BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-02-08 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1949974

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business

Sprint_DA - 2009-02-06 5:49 PM So, I've always had tight calves...they consistently tighten up as I run.  Well, tonight I was starting on lap 3 around the park where the running path is clear of snow.  I was 1.76 miles into my run tonight before I couldn't stand running on them any more.  Even just standing still it was like having both of my soleus muscles flexed.  I ran at the same park last Saturday when it was a little cooler out and stopped after 4.X without any real soreness, but I'd also done an hour and fifteen minutes of yoga that morning.  Am I going to have to do that every time I want to run?  Anyone ideas on what I can do to cut down on this issue?

I have heard too many times to count that when you have a running issue, go one joint up and the opposite leg, and that will be where your problem actually is.. if it's both of them than it's usually not the problem (calfs) more like knee or hip.   

Just all the regular info/questions...  how many miles on the shoes, are they the correct shoes from you,, do you have any running form issue that cause over use??   not many answers just more questions... do you have any running groups or really good running shoe stores around you..   

2009-02-08 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1950918

User image

Champion
the colony texas
draykus - 2009-02-07 8:53 PM

Decided tonight to sign up for the St. Patrick's day Tri.  I can't wait. Smile

YES!!!!!

I think I might do the actual 1/2 at cowtown since that's such a cool medal.. I just need to reschedule a poker night at my house the night before since I didn't realize the race is on sat not sunday

2009-02-09 7:06 AM
in reply to: #1866633

User image

Regular

Last minute proposal for the week:  another Pushups/Pull-ups/Crunches Challenge!? Anyone?

Another idea for a Challenge could be something that gets everyone in the game no matter what their fitness level/training distances are: Greatest % increase in total distance/time in the 3 disciplines. Combined & individual medals awarded.

I'll post this in everyone's Inspire to make sure everyone puts in there 2 cents. 

2009-02-09 7:19 AM
in reply to: #1952033

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
vivmo - 2009-02-09 7:06 AM

Last minute proposal for the week:  another Pushups/Pull-ups/Crunches Challenge!? Anyone?

Another idea for a Challenge could be something that gets everyone in the game no matter what their fitness level/training distances are: Greatest % increase in total distance/time in the 3 disciplines. Combined & individual medals awarded.

I'll post this in everyone's Inspire to make sure everyone puts in there 2 cents. 

Bring it on - 

2009-02-09 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1952033

User image

Davenport, IA
vivmo - 2009-02-09 7:06 AM

I'll give the crunches/push-ups a shot this week.

2009-02-09 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1951823

User image

Davenport, IA
Gaarryy - 2009-02-08 8:55 PM

Sprint_DA - 2009-02-06 5:49 PM So, I've always had tight calves...they consistently tighten up as I run.  Well, tonight I was starting on lap 3 around the park where the running path is clear of snow.  I was 1.76 miles into my run tonight before I couldn't stand running on them any more.  Even just standing still it was like having both of my soleus muscles flexed.  I ran at the same park last Saturday when it was a little cooler out and stopped after 4.X without any real soreness, but I'd also done an hour and fifteen minutes of yoga that morning.  Am I going to have to do that every time I want to run?  Anyone ideas on what I can do to cut down on this issue?

I have heard too many times to count that when you have a running issue, go one joint up and the opposite leg, and that will be where your problem actually is.. if it's both of them than it's usually not the problem (calfs) more like knee or hip.   

Just all the regular info/questions...  how many miles on the shoes, are they the correct shoes from you,, do you have any running form issue that cause over use??   not many answers just more questions... do you have any running groups or really good running shoe stores around you..   

I have no idea if I have a running form issue.  How would I tell that?  My shoes have less than 100 miles on them, and they are supposed to be the correct shoe - as sold to me by the best running shoe store in the Quad Cities.  

2009-02-09 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1952077

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Sprint_DA - 2009-02-09 7:40 AM

I have no idea if I have a running form issue.  How would I tell that?  My shoes have less than 100 miles on them, and they are supposed to be the correct shoe - as sold to me by the best running shoe store in the Quad Cities.  

well it sounds like it's not your shoes... and the place that sold them to you most likely knows what they are doing,, they did watch you walk/jog a bit to make sure you got the right shoe correct...??

I know when my calfs act up,, it's due to my hips being to tight, placing more stress on my legs, so I use a foam rollar on the hips and calfs,   I had to switch from asics to nike's just since the nike are a little higher in the heel, and when I ran in the asics I had to put a small insert under my heels to relieve presure no my calfs some...   I'd go back to the running store if you can and ask them also.. there are some long time runners that can figure things out

2009-02-09 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1952077

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Sprint_DA - 2009-02-09 7:40 AM

Your Yoga in the morning - what stretching are you doing on the calves - I know mine can get tight if I do not stretch them on a foam roller before.  

2009-02-10 12:33 PM

User image

Davenport, IA

I went back to the running store and they recommended inserts for the time being, and that I come run with their running club once they really get started back up.  I also started to up my daily intake of magnesium.

The first 10-15 minutes of every yoga class is spent doing nothing but warming your legs up.  Get almost every muscle, not much with the quads.

2009-02-10 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1954863

User image

Regular
Sprint_DA - 2009-02-10 12:33 PM

I went back to the running store and they recommended inserts for the time being, and that I come run with their running club once they really get started back up.  I also started to up my daily intake of magnesium.

The first 10-15 minutes of every yoga class is spent doing nothing but warming your legs up.  Get almost every muscle, not much with the quads.

I had a breakthrough with knee, ankle, etc. pain when I went to an orthopedist & they made me custom orthotic inserts. Insurance paid for all of it minus the deductible. I HIGHLY recommend them. Are your shoe a 1/2 to full size too big? That helps, too.

2009-02-11 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1955133

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

How do you know when you are having a bad day in the water???

I go in to swim this morning and do my warmup. 100 pull, 100 swim, 100 pull.  Things are feeling pretty rough and I'm thinking it might not be a great day, but I tell myself to just stick with it and I'll find my groove.

Next on the workout is 300 in drills which starts with 4x25 alternating kick on back and kick on side.  I put my zoomers on and off I go.  Down to the end of the pool on my back, not too bad.  Turn around and start kicking on my side.  Having problems finding any balance on my side but I continue on adjusting my leading hand position, adjusting my head, keeping my kick small, finally I make it to the end of the pool.  I stop, stand up and reach for my water bottle for a quick sip.  Where is my water bottle???? and my pull bouy, and my flip-flops........they are laying at the end of the lane to my left......did someone move them?  NOOOO.  I moved.   Somehow while trying to kick on my side down the pool I went under the lane divider into the next lane and never even realized it.  Good thing the guy using that lane was at the other end and I didn't run into him, although the life guard did see it and got a good chuckle.

Let's just say that I adjusted the planned workout.  Did not think it would be a good day to do best possible average on 100 repeats.

2009-02-11 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1956694

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Maybe you went so fast you jumped over the lane and did not even know it.
2009-02-11 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1956694

User image

Champion
the colony texas
jkholden - 2009-02-11 11:16 AM

How do you know when you are having a bad day in the water???

I go in to swim this morning and do my warmup. 100 pull, 100 swim, 100 pull.  Things are feeling pretty rough and I'm thinking it might not be a great day, but I tell myself to just stick with it and I'll find my groove.

Next on the workout is 300 in drills which starts with 4x25 alternating kick on back and kick on side.  I put my zoomers on and off I go.  Down to the end of the pool on my back, not too bad.  Turn around and start kicking on my side.  Having problems finding any balance on my side but I continue on adjusting my leading hand position, adjusting my head, keeping my kick small, finally I make it to the end of the pool.  I stop, stand up and reach for my water bottle for a quick sip.  Where is my water bottle???? and my pull bouy, and my flip-flops........they are laying at the end of the lane to my left......did someone move them?  NOOOO.  I moved.   Somehow while trying to kick on my side down the pool I went under the lane divider into the next lane and never even realized it.  Good thing the guy using that lane was at the other end and I didn't run into him, although the life guard did see it and got a good chuckle.

Let's just say that I adjusted the planned workout.  Did not think it would be a good day to do best possible average on 100 repeats.

I agree,, it just sounds like pure speed,, but actually that's great you are sooooo focused on your workout that you didn't notice.  I guess as long as you don't run into the wall it's a good thing.  but it did make me laugh too so thanks for sharing that  

2009-02-12 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Gary - have you done a VO2 test - I noticed Texas Triple Threat does this and if you get 3 people the cost goes down to $165 each?
2009-02-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1958795

User image

Champion
the colony texas

gleser - 2009-02-12 10:56 AM Gary - have you done a VO2 test - I noticed Texas Triple Threat does this and if you get 3 people the cost goes down to $165 each?

nope never done it... do they actually do it though,, I remember last year I was wanting a metabolicwith HR zones test,, and they said they could do it,, but they send you over to Ahmed at playtri...  

The one I would really like is the one that tells you what % of carb/fat you are burning at the different HR's.  so you could see while biking that if you are in the 110-120 range you are burning 90% fat, while at the 150-160 Range you are burning 90%carbs.. that way you can figure out how much you need to eat on the bike based on where your HR is..

2009-02-17 9:35 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Thanks for your help with the bike fit Gaarryy.  Really should take that wheel off though.

2009-02-21 7:44 AM

User image

Davenport, IA

We're hovering really close to the bottom of the list of team threads. 

How are all of your weekends going?  

2009-02-21 8:49 PM
in reply to: #1967570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
funny stuff.  Nice bike.  I've got nothing for you either.
2009-02-21 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1974439

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Sprint_DA - 2009-02-21 7:44 AM

We're hovering really close to the bottom of the list of team threads. 

How are all of your weekends going?  

Can't really say why but I've had no motivation to post on BT.  I barely even check out the Texas thread.  I have been forcing myself to get on and log my workouts.  Must be the long hours at work.

2009-02-23 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)

Hey found a great website - type your name in and will list all the races you have done and times - it is free.

www.athlinks.com

2009-02-23 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)

Hey found a great website - type your name in and will list all the races you have done and times - it is free.

www.athlinks.com

2009-02-23 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)

www.athlinks.com

2009-02-23 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Sorry for the triple post - I forgot to put the HTTP://in front of the address - the last one is correct.
2009-02-23 9:18 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Had my first night of Masters swim classes tonight.  It was a good workout, even though we didn't get through the whole thing.  I don't know how exactly we're supposed to fit 3500 yds into a 1hr class...but maybe the goal is to get us to that kind of speed.  I was told me stroke was ok, but I need to get my hand into the water quicker, and that I need to kick just a little bit more.
2009-02-24 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1977616

User image

Champion
the colony texas

gleser - 2009-02-23 2:15 PM Sorry for the triple post - I forgot to put the HTTP://in front of the address - the last one is correct.

the cool thing about that website is you can search for your races also... usually mine are not always on there,

Been having some serious lack of motivation issue's with working out, posting, plus with a lot of other stuff going on, it makes it harder to post anything, besides I"m an inspire type of person anyway (unless it's a bike fit thread)  but Febuary is always my hardest month,, I blame seasonal disorder and that is my reason I'll get a tanning membership but I've been slacking there..
Of course taking time off my regular job to volunteer to work 12+hrs drained me also,, it's amazing how out of whack you can get when your regular schedule is messed up, I really dont know how people that live where it's cloudy, and cold do it...

I switched my 1/2IM in early april to doing a sprint on saturday and a 1/4 IM on sunday so it's basically a Oly with a shorter swim, which works so against me since the swim is the only thing I'm marginal at.. but I'll get two races in one weekend that I"m better prepared for instead of one that I"m so not prepared for the bike which would kill my run...    of course now that I've done that I"ll be motivated to train more..

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  

of 13