Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-05-07 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2135262

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
trysprintolympic - 2009-05-06 5:33 PM I'm picking up my bike tomorrow!! I am really pumped - it's a great road bike with Kyrium racing wheels, Shimano Tiagra gears and derailleur, and new IRD road brakes. It's also coming equipped with a Cateye bike computer, spare tube and tire changing kit, and some other cycling apparel goodies. This is going to make a huge difference in my races and training!

Speaking of training, I'm following the 13-week sprint program and just realized there is zero swimming this week. That seems strange to me! I'm going to swim tomorrow instead of biking since I'm sure I'll put in a lot of extra time on the bike in the next few days. But how often is everyone else swimming in their training plan? Is it smart to rearrange the plan or should I stick to it but just add some swim sessions?

Either way. I'd recommend sticking to the plan as much as possible. For a sprint, I'm not surprised that they limit the swimming (Especially if you happened to pick a bike or a run focused one). If you're getting a lot of biking in, it might be good to sub a swim for a bike.

John

2009-05-07 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Veteran
Maine
I'm trying to figure out what would give me a respectable finish in my first triathlon. Could you give me an idea of what are the average times people run, swim, bike for a sprint? I know that its different for everyone and each course, but I am curious.
2009-05-07 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I did my first brick tonight!!!!! It was only a baby brick but I felt the feeling in my legs that people talk about. And I also got this great feeling that I could do this. It was kinda fun to feel that and overcome it mentally.

Fi
2009-05-07 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2137378

User image

Expert
zachkoe - 2009-05-07 6:04 PM I'm trying to figure out what would give me a respectable finish in my first triathlon. Could you give me an idea of what are the average times people run, swim, bike for a sprint? I know that its different for everyone and each course, but I am curious.

My friend ran her first sprint last season in 1:39:59. She's a bit older than me, but roughly the same size and fitness level. She's a better swimmer than me, but I'm a better runner. I'm hoping to be closer to 1:30, but I'm not sure if that's a bit of a stretch?
2009-05-07 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Jenna,
How's the bike? So now it's my turn to have bike envy!

Fi
2009-05-08 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2137378

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
zachkoe - 2009-05-07 3:04 PM I'm trying to figure out what would give me a respectable finish in my first triathlon. Could you give me an idea of what are the average times people run, swim, bike for a sprint? I know that its different for everyone and each course, but I am curious.

It really does depend on the course, the conditions, etc.

What I would do is go to the website for the one(s) you are considering. They should have some race results from the past few years available. Find your age group (AG), and take a look at the times. That will give you what pacing you need for a mid AG finish.

John

2009-05-08 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
I registered for the Belle River race (my very first tri!) today - yahoo! And I bought a race belt, sunglasses, and some other goodies today too. I'm so excited.
2009-05-10 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2139272

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

trysprintolympic - 2009-05-08 2:43 PM I registered for the Belle River race (my very first tri!) today - yahoo! And I bought a race belt, sunglasses, and some other goodies today too. I'm so excited.

WooHoo!  Shopping *and* race registration.  You're having fun now!

2009-05-11 6:30 AM

User image

Expert
Happy day-after-Mothers-Day everyone! I hope all the other moms had a great day and were treated like queens. I dragged my family around all day watching me play soccer and then OWS - it was fun.

But in my OWS, I had a hard time battling the waves and keeping my stroke together. Are you supposed to swim the same way you swim in a pool? I just couldn't keep my head down and I didn't feel like I was raising my elbows high enough or getting enough rotation in my shoulders. On the way back (we were swimming parallel to shore), the waves kept pushing me toward the beach and I had to keep swimming back out into deeper water. Just keep doing the same thing to get used to it or is there something I'm missing here?
2009-05-11 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
jenna - congrats on getting a OWS in. I grew up training in open water as our town didn't have a pool. So yes, pool swimming is very different to OPW be you need to be able to maintain your efficient stroke in the somewhat challenging and changing conditions.

A great drill to get your elbows higher is called "chicken wings". Grab under your underarm - with you thumbs on the front and your fingers under your arm. Now swim. Don't worry about your breathing style - you will just be throwing your head up and breathing any which way. But if you don't keep your elbows REALLY high then you will sink. Do this in the pool as a drill - you won't get very far at first. Eventually you will be able to chicken wing the length of the pool. Then after this drill do regular freestyle and you will be amazed at how high your elbows pop.

Did another brick this morning. 25 min ride and then a 20 min run. Freezing on the bike this morning though.
2009-05-11 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2142522

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-05-11 4:30 AM Happy day-after-Mothers-Day everyone! I hope all the other moms had a great day and were treated like queens. I dragged my family around all day watching me play soccer and then OWS - it was fun.

But in my OWS, I had a hard time battling the waves and keeping my stroke together. Are you supposed to swim the same way you swim in a pool? I just couldn't keep my head down and I didn't feel like I was raising my elbows high enough or getting enough rotation in my shoulders. On the way back (we were swimming parallel to shore), the waves kept pushing me toward the beach and I had to keep swimming back out into deeper water. Just keep doing the same thing to get used to it or is there something I'm missing here?

The chicken wing drill is a good one, as is the "zipper" drill. That's the one where you drag your thumb all along your leg/side as you recover, it also keeps your elbows high.

As far as the current, you have to do what sailing peeps call "quartering". Instead of swimming directly AT the buoy (Or other aiming point), you swim to a point either right or left of it (depending on current direction), so that the current pushes you at the buoy. You'll end up swimming an extra bit, but not as much as if you swim straight and then have to swim straight into the current to get back to the buoy.

Congrats on the OWS!

john

2009-05-11 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
My daughter gave me her first mother's day gift, the flu. i'm jealous of all of you getting to train. I'm going crazy being stuck on the couch.
2009-05-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2144316

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
zachkoe - 2009-05-11 5:45 PM My daughter gave me her first mother's day gift, the flu. i'm jealous of all of you getting to train. I'm going crazy being stuck on the couch.

Sorry to hear that you have the flu.  Hope you're feeling well and back training soon.
2009-05-12 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Learn the lesson from me - take your time and get better. I should of listened to my body but ignored the chest infection and ended up with bronchitis.

Dog update: We got a dog from the shelter yesterday. It's a bit soon for me but my son is very happy. He's a lab/collie/shepard/possibly boxer cross. But who really knows?

Had a good swim this morning. After the brick yesterday I opted for the shorter swim this morning.

Fi
2009-05-12 10:14 AM

User image

Fi, Good job getting a dog from a shelter!!!!!!!  I'm so happy when people rescue dogs!  How old is the dog?  Will he/she be a running partner soon?

2009-05-12 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Thanks Cam,
She's somewhere between 1 and 2 years old. She's recovering from being spayed this week but will join me on my runs next week. I can't wait. The shelter I got her from told me she came from another shelter before them that actually shoots the dogs rather than the more conventional method of putting them down. She's very affectionate and great with the kids.

Fi

2009-05-12 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
All right, all of you need to listen up, and listen up good.

NO MORE GETTING SICK!!

It's playing hell with your training!

Cool news on the pupster, when we got our kitten a few months ago we got her from a rescue group.

I'm a bit wiggy this week, I'm getting ready for Tempe Intl on Sunday. It's only a sprint, but I have some serious revenge (hopefully!) coming on this course from last year.

John
2009-05-12 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
A shelter that SHOOTS the dogs?!? That cannot be legal - especially with Ontario's animal cruelty laws. I would seriously look into that! Both our dog and cat came from the Humane Society.

My dog is a black lab who had some real abandonment issues as a puppy. It took years to teach him to walk nicely on a leash, but I stopped trying to run with him a long time ago. He would sprint and I could hardly keep up, and then he would stop on a dime to pee or sniff and my shoulder would come out its socket. But I took him running for the first time a few days ago and he was great! Stayed beside me the whole time and was so nice and happy. I think I will take him running with me again tonight!

My knee is really bothering me again. It's starting to travel down my leg now and I'm ready to see someone about it. Is it better to go to a doctor or a physiotherapist first?
2009-05-12 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
It depends on your health insurance. Check to see if you need a referral to the physio from a doctor for your physio to be covered.

The physio will do a proper assessment including range of motion and certain diagnostic tests to  pinpoint what is wrong. Some clinics have a doctor associated with the clinic - this is best as your general doctor will have no specific knowledge on injuries. But a physio is all that you need for a proper assessment.

In Ontario expect that the first visit will be around $70 and follow-up is around $45.

Question: I'm going to do a try-a-tri June 28th and was putting off the sprint till end aug/early sept. But am now thinking of adding in a end July Sprint and then doing the end Aug/Early Sept sprint as well. I guess I want to use the July one as a warm-up and not have all this training hinge on just one event.

What do you think? And is a month a good time to have between events? Will I still just taper down the week or 10 days before each events - and/or do I do both but choose which one to zone in on?
2009-05-12 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2146643

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
alexenafi - 2009-05-12 1:13 PM It depends on your health insurance. Check to see if you need a referral to the physio from a doctor for your physio to be covered.

The physio will do a proper assessment including range of motion and certain diagnostic tests to  pinpoint what is wrong. Some clinics have a doctor associated with the clinic - this is best as your general doctor will have no specific knowledge on injuries. But a physio is all that you need for a proper assessment.

In Ontario expect that the first visit will be around $70 and follow-up is around $45.

Question: I'm going to do a try-a-tri June 28th and was putting off the sprint till end aug/early sept. But am now thinking of adding in a end July Sprint and then doing the end Aug/Early Sept sprint as well. I guess I want to use the July one as a warm-up and not have all this training hinge on just one event.

What do you think? And is a month a good time to have between events? Will I still just taper down the week or 10 days before each events - and/or do I do both but choose which one to zone in on?

There shouldn't be a problem with adding the extra sprint. I wouldn't treat it like I would the later one, I'd treat it like an ambitious workout. Don't taper, just ease off the workout intensity for a few days before/after, don't kill yourself in the race. Things should be fine! Then do your normal taper for the later sprint and REALLY kill the course!

John
2009-05-12 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Random and mildly silly question...

I'll be doing my first race with a wetsuit on Saturday.  Where do you generally put your wetsuit in transition?  I'm trying to envision T1 and I'm thinking if I plop it on the ground it's going to be covering stuff I'll need for T2 and if I hang it on the rack it will be in the way of other racers.

Can you tell I'm starting to freak a bit about this race?  I've been obsessively checking the weather, too.  I hate pre-race jitters.

2009-05-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2147177

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
esc - 2009-05-12 6:23 PM

Random and mildly silly question...

I'll be doing my first race with a wetsuit on Saturday.  Where do you generally put your wetsuit in transition?  I'm trying to envision T1 and I'm thinking if I plop it on the ground it's going to be covering stuff I'll need for T2 and if I hang it on the rack it will be in the way of other racers.

Can you tell I'm starting to freak a bit about this race?  I've been obsessively checking the weather, too.  I hate pre-race jitters.

Heh. I have my first race this season on Sunday, I'm getting jittery too, and I've DONE this before! (It's a revenge tri, I did it last year way undertrained and it was horrible)

From what I've seen, most people flop it on the ground and then hang it over the rack where their bike was, and then dump it under their bike when they get back for T2.

Good luck this weekend!!

John
2009-05-13 10:21 AM

User image

Question about swimming... I feel like my swimming is not really improving.  I can swim 2 minutes / 100 yards, but after the 100 yards I'm so out of breathe I nearly die in the water.  And I try to swim more slowly, but that doesn't seem to help either.  What can I do to gain endurance in the swim?

2009-05-13 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
I would suggest looking into Total Immersion. It's not for everyone, but it helped me turn my swimming around 100%. I had the same endurance problem, and TI has made me feel like I could swim forever. Now I'm still not very fast, but at least I'm not worried about completing any of the distances.

TI clinics are very expensive, so I would just start with the books. I got one (I can't remember the title right now, sorry, but it was yellow and blue) from my library and fixed my swimming for free. And that was after paying for private lessons and after attempting (read: being humiliated at) a Masters swim group. I wish I had tried the book first!
2009-05-13 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2148145

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
CGunz - 2009-05-13 8:21 AM

Question about swimming... I feel like my swimming is not really improving.  I can swim 2 minutes / 100 yards, but after the 100 yards I'm so out of breathe I nearly die in the water.  And I try to swim more slowly, but that doesn't seem to help either.  What can I do to gain endurance in the swim?

Oddly enough, swimming is a sport where going slower can be counter productive.

One question, when your face is in the water, are you breathing out continuously? Or do you hold your breath for a stroke and then let it all out and gasp in? I'm betting the latter, whether you realize it or not. It's common among newer swimmers to do that.

John
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24