BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-02-26 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1984058

User image

Randolph, NJ
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now
Damn Steve - If I keep doing triathlons...will i look like this??? LOL!!!!

2009-02-26 4:41 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Those pro pics are pretty impressive.  I wonder who will show up this year.  I figure we always have a shot at Desiree Ficker because she's a hometown girl.  I hear great stories of how you can just walk up to the pros and start talking to them, but when they are there, you think to yourself, "what in the world am I going to say to Chris McCormack?"

I last did Columbia in 2006 and I haven't done Eagleman before.  I do have a video from Ironman Arizona though.  I am only in the last few seconds.  I am the guy coming across the finish line in the blue shirt, doing the awesome arm slam on the finish banner.

Ironman Arizona Finish Video

2009-02-27 4:54 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I think Macca and Jessi Stensland were there because of their Under Armour sponsership. McCormick was very cool. My young daughter had her hand out and he gave her a "low five" and told her she better be out there some day.

All the other pros were also very nice. If you gave them a "nice job" or "looking great" most of them said "Thanks you".
2009-02-27 4:55 AM
in reply to: #1984094

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-02-26 3:59 PM

Damn Steve - If I keep doing triathlons...will i look like this??? LOL!!!!

That's what I'm shooting for. :-)
2009-02-27 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1982665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-02-25 11:53 PM

2007 Columbia Triathlon Video

2008 Eagleman Triathlon Video

It's hard to watch a well done video of your future race without getting totally psyched!!  Motivating, for sure.  Are you psyched, Becky??!! :-)

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.  I have a lot to be doing at work, but I did make time for the videos.  The Columbia one was AWESOME!  I love it.  So inspiring.   I know Eagleman was rough last year with the heat and you can see it in the death marches on the video.  Still exciting to watch though. 

I was really psyched to do my first outdoor ride of the season last night.  Some details are in my log, but there were some killer hills (see elevation chart below).  It was so fun though.  I can't wait for Columbia!

2009-02-27 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1983969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton

abbiesue - 2009-02-26 3:10 PM OMG Dave - Its amazing I got any work at all done today...I was completely sucked in with those videos and photos! It was totally motivating!! THANKS it was just what I needed! Are there any shots of you or Becky in those videos?

Columbia 2009 will be my first race (tri) ever, so no photos of me!!  :-)  Thanks for the links, Dave.  They really did up my excitement about 300%, and it was high already!

2009-02-27 2:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

WOW.  I was wondering which one of us would be the first one outside on the bike.  Today is almost good enough for me, but it's a bit windy.  Maybe I should've taken off work.

Way to go!!

You don't want your 1st tri pics?  I wonder what mine look like.  I bet I have them somewhere.  The 1st of any meaningful race is always memorable.  I have frames for my 1st marathon, first IM and the last IM.  I must've had bad pictures for my 1st tri because I know I would've wanted them.

2009-02-27 11:17 PM
in reply to: #1986238

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-02-27 3:04 PM

You don't want your 1st tri pics?  I wonder what mine look like.  I bet I have them somewhere.  The 1st of any meaningful race is always memorable.  I have frames for my 1st marathon, first IM and the last IM.  I must've had bad pictures for my 1st tri because I know I would've wanted them.

No, you just misunderstood what I meant.  I meant that there were no photos of me in the video because I've never done a tri.  I do have photos from a couple of my races, but they are expensive, so I stopped buying them after a race or two.  I got one from my first half marathon and my first full marathon.  For both my first marathon and J's, we made each of us a shadow box with the race bib, medal, 2 photos, and a race patch.  They don't look quite as awesome as the ones they try to sell you for like $250, but they look pretty darn good if I do say so myself! :-)  If they are remotely decent, I will probably want a photo from Eagleman.  Not sure about Columbia, which will be my first. 

2009-03-02 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Ah, yes shadow boxes work really well.  Awesome.

Did everyone get out for their big weekend workouts before the snow came?  I'm struggling to get my "bike rides" in with this cold.  I can only hang on the stationary bike for so long.

I paced a friend at the B&A Half Marathon over the weekend, coming in a couple of minutes under the goal, with a 1:57:48.  Go Jenn! :-)  Hard to get out of bed when you see snow on the ground but it's amazing how different things are once you get out there.  I'm glad I got out the door!

Edited by kalalau 2009-03-02 2:33 PM
2009-03-02 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1992080

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-03-02 2:56 PM

Did everyone get out for their big weekend workouts before the snow came?  I'm struggling to get my "bike rides" in with this cold.  I can only hang on the stationary bike for so long.

I paced a friend at the B&A Half Marathon over the weekend, coming in a couple of minutes under the goal, with a 1:57:48.  Go Jenn! :-)  Hard to get out of bed when you see snow on the ground but it's amazing how different things are once you get out there.  I'm glad I got out the door!

Great job on the pacing success!  I was able to get my run in outside yesterday, and did as close to an "all out" as I could muster with tired legs at the end of the week, on rolling hills.  My overall pace was a 9:55, but my 10k pace was a little slower at 10:00 even (gotta love the push at the end to bring down the average).   Using the online predictions, my 1/2 Marathon goal should be around a 2:20.  However, on flat ground with a little bit of rest, that won't stop me from going for a sub-2:13.  :-

2009-03-02 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Wow you really did speed up on that last lap!  Good job on your run.

Reading about your bike ride in your log, with dogs and speedy downhills, made my heart race a little bit. :-)  Oh I hate the dogs chasing the bike.  How close did he get to your feet?  I always wondered what would happen if they caught me.

Just checked the forums.. wow there are a lot of dog versus bike threads on here.

Edited by kalalau 2009-03-02 6:04 PM

2009-03-02 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Ok Mooney (Mike), it's time to invoke the "the group is for encouragement and keeping ourselves accountable" clause. :-)  I see you've been running.  Way to get back on that horse!  What's the plan, how are you feeling?
2009-03-03 11:43 AM

I'm feeling much better, thanks. But I've lost two weeks of training, so I won't be racing Black Bear in May. I AM still training for the Half Marathon (5/3), so that's why my log only shows running.

In fact, it looks like HIM is not going to happen this season. Instead, I have found a number of Olympic Tri's in the area that look good. And since they're later in the season (June-September), I can avoid getting a wetsuit. Also, the shorter biking distances can be accomplished with my beater-bike.

So, until May I'll concentrate on running with an occasional swim or bike workout. After the half marathon I'll focus more on swim/bike while maintaining my running. Maybe do some speedwork for a change.

2009-03-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1992080

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland

I had to cut my 22 miler short on Thursday when my hammies started cramping up. I only made it half way. I did another 11 on Saturday. One more LONG run this week before my big race. I hope the snow and ice has melted before then.
2009-03-03 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1992214

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
ras26 - 2009-03-02 4:00 PM

Great job on the pacing success!  I was able to get my run in outside yesterday, and did as close to an "all out" as I could muster with tired legs at the end of the week, on rolling hills.  My overall pace was a 9:55, but my 10k pace was a little slower at 10:00 even (gotta love the push at the end to bring down the average).   Using the online predictions, my 1/2 Marathon goal should be around a 2:20.  However, on flat ground with a little bit of rest, that won't stop me from going for a sub-2:13.  :-

I'm sure you can make the sub 2:13. You gotta love the "Race Day Magic".
2009-03-03 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1994162

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Mooney - 2009-03-03 12:43 PM

I'm feeling much better, thanks. But I've lost two weeks of training, so I won't be racing Black Bear in May. I AM still training for the Half Marathon (5/3), so that's why my log only shows running.

In fact, it looks like HIM is not going to happen this season. Instead, I have found a number of Olympic Tri's in the area that look good. And since they're later in the season (June-September), I can avoid getting a wetsuit. Also, the shorter biking distances can be accomplished with my beater-bike.

So, until May I'll concentrate on running with an occasional swim or bike workout. After the half marathon I'll focus more on swim/bike while maintaining my running. Maybe do some speedwork for a change.

Mike,

Sounds like we're kind of on the same training schdule. I might do a 1/2 marathon on May 3rd and then start my serious Tri training. My first Triis on Father's Day so I might need to start squeezing in some other training sooner than my running schedule would like.

Consistency is the key. If you enjoy triathlon then a couple of off weeks here and there won't affect your long term participation in the sport. I always have to remind myself that this isn't the ONLY year I'll be racing. This keeps me from overtraining.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

2009-03-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1994162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Ok, we've got 8 weekends of training left before your race.  That's still decent time.  How did your 5.85 miler feel last weekend?    How are the aches and pains?  You're going to have to pay attention to injuries, with the setbacks that have occurred.  You might even want to consider a Galloway type method to avoid injuries.  The idea is to be able to go longer and avoid injuries by taking walking breaks.  Some people have claimed that you can actually go faster by taking walking breaks but I don't believe that for a second unless you have a long history of crashing hard in your races. 

The Galloway Method

I've done the walking break idea and it does make a big difference.  I haven't been nearly as structured as Galloway's method though.  I think a 8:2 ratio is fairly decent.  8 minutes of running, 2 walking, 8 minutes running, 2 walking, etc.  The idea is to get your body to recover, early on, and hold off the eventual crash and burn.  I have done it on some long runs that I didn't feel I was ready for.  I have also done it in marathons, though as a last resort late in the race.  I have done it in IM marathons in both of my IMs now, because I had to (the body just told me NO).  In many cases, if the aid stations are frequent (HIM and IM race frequently have aid stations every mile), I will run to the aid station and take my walk break there.  It's such a motivator, to be able to tell yourself that all you need to do is make it to the next aid station.  There is no "26 miles of horror up ahead."  It's a 1 mile run.

2009-03-03 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1994281

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-03-03 1:24 PM  I had to cut my 22 miler short on Thursday when my hammies started cramping up. I only made it half way. I did another 11 on Saturday. One more LONG run this week before my big race. I hope the snow and ice has melted before then.

Bummer, were you dehydrated?  Cramps are a sign of dehydration.  Sounds like you are fine with the 2 days of 11.

Your long run this week is on Friday?  I haven't figured out where I am doing my long run for this week.  I'd like to get 14-15 somewhere.  It may get up to 60 degrees though, so that might be an opportunity to jump on the bike and head out to the NCR Trail in the melting snow.

2009-03-03 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1994755

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
kalalau - 2009-03-03 4:24 PM

SCamp07 - 2009-03-03 1:24 PM  I had to cut my 22 miler short on Thursday when my hammies started cramping up. I only made it half way. I did another 11 on Saturday. One more LONG run this week before my big race. I hope the snow and ice has melted before then.

Bummer, were you dehydrated?  Cramps are a sign of dehydration.  Sounds like you are fine with the 2 days of 11.

Your long run this week is on Friday?  I haven't figured out where I am doing my long run for this week.  I'd like to get 14-15 somewhere.  It may get up to 60 degrees though, so that might be an opportunity to jump on the bike and head out to the NCR Trail in the melting snow.

I don't think I was dehydrated. The trails were pretty muddy and I slid and my leg came out from underneath me. I caught myself but came down at weird angle. Just after that the cramping/tighening started. It was also very warm. I could have pushed on but thought I better not chance it. I did the other 11 on the roads and felt okay. The hammy was still a little tight but not bad.
Now, I just need this snow/ice to clear up. I'm hoping to get the long run in on Friday and bike (for the first time) on Sunday.

Where do you usually do your long runs?
2009-03-03 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1994744

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
kalalau - 2009-03-03 4:20 PM

Ok, we've got 8 weekends of training left before your race.  That's still decent time.  How did your 5.85 miler feel last weekend?    How are the aches and pains?  You're going to have to pay attention to injuries, with the setbacks that have occurred.  You might even want to consider a Galloway type method to avoid injuries.  The idea is to be able to go longer and avoid injuries by taking walking breaks.  Some people have claimed that you can actually go faster by taking walking breaks but I don't believe that for a second unless you have a long history of crashing hard in your races. 

The Galloway Method

I've done the walking break idea and it does make a big difference.  I haven't been nearly as structured as Galloway's method though.  I think a 8:2 ratio is fairly decent.  8 minutes of running, 2 walking, 8 minutes running, 2 walking, etc.  The idea is to get your body to recover, early on, and hold off the eventual crash and burn.  I have done it on some long runs that I didn't feel I was ready for.  I have also done it in marathons, though as a last resort late in the race.  I have done it in IM marathons in both of my IMs now, because I had to (the body just told me NO).  In many cases, if the aid stations are frequent (HIM and IM race frequently have aid stations every mile), I will run to the aid station and take my walk break there.  It's such a motivator, to be able to tell yourself that all you need to do is make it to the next aid station.  There is no "26 miles of horror up ahead."  It's a 1 mile run.

I think that's a great idea. A lot of new runners feel the need to push themselves and "feel the burn" or follow the "no pain, no gain" mantra. I think the biggest aspect of becoming a better runner is recovery. Improving your endurance and speed is all about pushing your body to the edge then backing off to recover. In time that edge gets further and further out and improvement happens.

Pushing past the edges to frequently leads to injuries, demoralzation and decreased performance.

Just my .2 cents worth.
2009-03-03 11:32 PM
in reply to: #1994854

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-03-03 4:54 PM I don't think I was dehydrated. The trails were pretty muddy and I slid and my leg came out from underneath me. I caught myself but came down at weird angle. Just after that the cramping/tighening started. It was also very warm. I could have pushed on but thought I better not chance it. I did the other 11 on the roads and felt okay. The hammy was still a little tight but not bad. Now, I just need this snow/ice to clear up. I'm hoping to get the long run in on Friday and bike (for the first time) on Sunday. Where do you usually do your long runs?

Ah, ok I can see that happening.

My long runs are a bit scattered about.  My default place is the NCR Trail.  Sometimes I will run around Piney Orchard, or get in a combination of the BWI Trail and B&A Trail.  My club runs on the NCR Trail on many Saturdays if I can get myself out of bed early enough.  I might be up for running the BWI Trail on Friday night. 

Once it gets warm enough, I will start getting myself in shape enough to bike from Cockeysville to York on the rail trail.  I do that several times in the summer and it's a lot of fun.  When friends come long, we will stop in York and have lunch.

2009-03-04 2:32 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Sorry for being AWOL over the last month. Dave thanks fro sending me an e-mail wondering where I am.  

In January I got a bit cocky and wanted to jump right into Olympic size training and realized almost right away that I was not quite there yet.  So, I hit the transition training program real hard between sprint to olympic for about 3 weeks.  In February, I started the Olympic training program as found on this site, I believe that may have been the last update I had given to the group.  I have been starting up a new office working 12 hour days and then training at night for about 4 hours.  Needless to say I have shut out EVERYTHING.  Friends, family, television, books, news, the only thing I have made time for is research on Triathlon training.  I have been reading Triathlete religiously and combing through the websites and absorbing anything I can get my hands on to train better, faster and harder.  If you knew me better, I am just built this way, focused and perhaps way over determined.  I could never wrap my head around doing any sort of sport or activity for fun, I hate to suck, I do take it way to seriously.  It is a personal character flaw.  

I have not been able to find anything definitive as far as diet is concerned. I have been training Dave, per your advice with Gatorade, I am still trying to figure out how to supplement during training for the Olympic.  I worked out hard on it for about 2 weeks and realized I was more and more fatigued and I was not able to keep up with my diet.  I started to ask the questions about nutrition and everyone seemed to say "what ever works for you".  So, I have been experimenting a lot with eating and managing my diet and rest.  I am now on the training schedule of training real hard on everything for a week then 2 weeks of building in which I will hit one discipline hard, and then one of recovery.  I have adjusted my workouts to mostly tempo workouts, with a couple of speed and endurance workouts in between.  On the tempo workouts I am trying with every workout to extend the amount of time I can sustain my HRM at about 80-85% of my max.  For me that is around 145.  Except on the runs, I am trying to run at about 7min. miles I try hard to sustain that pace as long as I can.  That puts me at about 160 HRM when I am running 7:03 min miles.  I usually brick every workout now too.  When I last updated you guys, I could do it for about .5 miles I am closing in on 2 miles as of yesterday.  I have been focusing more on rest than anything else.  IT IS THAT IMPORTANT.  I only eat grain carbs, peanut butter, some nuts, fruits and vegetables.  I try to consume about 3K-4K calories a day, even on rest days (I may even eat more on rest days)

My weight training is limited to 2 days a week, I try to do CORE workouts everyday, some form of sit-ups, back and push-ups.

I am starting to look into gear as my first race is in April.  I have signed up for the Chicago Triathlon in August and I think I will do at least 5 this year.  I too cannot stand being indoors, there has been one weekend since the New Year that has been nice enough to get outside.  I need to get outside and start pushing through longer training sessions on real terrain.  I am going stir crazy locked up in doors. This week it will be in the 40's and 50's finally, so I am getting outside this week, can't wait.

2009-03-05 5:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
We're getting 70 degree days this weekend in Maryland!  I am so psyched.  I may head out to the Columbia Tri course and do a couple of laps.  I wonder if Princeton Sports is going to start up their bike rides on the course this year.
2009-03-05 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Hey Dave!

The best piece I've read on triathlete nutrition so far is in Going Long, which just came out with a new edition, nicely enough.  I have read often about daily nutrition, but since I don't make much of an effort to do it, I forget much of it.  I know what gets me through race day and that's almost it.  For a few days before the race I just try to increase the carbs, but try to stick with the longer lasting carbs with a low glycemic index.  I eat more pasta, and try to get whole wheat.  The day before the race I'll get one decent pasta meal and one meal with some sort of lean meat like fish, and rice.  I'll do pancakes frequently too. You also want to stay away from things with a high fiber content the day before.  You will be nervous enough as it is, and people frequently have "issues" even without the additional help of fiber from the day before.  So I stay away from veggies and such.  If the race is going to be a hot race, I will also increase my salt intake in the days leading up to the race.

The day of the race, I usually eat something light for breakfast, like just a Clif Bar.  I have read about folks who get up 3 hours before a race and eat a huge meal like a stack of pancakes.  But I am not waking up in the middle of the night, and I am not running on a full stomach.  Right before the race, and during the race, I use high glycemic foods like gels and gatorade.  Things that will get into your bloodstream quickly.

For a Sprint or an Olympic distance race, I don't think you have to do many things drastic in the nutrition category.

That's just what I do.  Like you've read, everyone is different.  Only doing races, and practicing in training, will lock in what works for you.

Are you still using the Olympic training schedule from this site, and sticking to the paces/HRs?  If you are overtraining, it doesn't matter what you eat, you will run yourself down.  Please keep in mind that most people approach the starting line overtrained than undertrained, and that is the death knell.  You are throwing a lot at your body right now.  How is your weight doing, with the nutrition plan you are using?

When you do your workouts, like the test triathlon you did, do you trail off at the end, or do they normally go ok with just Gatorade?

Are you still doing the Shamrock Shuffle 8k?  

Ugh, I ran out of time before talking about gear.  I have to get to the gym. :-)  Will do this tonight.

Edited by kalalau 2009-03-05 6:05 PM
2009-03-05 11:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

One of the things that you will definitely need is a race day checklist.  Beginner Triathlete has a nice customizable checklist.  But as a newbie, I wanted someone to just tell me what to bring, I didn't want to choose from a list of items.  So I have several checklists printed out, and I use them for ever race to make sure that I am not forgetting anything.  I will put one here, and then in another post talk about some of these things.

Race Gear Check-List

Swim Gear

1. Swimsuit

2. Goggles

3. Swim cap

4. Towel

5. Wetsuit

6. Body glide/Pam (for wetsuit)

7. Anti-fog solution

8. Ear/nose plugs

9. Water pan to wash your feet after the swim

Bike Gear

1. Bike

2. Helmet

3. Bike shoes

4. Bike shorts

5. Cycling gloves

6. Socks

7. Sunglasses

8. Water bottles

9. Spare tubes

10. Floor pump

11. CO2 cartridges

12. Bike tools including CO2 pump

Running Gear

1. Running shoes

2. Socks

3. Singlet

4. Sports bra

5. Running shorts

6. Number belt

7. Running hat

Extras

1. Watch

2. Heart rate monitor

3. Hotel confirmation

4. Race directions

5. Walkman

6. Extra safety pins

7. Black body marker

8. Aspirin

9. Energy bars and drinks

10. Sunscreen

11. Extra towel

12. Post race clothes and shoes

13. USAT membership card

14. Wallet/ID

15. Cash

16. Camera/film/batteries

17. Victory speech

Edited by kalalau 2009-03-05 11:58 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38