BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-11 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2556071

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)
Warning:  Silly noob question approaching....

Do you wear your bike/jogging shorts under your wetsuit?  and what about your tri-top?  That too?

2010-01-11 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Warning:  Silly noob question #2 approaching....

Why is it an apparent 'cardinal sin' to use a Walkman/CD Player/Ipod during the bike/run?
2010-01-11 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2608114

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-11 12:42 PM Warning:  Silly noob question approaching....

Do you wear your bike/jogging shorts under your wetsuit?  and what about your tri-top?  That too?

Try to wear tri shorts and top or a trisuit, they have different fabrics that allow for fast drying after you remove your wetsuit, you will wear them under your wetsuit. Also trishorts have a thin chamois bike pad, its thin so it wont soak up much water. Typically your cloths will dry out fairly fast once you get on the bike and the wind hits you.
2010-01-11 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2608147

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-11 12:53 PM Warning:  Silly noob question #2 approaching....

Why is it an apparent 'cardinal sin' to use a Walkman/CD Player/Ipod during the bike/run?

Several reasons, communication is important on the bike when you are passing someone as well as the ability to communicate with a course marshall. Most importantly you must have the ability to yield to traffic or emergency vehicles, you will see plenty of ambulances at races.
2010-01-11 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2608308

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
nevergivin - 2010-01-11 4:44 PM

Several reasons, communication is important on the bike when you are passing someone as well as the ability to communicate with a course marshall. Most importantly you must have the ability to yield to traffic or emergency vehicles, you will see plenty of ambulances at races.

wow....that's encouraging..... Undecided
2010-01-11 3:54 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
kidding

2010-01-11 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2608333

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-11 1:54 PM kidding

I know, I never know what they are for, I think race directors lean more twards calling ambulances to be on the safe side, liability insurance for these events is not an easy task. I know its not encouraging, its a reality though. Check this out!

2010-01-11 7:12 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I need to order a new seat.  Anyone know how to measure my "sit bones" my self so I order one with the correct width?
2010-01-11 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2608617

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2010-01-11 4:38 PM
Panther - 2010-01-11 1:54 PM kidding

I know, I never know what they are for, I think race directors lean more twards calling ambulances to be on the safe side, liability insurance for these events is not an easy task. I know its not encouraging, its a reality though. Check this out!

Crazy!  I had tree fall on my car a couple years back while camping in Idaho, it was lucky cos we were just in the tent about 20 ft away.
2010-01-12 12:06 AM
in reply to: #2607309

User image

Expert
nevergivin - 2010-01-11 7:47 AM

Cycling Technique and drills.

Technique-pedaling efficiently is a science, you want to extend the area that you are pushing the pedals as opposed to dead spots or pulling, try to focus on smooth pedaling and dipping your heel slightly at 10 o’clock position, this will allow for pushing at 11-1 o’clock positions, just a slight dip is all it takes.  As your pedaling you want to be steady in the seat and not bouncing, I have pedaled up to 135rpm without bouncing, I know others that can go much higher. Keep your knees as close to the frame as possible, letting your knees go out takes away power.

I experimented with this a bit today.  I think I get it, dipping the heel a bit just before the top of the circle, right?  It felt weird, I think I'm a bit of a toe down rider right now.  When I tried dipping my heel (which physically felt more like lifting my toes) it made it a bit harder to spin smoothly, my cadence dropped a bit.  I imagine I probably over exaggerated the movement a bit.  I only did it for a few miles, mostly when climbing, and will play with it some more next time.  So far, I don't feel anymore sore in the ankle than normal, which I was a little worried about at the time just due to the added movement.  I'll see tomorrow morning I guess!

2010-01-12 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2609000

User image

Modesto, California
norcal_SAHD - 2010-01-11 10:06 PM
nevergivin - 2010-01-11 7:47 AM

Cycling Technique and drills.

Technique-pedaling efficiently is a science, you want to extend the area that you are pushing the pedals as opposed to dead spots or pulling, try to focus on smooth pedaling and dipping your heel slightly at 10 o’clock position, this will allow for pushing at 11-1 o’clock positions, just a slight dip is all it takes.  As your pedaling you want to be steady in the seat and not bouncing, I have pedaled up to 135rpm without bouncing, I know others that can go much higher. Keep your knees as close to the frame as possible, letting your knees go out takes away power.

I experimented with this a bit today.  I think I get it, dipping the heel a bit just before the top of the circle, right?  It felt weird, I think I'm a bit of a toe down rider right now.  When I tried dipping my heel (which physically felt more like lifting my toes) it made it a bit harder to spin smoothly, my cadence dropped a bit.  I imagine I probably over exaggerated the movement a bit.  I only did it for a few miles, mostly when climbing, and will play with it some more next time.  So far, I don't feel anymore sore in the ankle than normal, which I was a little worried about at the time just due to the added movement.  I'll see tomorrow morning I guess!

The Idea is to go from skimming the pedal to pushing the pedal in that range to get more power in your pedal stroke, it should only be a small adjustment, most important is you want to keep it smooth and effortless,you may feel a difference in your calf muscle. When I started doing it , it did take a while, I did it only when I concentrated and slowly added it into my normal routine. You did get it by the way, awesome! Toe up or down can have allot to do with cleats also, for my tri shoes Ill move my cleats back as far as they can go(its a Friel Thing)  for economy, and for road bike racing I have another pair of shoes where I have cleats moved up engaging my calfs more for added power.

2010-01-12 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2608659

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2010-01-11 5:12 PM I need to order a new seat.  Anyone know how to measure my "sit bones" my self so I order one with the correct width?

Honestly I have never done this, maybe try live text to Bike Nashbar or Performance Bike, or call them for help, Im sure they have had this come up before and can explain it.
2010-01-12 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
What's the skinny on bike computers?  What do they do, who uses them, is there an article or 2 about them, etc.?
2010-01-12 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2608114

User image

kelowna
Panther - 2010-01-11 12:42 PM Warning:  Silly noob question approaching....

What if you are not weaing a wetsuit?  Trisuit? I would hate to take the time to change. where I am going to be swimming, wet suits are not allowed to warm. 
2010-01-12 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2608308

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2010-01-11 1:44 PM

Makes sense... so do you train with or without tunes? 

I use the tunes in the gym, but I am thinking you would want to get used to not having that. I know that music helps me go faster, if not longer. I would want to know I can get the same speed with out.. thoughts?
2010-01-12 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2610293

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-12 4:57 PM
nevergivin - 2010-01-11 1:44 PM

Makes sense... so do you train with or without tunes? 

I use the tunes in the gym, but I am thinking you would want to get used to not having that. I know that music helps me go faster, if not longer. I would want to know I can get the same speed with out.. thoughts?

I know for me, I love listening to podcasts.  Basically, talk radio on demand.  It seems to keep my brain occupied instead of obsessing on the mundane or focusing on every little hurt during a run or bike.  That is a concern for me.  But hey, it is what it is....  when I get to that level, I will then try to train without it, but for now, it's the brain candy that I need.  I'm even considering picking up the waterproof earbuds for swimming......

2010-01-12 6:49 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Adjustment:

I've decided to opt out of the Belwood Triathlon this June.  I'm thinking that the Woodstock Triathlon would be more appropriate. http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/events/showEvent.cfm?showEventID=97<... />
The reason is that the Belwood was 1000/30/7 which to me is not really a sprint.  It's more of an advanced sprint or something in between a sprint and an Olympic.  The Woodstock is 600/20/4 which to me is more reasonable for my first tri.

I'm not copping out, I just want to make sure I can at least finish my first try (tri).

Is this OK or should I stick with the Belwood?

I know this sounds a bit childish, but you guys are my support group.  I'm surrounded by sabotagers in real life that laugh at this endeavour and I really value your opinion here.  I'm alone over here, which makes this 10x harder than I thought it would be.
2010-01-12 7:03 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
I guess while I'm at it, I may as well just spill my guts....

My brother who is 5 years older than me has just come home from having a second stent put into his heart after having his first heart attack last year at 48 years old.  My mother was a cancer magnet who also was a health fanatic that finally succumed to a malignant brain tumour 2.5 years ago at 71.  She successfully battled 2 boughts of breast cancer and one skin cancer before it took her.  That's where I got my knowledge of nutrition from....

I'm not going down without a fight.  I swear.  This is my deal and I don't give a rat's a$$ who is laughing at me.  Well, actually, I do....and it's disheartening, but I've got to hang in there, because early death is in my genes.  I have to do this for me.

So there......

Back to your regular programming...
2010-01-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2610582

User image

Master
St. Louis
I would go for a true sprint for my first one.  That is my plan.  Belwood looks like it is closer to an Oly than a sprint.

Panther - 2010-01-12 6:49 PM Adjustment:

I've decided to opt out of the Belwood Triathlon this June.  I'm thinking that the Woodstock Triathlon would be more appropriate. http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/events/showEvent.cfm?showEventID=97<... />
The reason is that the Belwood was 1000/30/7 which to me is not really a sprint.  It's more of an advanced sprint or something in between a sprint and an Olympic.  The Woodstock is 600/20/4 which to me is more reasonable for my first tri.

I'm not copping out, I just want to make sure I can at least finish my first try (tri).

I know this sounds a bit childish, but you guys are my support group.  I'm surrounded by sabotagers in real life that laugh at this endeavour and I really value your opinion here.  I'm alone over here, which makes this 10x harder than I thought it would be.
2010-01-12 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2610617

User image

Master
St. Louis

Good for you.  If anyone is laughing at you, chances are they aren't doing it.  The way I look at it is, I may never be in the top half of any race I do, but 99% of the people out there don't do races.  So, I'm between 99.0% and 99.5% of the people out there.  Not too shabby.

Of course I haven't done one yet, but I will this year.

Panther - 2010-01-12 7:03 PM I guess while I'm at it, I may as well just spill my guts....

My brother who is 5 years older than me has just come home from having a second stent put into his heart after having his first heart attack last year at 48 years old.  My mother was a cancer magnet who also was a health fanatic that finally succumed to a malignant brain tumour 2.5 years ago at 71.  She successfully battled 2 boughts of breast cancer and one skin cancer before it took her.  That's where I got my knowledge of nutrition from....

I'm not going down without a fight.  I swear.  This is my deal and I don't give a rat's a$$ who is laughing at me.  Well, actually, I do....and it's disheartening, but I've got to hang in there, because early death is in my genes.  I have to do this for me.

So there......

Edited by ransick 2010-01-12 7:17 PM
2010-01-12 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2610639

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
ransick - 2010-01-12 8:16 PM

Good for you.  If anyone is laughing at you, chances are they aren't doing it.  The way I look at it is, I may never be in the top half of any race I do, but 99% of the people out there don't do races.  So, I'm between 99.0% and 99.5% of the people out there.  Not too shabby.

I like that....thanks!

2010-01-12 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2610103

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-12 12:31 PM What's the skinny on bike computers?  What do they do, who uses them, is there an article or 2 about them, etc.?

I use mine for speed data(avg,max speed),cadence,time on bike,distance.

Article
2010-01-12 9:12 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-12 4:49 PM Adjustment:

You are still a triathlete! Short races are just as hard as longer races, you really can make them as hard as you want, its all about pacing. Use whatever gear makes you happy, when I do a sprint its full speed!
2010-01-12 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
Panther - 2010-01-12 4:49 PM Adjustment:

FWIW, my first (and so far only!) tri was 400yd/8mi/2mi, and that was plenty of a challenge for me!  I'm glad I did a short distance 'Super Sprint' to start, cause it was fun, and I was comfortable and confident going in.  It was a fantastic experience.  This year I'm going to tackle longer tri's, but I sure don't regret a shorter one to start out! 

There were certainly people who mocked the distances, those who pee'd on the effort cause it was 'so easy', but to pull my favorite quote from Dr. Seuss, "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
2010-01-12 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2610617

User image

kelowna
Panther - 2010-01-12 5:03 PM I guess while I'm at it, I may as well just spill my guts....

So there......

Awesome determination and commitment to your goal!  You can definitely succeed!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21