BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-03-05 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2701123

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
askinner13 - 2010-03-01 8:40 PM
Avoneer - 2010-03-01 2:10 PM

If it's still hurting 2 weeks later, I'd get myself to Physio and see what they say.

Then perhaps take one or two swimming classes to point you in the right direction and see if that helps or aggravates the shoulder - might be a problem you've had for a while and swimming has just highlighted it.

Pat...

Ok, I signed up for a few lessons.  Hoping the shoulder isnt anything serious...

That's a good idea. At what point in your stroke do you feel it the worst?

Sometimes shoulder pain comes from swimming with straight arms. Do you bend your arms at the elbows during the pull portion of your stroke?

2010-03-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2583522

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member

Light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel like spring is coming!!!!!!!
2010-03-05 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
OK, what races are you all signed up for now?

Here's my list:

May 1: Cap City Half Marathon (Columbus, OH)
May 23: Little Smokies Half Ironman (Portsmouth, OH)
July 10: Muncie Endurathon (Muncie IN)
Sept 12: Rev 3 Cedar Point/Sandusky OH
2010-03-05 11:37 AM

New user

Yeeha!

Been sunny here as well for the last few days.

Very cold on a morning still, but no more snow and ice.

Warm weather (and long runs/rides) here we come Laughing

April 25th - Duathlon (my 1st race in years)

Pat...

Edited by Avoneer 2010-03-05 11:38 AM
2010-03-06 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2709900

New user

ahohl - 2010-03-05 10:53 AM
askinner13 - 2010-03-01 8:40 PM
Avoneer - 2010-03-01 2:10 PM

If it's still hurting 2 weeks later, I'd get myself to Physio and see what they say.

Then perhaps take one or two swimming classes to point you in the right direction and see if that helps or aggravates the shoulder - might be a problem you've had for a while and swimming has just highlighted it.

Pat...

Ok, I signed up for a few lessons.  Hoping the shoulder isnt anything serious...

That's a good idea. At what point in your stroke do you feel it the worst?

Sometimes shoulder pain comes from swimming with straight arms. Do you bend your arms at the elbows during the pull portion of your stroke?

Hey Alice, so I feel it worst during the pull.  I think you hit it on the head about me "swimming with straight arms"... I had a lesson on Thursday and my instructor was saying that I dont bend my elbows enough both out of the water during the stroke and in the water during my pull, so we worked on that a lot.   Also, he was saying that when I enter the water (on my dominant breathing side - left side) and go to pull, I cross over the center of my body (outside of my normal shoulder rotation) putting a lot of pressure on the left shoulder.  So we worked on trying to not over rotate the shoulder and worked on breathing on both sides to help take pressure off of my left shoulder.  After my lesson and doing about 400 yards total, my shoulder didnt feel any worse.  Yahoooooo! 

Pat, thanks again for recommending the lesson.  I definitely think it was worth it!

2010-03-06 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2710012

New user

ahohl - 2010-03-05 11:36 AM OK, what races are you all signed up for now?

Here's my list:

Here's my list so far:
Mar 21: Shamrock Shuffle 8k (Chicago, IL)
May 16: Chicago Spring 10k (Chicago, IL)
Aug 1: Rock N Roll Chicago Half Marathon (Chicago, IL)
(still searching for some duathlons and maybe some indoor TRIs)

Adrian

2010-03-07 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2711519

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
My very tentative list:

April 17: Miami University Sprint Tri (confirmed)
May ?: Springboro YMCA Sprint Tri
June 6: Deer Creek Sprint Tri
July  ?" Ceaser Creek Sprint Tri
September 26: Deer Creek Toyota Challenge Mini (OLY)

On a side note - I did not have a good week of training this past week, just wasn't able to put the time in because of travel and work - I did, however, race the last Splash N Dash race this morning (3rd in the series) and was able to drop 2:30 minutes off my time yay - so I completed the 1000 yard swim, transition and 5K run in 48:22 - yahoo! How was everyone else's weekend?

Happy Belated Birthday Pat!

Edited by ddiamond 2010-03-07 6:13 PM
2010-03-08 5:52 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: What a difference after a bike fit.
Hi Everyone,This Sat my husband took me to face my nemesis: the hilly subdivision. This was my first attempt after the bike fit. OMG! What a difference proper seat height and handlebar distance makes. I was smoking the hills but at least I was able to make it to the top. I didn't fall off my bike once :-).I'm signed uo for:My First Tri June 5 in Lake Lanier, GAMuddy Buddy June 19 Atlanta, GA
2010-03-08 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2713436

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: What a difference after a bike fit.
Denise - Congrats on NOT falling - what a confidence builder that has to be!!! Glad to hear that the bike fit has made a huge difference and who cares if you aren't "smoking" the hills you are climbing them and making it up them right!?!? It seems the saying goes the only way to get better at climbing hills is climbing hills. After last week's very low key workouts I was able to HTFU this morning and got up and did my first BRICK, whew, I'm a bit tired, that transition from Bike to Run is brutal - my run pace was considerably slower but I still managed to bike/spin for 55 minutes and run for 30 minutes afterward so at least I am on the right track. Happy Monday everyone, hope you all have a great week. Wink
2010-03-09 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2711519

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
askinner13 - 2010-03-06 10:04 AM
ahohl - 2010-03-05 11:36 AM OK, what races are you all signed up for now?

Here's my list:

Here's my list so far:
Mar 21: Shamrock Shuffle 8k (Chicago, IL)
May 16: Chicago Spring 10k (Chicago, IL)
Aug 1: Rock N Roll Chicago Half Marathon (Chicago, IL)
(still searching for some duathlons and maybe some indoor TRIs)

nice! Do you know about chicago amateur athlete magazine? They have a great site with a very good regional events calendar.

Adrian

2010-03-09 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2711509

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member

Hey Alice, so I feel it worst during the pull.  I think you hit it on the head about me "swimming with straight arms"... I had a lesson on Thursday and my instructor was saying that I dont bend my elbows enough both out of the water during the stroke and in the water during my pull, so we worked on that a lot.   Also, he was saying that when I enter the water (on my dominant breathing side - left side) and go to pull, I cross over the center of my body (outside of my normal shoulder rotation) putting a lot of pressure on the left shoulder.  So we worked on trying to not over rotate the shoulder and worked on breathing on both sides to help take pressure off of my left shoulder.  After my lesson and doing about 400 yards total, my shoulder didnt feel any worse.  Yahoooooo! 

Pat, thanks again for recommending the lesson.  I definitely think it was worth it!

So glad you found a solution!  I bet you get faster, too!

2010-03-09 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2713015

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
ddiamond - 2010-03-07 7:12 PM My very tentative list:

April 17: Miami University Sprint Tri (confirmed)
May ?: Springboro YMCA Sprint Tri
June 6: Deer Creek Sprint Tri
July  ?" Ceaser Creek Sprint Tri
September 26: Deer Creek Toyota Challenge Mini (OLY)

On a side note - I did not have a good week of training this past week, just wasn't able to put the time in because of travel and work - I did, however, race the last Splash N Dash race this morning (3rd in the series) and was able to drop 2:30 minutes off my time yay - so I completed the 1000 yard swim, transition and 5K run in 48:22 - yahoo! How was everyone else's weekend?

Happy Belated Birthday Pat!

work travel is the worst!!
way to keep at it! Nice job on the Splash and Dash!
You've got a nice race schedule there. Turns out my dh is not going to be at Miami. (sniff) He has to get certified to be a spin instructor. There are only two times per year you can do this. one is on the day of Miami. The other is on the day before my Ironman. So he is withdrawing from Miami. (He's a great husband, huh?)
2010-03-09 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2713436

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: What a difference after a bike fit.
dajotkjo - 2010-03-08 6:52 AM Hi Everyone,This Sat my husband took me to face my nemesis: the hilly subdivision. This was my first attempt after the bike fit. OMG! What a difference proper seat height and handlebar distance makes. I was smoking the hills but at least I was able to make it to the top. I didn't fall off my bike once :-).I'm signed uo for:My First Tri June 5 in Lake Lanier, GAMuddy Buddy June 19 Atlanta, GA

AWESOME!!!
2010-03-09 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Awesome deal - I got a pair of used bike shoes on ebay for $22 including shipping!
I wanted to have some I can use with the spin bikes, and my shoes and cleats are all Look, not SPD.
Got them yesterday. Using them tomorrow! Yay!
2010-03-11 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
My 26-week Ironman plan begins MONDAY!!!
So I have actually been taking it easy this week. It's the last week I feel like I can skip a workout because I don't feel like getting up (which really doesn't happen that often) so I slept in Monday.

I'm taking my bike along on my "girls" weekend this weekend. I will be the dork going for a ride when everyone else is drinking in the hot tub, LOL!
2010-03-11 11:44 AM

New user

Get you with your ebay bargain!

I just won some clip-on aero bars for £18.

Anyone else beat me and Alice for bargains?

Glad your not the only one that is the odd one out within your group of friends!

Good luck with the training and we'll all let you off having an easy week.

Pat ;-)

2010-03-11 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
OK, there is no Internet where I am going for my cabin weekend, so take care of each other!

I had the jogging stroller out for the first time this year tonight. The kids had flashlights and were making sure the cars saw us. We went to the path and through the woods in the rain - awesome! But they are getting big and really heavy. Good thing I pumped up the stroller tires!

2010-03-12 1:36 PM

New user

Had a day rom hell at work today and thanks to Alice, I got home, said HTFU - a lot - and just ran the furthest I have ever run.....

In fact - did the following brick:

3.4 mile run - 31 minutes +2 minutes transition onto bike (needed a pee)

9.6 mile bike (was the old heavy mountain bike) - 44.07 minutes  +44 second transition

2.9 mile run - 24.51 minutes.

Would have made the full run home, but got a twinge in one knee and though it wise to walk the last 0.5 miles home and let everything cool down.

I must say it was hard and everything was hurting, but I did it!

Duathlon - fnarrrr - bring it on......

Pat ;-)

Edited by Avoneer 2010-03-12 1:40 PM
2010-03-13 11:17 PM
in reply to: #2723297

User image

Regular
Avoneer - 2010-03-12 2:36 PM

Had a day rom hell at work today and thanks to Alice, I got home, said HTFU - a lot - and just ran the furthest I have ever run.....

In fact - did the following brick:

3.4 mile run - 31 minutes +2 minutes transition onto bike (needed a pee)

9.6 mile bike (was the old heavy mountain bike) - 44.07 minutes  +44 second transition

2.9 mile run - 24.51 minutes.

Would have made the full run home, but got a twinge in one knee and though it wise to walk the last 0.5 miles home and let everything cool down.

I must say it was hard and everything was hurting, but I did it!

Duathlon - fnarrrr - bring it on......

Pat ;-)

Rock on Pat!!! 
2010-03-16 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Wow, awesome brick!!!
2010-03-16 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Did my first outdoor ride and my first hilly ride of the year in the same ride!

Sunday.
It was rainy for the first hour, too.

Very challenging.

Here's my tip: If something goes weird on your bike, like your chain won't move, unclip one foot and THEN evaluate your options. I saved myself from falling over a few times with this trick Sunday.  This works especially well if you are heading up a hill and you can't pedal (chain problem) and you are slowing down rapidly.

I did have a situation where I was in a very hard gear coming down a hill, and as I started to head up the next one, I shifted down and it wouldn't shift. (Lots of wet little pebbles going everywhere on this ride.)  I stood up and was crushing the pedals with all my might to get up the hill, and I was really impressed with how much strength I had when I needed it. All those spin classes, I think. It did finally pop and shift down as I was about halfway up. But I think I would have made it up in the huge gear, if it hadn't shifted.

That first outside ride is tough! I had to relearn how to get on and off, how to spit, how to blow snot rockets... it was a lot of work!

2010-03-17 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Interesting - I was able to go a lot harder in spin class today, after doing that hilly ride outside. I think it's just mental - confidence in my legs, you know?

I had a good swim today, too. I haven't had a decent swim workout in a week due to logistical errors. (Not the least of which was forgetting to change my alarm clock when the time changed.)
2010-03-17 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2730809

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Way to HTFU Pat. Nice job on the brick! I did my first brick last week with an hour on the bike and a 30 minute 3.1 mile run. This week I did another brick with an hour on the bike and a 40 minute and 4.25 mile run - I think the brick this week about killed me. My husband finally got a full-time work schedule (yay) but it is 4 10 hour shifts from 10 pm - 8 am and it has royally messed up my training schedule, I am still trying to work out the kinks and bugs of how I can get all the training time in plus take care of the kidlet, sleep and work.

Alice, glad to hear you got a good swim in. The Miami Tri is fast approaching - I am so sorry that David won't make it - I was really looking forward to meeting at least half of team Hohl - oh well. I have also decided that I am going to run the Twin Creek 10K just for fun. I am not expecting anything fast as from what I have read it is a hilly and muddy trek but I figure it can serve as my long run for the week so March 27 Twin Creek 10K here I come.

Hope everyone's training is going well. Happy Saint Patrick's day and hope you all enjoy some green beer.
2010-03-22 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hey everybody! How was weekend training?
I did my ride outside Sunday and it was less than inspiring. I swear I remember riding faster than that before. Sigh.

My bike is always my weak spot.

One possible cause of this lackluster ride was that I could not get into my big chainring no matter how hard I tried. So I will be searching YouTube for "barrel adjuster derailleur" and hoping that helps.
2010-03-22 4:25 PM

New user

Here you go Alice: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Front is a lot easier than the back - if I was close, I'd come set it up for you!

Not going so well for me - bike is fine, as is the swim, but not having much joy running with niggling ITB, achilles and what currently feels like a small tear in my calf and physio fully booked until next Thursday.

Dreading my Duathlon now as not sure I will make the run.......

Been going on the turbo more doing 6 minutes easy then 6 minutes at about 100 rpm and repeating a few times till I fall off and die ;-)

Pat...

Edited by Avoneer 2010-03-22 4:29 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12