BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-05-15 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2153510

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
This is the third time I've heard about total immersion swimming this week!  It sounds great, but honestly I'm a bit afraid of it .  I love swimming and being in the water and think I'm pretty fast...so I'm afraid to mess with that!  That being said, Chi running seems to have a very similar philosophy (using your core with basic physics to achieve more speed/distance with less effort) and I think that helped my running out.  I would love to have a professional help me with both my running and my swim. If you still have an extra copy of immersion swimming, I would love to check it out   We have to grow, right?

2009-05-16 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
I read that the Masters Swim program focuses on drills, speed and racing.  I think Total Immersion swimming is specifically for trialthletes to swim endurance.  Is that correct?  I would really like to have a copy of the DVD Justin, thanks.
2009-05-18 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Grace, love the new avatar!

I joined Masters Swimming last winter.  Yes, the coach focuses on drills, but how do you get faster without them.  He took me from a 100 yard sprinter to an endurace swimmer in 6 weeks and has improved on the form every session since.   I'm sure the quality of coaches varies, but mine is absolutely the greatest. 

2009-05-18 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Maryland

Iceman, thanks for sharing your experiences with swimming.  It sounds like any organized swim group is a good thing then. 

2009-05-18 11:06 AM

User image

Master

I think the key is coaching / good instruction.  Swimming is like golf...it is a trechnique based activity.  Until you master the technique you will never realize your full potential.  Teaching yourself technique is very very difficult.  You need someone who is skilled to watch you as you train in order to highlight what you are doing wrong and then to suggest drills or actions to correct what you are doing wrong.  If you are serious about improving your swimming find a coach for a few sessions (at least) or join a good master's program, etc.  Just my two cents.

2009-05-18 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
How do masters swim groups merge with total immersions swimming?  I don't know much about the total immersion.

2009-05-18 11:38 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Hey guys ~ my home computer was on the blink this weekend and I didn't have time to mess with it...  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  It feels good to be back in the swing of training.

TI swimming is based on smooth effecient swimming.  I have not participated in a Master's program so I can not accurate atest to what they teach.  Like Mitch mentioned ~ having a trained person watch you is very important.  I have made improvements simply based on the TI video, and concentrating very hard during my swim sessions to do what I have watched.  It is not easy ~ the video is not very exciting ~ but it does work!  The techniques they teach.  I swim faster with fewer strokes ~ and that was proven yesterday on an OWS with the other 3 guys I am doing IM Florida with.  2 of the 3 are far more experienced, and the 3rd guy have all been faster than me in the water.  Well, yesterday ~ with much less effort ~ I was significantly faster than all of them.  It felt really good to see that kind of improvement.

To all who would like a copy, PM me an address to ship it to, and I will burn a copy and send it out.  There will be no charge (not postage, not dvd's)  I got that covered ~ I just wanna see full TL's and improvement on the swim as payment !
2009-05-18 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2158087

User image

Master
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-05-18 11:38 AM

To all who would like a copy, PM me an address to ship it to, and I will burn a copy and send it out.  There will be no charge (not postage, not dvd's)  I got that covered ~ I just wanna see full TL's and improvement on the swim as payment !

That's very generous of you! 
2009-05-18 3:16 PM

User image

Thanks Mitch ~ That's why we are all here, help each other improve.  Hopefully some TI techniques will help in doing that.  I will get these copies made as soon as possible.

2009-05-19 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just bought the book and I am about half way through reading it.  I tried the techniques from the beginning yesterday and it is not as easy as it looks.  I guess my balance must be pretty bad.  I will give it a little time, but I do have to try and get some swimming in as well and I hate not "putting in" the laps you know?
2009-05-19 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Tri, I just emailed my contact information.  Many thanks.

I'm swimming pretty well in the pool.  Looking forward to open water swims to get sighting down and to try the wet suit. 

Swam with Masters this morning.  Stroke, bilateral breathing and form are all coming along.  Also focusing on stretching more to avoid a repeat of the calf injury. 

Tonight is my first time trial with the gang.  They meet every Tuesday for a 12.5 mile gut buster.  I rode the course last night to look at it.  Hell of a SW wind which is perfect to catch you in the hills. :/  I maintained 90 percent through the course after riding 12 miles out there.  I think I'll haul the bike out there tonight to save what I can for the challenge.

2009-05-19 12:44 PM

Freeland
Hello everybody,

Took a swim yesterday and wow do I need to get back in he pool 2-3 times a week.  It felt great to swim again even if it was after working a 13 hour night shift.  Will run or bike tonight hopely.  How is everybody gearing up for the summer.  I think the nice weather is here to stay, yes.
2009-05-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2161026

User image

Veteran
This group is just so awesome and helpful. I'm hoping to be much more active in the coming weeks.  My body has been a bit sore and my schedule hectic.  One day at a time and with each successive goal I'm doing the best I can.  I'm so impressed with the TL's I've seen on here.  Just a general thanks to everyone.
2009-05-20 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Still waiting for official results from my first TT Tuesday night.  It appears good for being in a stiff wind, at least for me.  He put me fourth in line, I passed two and was passed by about 8 of the 30.  Several fast people told me they had to hump to get around me.  Good to hear.   I'll post the results.  Hoping for 18 mph or better. In that wind, which was 20 plus for half the course, I'd be pleased.

One thing I do know - the Power Tap measured me at 278 watts for the entire 12.44 mile course.  If that holds after my coach analyzes things, that would be a fantastic improvement from the 225 FTP I had when I started with him in February. 

And Grace, you are an inspiration yourself!

2009-05-21 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2164886

User image

Sounds like a great ride Scott!  Looking forward to your results.  The wind is tough, and to push 18 is very impressive (I was struggling to get 16 in the wind in Corpus - wind sucks!).  I don't have (can't justify the cost) a power tap, but I have heard great things about its applications.  I have read & been told that Power is much more consistent and accurate than MPH as a means of performance measure.

A PT is on my Tri gear wish list...   Of course tied for the top spot on that list is a winning lottery ticket, a sugar momma, or one heck of a sponsorship!  lol!   So many toys, so little pinche dinero!   

2009-05-21 10:40 AM

User image

Since we are on the topic (kinda)...   If money were not an issue, or it grew on trees, etc...  What are some of the Tri related items that top the wish list...

1. QRoo Cd.01 bike... fully outfitted with Zipp 1080 rear, 808 front
2. New Race wheels...^^^see above^^^ for current bike
3. Power Meter (Power Tap)
4. Full Dura-Ace component kit (for current bike)
5. Compu Trainer...(with the Kona or maybe IMCdA courses)

That's a pretty good start!  and for motivation here's a pic of numero uno!

(qrcd01stealth.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
qrcd01stealth.JPG (36KB - 8 downloads)

2009-05-21 11:12 AM

Freeland
Nice work Iceman, way to get after it. 

If I had the money I would hire a personal trainer and nutritionist.  Along with a new kick bike.  Come to think of it I would get same many little things. 

Gettting excited about a month left until my first tri of the season.  I do not know what to expect or anything, just want to have a good swim, bike and run.  I heard it is aomewhat hilly.  We will see.
2009-05-21 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2165910

User image

Veteran
Even though I just bought a new bike, I lust after the Quintana - Roo one Tri mentioned..but they have it in PINK!!  Also, a personal chef and trainer.  That would be lovely.  Also a personal shopper and hair stylist.  Oh - I guess that's not tri-related   I have been really fortunate in finding awesome deals (used bike store shoes...brand new, used bike ...love it) and also in that we got tax $ back this year. 
2009-05-21 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I averaged 19 mph at the TT Tuesday!  The coach raised my FTP to 265 watts.  That's up from 225 watts in February.  Still, I was 25th out of 31.  Fast damn group. It was way fun and I'll be back with my TT bike hopefully next time.  I was on my road bike because it had the Power Tap this time.

The Power Tap is a great tool. It allows the coach to set specific target outputs to push me to the max and beyond in a reasoned, scientific plan to stretch me.  My PT has been borrowed, although my wife just gave the green light to buy a wired one.  Cost is about $700-$800 with the wheel built the way I want - a 32 spoke 3-weave.  Should be bomb proof.  Also, I was convinced by someone who knows that I can just use a cradle on my road bike and one on the TT bike to move the wired one back and forth rather than buy the way more expensive wireless version which may have some reliability problems anyway.  

I don't share this around here, but the coach also is a freebie.  He is with Vision Quest, Robbie Ventura's group out of Chicago.  He would be too pricey for me.  We'd met once.  I've been writing about my weight loss/fitness stuff for four years and announced in my column I was going to train for a full triathlon.  He called me and said he was volunteering to help because "I'm an inspiration." I've been called many things before, but rarely that. 

The only deal I had to make was to try my best to follow his workouts.  I haven't missed one (exceptions were four runs that I would have taken but for the injured calf a couple of weeks ago.)  He says I'm the only person he is coaching who has done that.   He expected good results because I am positive, but I'm beyond his expectations.  That's nice to hear.  I just am doing what is in front of me to do.  Also, I can't imagine anyone paying the kind of bucks he is getting and not doing what he says. 

As for a wish list, I have a great bike a friend built up for me.  Spectacular Orbea Ordu frame and custom 36-spoke wheels.  Those cost so much I went with SRAM Rivals.  I was told they were as good as Force.  No way could I afford the Red.  The Rivals seem very good.  Still fine tuning the shifting but it's nearly flawless.   

I also got a QR full body wet suit on closeout recently.  $160 for a $400 suit.   

Frankly, I have everything in life I need.  A positive attitude, a great wife and partner, a job and a god who loves me.  The rest is all extra blessings.  

2009-05-21 2:19 PM

User image

Let me just reaffirm your coach's perspective... You are Scott, "An Inspiration"!  Your work ethic and your results speak volumes.  I can only hope that I wil be as fortunate as you as I approach your age. 

You ended on a great perspective as well... material things, such as the list I threw out there are nice... but we unfortunately we lose sight of the simple things like a positive attitude, faith, and other non-materialistic tools that shape who we are with or without those nice to have items!

Keep posting, keep inspiring, and keep livingstrong brother!  I am (as others are I am certain) soaking it up like a sponge!
2009-05-21 7:17 PM

Freeland
I read what you do Iceman and I am like holy S&^$, this guy is awesome.  I wish I could train as much and as hard as you.  Not to mention be so positive and consistent.  I do beleive I am getting more focused and starting to understans more with the help of everybody.  Keep up the good work and knowing how good you are doing is inspiring in so many ways.  Thank you.

2009-05-22 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I certainly appreciate your comments.  I'm humbled when people say nice things.  I know the source of it isn't me.  It's that positive god behind it all who gives me strength.  "Of myself I am nothing..."   

I'm not Christian.  I can't adhere to beliefs in the Apostle's Creed so the Christians don't want me though I think their leader had great things to say.  But, I do have a perspective of a force that binds all things together and makes us one.  I draw on that a lot.  When I don't, I'm as grouchy and pissy as the next guy.  I just pull out of it as soon as I recognize what's happening.  

The time I put in?  I rob some from sleep.  I go to work early to get out early so I can get a couple of hours in before my AA meeting, then home to spend time with Kathy.  When I'm with her, I focus on her so the time is as quality as possible. Without that, it would not work.  She is awesome.  Loves the role of my manager, support network, best friend, cheerleader. 

Also, a key for me has been to find other people who are doing what I'm doing and making friends.  These forums are great.  I love them.  So glad I found them.  But having real life people with more experience helping along the way, encouraging me, offering tips - man that is the deal.  Find clubs, triathlon, running, swimming, biking.  They are an incredible asset. 

I had a vicious workout on the bike last night.  2 windy hours at 2X 30 mins @ 85% FTP with 3X1 min @ 125%.  Those POPS were killers especially after 1800 yards in the pool yesterday morning.  Today is a rest day, TGIF!  Date night.  Movie and dinner.  Then another 2 hour power drill on Saturday and a 3 hour ride on the TT bike on Sunday. I'll probably try to do a group ride on Monday. 

Have a great day!  Insist on it! 

2009-05-22 9:41 AM

User image

Hey group ~ thanks for the addresses.  I am planning on knocking out the copies tomorrow and plan to ship them out Monday.  Hopefully y'all can get something from the instruction that will help you in the water.

Phil, Dewey & Al if y'all decide later that you want a copy of the TI swimming - just drop me a PM with an address and I'll send ya one.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!  Please take a moment on Monday to remember "why" we celebrate this day!  It's because of their sacrificies that we are able to enjoy the things we do!      *cheers*    to all my brothers & sisters who are serving the greatest nation on earth!   Semper Fidelis!
2009-05-22 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Justin,
Thanks for sending the dvd for the group!  I can use help with technique.  Very cool of you.  Happy Memorial Day to you and all our service men and women, both past and present.
2009-05-24 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2167932

User image

Extreme Veteran
appreciate the offer, but I went and bought the book!!!  It is not easy to learn...old dog new tricks ya know!!

I heard about something and thought I would see if anyone had heard of it.  I guess in May they do a 1/2 ironman at Disney.  Well it just  so happens that I am going to Disney for 2 weeks next year with the family and guess what is being run in the middle of my vacation?  Ran it by the wife and she said if I was crazy enough to want to try it then I should go for it.  I had planned on busting my butt so I could do a 1/2 by next August but do you guys think May is out of the question?  I figure if I break it down into 1/4 goals then I should be ready.  The only bad thing is here in Illinois you can forget about riding outside in the winter......I'd break something lol.

Also if anyone else is interested I just thought it sounded like a great way to achieve my goal.

Thoughts?  I can take honesty........

Dewey
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28