided that life is too short and they had 12 months same as cash so I can pay it off slowly.

I tried attaching a pic but wasn't successful.  If you click on my name, the pictures are there and if you click on the pictures you get a huge picture of me and my new baby.   

Sorry to hear about your friend.  Awesome looking bike! 
2009-04-06 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Jo - Sorry to hear about your friend.  Our little group is having a rough couple of weeks here!

On a happier note, I just mailed my registration for my first race.  Pinchot Park Sprint near Harrisburg PA on May 17.  It's about a 90 minute drive from my house, so I don't think that I'll be going out there on Saturday for the newbie meeting/early packet pickup etc.  It's a 750 yard swim, 18 mile bike and 3 mile run.  I'm planning on doing nothing but drills for the next two weeks in the pool to really get my stroke in better shape, and I've been running plenty, now I just need to focus on getting some outside bike miles in my legs.

Matt
2009-04-06 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Matt, May 17, how cold will the water be?  Are you going to rent a wetsuit?  Brrrrr, I'm cold just thinking about it.  My first this year is May 31 and last year the water was 69 on race day. 

Congrats on signing up for your first race!  Its good to have a goal. 

2009-04-06 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
I'll definitely be wearing a wetsuit.  Don't know if I'm going to rent one or just buy one on ebay...we'll have to see what's out there...

Matt
2009-04-07 1:36 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Ginny, Clean that bike up and put it for sale on Craigslist. Advertise it as a potential single speed/fixie. Those old-school frames are in high demand for SS/fixie bikes. I'll bet you could get $70-100.00 for it. jeff

ON A PERSONAL NOTE: After much soul searching and deliberation I have decided (in a nutshell) to simplify my life a bit. Therefor i have cancelled my HIM plans for this year and instead will focus on the Oly distances only. My (ex) girlfriend confided in me that my life was just too hectic and she was afraid to ask for any more of my time. I'm a single-parent of one and a weekend parent of two more, I work 12 hours shifts that change every 10 weeks (days-nights-weekends) and I have a PT job a a local bike shop... while trying to train 6-8 hours a week for a HIM that I was only hoping to 'finish'-not compete, just finish. Hectic? I can see that now. Unproductive-yeah! Everything was getting done half-; parenting, work, relationships etc.
So I took some time to sort out the things I can change and the things I can't change. So effective immediatly I'm working day shifts (not nights), I'll have my weekends off and I've jettisoned some of the baggage I've been carrying for several years (after a bitter divorce). It seems like a lot to change, but I feel better already. Less 'weighted' down and burdened. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all your support. Jeff

2009-04-07 5:54 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Jeff, it sounds like you are getting on the right track.  I was a single parent of 3 for 7 years.  I know all about refocusing and time constraints.  I have worked midnights and will tell you once your body gets used to a day shift only you will be much happier.  Our circadian rhythms just don't match with night shifts and you may not notice it now but you will feel like a totally different person.  You will get a routine and life will just seem easier.  You couldn't pay me enough to ever work another night shift.  The world is just brighter on the day shift. We are here for you.   

2009-04-07 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Oh - I feel like I missed so much.

Jeff- impressed by your insight, and your willingness to make changes. Focusing on OLYs is fine- that is still a long distance, and still a lot of training. You need to find a gal who has at least raced a sprint- she'll understand your time constraints. Me doing tris has greatly improved Mike and I's relationship.

Jo- I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. And I agree with you- life is way too short. I'm anxious to see your pictures!

Matt- I suggest renting a wetsuit first, just so you start to get an idea of what features you do or do not like. You may find that you do not like the shoulder range of motion restriction that you get in a wetsuit and instead want an armless one. Plus there are so many different brands with different features.

Ginny- not leaving you out. I'm just hoping all is well with you!

I am really struggling to just survive. The nausea is horrible and I'm trying to just focus on the basics, which are keeping us all in clean clothes, in a somewhat clean house, with food on the table most nights. We're leaving Wednesday to head South for easter weekend; I'll make sure I post Thursday night after our ultrasound.
2009-04-07 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I remembered now what I wanted to say-
Ginny- the bike- last year we put about $150 (new tires and tubes, new seat, cheap bike computer, and a really good tune up) into my husband's old Miyata road bike from High School. That is what I raced on, 2 sprints, one in the rain, and man was I ever thankful during that rainy slippery race for the work done on my bike. I recommend what someone else on here said- hit your LBS, get a tune up, some pedals (I have the cage pedals, not clip-ins, and that worked fine for me my first season). Wait on getting a new, or used, bike until you get some races under your belt. Plus by then you'll see lots of bikes in action and get your first twinges of I WANT THAT.
2009-04-08 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
OMG, We've been archived!!  Please don't leave me. I need you all. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23