BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2010-01-07 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2599712

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Group - FULL!!
carrie639 - 2010-01-07 7:32 AM Swimming with a pull buoy is a NO, NO long term only because you are not using your legs and you should develop your full body.  I did it all summer long and for my races, but I had and was able to wear a wetsuit (very buoyant) for my races.  There may be races where you cannot wear a wetsuit because that water is too warm and if you don't at least have a little kick to keep your legs up, they will sink and you will be dragging yourself through the water.  Also, once you develop your swim muscles (just like I am trying to develop run muscless) kicking will help you and you should be able to go faster.

It is also a NO, NO because you can injure yourself if you don't take it too slow.  You will find when you use one that swimming will feel so much more effortless and you will want to push yourself and maybe injure or make your shoulders very sore.  I have a very strong upper body and got away with it over the summer, but not without my shoulder aches and pains.

Go for it and try it, just do it slow.  Focus on your breathing and getting comfortable and working on your arm stroke.  You should go slow anyhow working on technique to make sure you are doing it right.  Better to go slow and get technique down pat rather than going faster. 

Swimming at first is very intimidating.  My masters team has 35-45 people in 8 lanes on any given night.  I was totally intimidated the first night but everyone was really nice and great about me being slow and new and learning things.  Don't worry about the others in the pool, it will get easier swimming with them.  If there is a faster swimmer in your lane they will either pass you, of if you know they are on your heels, just wait at the turn around and let them pass.

Go for it and let me know how it goes.

Carrie is absolutely right.  When used as a tool to improve catch/pull/roll technique it can be effective.  When I use one it's never for more than 2-300 yards and only so I can work on those aforementioned areas without having to worry about my kick as well.

2010-01-07 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2600777

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Leegoocrap - 2010-01-07 1:25 PM
randomguymike - 2010-01-07 2:12 PM
Leegoocrap - 2010-01-07 12:56 PM

Fifteen strokes isn't all that few if you are really Reaching to full extension every stroke... for 25m anyways... One just has to SLOW DOWN.

Wow. I feel like I'm going so deliberately already. I'm sure my lessons should clear this up. I've been at about 25-28, and was told I look overall OK in the pool by random friend who swam with me one day.  Can't imagine going the same speed (and hopefully about 40% faster), but taking half the strokes. Is this a combination of many things typically, or is there one drill that addresses this?

Mine came from swimming TI (total Immersion) style. Before that I had a pretty high stroke count.

Keep it mind having a higher stroke count is kind of like taking longer strides running... at some point your stride does have to lengthen for you to move faster (as opposed to us all running the same mph at 180 rpm)
When I have a low stroke count, I am much more in a TI style swim... which is NOT how somebody like Michael Phelps swims. His arms are constantly moving, not "spearing" through the water. TI is more of a mindset of "I need to swim... a long time... then do something else" as opposed to "I need to swim 50-400m... FAST." Most people run the 40 different than they do a marathon.

That's most people's biggest complaint with TI... at some point you cannot go any faster without adding strokes back in / moving back to a more traditional style of swimming.

That's why TI is great for beginning swimmers.  It teaches them a nice long efficient stroke.

For most people looking for speed its an optimization of stroke length and stroke rate.  I can only up my stroke rate so much before I feel my stroke becoming "short" and inefficient.  Then it's all a matter of figuring out if the extra strokes gaining you more speed outweighs the loss in efficiency.

Who knew swimming was so dang complicated  
2010-01-07 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2601781

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
1stTimeTri - 2010-01-07 8:15 PM

disturbed275 - 2010-01-07 8:12 PM
Jacklcm - 2010-01-07 5:18 AM I think power meter would be helpful but that 800-1000 is way too much. Check out the Garmin enable device I found surfing. I've haven't been able to verify how it works, but it sounds interesting. I assume they're using software to estimate power based on speed and elevation change and the next more expensive one has wind speed measurement too (that would seem to be required anything close to accurate power on a windy day). See what you think. Here is their claim: Whether you're training for a race or a personal fitness goal, the iSport can get you there. Fast. The iSport delivers iBike's state-of-the-art performance in a $199 power meter, offering: w Full power meter functions w Advanced cycling computer functions w Built-in Fitness Test w Exclusive on-screen workouts without the need for a computer. No special wheels, hubs, cranks or chains.Just mount and go! Youtube has a cool review : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBsaT170lI&feature=related

I remember looking at that a while backing and finding quite a few negative reviews.  I can't remember any details exactly so take that with a grain of salt

Neal, the quotes got all effed up, so I think this is how it was supposed to be.

Thanks for the assist Phil!
2010-01-07 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2599431

carrie639 - 2010-01-06 10:52 PM

Had a moment tonight during my masters swim which I think can help you all that are trying to learn to swim and figuring out the breathing.

This is a total NO, NO Laughing, but for the sake of figuring out breathing try using a pull buoy.  If you don't know what a pull buoy is, most pools do have it and it basically looks like a foam dog bone.  Put it between your legs and trying swimming with this. 

What the pull buoy will do is take your legs out of the equation (it keeps your legs afloat) and allow you to focus on your arm stroke/technique so you can get the rotation in the water to get your head out.  Additionally, if you are learning how to swim kicking will take a ton out of you ( because of having to develop swim endurance) and it will allow you to get in some distance while working on your arms and breathing.

Don't do this forever, cuz pull buoys are a crutch if used 100% (but will also help you develop arm strength when you are ready).

PLEASE IF YOU DO THIS TAKE IT SLOW, because by using pull buoys you are pulling yourself through the water 100% using your arms and although you may not feel like you are overdoing it, you can injure your shoulders.

Take is slow and learn the breathing then toss the buoy.  Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Tried the pull buoy today, but I did not like it, I felt that it provides to much floating aid so my balance got all messed up. When I returned it I realized they had some smaller ones, so I will try that the next time.

Bu I am still improving, today I almost did a full length with bilateral breathing, I will get it next time. Swallowing air is still a problem, I feel very bloated afterwards, I have to try to breathe really carefully next time.
2010-01-07 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2556283

User image

Run this morning and signed up for a half marathon in March just to make me get it in gear a little and also need to work on my run. Just from my view the TI video worked wonders for me.
2010-01-07 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2601841

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Yeh maybe try a smaller buoy, but remember anything new you try will feel weird at first.  It does provide alot of float (but so do wetsuits) and forces your head to look down more cuz your legs are higher and not dropping.  It is tough to work on anything if you don't have endurance, hence trying to take your legs out of the equation and give you a chance at getting some laps in.

As for swallowing air, maybe trying just working on breathing on 1 side for right now to get that down.  Most people are stronger on one side.

Good luck and keep it up . . it sounds like you are making improvement!

2010-01-08 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2601854

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2010-01-07 8:45 PM Run this morning and signed up for a half marathon in March just to make me get it in gear a little and also need to work on my run. Just from my view the TI video worked wonders for me.

Cool!  There's nothing like getting a race on the schedule to help motivate
2010-01-08 9:30 PM

User image

Went to swim and they were showing a movie in the pool, so I jumped on the stationary bike and did hills, then jumped in the pool and did 1500 straight first time in awhile for a longer swim. reverse brick I suppose, did not plan to bike so I guess the movie helped? Felt good on the swim but very slow.
2010-01-09 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Kip,
Did almost the same workout myself but I spin class in the am and later in the day I swam 1500 strait or something like that ( sometimes I just don't count the laps.  Last night I got into counting strokes per lap for 30 minutes after the warmup.  That was an interesting swim.

Sometime when I swim after running I get foot cramps swimming, but cycle doesn't seem to bother me.

Flip turning is still kick my arse.  Its like my gold game some turns are good, some ok, but some are really bad and I get pissed off.

Edited by Jacklcm 2010-01-09 8:17 AM
2010-01-09 10:38 AM

I am heading to the gym for the same workout, 40 min bike and then swim. But I will not do anywhere near your distance. My goal today is to manage to do two lengths with bilateral breathing without stopping and also starting the first lesson from the TI dvd I got in the mail yesterday.

Edited by ncSwede 2010-01-09 4:48 PM
2010-01-09 4:47 PM

The swim is going better and better. Had planned to do 30 minutes in the pool and then bike. Ended up more than 1h in the pool because I felt I was learning a lot. Tried to do the exercises from the first couple of lessons from the TI DVD and I felt they helped a lot. Starting to feel that this might actually be possible. When I can go 100m+ I will sign up for my first race so I have a goal.

2010-01-09 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
FTP test this morning. At the end it reminded me of when I used to do Crossfit hardcore... I just felt... strange. Anyways, my numbers certainly won't be breaking any records, but at least it's a baseline.

20minutes

Avg. Cadence: 93
Avg. Watts: 182
Max. Watts: 432
Avg. Heart Rate: 173

FTP: (Avg. Watts x .05) = 173

Now it's all about getting stronger
2010-01-10 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2605390

Leegoocrap - 2010-01-09 8:49 PM FTP test this morning. At the end it reminded me of when I used to do Crossfit hardcore... I just felt... strange. Anyways, my numbers certainly won't be breaking any records, but at least it's a baseline.

20minutes

Are you goig to use this number to determin at what level to train as a percentage of FTP? I assume this % will be different based on what distance you are training for. Or are you using this test to baseline where you are and then do it again in a few months to see if you have improved?

I like both of these ideas and I think that I will eventually get a power tap, as an engineer I like to get some numbers that I can analyze. But I e told myself I have to atleast train for one season first.
2010-01-10 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
OK. So, what is FTP? I was glad to see the heart rate you posted. My average on my last ride was 172 for the first 5 miles. So, looks like I'm not as far off as I thought.

Another bike question:
Do you ride in both drop and the hoods (I think those are the terms). I never even realized people rode on the drops till seeing a couple of posts in biking forums pointing out proper body position. I tried it breifly on my last ride, but the gut felt like it was in the way. So, I just went back to normal position. Is this something I should save for after I suck less at riding, or should I learn to ride on them now? Also, is that a good intermediate step to riding aero, or should I go aero without worrying about riding on the drops first?

Edited by randomguymike 2010-01-10 12:38 PM
2010-01-10 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2605876

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
ncSwede - 2010-01-10 11:36 AM
Leegoocrap - 2010-01-09 8:49 PM FTP test this morning. At the end it reminded me of when I used to do Crossfit hardcore... I just felt... strange. Anyways, my numbers certainly won't be breaking any records, but at least it's a baseline.

20minutes

Are you goig to use this number to determin at what level to train as a percentage of FTP? I assume this % will be different based on what distance you are training for. Or are you using this test to baseline where you are and then do it again in a few months to see if you have improved?

I like both of these ideas and I think that I will eventually get a power tap, as an engineer I like to get some numbers that I can analyze. But I e told myself I have to atleast train for one season first.

The FTP helps determine training zones and as a baseline for another test later down the road to measure progress...so both.
A PT is a great investment if you use it properly... however if you aren't willing to read up on how to use it properly, do the tests, input the data in the software, etc... then a HR monitor would be sufficient for 1/10th the cost.  It's just a tool, but it can get quite a bit more exact then training in HR's can.
2010-01-10 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2606003

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
randomguymike - 2010-01-10 1:35 PM OK. So, what is FTP? I was glad to see the heart rate you posted. My average on my last ride was 172 for the first 5 miles. So, looks like I'm not as far off as I thought.

Another bike question:
Do you ride in both drop and the hoods (I think those are the terms). I never even realized people rode on the drops till seeing a couple of posts in biking forums pointing out proper body position. I tried it breifly on my last ride, but the gut felt like it was in the way. So, I just went back to normal position. Is this something I should save for after I suck less at riding, or should I learn to ride on them now? Also, is that a good intermediate step to riding aero, or should I go aero without worrying about riding on the drops first?

FTP = Functional Threshold Power

I ride (on my road bike of course) about 80% of the time on the drops. I'm only on the hoods when it gets technical or I'm coasting / resting. Being on the drops should feel pretty similar to being in aero on a tri bike. Riding on the drops will get you in a *similar* position, but it won't prepare you for riding in the aero position... nothing will except riding aero. It's pretty scary for a while to ride aero, but it gets better pretty quick.

I jumped into riding aero almost immediately when I started tri training (being off a bike since I was 14-15 years old) but, I'm not the smartest guy out there when it comes to taking chances. However, when I wrecked and broke my collarbone, it was on the hoods of my road bike going about 7-8mph.... so who knows.

2010-01-10 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
While we are talking bike training...  I'm still riding my Trek mountain bike (I've been looking at and researching road bikes and am probably going to make a purchase in the next couple of weeks).   Anyway, my mountain bike has some pretty knobby tires which I know are creating a lot of resistance on the road. Still, I was supposed to do about a hour long aerobic ride today.  That should have been HRZ 2 right?  Granted there was a nice headwind going, but about 20 mins of the ride was in Zone 3 and 20 was in Zone 4!  And I only averaged 11.5 mph (although my max was 15.6 mph).  I guess I'm having a hard time knowing if I'm making progress on the bike with such low speeds.  The effort seemed fairly easy most of the time.  Seems like if I wanted to stay primarily in Zone 2, I would have had to ride somewhere under 10mph, and then what's the point?

I'd love to get a Power Tap someday as it would provide an objective measurement of effort, but right now, the heart rate monitor is going to have to do.  If I had a road bike that would offer less resistance, would I be seeing faster speeds at less effort?  I hate sucking this bad at something...
2010-01-10 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2605206

User image

Veteran
Sounds like your on track. the best way to make a goal is to stretch to it. Look for a tri with an short indoor swim. I did 300 m on my first one.
2010-01-10 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2606518

User image

Veteran
There is tons for speed waiting for you when you start riding your road bike. 120 psi skinny wheels and lower body position you will feel like your flying. 15 mph will be fairly easy with any new rig. Getting a decent bike computer will meet all your needs initially. Make sure you get cadence and speed and heart rate. I'm using a Garmin 310xt which can be mounted on your bike and wrist. I got the cadence speed sensor and heart rate sensor too. You can get a bike computer with these sensors for alot less, but I really like gadgets. The cool part of the Garmin is you can check out your ride in detail later on the pc including hills heart rate cadence ect... Also you can log your workouts directly from your Garmin at BT (see my logs for details) You can add power later.If you get a road bike and make sure you get a good fit. There alot out there on the net on bike fit, but check with your local tri club people or ask in the forum in BT for your area. The people that sold my bike locally had some basic fit stuff, but I looked around to find something better. There were places charging over $200 and some half that. I found a guy who did mine for $65 and it made a huge difference. I bought a road bike and added aero bars. My setup considered some of my past knee problems and the flexibility in my back for getting comfortable for being in aero.

Edited by Jacklcm 2010-01-10 8:12 PM
2010-01-11 4:17 AM
in reply to: #2605390

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Queston your ride:  Is this basically a time trail to see where you are at?  What rules did you follow?  Did you set a specific time?  Were you supposed to ride as hard as you could?  Or were you supposed to ride in a specific zone?  at a specific HR?  Why 20 minutes?

I see your results, just trying to understand what your control parameters were.

I usually just ride a a specific course I have ridden in the past (I have a computrainer) just to see if any progress has been made. 

How often do you do time trials?  Would you do an easy week leading up to it?

Thanks

Carrie
2010-01-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2606607

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
That's encouraging.  Thanks!

Actually, I already have a Garmin 305 that I bought for running.  I got the quick release set up for the bike and bought the cadence thingie as well.  I'm all over gadgets myself; nothing more satisfying than coming back from a workout and sitting down at the computer to analyze and pick apart what happened when.  Of course, the down side to that is when you have a crappy workout, there it is, memorialized forever Cry

I've gone to two different bike shops in town so far--one more tri oriented.  All staffed by kids, although I will say they seem to know their stuff.  Still, the bike fitting approaches seem pretty primitive (how tall are you?).  I found another shop that specializes in custom built bikes, but they also do VO2max testing and computerized bike fits.  The bike fit runs $85.  I'm beginning to think that's probably a wise investment.

2010-01-11 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2606874

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
carrie639 - 2010-01-11 5:17 AM Queston your ride:  Is this basically a time trail to see where you are at?  What rules did you follow?  Did you set a specific time?  Were you supposed to ride as hard as you could?  Or were you supposed to ride in a specific zone?  at a specific HR?  Why 20 minutes?

I see your results, just trying to understand what your control parameters were.

I usually just ride a a specific course I have ridden in the past (I have a computrainer) just to see if any progress has been made. 

How often do you do time trials?  Would you do an easy week leading up to it?

Thanks

Carrie

I used the test straight out of "Training and Racing with a Power Meter."
basically, 20minutes warming up, 5 minutes 100% (to pre-exhaust the legs) 10 minutes cooldown... then, 20 minutes TT effort (the actual test), followed by 10-15 minutes cooldown.

A Real TT effort would be an hour long... but at that long (especially on a trainer) it's hard to keep the mental aspect in control. you take the 5% off of the avg. Watts to represent the power that would drop off doing the effort 3x as long. It's not exact, but it's good enough for training purposes.

I took the week off before it (not for that reason exactly, but it helped) but I'd say a few days easy work before and after would be a good idea. I'd do it about 4-6 times a year to re-assess progress/zones.
2010-01-11 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2607203

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Bike fits are very important . . . before I did my bike fit in August I would have massive back pain and problems with continuous numbness in my hands while riding.

Adjustment to my shoes and position solved my back pain (totally gone) and a new narrower handle bar and adjustment to the stem fixed the numbness in my hands.  I don't use gloves anymore and have no issues.

Additionally, you want to make sure you have a good fit because you can screw up your knees, back etc if you are really putting in the miles, and dialing up the watts, etc.

Good luck

P.S. I piad $75 for the fit, so you are in the ball park
2010-01-11 6:54 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
To echo what a lot of everyone has said already.  Get that bike fit if you can.  It will help tremendously with general aches and pains that can be a result of putting a lot of miles in in a bad position.

I had  a fit on my tri bike ($100 when first bought) and have had no issues going up to a century.  I'm so comfortable on that thing it's amazing.

In contrast, I also have a road bike that I ride sparingly, usually in the winter to spring and fall to winter transitions when the tri bike goes on the trainer.  I've fiddled with the fit on that myself, but have never had it professionally done.  I couldn't justify spending money on a fit on a bike that I only ride a handful of times a year.  I seem to experience a lot more aches in the knees and such on that thing.
2010-01-11 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2606518

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
michwea - 2010-01-10 7:19 PM While we are talking bike training...  I'm still riding my Trek mountain bike (I've been looking at and researching road bikes and am probably going to make a purchase in the next couple of weeks).   Anyway, my mountain bike has some pretty knobby tires which I know are creating a lot of resistance on the road. Still, I was supposed to do about a hour long aerobic ride today.  That should have been HRZ 2 right?  Granted there was a nice headwind going, but about 20 mins of the ride was in Zone 3 and 20 was in Zone 4!  And I only averaged 11.5 mph (although my max was 15.6 mph).  I guess I'm having a hard time knowing if I'm making progress on the bike with such low speeds.  The effort seemed fairly easy most of the time.  Seems like if I wanted to stay primarily in Zone 2, I would have had to ride somewhere under 10mph, and then what's the point?

I'd love to get a Power Tap someday as it would provide an objective measurement of effort, but right now, the heart rate monitor is going to have to do.  If I had a road bike that would offer less resistance, would I be seeing faster speeds at less effort?  I hate sucking this bad at something...

I'm trying to think back to when I first started training and was using a hybrid.  When I converted to a roadie I think I saw gains of 3-4 mph.  I think I gained another 1-2 when I bought my tri bike.  Granted these are rough approximations and some of the gains can be attributed to increased fitness/training, but that should give you an idea that some speed gains will be seen with the upgrade.

Riding outside it can be difficult to recreate similar conditions, if not impossible.  Try to pick days with similar wind conditions and ride the same route if you want to gauge improvement.  That wind can be a speed (and not to mention morale) killer.  I've had rides where my speed has nearly doubled when riding with a tailwind versus against a headwind.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 26