BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-20 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2623506

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...

Not much time to reply today, but wanted to give you guys this for some reading:

http://www.sportscoachingbrain.com/can-you-achieve-the-same-or-better-performance-results-with-reduced-training-volume-more-with-less-part-two/

About sports in general and the way things are done.

2010-01-21 3:14 AM
in reply to: #2623506

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-20 8:29 AM
Please don't censure yourselves in terms of volume - I am always happy to see traffic on this thread (and my training log ;-) )...I agree with a previous poster (was it Warren or Bob? I can't remember) - could we open it up to another couple of people?

We have a snow day today (we must have 12 inches of new snow in the last 24 hours) - so minimal chances to work out for me today. I'm thinking of taking it as a rest day with a little stretching and foam roller and some snow shoveling. I've got two more weeks of Jorge's Winter Cycling plan to go and then I'm thinking of starting over from the beginning (after a brief rest period) since it's not going to be safe to ride outside for another few months. Now I just need to find something good to watch while torturing myself. Any suggestions?

How many people were you thinking? I am open to the suggestion.

TV Sereies I find are best to watch. Lost was great, 24, Entourage, I am currently watching the Unit. I have watched quite a few entire series.

2010-01-21 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

NH
That's a great link Aaron.  With such limited time and having to train in three sports, triathlon should be ripe for more efficient training methods.  Since we can't just keep adding time (even if my body could handle it - who can possibly find time to run 100 mpw or cycle 1000 kpw?), we are forced to be more efficient.  Even though I'm doing this for fun and really never expect to be on a podium, I want to maximize my results for the time I spend training.

Now to figure out how to maximize every workout.

I wouldn't mind adding one or two more people to the group.
2010-01-21 2:28 PM

User image

NH
I just bought a Garmin 205 on craigslist.  Finance committee couldn't approve a 305 yet, so I went on craigslist just to check and found a crazy cheap 205 locally, so at least I'll get pace and distance.

Tonight will be my first run with it, so I'm psyched.  It's just a pace run, but I'm curious to see how it goes.
2010-01-21 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2627065

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2010-01-21 3:28 AM I just bought a Garmin 205 on craigslist.  Finance committee couldn't approve a 305 yet, so I went on craigslist just to check and found a crazy cheap 205 locally, so at least I'll get pace and distance.

Tonight will be my first run with it, so I'm psyched.  It's just a pace run, but I'm curious to see how it goes.

Great news...hope you enjoy it!

Rene and I were having a side conversation about rest days and I thought it might be good to open it up to the group - how many rest days a week do you take (if any)? What about the concept of "active" rest days? I know that Jorge advocates for "active" rest days, not necessarily scheduled specific rest days, but I have also heard that rest is vital for allowing your body time to recover before your next session. Because we are cross training - is it only vital to have rest time for a specific sport (run 4-5 days with 2-3 days run rest), but not an entire day where no training occurs?
2010-01-21 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2627617

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-21 6:59 PM

Great news...hope you enjoy it!

Rene and I were having a side conversation about rest days and I thought it might be good to open it up to the group - how many rest days a week do you take (if any)? What about the concept of "active" rest days? I know that Jorge advocates for "active" rest days, not necessarily scheduled specific rest days, but I have also heard that rest is vital for allowing your body time to recover before your next session. Because we are cross training - is it only vital to have rest time for a specific sport (run 4-5 days with 2-3 days run rest), but not an entire day where no training occurs?

I think rest days are highly individual.  Sometimes a full rest day rejuvenates me, but I think life usually gives me enough days off.  Some people I know train every day - the best triathlete I personally know runs every day, 365 days a year, and has for years.  He's quite a bit younger, so I don't know how much age plays into this.

I do believe that key hard workouts should not be back to back days if at all possible.  Personally, I have found that doing something fairly light the day after my long run day is better for my body than doing nothing.

It's during rest and recovery that the actual adaptations take place.  I would bet quality sleep is probably more important than whether you take full days off or not.

2010-01-22 9:24 AM

User image

Elite

I would agree that they are individual. Their goal is to allow you to come back faster / stronger. Most training plans build for 3 weeks, then give you an easy week. Then build again. Most of the time this is overkill 2-3 easy days when you get fatigued are typically plenty. As long as I am not missing a key workout I take them as needed. Normally life just does not allow training one day.

Now for when to take them? If planning do them the day before your long run. The day after it is typically better to keep moving. Day before is the best day. Or two days before a race. The day before then you just get out very short and get things moving.

2010-01-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2627617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-21 5:59 PM

Rest days are variable  for me.  I like to take them after a long run, bike, or brick.  Whether or not they are active are not depends on how in shape I am.  When I am in shape active rest is pretty good, but if not in shape, I like a complete rest day.   I think life gives me plenty of rest days anyways.  If I know something is coming up that will keep me busy all day, I try to plan a good distance workout the day before.  Also, complete rest days, and "easy" weeks helps me more with my mental health.  After about 3-4 hard weeks of building, mentally, I need a break.
2010-01-22 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Rest days for me tend to happen when they happen and are usually based on soreness.  I always try to take one day off every weekend and have that be a "no-tri-stuff" day and just focus on the family.  And since I'm a mid- to back-of-packer, I don't get too worked up over it.  And I'm not sure I know exactly what "active recovery" is.  In the summer, when I'm into my 20 week HIM program, Saturday is either the long run or long bike - and that can be 3+ hours, plus a nap afterwards.  Sunday, I will then reserve for the kids and we'll just swim in our pool... would that be considered active recovery?

On a side note... I GOT A SWIM IN TODAY!  It was my first time in the pool in probably 2 months and I did a nice, easy 1,250m.  I put 30 min in my log, but it was probably closer to 25 min.  I was just testing the waters (ha ha) to see how much my stroke had deteriorated.  It actually wasn't so bad.  I'm going to slowly start adding some swim workouts in over the next few weeks.

And one last thing... I'm fine with adding a few more members to our group if everyone else is on board.  It does seem like there's been a few that have dropped off.  I was in a mentor group last year and the mentor disappeared.  I'd like to keep this going indefinitely because I find it very helpful and motivating. 

Have a great weekend team!
2010-01-22 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Thanks for the articles...interesting reads. The things triathletes do wrong struck me as a bit of a fence sitter with the couple of too-much/not-enough items on their list...couldn't that have just been one entry "Triathlete's don't strike the right <activity> balance". Hah, just getting grumpy and impatient in my old age. I'd rather see top 5 things written concisely than top 20 verbose and redundant and repetitive and redundant ...er...nevermind.

Here's my short article of the day:
http://www.menshealth.com/run/101-greatest-training-tips-of-all-time.php?cm_mmc=DailyDoseNL-_-2010_01_22-_-HTML-_-1

;-)
2010-01-22 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Aaron, I was thinking of two or three to supplement the lost ones...just for fun.

On rest days...I don't really plan them. I sort of wait for life to dictate. However, if I get lucky and can get in workouts consistently until I start really dragging, then I plug one in. I can usually tell because I start getting light headed getting up or going up the stairs or something that shouldn't tire me out. So sort of winging it here as usual ;-)

2010-01-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2629661

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I have scheduled a rest day for me on Mondays, after my long workouts. I know some say prior, but I like the rest after to let the legs recover. But, I do a lot of walking during the day, so it is semi-active. But, when I know my schedule will not allow me to workout at somepoint during the week, I usually substitute the workout on Monday and take the rest day later in the week. This usually means I have to rotate workouts so that I get everything in.

this week was somewhat challenging to get in all workouts. Monday I was traveling, the same with Wednesday and in meetings all day. So Tuesday I swam and biked, Thursday I got in my run (which so many of you gave inspires for doing! thank you!!!). I planned on getting up this morning for a bike session and a swim session in the PM - but, it didn't happen. flying takes a toll on me, so I slept in

But, this weekend will be my long run and bike, giving me my 2 sessions of each sport during the week. So - after a long winded answer - if I can at least get two of each sport in, I'm satisfied on my weekly activity when traveling.

Next week will also be challenging, as I am flying to New Jersey for a few days. So, we'll see what I can get done.
2010-01-23 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Aaron, I just noticed in your race listings that you have the Abu Dhabi International Triathlon.  I'm just curious how you came upon that race, why you decided to race it, etc.  Seems like an exotic location for a triathlon... very cool.
2010-01-23 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2630317

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-01-23 10:56 AM Aaron, I just noticed in your race listings that you have the Abu Dhabi International Triathlon.  I'm just curious how you came upon that race, why you decided to race it, etc.  Seems like an exotic location for a triathlon... very cool.

If I strike it rich in the next month then yes. I have a friend who's family owns a jewelry company and they go over once a year to do business.

I will respond to everything else tomorrow. Busy days for me the last few.

2010-01-24 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2630014

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2010-01-22 10:01 PM

But, this weekend will be my long run and bike, giving me my 2 sessions of each sport during the week. So - after a long winded answer - if I can at least get two of each sport in, I'm satisfied on my weekly activity when traveling.

Next week will also be challenging, as I am flying to New Jersey for a few days. So, we'll see what I can get done.

As long as you are happy that is what matters. The long stuff is what matters most. Enjoy NJ, what are you going to be doing down there?

2010-01-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2629661

User image

Elite

bfoyle - 2010-01-22 5:06 PM Aaron, I was thinking of two or three to supplement the lost ones...just for fun.

Monday morning I will open it back up. More traffic that way.

2010-01-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2631402

User image

Extreme Veteran
aarondavidson - 2010-01-24 7:51 AM

Enjoy NJ, what are you going to be doing down there?

I have a meeting, which is only one day, but traveling from Albuquerque limits my flights. So, two days travel, one day meeting

2010-01-24 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2631492

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
barelfly - 2010-01-24 11:20 AM
aarondavidson - 2010-01-24 7:51 AM

Enjoy NJ, what are you going to be doing down there?

I have a meeting, which is only one day, but traveling from Albuquerque limits my flights. So, two days travel, one day meeting

What part of NJ?  I've been living in PA for 5 years, but spent the previous 15 in NJ (southern NJ).
2010-01-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2631544

User image

Extreme Veteran
billsorg - 2010-01-24 9:57 AM

What part of NJ?  I've been living in PA for 5 years, but spent the previous 15 in NJ (southern NJ).

Bridgewater area...corporate headquarters
2010-01-25 8:15 AM

User image

NH
Some of the best advice I've gotten was from my PT who got me into this thing.  She always said no matter how bad you feel, just go out and get started.  Give it ten minutes or so - if it doesn't go away you can always stop and call it a day, but often whatever cramp or ailment you had loosens up or wasn't as bad as you thought.

Heading into Saturday's run I was feeling a pretty nasty cramp in my calf from helping a friend move int he morning.  I wasn't even sure if I should head out for the long run.  But I just suited up and headed out and it totally loosened up and didn't bother me at all and hasn't since.

Jeremy, how do you find time to keep your training up and eating down with the traveling?  Good job on that.
2010-01-25 9:30 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Back open looking for 2more athletes...

So we are open. I posted for 2 more athletes. First come first serve. Going swimming now.

2010-01-25 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2632766

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-01-25 9:15 AM Some of the best advice I've gotten was from my PT who got me into this thing.  She always said no matter how bad you feel, just go out and get started.  Give it ten minutes or so - if it doesn't go away you can always stop and call it a day, but often whatever cramp or ailment you had loosens up or wasn't as bad as you thought.

Heading into Saturday's run I was feeling a pretty nasty cramp in my calf from helping a friend move int he morning.  I wasn't even sure if I should head out for the long run.  But I just suited up and headed out and it totally loosened up and didn't bother me at all and hasn't since.

Really is great advice.

2010-01-25 5:11 PM

User image

Elite

Seems like a slow day today.

2010-01-25 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2632766

User image

Extreme Veteran
wbayek - Jeremy, how do you find time to keep your training up and eating down with the traveling?  Good job on that.

When I travel, I stay pretty true to my nutrition. I don't stuff my face, which would be very easy to do given the breaks we have during our meetings and the snacks that are provided. But, I always go with chicken, veggies and salad. it gets boring at times, but I do splurge on the weekends a bit! and that keeps me going.

but during my days where I travel in the car - I'm a firm believer in a Subway 6" Chicken breast sandwich on wheat bread. I also bring fruit for me to eat inbetween breakfast and lunch. so, I'm never starved, which keeps me from eating to big of a meal. And being in sales, I'm in the car every day, so I eat Subway twice a week, Teriyaki Chicken bowl a couple times a month and a local pizza shop for a great salad at least once a week.

My last trick, which seems to do well for dinner, is to drink my glass of chocolate milk after my workout. so, I'm already filling up, which also helps. And desert - I go with my standard yogurt with fruit or a smoothie, since my kids love these so much!

but for workouts - I just fit it in. My schedule when home is flexible, so I can usually get a workout done in the later afternoon. But, sometimes I have to just get up early and hit my "dungeon" for a treadmill or trainer workout.

My travel has just been a bit more these last two months, as this is when we have our year kickoff meetings, december is always product training...but I just took on a new position, so my travel could increase some, but that I'll have to wait and see about.

all stuff I know you guys do as well I would imagine.
2010-01-25 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
alright guys - question?

I have a nagging ache in my upper back - near the lat, but below and on the outer side of my back, and it feels deeper than the muscle area. I'm good until about 12pm and it starts to tighten up. But if I'm moving around, I'm great. I sleep well and don't feel anything when I wake up. While working out, I feel good too. It's just when I sit to long.

I bought a foam roller to try something new, as stretching doesn't seem to do much. Any exercises you've tried that could help with this ache? Or any tips overall that might help?

I'd love to get over this! I know it's an issue when I'm on the floor during my meeting and the higher ups walk in and ask why am I doing yoga!

Edited by barelfly 2010-01-25 9:05 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76