BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-02-24 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1979482

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Subject: RE: Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL
hannawho - 2009-02-24 2:02 PM

Mel--good job on the race! you hit your goal, and I bet you'll blow the 30 minute mark away in buffalo!

Actually the buffalo race is 5 miles. No way will I be doing it under 30 minutes. Maybe 50. I think I'll make that my goal. I did it in 51 something back in November but I don't know how the courses compare.

2009-02-24 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1884714

User image

Veteran
I think it would be crying....lol
2009-02-25 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1979631

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love
mellymedic - 2009-02-24 1:56 PM
hannawho - 2009-02-24 2:02 PM

Mel--good job on the race! you hit your goal, and I bet you'll blow the 30 minute mark away in buffalo!

Actually the buffalo race is 5 miles. No way will I be doing it under 30 minutes. Maybe 50. I think I'll make that my goal. I did it in 51 something back in November but I don't know how the courses compare.

My bad--Embarassed

Strike that, edit,  'you'll blow the 50 minute mark away!' 

2009-02-25 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi all!

Wondering, do any of you train with a power meter or computrainer (so you can see your watts)? Also - tri bike or road bike?

Tami
2009-02-25 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Help! I've fallen off the training and can't get back up!  (Ha---who remembers those commercials?)

Times are rough.  I just need to do it.  I know.  Yoga monday and run tuesday was good.  I needed guiness on wednesday.  Maybe thursday brings a run and a bike.  Wouldn't that be great?

I think the Ironman Oct '09 hope is officially gone.  I can't seem to stick to a training schedule thanks to my career commitment.  Oh well, I'll do it some day.  Mayeb I'll win my age group at the age of 72. 

Now my goal is just to keep training and keep smiling.  Do you know how hard it is to smile the entire 13 miles of a run?  Try it...it is hard!

Tami- to answer your question.....I do not train with powermeter.  I took a class that kicked my butt with the powermeter/watts thing. Great training tool....I am just not there yet.

2009-02-25 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Mother nature finally copperated with my outdoor run this week. After taking the past 2 weeks off with running with my club (due to weather), I had a great run tonight. I did what they call the winter 10km run. I started talking about upping to that route back in december but then the snow started to come and it got cold that we decided to just stick to the 5 mile route. I am happy to say that I did the whole 10km with no stopping plus there were 2 hills along the route. Now there is no turning back unless the weather gets bad again.

I was planning on cycling tomorrow but I need to meet with my broker after work so it is turning to be a day off. I am not really happy about that since I have not cycled in a week. I'll just have to go for my swim on Friday night now.

And I believe I have a road bike. No computer trainer. just a regular cycle computer to tell me speed, distance and time.

2009-02-26 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey Ladies!

Tami--i never used a powermeter (i actually stopped using the HR training so much since i seemed to treat it like my training bible....) but did want to try one sometime.  Also, I've got a road bike--i like it better for the tri's around here that tend to be more hilly, and steeper inclines.  i'd love a tri-bike, but just can't seem to bring myself to get one (so i'll just admire everyone else's for now!)

Speakin of HR, mine was SKYROCKETED this morning during spin class.  I had to back off a couple times just so i didn't start seeing stars! 

2009-02-27 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

Hey all! Back in Madison. I did manage to get in a fair amount of workouts while traveling. The hotel even at a lap pool, but of course I didn't take my suit.

I don't use a power meter and I need to get a new heart rate monitor. I am looking at the Polars but there are so many to choose from. Is the running/multisport version the best fit for triathlete training?

The male naked yoga would have made it very hard to concentrate!

2009-02-28 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
I use the Polar RS 100. Pretty basic, but it does everything I need it to....

What does everyone else use for HRM?
2009-03-01 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Hi all!  I train with the polar rs400. Bought it primarily for the distance tracker feature (footpod measures distance and speed).  It has a few programs to train with, but I just do my own thing.

I thought hard about getting a garmin.  However, during large races in Chicago (5ks or else marathon) it has been known to "shutoff" or lose the gps signal.  Also, final decision on the garmin was that it was not waterproof. So I woud have to throw it on in T1.  During a race, I already have too many things to think of.  So no thanks.

Ok- so yesterday I struggled but got in a 30 minute run. Today, I battled high winds and blustering snow to get in I think 5.  It was real hard!  I almost got blown over a few times and after 30 minutes, my legs felt like they have not felt since the marathon!  I might also be fighting a cold---so virtually no activity for 2 weeks, dehydration, high winds and snow, all add up to a tough run. Glad it is over.

Yes, training plan was 2 hour run and 3 hour bike this weekend...but hey, at least I got something in!

2009-03-03 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran

Morning ladies!

Did a session on the bike today--intervals for 30 minutes, then hills for 30 minutes (the stairs felt oh so good after the gym...!!).  Everyone getting their workouts in for the week?Smile  I am itching for warm weather just so I don't have to run in the cold anymore, or ride on the stationary bike. Anyone else ready for spring to be here?

HRM question:  I've got a Garmin Forerunner 50 and I love it.  I got the foot pod to go with it, so I can track HR and mileage--for me, that's all I think I can technologically handle (sometimes they confuse me if they get complicated!). I love how the watch is small enough for my wrist too!

2009-03-03 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I feel like I haven't posted in awhile. Even my training logs have been delayed in input.

I have been busy lately finishing off a website for my triathlon club. It was unveiled at our meeting this past sunday. It is still not quite finish but the basics were there. Now I am busy trying to get the rest of it done. Plus with working 9 -5 and getting workouts in, it has been busy.

Some of the my last few workouts have not been the greatest as I found people to talk to which made me run out of time to complete things. Oh well. I always got the cardio in though.

The bathroom devil struck again while I was on threadmill last night. It is so frustrating when that happens. I only had 4 minutes left too in that interval set. I ended up just redoing the whole last interval to make up for the break time.

I did legs weights last night which I haven't done in about a month and I am feeling it today. I was going to go to a cycle class this morning but decided to stick with my regular tuesday schedule of yoga and swim instead. I think that will be wise since I have a long run planned for tomorrow.

It looks like it will actually be on the plus side of the thermostat for my race this saturday. However small chance of rain at the moment. You can't win.
2009-03-03 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
DITTO ON THE WEATHER FRUSTRATION!!!! SO COLD!!!

My training plan calls for me to ride my bike outside this weekend.....
2009-03-03 3:01 PM

User image

New York, NY
Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting lately - things have been crazy! I did start a new blog and I have been recording my tranining there (and other random musings). If anybody is intersted you can check it out: http://www.commitmentisliberating.blogspot.com/. The title, Commitment is Liberating, comes from a great quote my husband found on a Starbucks cup. I think it speaks well to triathlon training!

The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating - in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life - Anne Morriss -

2009-03-03 9:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Krista- Ok- I am speechless with that quote from Anne (?) on commitment. I don't know what to do with that. Still just sorta stymied.  It makes sense, but I feel like someone is hitting me over me head.  Wow. Sorry...? That being said, your blog site is very cool!  I will be checking that out.  The pool situation is whack!

OK- I did run tonight with my running group...which is really my friend's running group. But in any case, we pushed the pace on the 4 mile run.  Felt good, Hard to breathe, but good.

Did not swim this morning--9 hours of sleep and I was out cold.  Still amazed I got up for work.  Must be the crazy weather--felt like I was fighting something this weekend.

Tami, if you were in Chicago, your outside bike ride would be ok---target 60 degrees.  That being said, we are at 25 tomorrow and back to the low 30s on Saturday.  Lots of rain and probably snow.  Outside..hah!  Maybe mid-April.

My polar footpod was on the blitz, but it is back in operation.  Hey- Tami and other swimming experts--there is a newer brand of googles coming out that is suppose to be crystal clear...best clarity yet...price point is close to $50...schumacher might be the name.  Too rich for my guppie skills

Mel- check out my tri club's site for ideas: chicagotriclub.com   I think it was just rebuilt.  What's your new site?   I want to check out your handywork!

Edited by LB22 2009-03-03 9:53 PM
2009-03-04 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Yeah - I don't think an outside bike ride this weekend is in the works for me....way to freakin' cold. I think I'll opt for riding the ironman lake placid course on the computrainer.

What's everyone's next race and when?

2009-03-04 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I'll post the address to the webstie once the site is a bit more complete. Although it was complete enough to show the club, and I have gotten rave reviews, there is still more to be done. Istill have underconstruction icons on some of the pages.

My next race is this weekend - an 8k Shamrock run. It is supposed to be warm (almost 10C) which is ablmy compared to tonight but it is also supposed to rain. We will see how it goes.

I did a 10k outdoor run tonight. I was a bit worried about it cause my legs wre still feeling my leg weight workout from monday. My legs ended up feeling great during the run. My right shin had a slight pain the whole time but nothing distracting. I think it might be time for new running shoes though.
2009-03-05 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Next Race is the Lenape challenge--it's a 5 mile run, 2 mile canoe...April 25th I think? It's a fun one though--you have to do it with a partner (for the canoes), which means that not all the fast runners necessarily win the race!
2009-03-05 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey - that's really neat - the canoe race sounds really fun!
2009-03-05 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Yeah- those people out east get all the fun races.  Wait- Tami, that's you too!

Good luck with all the runs this weekend.  I may try to get some long slow distance in....we'll see.

Crap---just saw a 3:30 ride for Saturday in my training plan...how is that going to happen? After 30 minutes, I am in pain!  

Edited by LB22 2009-03-05 8:55 PM
2009-03-06 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran

Funny-the canoe part is always a blast....sometimes the river is low and you walk your canoe down it, or the river's high and you and your partner end up falling out after some rapids into ice cold water --all in all it's an awesome race--and there is always beer afterward (along with provided refreshments of course!).

Lynn, good luck with that 3 hour session--yikes!

2009-03-07 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Mel - how was your race???
2009-03-07 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I am back from the race and ready to post about it.

First of all I got a great spring jacket for signing up.

I know there were over 3000 people registered for the race - not sure of the final number as resutls are not posted online yet. This was my biggest race in terms of participants. I think before it was around 600. What a difference a crowd makes.

I went to the race thinking I would run in shorts and a top - I brought both a long sleeve shirt and t-shirt with me. I was thinking once I got there I should have brought pants as it was a bit cold out. When I went to warm up I decided to go from the long sleeve shirt to wearing both tops. As I was waiting for the race to start I felt a drop a of rain and thought oh - no. As soon as the race started it started to drizzle and then as the race progressed the rain got heavier and heavier. I was soaked by the time I crossed the finish line. I was glad I put both shirts on as I think that helped to keep the heat in. And I was happy in shorts. I think I may have been colder in wet pants.

As for my times, at the first mile my watch read 9:25. I was really happy with that time but I was also thinking I went out too fast and my next splits will be a lot slower. But I never saw any more mile markers after that first one. I just ran the race and tried to keep a decent pace. I had no person that I could pick to help pace me as there were people everywhere. I just decided to run and pick people to pass every so often. My goal was under 50 minutes as I did a 5 mile race back in novemeber at 51 min. When I crossed the finish line I looked at my watch and sort of freaked out 46:44. I thought - holy sh*t. When they posted the results they only had finish times which read around 48:46. I'll wait for official chip with the online version. Either way I decimated my goal time.

I do have this to say, as I was heading twords an over pass (maybe 0.3 a mile from it) seeing the sea of people running up the hill and knowing that I was part of this group gave me such a happy feeling. It was just a wow feeling that gave me extra energy.
2009-03-07 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Mel- Way to go!  Awesome job blowing through that 50 min time goal. I laughed about your comments on the size of the race....it is hard to have a race under 3000 in Chicago!  I would love to do a race of 600 people! 

Get ready---the monsoons are coming east.  It has been wild bouts of hard rain since 9pm last night. Continuing through tomorrow I think.

Oh- so I called the LBS to see if they carry the Selle SMP Glider; I was going to bring my bike in and ride it for 30 minutes to test it out.  They didn't, but my fitter talked to me a bit and walked me though an adjustment or two I could make on my own (Lower the nose 2-3 degrees).  I did it, so tomorrow we'll see if I can last longer than 1.5 hours (not the 3.5hr scheduled).  

Alright ladies, I'll check in tomorrow.---OH- by the way---big news....I switched to another department at work (new job) and I booked a trip to Turks & Caicos leaving next Saturday for a week.  Throws a wrench in training (can't do any physical activity if scuba diving), but I need the mental break and warmth...especially after these last 2 weeks.  Any book recommendations?  Is the training bible a beach read?

2009-03-07 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Well running is very popular in buffalo and they have races every weekend. Or atleast within 30 min to an hour from there. You can't expect to have over 3k at every race. There are the few races that "known" races that always gets the bigger crowd. And then if I got to toronto there are the big races that can get atleast a couple of thousand. But we have A LOT of 5km charity races that will get anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand people.

And I just saw my official chip time - 0:46:38. 74th place out of 175 in my age group. I am in the top half which is not normal for me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14