BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-03-23 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2587085

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full

Great work on the race Dan. Can you explain what you mean by keep peddling when the chain comes off?

I think the bike is going to be my biggest challenge. I have been spending time on it, however, I don't think I am getting any faster. Oh well, it all takes time.

Whato.

2010-03-23 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Whato, if your chain comes off while riding, shift up and keep pedaling.  Use your front derailer for this.  The chain will jump back on your cog, hope this helps you out.  

Also I read when transitioning put your chain on your largest front cog in order to keep it from falling off when running with it. 

Dan have you heard anything about this?

Edited by scott1223 2010-03-23 3:07 PM
2010-03-23 4:34 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Thanks for the compliments on my race, it was a great time. 

The chain falling off trick works if it falls off to the outside.  If it makes a habit of it, it's time for a tune up.  Keeping your bike in the big chain ring to keep the chain from falling off makes some sense, it'll keep some pressure on the chain instead of it being really slack.  But you have to balance that against the need to be in the right gear when you start pedaling.
2010-03-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2743237

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-03-23 1:32 PM
Great work on the race Dan. Can you explain what you mean by keep peddling when the chain comes off?

I think the bike is going to be my biggest challenge. I have been spending time on it, however, I don't think I am getting any faster. Oh well, it all takes time.

Whato.

It is all about Time in the Saddle.
2010-03-23 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2743695

User image

Los Angeles
Sprint_DA - 2010-03-23 3:34 PM Thanks for the compliments on my race, it was a great time. 

The chain falling off trick works if it falls off to the outside.  If it makes a habit of it, it's time for a tune up.  Keeping your bike in the big chain ring to keep the chain from falling off makes some sense, it'll keep some pressure on the chain instead of it being really slack.  But you have to balance that against the need to be in the right gear when you start pedaling.

Bikes with grears are new to me, so what does in the big chain ring mean? is that a high gear or a low gear or something else?
                            Bonnie
2010-03-23 8:08 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Just stopping by to see why Dan hasn't been TANning much.

Hey, Dan!

2010-03-24 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2743745

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-03-23 4:59 PM
Sprint_DA - 2010-03-23 3:34 PM Thanks for the compliments on my race, it was a great time. 

Bikes with grears are new to me, so what does in the big chain ring mean? is that a high gear or a low gear or something else?
                            Bonnie

The chain ring is the front gearing that attaches the bike's crank to the chain.  Some bikes only have one chain ring on the front, others can have two or three.  The bigger the chain ring the faster you can go, but the more effort it will take. 
2010-03-24 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey Dan,

I wanted to relay some training I received this morning from my swim.  You may already know this but the guy I was training with introduced me to hypoxic training.  Basically breathing on every 3rd stoke for 25yr or 50yd or 100yd, whatever you can do.  Then increase it to every 5th stoke, then 7th, then 9th.  I did 3x50 for each then a cool down.  Awesome workout.

The theory is that hypoxic training increases the ability of the muscles to work better when oxygen levels are low, such as at the end of a 200 meter race. It is also believed that reducing the number of breaths per lap will increase the swimmer's speed, because changing the body position to take a breath tends to increase drag.

Just wanted to pass this along to everyone. 

2010-03-24 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2745376

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-03-24 11:19 AM Hey Dan,

I wanted to relay some training I received this morning from my swim.  You may already know this but the guy I was training with introduced me to hypoxic training.  Basically breathing on every 3rd stoke for 25yr or 50yd or 100yd, whatever you can do.  Then increase it to every 5th stoke, then 7th, then 9th.  I did 3x50 for each then a cool down.  Awesome workout.

The theory is that hypoxic training increases the ability of the muscles to work better when oxygen levels are low, such as at the end of a 200 meter race. It is also believed that reducing the number of breaths per lap will increase the swimmer's speed, because changing the body position to take a breath tends to increase drag.

I've done it before.  I can do 7 comfortably as unless I'm pushing super hard.  9 is a killer.  3 or 5 is normal depending on pace.  I've heard mixed reviews on hypoxic swimming, but I think that speed training definitely has its place.  I'd still put a larger emphasis on good technique long before I'd concentrate a lot on speed.  Good technique is going to give you a ton more speed in the long run, and leave you fresher than being able to overcome mediocre technique with strength.
2010-03-25 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
I agree with you Dan.  I believe good technique (and I am trying to get my technique down) will increase your speed, but also believe mixing up your training is good also.  I need to get in a long run this weekend, my running has been slacking my work is interfering with my training...lol

2010-03-25 11:28 PM
in reply to: #2745376

User image

Los Angeles
scott1223 - 2010-03-24 10:19 AM Hey Dan,

I understand most of what you wrote but I am not getting what is meant by 3x50.  I know it must be simple, and yall must think i'm dense but i don't get it.

thanks Bonnie

2010-03-26 5:14 AM
in reply to: #2749791

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-03-25 11:28 PM
scott1223 - 2010-03-24 10:19 AM Hey Dan,

I understand most of what you wrote but I am not getting what is meant by 3x50.  I know it must be simple, and yall must think i'm dense but i don't get it.

thanks Bonnie

Swimming has a vocabulary all its own that takes some time to get used to.  3x50 means you do 3 sets of 50 yards, usually with a rest interval in  between.  In this case you'd do 50yds breathing every 5 strokes, rest, 50 & 7, rest, 50 & 9
2010-03-27 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2749880

User image

Los Angeles
thanks you that help me make sense out of the swim workout I have seen. 

Next question is about wetsuits?  I was intialy going for a race that was a lake swim in August but that has not been scheduled and might not be(city money trbl).  So now I am going for a ocean swim (scare the bejesus out me) and will need a wetsuit.  I have a friend who has a swim skin that fits and I can swim in will that be thick enough? she is not sure and according to the website thee water temperature is usually 58-65 degrees.  are booties needed?
2010-03-28 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
That is a good question Bonnie. I am also looking at wet suits.  I am thinking of renting one unless I find a good deal on one.  I am looking for a sleeveless one, as I will be swimming in a lake for both of my Sprints. The first race is at the end of June and the other is in Aug.  Water temps should be warmer.

Hit my March goal of 7mi for run.  Felt great running and if I didn't have a time constraint would have run further. 

The weather this week is looking great, looking at a swim and bike on Tue. 
2010-03-28 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2753787

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Bonnie - no idea on the wetsuit stuff. I went to the local TRI shop yesterday to find out the process for renting.

Scott - way to go on the 7miles mark for March. Keep it up.

Take care,
Whato.
2010-03-29 12:38 AM
in reply to: #2754183

User image

Los Angeles
Yea Scott! on reaching your march goal.

I after research online, http://www.wetsuitmegastore.com/
I think this swimskin wetsuit will work, the pool at my condo is not heated and is only 50 something degrees and I was able to swim in the  suit. It was really cold at first but after a couple of laps only my face felt cold. I will try out somemore with my nephews 12 & 14 both surfers and jr lifeguards who said they would help with ocean swimming. I am also goning to sign up for ows classes in may or june. I hope that like most things the anticapated dread will be the worse part.

2010-03-29 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2754350

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-03-29 12:38 AM Yea Scott! on reaching your march goal.

I after research online, http://www.wetsuitmegastore.com/
I think this swimskin wetsuit will work, the pool at my condo is not heated and is only 50 something degrees and I was able to swim in the  suit. It was really cold at first but after a couple of laps only my face felt cold. I will try out somemore with my nephews 12 & 14 both surfers and jr lifeguards who said they would help with ocean swimming. I am also goning to sign up for ows classes in may or june. I hope that like most things the anticapated dread will be the worse part.

Glad to hear that your wetsuit will work, and that you've got some people who can help you with OWS practice.  That's a huge benefit!
2010-03-29 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2753787

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-03-28 4:37 PM That is a good question Bonnie. I am also looking at wet suits.  I am thinking of renting one unless I find a good deal on one.  I am looking for a sleeveless one, as I will be swimming in a lake for both of my Sprints. The first race is at the end of June and the other is in Aug.  Water temps should be warmer.

Hit my March goal of 7mi for run.  Felt great running and if I didn't have a time constraint would have run further. 

The weather this week is looking great, looking at a swim and bike on Tue. 

Congratulations on the run Scott!  It's awesome that you feel you could have gone farther too.  That'll make it easier to reach whatever goal you decide on next month. 

Renting a wetsuit at first is a great idea.  It will make it much cheaper to find out what you really like to use, and then if you find one you really like most rental companies will let you buy it for a reduced price.
2010-03-29 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks for the encouragement gang!  Looking forward to getting on the bike this week...today was rainy and cold.  Did an easy spin for 30min. drainer

Later this week it is suppose to get into the upper 70's...YEAH!  Time for brick workouts.

While at a party on Sat. night the subject of triathlon's came up.  To make a long story short, my friend and I talked another friend into signing up for the Sprint in June...LOL.  I have another training partner.  Nothing like a little push...

Thanks again group!  Anyone have any thoughts for April???

Great job on the March Peach Challange!!! 29 days of peach for me.

Edited by scott1223 2010-03-30 4:56 PM
2010-03-30 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2756659

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Two more days and March is PEACHY!
2010-03-31 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2756659

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-03-29 7:33 PM Thanks for the encouragement gang!  Looking forward to getting on the bike this week...today was rainy and cold.  Did an easy spin for 30min. drainer

Later this week it is suppose to get into the upper 70's...YEAH!  Time for brick workouts.

While at a party on Sat. night the subject of triathlon's came up.  To make a long story short, my friend and I talked another friend into signing up for the Sprint in June...LOL.  I have another training partner.  Nothing like a little push...

Thanks again group!  Anyone have any thoughts for April???

Great job on the March Peach Challange!!! 29 days of peach for me.

Ha...that seems to be the way a lot of people get talked into triathlons.  There are a couple guys on my tri team whose entry into triathlons start with "So we were out having drinks and this cute girl comes up and starts talking about racing..."

2010-03-31 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2759805

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
That is the way I got into this, New Years Eve...many drinks later I was making promises I would be doing a Tri this spring.  Now I am hooked.

Anyone have any plans for the group this month?

Dan, you have a Tri coming up right? 
2010-03-31 9:32 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
March was peachy for me! He He  Just training for April unless someone can come up with a specific plan.
2010-03-31 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2760209

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-03-31 11:26 AM That is the way I got into this, New Years Eve...many drinks later I was making promises I would be doing a Tri this spring.  Now I am hooked.

Anyone have any plans for the group this month?

Dan, you have a Tri coming up right? 

I do not have a plan for a challenge or anything for the coming month, unfortunately.  I do like the consistent training challenge like what we just did, though.  So if you guys are up for that again, I'm game.

I do have 2 races coming up this month (so far).  The first is a week from Saturday and will be my second cycling race of the season, and my first with the team I joined this week.  My first tri will be Apr. 24.  It's more of a tune-up race for me, definitely at the level of a "C" race.  It's mainly to practice transitions, and get a strong workout at race-pace in.  It's also cheap and close to my home town, so win-win. 
2010-03-31 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2761700

User image

Los Angeles

wow, Dan looks like a busy month for you? 

Not sure what happened to the rest of my post before but  I am up for another peach challenge

Edited by BonnieB 2010-04-01 5:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  

of 12