BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-14 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2611118

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED

tripletmom01 - 2010-01-13 6:57 AM

So are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?? 

Yes.

Agreeing and just adding my input.

2010-01-14 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2609337

User image

New user

1stTimeTri - 2010-01-12 10:07 AM

f18guy - 2010-01-11 4:52 PM
tripletmom01 - 2009-12-30 3:13 PM

The zones....

Zone 2 is where you want to be working most of the time... this is where you build endurance and could run forever... its easy but it is gonna build a ton of endurance- promise (I have doubted this too- but it works)

Recommended for distance/endurance sports.  This is what my coach had me doing.  EVERYBODY will get frustrated thinking they have to run fast all the time.  Not so true.  It takes time to develop this base training to allow the body to become more EFFICIENT and burn FAT for fuel.

The reason for me posting my previous was trying to get someone to help me calculate my zones.
There was a previous post by TripleteMom saying something to the effect of "do a 5k-10k as hard as you can. Take your average HR over the course, and that will be your LT. From the LT number one can calculate your zones."

I am well aware that running hard and fast for every workout is not a smart method of training nor does it yield the results we are trying to attain for the goals we are pursuing.

Cheers

2010-01-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2614584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
f18guy - 2010-01-14 5:09 PM

1stTimeTri - 2010-01-12 10:07 AM

f18guy - 2010-01-11 4:52 PM
tripletmom01 - 2009-12-30 3:13 PM

The zones....

Zone 2 is where you want to be working most of the time... this is where you build endurance and could run forever... its easy but it is gonna build a ton of endurance- promise (I have doubted this too- but it works)

Recommended for distance/endurance sports.  This is what my coach had me doing.  EVERYBODY will get frustrated thinking they have to run fast all the time.  Not so true.  It takes time to develop this base training to allow the body to become more EFFICIENT and burn FAT for fuel.

The reason for me posting my previous was trying to get someone to help me calculate my zones.
There was a previous post by TripleteMom saying something to the effect of "do a 5k-10k as hard as you can. Take your average HR over the course, and that will be your LT. From the LT number one can calculate your zones."

I am well aware that running hard and fast for every workout is not a smart method of training nor does it yield the results we are trying to attain for the goals we are pursuing.

Cheers

Go to D3's website, they have an excel spreadsheet tool.

http://www.d3multisport.com/blog/index.php/calculating-heart-rate-z...
2010-01-14 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2557055

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
So swimming is becoming more enjoyable.  I'm only swimming 50m at a time but my breaks in between are getting shorter.  I start my official training program Monday.  I'll be using the "Couch to 5k" plan mainly because the swimming portion seams like it's at my level.  I will be adding more volume to the runs and bike rides though since I'm already strong in those sports. 

Is everyone seeing improvement?
2010-01-14 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2614695

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
sstucker - 2010-01-14 6:06 PM
  • .....reason for me posting my previous was trying to get someone to help me calculate my zones.

Cheers

• Go to D3's website, they have an excel spreadsheet tool.

http://www.d3multisport.com/blog/index.php/calculating-heart-rate-z...

Just in case you don't have Excel: (I copied and pasted from the tool)

Factor: Zone 1
    0.660 Low 116
    0.847 High 149

Factor: Zone 2
    0.853 Low 150
    0.907 High 160

Factor: Zone 3
    0.913 Low 161
    0.953 High 168

Factor: Zone 4
    0.960 Low 169
    0.993 High 175

Factor: Zone 5
    1.000 Low 176
    1.020 High 180

Factor: Zone 5+
    1.027 Low 181
    1.053 High 185

Factor: Zone 5++
    1.060 Low 187
    1.107 High 195

2010-01-14 8:18 PM
    in reply to: #2614710

User image

New user

sstucker - 2010-01-14 6:21 PM
    sstucker - 2010-01-14 6:06 PM ......reason for me posting my previous was trying to get someone to help me calculate my zones.

Cheers
    Go to D3's website, they have an excel spreadsheet tool. http://www.d3multisport.com/blog/index.php/calculating-heart-rate-z... Just in case you don't have Excel: (I copied and pasted from the tool) Factor: Zone 1 0.660 Low 116 0.847 High 149 Factor: Zone 2 0.853 Low 150 0.907 High 160 Factor: Zone 3 0.913 Low 161 0.953 High 168 Factor: Zone 4 0.960 Low 169 0.993 High 175 Factor: Zone 5 1.000 Low 176 1.020 High 180 Factor: Zone 5+ 1.027 Low 181 1.053 High 185 Factor: Zone 5++ 1.060 Low 187 1.107 High 195

Awesome,

Thanks for the help

2010-01-15 7:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Hey MLJ, at this morning swim I did what you recommended and I believe it made a difference. I didn't have the fully pumped feel in my upper arms like Wednesday night. I didn't wiggle my fingers every time but I was able to relax my arms on recovery. Also, on Wednesday's workout I did use my lats cause I felt them this morning, they were a little sore and so were my tris.
    2010-01-15 9:26 AM
    in reply to: #2615315

User image

Expert
    Medina, MN
    sstucker - 2010-01-15 7:19 AM

Hey MLJ, at this morning swim I did what you recommended and I believe it made a difference. I didn't have the fully pumped feel in my upper arms like Wednesday night. I didn't wiggle my fingers every time but I was able to relax my arms on recovery. Also, on Wednesday's workout I did use my lats cause I felt them this morning, they were a little sore and so were my tris.

Good work. You don't need to shake your hands all the time, just every once in a while to make sure you're relaxing your lower arms on the recovery. I'll have to check your logs and see what you're doing in the workouts, as I think I'm running out of drills to suggest without seeing you swim.
    2010-01-15 9:40 AM
    in reply to: #2614949

User image

Master
    West Bend, WI

yes those are right!  Sorry I am in AZ and not online that much

Try those out and see how they feel

2010-01-15 9:41 AM
    in reply to: #2615616

User image

Master
    West Bend, WI

MLJ - 2010-01-15 9:26 AM
    sstucker - 2010-01-15 7:19 AM Hey MLJ, at this morning swim I did what you recommended and I believe it made a difference. I didn't have the fully pumped feel in my upper arms like Wednesday night. I didn't wiggle my fingers every time but I was able to relax my arms on recovery. Also, on Wednesday's workout I did use my lats cause I felt them this morning, they were a little sore and so were my tris.
    Good work. You don't need to shake your hands all the time, just every once in a while to make sure you're relaxing your lower arms on the recovery. I'll have to check your logs and see what you're doing in the workouts, as I think I'm running out of drills to suggest without seeing you swim.

you should se if you can get someone to video you...we could check it out

2010-01-15 9:54 AM
    in reply to: #2615616

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Oshawa, Ontario
    MLJ - 2010-01-15 10:26 AM

For my swim I'm following the ZERO to 1650 in Six Weeks plan that someone posted on here (can't rememeber who, maybe Tammy).
    Site: http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

Today I did day 1 of week two. I need a base before I start thinking about to many drills, which I was doing last summer when I started my swim workout. I found myself thinking too much and trying to do too much. I was doing this with all three sports, overthinking things when I should be concentrating on building my foundation. So this year I decided that I would perform the basics, only adding one piece of the puzzle at a time.

So for first few weeks of swim concentrate on staying long with full strokes. So untill I can stay long for the entire workout I would prefer to not add anymore. So far during my workouts the things I notice that tend to break when trying to stay long is I sometimes bend my knees, I think that's when I'm getting tired. So if you have any drills that would help me stay long pass it on.

While trying to get some work done, I was thinking maybe I'm not using my legs correctly. I know my feet (ankles) should be loose but I believe I'm using my knee joints to perform the kicking. Should I be keeping legs straight? I'm thinking maybe that's why I occasionaly have atendency to over bend my knees (causing drag) when I'm tired.

Thanks

Edited by sstucker 2010-01-15 1:34 PM

2010-01-15 4:40 PM
    in reply to: #2615709

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin
    sstucker - 2010-01-15 9:54 AM
    MLJ - 2010-01-15 10:26 AMGood work. You don't need to shake your hands all the time, just every once in a while to make sure you're relaxing your lower arms on the recovery. I'll have to check your logs and see what you're doing in the workouts, as I think I'm running out of drills to suggest without seeing you swim.
    For my swim I'm following the ZERO to 1650 in Six Weeks plan that someone posted on here (can't rememeber who, maybe Tammy). Site: http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.htmlTodayI did day 1 of week two. I need a base before I start thinking about to many drills, which I was doing last summer when I started my swim workout. I found myself thinking too much and trying to do too much. I was doing this with all three sports, overthinking things when I should be concentrating on building my foundation. So this year I decided that I would perform the basics, only adding one piece of the puzzle at a time. So for first few weeks of swim concentrate on staying long with full strokes. So untill I can stay long for the entire workout I would prefer to not add anymore. So far during my workouts the things I notice that tend to break when trying to stay long is I sometimes bend my knees, I think that's when I'm getting tired. So if you have any drills that would help me stay long pass it on.While trying to get some work done, I was thinking maybe I'm not using my legs correctly. I know my feet (ankles) should be loose but I believe I'm using my knee joints to perform the kicking. Should I be keeping legs straight? I'm thinking maybe that's why I occasionaly have atendency to over bend my knees (causing drag) when I'm tired.Thanks
    I just want to chim in and give you my two cents on the swimming matter. I agree about adding one thng at a time. Swimming is so techinical to be proficient at and it really requires a lot of concentration. Keeping working on your stroke count and keeping your body long. Often times swimmers are not taking full advantage of each stroke and that is when and where you lose power and time. One you feel that your stroke count is consistent and lower, then move onto something else...say the "catch" motion of your stroke.As for kicking, I personally do about 100-200 yards/meters of kick sets each swim. While I do not kick too much during races, as I will use my legs for the rest of the race and it's truly the only time you really rely on your arms. If you are doing shorter distance races such as olympic and sprints then you can kick more. I still like to get some sets in to add some strength to my legs. I really felt the dividends of that last year.
    2010-01-15 4:40 PM
    in reply to: #2615709

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin
    sstucker - 2010-01-15 9:54 AM
    MLJ - 2010-01-15 10:26 AMGood work. You don't need to shake your hands all the time, just every once in a while to make sure you're relaxing your lower arms on the recovery. I'll have to check your logs and see what you're doing in the workouts, as I think I'm running out of drills to suggest without seeing you swim.
    For my swim I'm following the ZERO to 1650 in Six Weeks plan that someone posted on here (can't rememeber who, maybe Tammy). Site: http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.htmlTodayI did day 1 of week two. I need a base before I start thinking about to many drills, which I was doing last summer when I started my swim workout. I found myself thinking too much and trying to do too much. I was doing this with all three sports, overthinking things when I should be concentrating on building my foundation. So this year I decided that I would perform the basics, only adding one piece of the puzzle at a time. So for first few weeks of swim concentrate on staying long with full strokes. So untill I can stay long for the entire workout I would prefer to not add anymore. So far during my workouts the things I notice that tend to break when trying to stay long is I sometimes bend my knees, I think that's when I'm getting tired. So if you have any drills that would help me stay long pass it on.While trying to get some work done, I was thinking maybe I'm not using my legs correctly. I know my feet (ankles) should be loose but I believe I'm using my knee joints to perform the kicking. Should I be keeping legs straight? I'm thinking maybe that's why I occasionaly have atendency to over bend my knees (causing drag) when I'm tired.Thanks
    I just want to chim in and give you my two cents on the swimming matter. I agree about adding one thng at a time. Swimming is so techinical to be proficient at and it really requires a lot of concentration. Keeping working on your stroke count and keeping your body long. Often times swimmers are not taking full advantage of each stroke and that is when and where you lose power and time. One you feel that your stroke count is consistent and lower, then move onto something else...say the "catch" motion of your stroke.As for kicking, I personally do about 100-200 yards/meters of kick sets each swim. While I do not kick too much during races, as I will use my legs for the rest of the race and it's truly the only time you really rely on your arms. If you are doing shorter distance races such as olympic and sprints then you can kick more. I still like to get some sets in to add some strength to my legs. I really felt the dividends of that last year.
    2010-01-17 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Thanks Ben for your feedback.

Well last night I've setup my running schedule to prep for my 30K (18.6 miles) race on March 28, only ten weeks away. This great weather we are suppose to get this week has given me the extra motivation to get out and run. No more running indoors, at least when it's not raining or until next snow storm.

Well I have to stop writing since I have a two year old crawling all over me looking for attention. Oh, here comes the five year old looking for attention too.
    2010-01-18 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Completed another swim workout with excelent progress. Getting real comfortable and relaxed. Felt my lats and tris doing the work, and when I felt a twitch in my shoulder(s) I new how to correct it. I stayed long throughout the swim except for once when I tried something with my kicking. I didn't feel right so I stop that nonsense and kept going with what was working. I the end of the workout with 4 x 25 left I did concentrate on the catch a bit, not too much so to not through me off on staying long.

Have a good night.
    2010-01-19 8:16 AM
    in reply to: #2620905

User image

Expert
    Medina, MN
    Sylvain-
    Sorry was out of town this weekend, but to answer your question, your legs should be staying fairly straight on your kicks. Generally, when you're kicking down, you bend your knees a little bit (15 degrees?), and on the upkick, your legs should straighten out. Try to make sure your feet and ankles are relaxed, that might help with your flexibility a bit. Are you trying a 2-beat kick or a 6-beat kick? 2 beat is one kick per arm pull, 6 beat is 3 kicks per arm pull.
    -Matt

2010-01-19 8:58 AM
    in reply to: #2621210

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Oshawa, Ontario
    MLJ - 2010-01-19 9:16 AM

Sylvain-
    Sorry was out of town this weekend, but to answer your question, your legs should be staying fairly straight on your kicks. Generally, when you're kicking down, you bend your knees a little bit (15 degrees?), and on the upkick, your legs should straighten out. Try to make sure your feet and ankles are relaxed, that might help with your flexibility a bit. Are you trying a 2-beat kick or a 6-beat kick? 2 beat is one kick per arm pull, 6 beat is 3 kicks per arm pull.
    -Matt

"2-beat kick or a 6-beat kick" that's new to me. So I would think, last night anyway, that I may have used a 2 beat kick. Is one beat equal to kicking with each foot once? I tried to keeps legs calm last night so I can stay long, which worked. Now, should I be kicking on my side during pull.

- Sylvain
    2010-01-19 12:22 PM
    in reply to: #2621343

User image

Expert
    Medina, MN
    Each time you kick down with a leg, that's a "beat". So, when I swim distance, I typically kick one time with each arm pull - a two beat kick. When I'm sprinting or trying to go faster, I'll kick 3 times (smaller, faster kicks) with each arm pull - a 6 beat kick. It needs to be an odd number because the kicking is what helps your body rotate. However, some folks naturally will do a 6-beat kick all the time. It's not necessarily bad either way, but you might be able to rest your legs for the bike/run if you can just rely on your arms primarily in the swim, and use your legs sparingly with an easy 2-beat kick.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about kicking on your side. When I'm swimming, I don't ever really feel like I'm "on my side". I feel like my torso is twisting/rotating, but that my legs don't rotate as much, so I never get that "on my side" feel. I wouldn't think too much about the timing of your kick unless you're just feeling like it's really awkward and messing up your stroke. You're probably doing the timing fine naturally.

One other thing you should consider working into your swim workouts is a bit of pulling with a pull buoy. The idea is to keep yourself from kicking by holding the buoy between your legs, but at the same time getting some buoyancy to keep your legs from sinking. This will allow you to focus on your arms and arm technique, and if you're pushing it, will help you work you arms hard. Don't get too reliant on it though - it can make things easier for some folks and they end up always using a buoy.
    2010-01-19 4:38 PM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
    I'm thinking about getting the Triathlete's Training Bible as well as the Total Immersion book.  Any thoughts?
    2010-01-20 7:59 AM
    in reply to: #2622682

User image

Expert
    Medina, MN
    With respect to the Total Immersion book, I think the TI stroke that they try to teach you is Ok for getting someone who is either a terrible swimmer or a terrified swimmer into the pool and making progress. However, I think at the end of the day, the TI stroke won't get you any better than middle of the pack in terms of speed, maybe a comfortable middle of the pack. If that sounds like a good fit for what you're looking for, it's OK. However, I think most folks who don't have major phobias to deal with would be better off learning a more traditional freestyle. Just my two cents.
    2010-01-20 8:21 AM
    in reply to: #2621939

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Oshawa, Ontario
    MLJ - 2010-01-19 1:22 PM

Each time you kick down with a leg, that's a "beat". So, when I swim distance, I typically kick one time with each arm pull - a two beat kick. When I'm sprinting or trying to go faster, I'll kick 3 times (smaller, faster kicks) with each arm pull - a 6 beat kick. It needs to be an odd number because the kicking is what helps your body rotate. However, some folks naturally will do a 6-beat kick all the time. It's not necessarily bad either way, but you might be able to rest your legs for the bike/run if you can just rely on your arms primarily in the swim, and use your legs sparingly with an easy 2-beat kick.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about kicking on your side. When I'm swimming, I don't ever really feel like I'm "on my side". I feel like my torso is twisting/rotating, but that my legs don't rotate as much, so I never get that "on my side" feel. I wouldn't think too much about the timing of your kick unless you're just feeling like it's really awkward and messing up your stroke. You're probably doing the timing fine naturally.

One other thing you should consider working into your swim workouts is a bit of pulling with a pull buoy. The idea is to keep yourself from kicking by holding the buoy between your legs, but at the same time getting some buoyancy to keep your legs from sinking. This will allow you to focus on your arms and arm technique, and if you're pushing it, will help you work you arms hard. Don't get too reliant on it though - it can make things easier for some folks and they end up always using a buoy.

Had swim workout this morning and tried the 2-beat kick. It felt good, felt like I was in a better rythm. After the workout I realized that my previous sessions I may not have been kicking that much, probably because I was trying to stay long. Today I stayed long throughout the workout, now that I'm comfortable with that and the kick, this Friday I will work on the catch and keeping head down (lower). I think my head was to high because I wanted to see my arm straight but now that I know how it feels I won't feel the need to see it.

thanks for your pointers, I would not have progress this fast without them.

Sylvain

2010-01-20 10:32 AM
    in reply to: #2622682

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin
    dboy25 - 2010-01-19 4:38 PM I'm thinking about getting the Triathlete's Training Bible as well as the Total Immersion book.  Any thoughts?

I got the triathletes training bible over the winter and I'll give you my two cents.

If you want to build your own program over the course of the year or understand how plans are derived it is good. There are a handful of workouts for each discipline in the appendix but there is not much. It shows you alot about HR zones and when to train in each. Gives you an understanding of how recovery works, nutrition, how to balance everything, etc. I am not using verbatim but instead taking what I can from it and use my own experiences and knowledge to miz into the fold. But I do plan on writing my own training schedule this year for IMWI and a feel alot of it will come from the book along with Tammy here and of course what worked and didn't work for me.

I will say one of the huge benefits of the book is that Joe Friel the author tells you to build a plan that works for you. He does this by having you establish goals, find limiters to those goals and then work alot of those limiters throughout the year. Here on BT you have programs that are already written out and may not expose your weakness or help identify what you need to strengthen before race day. To me this part is huge as I want to be as well rounded as I can for IMWI.
    2010-01-20 2:46 PM
    in reply to: #2623575

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
    MLJ - 2010-01-20 7:59 AM With respect to the Total Immersion book, I think the TI stroke that they try to teach you is Ok for getting someone who is either a terrible swimmer or a terrified swimmer into the pool and making progress. However, I think at the end of the day, the TI stroke won't get you any better than middle of the pack in terms of speed, maybe a comfortable middle of the pack. If that sounds like a good fit for what you're looking for, it's OK. However, I think most folks who don't have major phobias to deal with would be better off learning a more traditional freestyle. Just my two cents.

well i don't have any phobias of the water but i did just learn about 1 month ago how to freestyle.  thanks for the input. 
    2010-01-20 2:47 PM
    in reply to: #2624014

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
    chasingkona - 2010-01-20 10:32 AM
    dboy25 - 2010-01-19 4:38 PM I'm thinking about getting the Triathlete's Training Bible as well as the Total Immersion book.  Any thoughts?

I got the triathletes training bible over the winter and I'll give you my two cents.

If you want to build your own program over the course of the year or understand how plans are derived it is good. There are a handful of workouts for each discipline in the appendix but there is not much. It shows you alot about HR zones and when to train in each. Gives you an understanding of how recovery works, nutrition, how to balance everything, etc. I am not using verbatim but instead taking what I can from it and use my own experiences and knowledge to miz into the fold. But I do plan on writing my own training schedule this year for IMWI and a feel alot of it will come from the book along with Tammy here and of course what worked and didn't work for me.

I will say one of the huge benefits of the book is that Joe Friel the author tells you to build a plan that works for you. He does this by having you establish goals, find limiters to those goals and then work alot of those limiters throughout the year. Here on BT you have programs that are already written out and may not expose your weakness or help identify what you need to strengthen before race day. To me this part is huge as I want to be as well rounded as I can for IMWI.

that sounds like what i'm looking for.  i want to understand how and why things work.....thanks.
    2010-01-21 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Hey Tammy I posted this question in another thread but was wondering what I should do next week. Should I take a recovery week next week since it's my 4th week in the cycle or since I am in the prep phase and not having a high volume or high intensity should I just keeping going at my pace? Check my logs and let me know. Thanks
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17