BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-05-11 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2143271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
mtntord - 2009-05-11 9:51 AM Met BabsVA at the race this weekend. She did awesome BTW and even gave me some great cheers as she passed me on the run. I was way out of it at the time and could say nothing back. Had a lot of fun and my entire family loved the tri community.  Heart rate was way to high, but I did slow it down when I remembered on the bike and running. I really need to spend some more time working out. This semester was hard, but I should be able to find some more time this summer.

I raced in the Novice (first timers) catagory and came in 8th in that division. Below are my ranks out of the 342 men.  750m/18mi/5k

PlaceBib
SAgeNAME

RankSWIMRankT1RankBIKERankT2RankRUNTIME

M29MATTHEW

12900:12:333800:01:4922000:59:109000:01:0922400:27:16
1:41:56

So now that I have raced I just want to do better of course. I have another Sprint in August and an Oly in September.

Gordo, what would you suggest the most effective addition to my training schedule? Currently I have been getting in 4-5, 30-40 minute workouts in a week. Should I make sure that 1 is an hour or longer bike or bike/run or should I try and double up some of the days so I do 2 30 minute workouts on a couple of the days? Both, something else, or just add volume anyway possible? I have been focusing on getting out as often as possible in whatever sport makes that possible rather then using a training plan as my schedule has not allowed for too much consistency.

Finally a gear question.
My bike is an old steel touring/road bike. It seems awfully fast to me after a mountain bike. I have clipless pedals and shoes, regular helmet, touring tires and wheels. I'm not really the type to just buy something to feel faster, but from what I have been reading aerobars with a proper fitting would be the last reasonable accessory that would make a difference before I start looking into another bike and wheels that cost more then my car Laughing which just isn't going to happen. My average speed on this course was 18.25 MPH between the 10-15 MPH uphills and some 30 MPH downhills in the mix.  I know I need to train more as well. I'm just not sure at what point they will make a difference vs. just make me feel cooler?

Thanks for all your help. I would not have done as well without this group. (Not that its over yet I hope.)

Well done with the race.

With the week structure, could you write out (just simple) what you are doing Monday to Sunday.

With the bike -- clip on aerobars would make sense right now.  Aside from that, nothing further required at this stage.  Keep the aerobars nice and simple - no need for anything other than a simple aluminum product.  Happy to review what you are thinking about prior to purchase.

Cheers,

2009-05-11 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2140442

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Nice job. First place is pretty awesome.
2009-05-11 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2143271

Expert

mtntord ...but from what I have been reading aerobars with a proper fitting would be the last reasonable accessory that would make a difference...

Can I jump into this discussion too: I'm in that same place as Matthew, have a steel road bike and am considering aerobars. I've been hesitating as we have hills hills hills here and I wonder if they would really be useful? Plus, the idea of being a little farther from the brakes makes me uncomfortable. Need to try them first.

OK there's this from a major cycling chainstore, for about $50

Forté T2 Aerobar

2009-05-11 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2144298

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-05-11 2:37 PM

Can I jump into this discussion too

Me too, me too!

Most of my rides do not have long continuous sections.  I am mostly taking lots of corners with short climbs, short descents, speeding up and slowing down.  It seems like I would be up and down on the aero bars a lot, would it be worthwhile?

Edited by cjhild 2009-05-11 5:05 PM
2009-05-12 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2144298

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BabsVa - 2009-05-11 3:37 PM

mtntord ...but from what I have been reading aerobars with a proper fitting would be the last reasonable accessory that would make a difference...

Can I jump into this discussion too: I'm in that same place as Matthew, have a steel road bike and am considering aerobars. I've been hesitating as we have hills hills hills here and I wonder if they would really be useful? Plus, the idea of being a little farther from the brakes makes me uncomfortable. Need to try them first.

OK there's this from a major cycling chainstore, for about $50

Forté T2 Aerobar

I've used something similar myself -- worked great.

2009-05-12 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2144357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-05-11 4:05 PM
BabsVa - 2009-05-11 2:37 PM

Can I jump into this discussion too

Me too, me too!

Most of my rides do not have long continuous sections.  I am mostly taking lots of corners with short climbs, short descents, speeding up and slowing down.  It seems like I would be up and down on the aero bars a lot, would it be worthwhile?

In a race, yes.  They will give you a nice advantage whenever your speed is up.  With practice, you'll be able to do moderate climbs and turns with them.

Remember to set the pads wide-apart when starting.  That makes them a lot more stable.

2009-05-12 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2085029

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
mtntord - 2009-04-14 10:34 PM Heart rate question. I use a basic Timex HRM to help me pace mostly my running. It has taken me a while to not burn out in the first couple miles by going to fast. I started with the 220-age and at 28 my max is 192. However, for my runs I average about 173-180 bpm or 90-93% of my theoretical max. As I kept up just over a 9 minute mile for about 6 miles today I don't think I am overdoing it. As I understand if I ran at 93% of my actual max for an hour I should be hurting pretty bad by the end. Is there another way to check my max heart rate so I can establish some accurate zones? Matthew

About a month later I just ran for 42 minutes at a 10.5 minute mile with an average heart rate of 154 and maxing at 175. I never thought I would improve. I just felt like I would be slow for ever and that running would always hurt. I actually enjoyed my run tonight. What, me like running?

Matthew
2009-05-13 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
Gordo,

I can now swim 100 with B/L Breathing comfortably...  Blowing my air out slowly and focusing on gliding forward really helped.  I stay alot more relaxed in the water now!  now if i could just got farther with the same effort...

Boom
2009-05-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2147954

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Boom808 - 2009-05-13 8:22 AM Gordo,

I can now swim 100 with B/L Breathing comfortably...  Blowing my air out slowly and focusing on gliding forward really helped.  I stay alot more relaxed in the water now!  now if i could just got farther with the same effort...

Boom

There's no need to go farther, yet.  Now you start to link up 50s or 100s on short rest -- 20x50, realxed on 15s rest... things like that.  Once you get yourself to 10x100 on, say, 5s rest then you are pretty much swimming 1000 straight.

2009-05-13 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

G- I went for a run today at lunch, it is presently 99 degrees and will only be getting hotter.  What are some things I should keep in mind when running in the heat?  Should I avoid it?

2009-05-13 4:50 PM

Expert

G-dude

Question: go farther or go faster

I've toyed with the idea of doing a HIM but the training time commitment is a problem, especially as I am kinda slow. It would be a long day out on the course. Guess I would rather try my best rather than cover the distance, ya know? So perhaps I could concentrate on the shorter distances and get faster? An Olympic at the end of the season sounds do-able. This last race in my AG I was 7th out of the water, 4th on the bike and 3rd on the run. Of course these placings totally depend upon who shows up and there are some tough girls in my AG! I can see making improvements in each of those and especially transitions (like, maybe I could practice them, duh, just never got around to that) I would think training would include more frequent high-intensity sessions with a long weekend bike lasting the anticipated duration of the targeted race?

Appreciate it!

2009-05-13 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2147198

Expert

mtntord - 2009-05-12 9:37 PM
mtntord - 2009-04-14 10:34 PM Heart rate question. I use a basic Timex HRM to help me pace mostly my running. It has taken me a while to not burn out in the first couple miles by going to fast. I started with the 220-age and at 28 my max is 192. However, for my runs I average about 173-180 bpm or 90-93% of my theoretical max. As I kept up just over a 9 minute mile for about 6 miles today I don't think I am overdoing it. As I understand if I ran at 93% of my actual max for an hour I should be hurting pretty bad by the end. Is there another way to check my max heart rate so I can establish some accurate zones? Matthew

About a month later I just ran for 42 minutes at a 10.5 minute mile with an average heart rate of 154 and maxing at 175. I never thought I would improve. I just felt like I would be slow for ever and that running would always hurt. I actually enjoyed my run tonight. What, me like running?

Matthew

Matthew - I was thinking about your RR and your high HR. Wo! How is your recovery going? Just curious - have you ever checked your resting heart rate?

2009-05-13 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2148976

Expert

cjhild - 2009-05-13 4:08 PM

G- I went for a run today at lunch, it is presently 99 degrees and will only be getting hotter.  What are some things I should keep in mind when running in the heat?  Should I avoid it?

... ugggh 99 degrees....

2009-05-13 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2149235

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-05-13 2:56 PM

... ugggh 99 degrees....

Don't get me started, the heat is a drag.  All relative though I guess, we all have various weather impediments to work with.

How are you feeling after your race?  Any soreness?
2009-05-13 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2149331

Expert

cjhild -How are you feeling after your race?  Any soreness?

Sore yesterday but feel good today. I rode 40 miles today - more than I had planned for but that's the way it worked out. How 'bout you? Your big race is in what 5 - 6 weeks? Psyched?!

2009-05-13 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2149232

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
BabsVa - 2009-05-13 5:55 PM

Matthew - I was thinking about your RR and your high HR. Wo! How is your recovery going? Just curious - have you ever checked your resting heart rate?

I have never checked my resting heart rate and am not sure how exactly what or how. I will consult my reference materials tonight.
Recovery went well. Didn't do anything except eat a lot on Sunday (great home cooked dinner at my parents-in-law) and ate pretty normal on Monday, although I was a little stiff getting out of bed Monday morning. Was ready to go for a run last night and felt no ill from it.

2009-05-13 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2149235

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
BabsVa - 2009-05-13 5:56 PM

... ugggh 99 degrees....

I started training around September and then through the winter. I haven't done too much in the heat of summer. Not sure how well I'll do. Just planning do drink lots of water and get a hat. Sunscreen also a plus. I got a cool burn line on my legs on Sunday. Covered the rest and forgot the legs. Would have missed it all without BabsVA being prepared.
2009-05-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2148976

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-05-13 2:08 PM

Few ideas for you to bear in mind...

Hydration -- easy to get a low level of chronic dehydration through the warmer months -- in Hong Kong, I need to make sure that water was available everywhere in my life -- beside bed, every meal, in car, beside desk... everywhere I went

Stress -- increased HR is a sign of increased stress -- it is tempting to adjust zones upward to get 'normal' (perhaps more accurately, 'desired') training paces/powers -- this is often a mistake -- if you accept lower pace/power then, for your endurance work, you will gradually adapt. For your higher intensity work, you will need to train indoors with air conditioning and/or accept a lower work rate.

Racing -- there is the pace that you can sustain in a temperate climate and there is the pace that you can sustain under heat stress. Living in Florida, you'll learn the difference. Many athletes that live outside of extreme heat forget this when they face heat stress -- result is underperformance. We must train/race at the effort appropriate for the conditions we face.

Electrolyte Panel -- certain athletes can lose significant amounts of key electrolytes -- if performance drops significantly then ask your doc to check your electrolyte levels to ensure that the heat has not depleted you.

Recovery -- if you live in extreme heat then phasing your year to have an unloading period in the hottest months can make a lot of sense. You may also find that you have a key advantage when racing temperate athletes in early season races that are prone to heat.

Fluids -- I have found that the body's ability to process fluids is highly trainable -- this is a key adaptation that needs to be achieved to have success with long term training in the heat.

Training Camps -- similar to altitude-based athletes going to sea level for training camps... it can make sense to travel to cooler climates for training camps.

As well, you will need to adjust your effort downwards, and avoid spikes, when training in extreme conditions. 

2009-05-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2149223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BabsVa - 2009-05-13 3:50 PM

G-dude

Question: go farther or go faster
I've toyed with the idea of doing a HIM but the training time commitment is a problem, especially as I am kinda slow. It would be a long day out on the course. Guess I would rather try my best rather than cover the distance, ya know? So perhaps I could concentrate on the shorter distances and get faster? An Olympic at the end of the season sounds do-able. This last race in my AG I was 7th out of the water, 4th on the bike and 3rd on the run. Of course these placings totally depend upon who shows up and there are some tough girls in my AG! I can see making improvements in each of those and especially transitions (like, maybe I could practice them, duh, just never got around to that) I would think training would include more frequent high-intensity sessions with a long weekend bike lasting the anticipated duration of the targeted race?
Appreciate it!

First here is how I look at endurance...

First build the endurance so total training duration is similar to the length of time the athlete will be competing.  For slower long course athletes, this won’t be practical, so you will need to aim for spreading the training across an entire day.  

Next build the endurance so that total training output approaches what will be required on race day.  Biomechanical and recovery considerations mean that the bulk of this output will need to be done on the bike – powermeters enable you to track total work (kilojoules).  Educate yourself on the likely work required for your athlete’s entire race.

Once the capacity for total work is well established, then you can focus on work rate.  A premature focus on optimizing work rate (most often functional threshold and VO2max) most often misses the true limiters facing our clients – being basic endurance.

When working with an athlete that is new to endurance training, you will need to apply the principles above to a longer timeframe.  Start with building the capacity within a fortnight, then a week, then a long weekend, then a 24-hour period and, finally, a day.

++ 

Internet discussion nearly always focused on "work rate" training.  However, 99% of amateur athletes need to improve the first two endurance components in priority to work-rate training.

++

So the shorter distances, for you, are about building endurance to get faster -- if you think about your average work rate across a sprint distance then you will find that it is a moderate intensity.  So doing much high intensity work isn't very specific.  You will have a lot to gain from focusing on the first two aspects of endurance (above).

Increasing workout frequency is a safe way to build training volume.

You can also include shorter periods (within your steady training) where you lift effort by, say, 10 bpm for 3-5 minutes then recover in your steady zone.  So you are using a little bit of mod-hard within your plan.  Note that many athletes are already training in their mod-hard zone thinking that it is steady -- I spend a lot of time helping people understand how "steady" feels.

High intensity isn't the secret to going fast - most athletes already have more fast work in their plan then they need.  They simply don't have the experience (yet) to see the unplanned intensity within their plan.  As we learn, we start to see the pace/power peaks that we were inserting without knowing it.

The "secret" to impovement is consistent training, adequate recovery and quality nutrition.  Find a structure that works for you and repeat it.  Focus on getting rid of items that get in the way of repeating a sound plan.

2009-05-14 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2150343

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

GordoByrn - 2009-05-14 7:21 AM

Living in Florida

Thanks for the input G.  This is good stuff.

Just an FYI- I am in Cali, I train during the week in Palm Springs (very hot during the day) and in Yucca on the weekends.  So I was just thinking I should use the heat in PS to help deal with race day heat.

Q- I did this today using the DB 1400 and 10 sec RI:

55m2000.00 yards-----

2x25,2x50
2x25,2x75
4x25,2x100
4x25,2x125
4x25,2x150
3x100

Am I doing this right?  Took me 55 min, is that too long, should I be going harder to get it in a bit faster?  What are the things below the +++?

These:

+++
10x125 as 50 Easy (long strokes), 25 Fast, 50 Steady on 15s rest
+++
Cool Down

2009-05-14 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
G

I have two questions today.

How do you instruct your athletes to handle the addition of casual group rides into their overall training plan?  Many of my friends or even my husband like to do 15-20m conversational rides and I hate to turn them down when they ask me to go.  Can I simply add them on top of what I am already doing?

Can you give me some insight into wetsuits? Last year, I bought the entry level nineteen because it was the only XS in Madison.  In a year, my back and shoulders are wider (what's up with that?) and it is TIGHT in those areas.  I have the chance to get Blue Seventy suits at a discount through my tri club.  Is there an advantage to some of the stuff they add to the upper pricepoint suits--more flexible material around the shoulder, greater buoyancy below the knee and a zipper that moves down vs up?  At 4'10', 100lbs I need to buy before I try because no one stocks XS in the city. 

Thanks
Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-05-14 2:59 PM

2009-05-14 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2150763

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
I love that PS pool!  Did a couple of HUGE weeks there a few years back.

++

+++
10x125 as 50 Easy (long strokes), 25 Fast, 50 Steady on 15s rest
+++
Cool Down

++

That's bonus volume, which you don't need right now.  I write the workouts out so that athletes of all speeds can follow the same session.

10x125 means ten repeats of 125 yards with 15 seconds rest after each one
Each one is done as 50 easy with long strokes, 25 fast, 50 Steady

g

2009-05-14 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2150888

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-05-14 11:34 AM G

I have two questions today.

How do you instruct your athletes to handle the addition of casual group rides into their overall training plan?  Many of my friends or even my husband like to do 15-20m conversational rides and I hate to turn them down when they ask me to go.  Can I simply add them on top of what I am already doing?

Can you give me some insight into wetsuits? Last year, I bought the entry level nineteen because it was the only XS in Madison.  In a year, my back and shoulders are wider (what's up with that?) and it is TIGHT in those areas.  I have the chance to get Blue Seventy suits at a discount through my tri club.  Is there an advantage to some of the stuff they add to the upper pricepoint suits--more flexible material around the shoulder, greater buoyancy below the knee and a zipper that moves down vs up?  At 4'10', 100lbs I need to buy before I try because no one stocks XS in the city. 

Thanks
Suzy

Extra easy training -- if it is fun (and doesn't mess up tomorrow's training) then go for it.  If it starts to lead to excessive fatigue then use sparingly.  The issue with group training tends to be the bonus/unexpected intensity once you get more than three people together.  Still, if you are the fittest person in the group then you can control things.

Yes, the high end suits are better -- whether they are x$ better depends on your net worth and the price you put on being super comfortable.  The top end suits are excellent.  Given that you are a smaller lady, you should also demo a sleeveless  model as this will reduce fatigue around your shoulders.  You could find that a lot more comfortable -- however.. you give up ALOT of warmth without the sleeves.

Also, make sure that you crank the torso/sleeves well up when you put the suit on.  The blueseventy website (posted the link before I believe) has instructions on how to wear a suit.

2009-05-14 4:34 PM

Expert

Ok race peeps post your raceday pix! Here are mine just in:

I like the wetsuit wrangling one myself :-)

And DOH! forgot to zip the jersey - that probably cost me several watts right there

2009-05-14 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2149409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-05-13 5:06 PM

cjhild -How are you feeling after your race?  Any soreness?

Sore yesterday but feel good today. I rode 40 miles today - more than I had planned for but that's the way it worked out. How 'bout you? Your big race is in what 5 - 6 weeks? Psyched?!

Wow, big day there close to the race.  You are hard core.  It was wierd for me because I was sore in different places the day after and the day after that.  All good now though, let's get it on!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27