of 15

2010-02-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2682327

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED
triton63 - 2010-02-19 3:13 PM

I am now completely committed to this tri thing!  Signing up for a tri was a first step but not near as big as purchasing a tri bike.  Got measured this week and it will be ready for pick up today after 5PM.  I went with the least expensive but it seems to get good reviews, the Felt S32.  Red Speedplay pedals to go with the matt black frame with red and white trim.  Will not get to ride until Sunday afternoon but the weather will be great and I am sure it will be a blast getting on the road.  Only 85 days until my first tri...time to ride!

Awesome!  New bikes are the best!  Good motivators to ride as well. 

2010-02-19 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2682327

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
triton63 - 2010-02-19 3:13 PM

I am now completely committed to this tri thing!  Signing up for a tri was a first step but not near as big as purchasing a tri bike.  Got measured this week and it will be ready for pick up today after 5PM.  I went with the least expensive but it seems to get good reviews, the Felt S32.  Red Speedplay pedals to go with the matt black frame with red and white trim.  Will not get to ride until Sunday afternoon but the weather will be great and I am sure it will be a blast getting on the road.  Only 85 days until my first tri...time to ride!

Be sure to post a pic of the new ride!
2010-02-20 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2683065

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Nice! Can't wait to see it!
2010-02-20 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2683783

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

5K Race this morning, "Roses en la Playa", did ok...but not great. Beat my prior best 5k time, but 7 /19 in my age group, 118 out of 220 runners.

I was trying to post a pic of crossing the finish line at the beach, but can't figure out how to post a jpg here?

PamelaCool

Edited by sbtrichick 2010-02-21 9:59 AM
2010-02-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2680132

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA
Mcluvin22 - 2010-02-18 1:08 PM
Was the clinic helpful? They are having one in April in NYC that I was thinking about going to.
Thanks

Was it helpful. Yes.  Was it worth the $$? Not sure.  Three major takeaways:

1. Lots of focus on form, posture, stance.
2. Pre-running "drills" and keeping yourself loose and your feet soft...trying to go "easy" on the body.
3. Running with a cadence meter, bpm, which I still occasionally use and my husband swears by.

My clinic was in Venice Beach California right on the beach run by a guy who definitely knew his stuff and trains marathoners/triathletes, etc. He was great!

Most fun: Meeting other runners, talking running and learning new ideas, which I am always open to

Pamela.
2010-02-21 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2592294

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Stupid cleats!  Ok, so maybe it wasn't their fault.  First day on the new bike and I was determined not to fall and that worked pretty good for the first 30 minutes.  Rode up and down the driveway practicing clipping in and out.  Seemed easy enough.  Went to the Callaway Gardens with my wife to ride on the trails.  Had ridden about a half hour and stopped and started many times.  Came to an intersection and hesitated which way to go...made the decision to turn left after really slowing down.  As I turned the slow motion fall began.  And, as many had told me, there would be plenty of witnesses, as I was just at the corner of a parking lot with several bike riders standing around talking in the parking lot.  After hitting the ground I unclipped, got up, got back on the bike and took off.  About 100 yards further down the path, out of sight from the witnesses, I stopped and checked out the damage.  Scuffed the side of the saddle, torn some of the tape on the handles, scratched up the speedplay pedal.  I guess I got my foot out of it just before it hit the ground. Thanked my wife for not laughing out loud and continued on.

Still, I loved the ride!  Never got up too much speed as I feel like I need to learn to ride a bike all over again.  Rode for an hour and had a blast.  Can't wait to go again. 

2010-02-21 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2685067

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
triton63 - 2010-02-21 9:31 PM Stupid cleats!  Ok, so maybe it wasn't their fault.  First day on the new bike and I was determined not to fall and that worked pretty good for the first 30 minutes.  Rode up and down the driveway practicing clipping in and out.  Seemed easy enough.  Went to the Callaway Gardens with my wife to ride on the trails.  Had ridden about a half hour and stopped and started many times.  Came to an intersection and hesitated which way to go...made the decision to turn left after really slowing down.  As I turned the slow motion fall began.  And, as many had told me, there would be plenty of witnesses, as I was just at the corner of a parking lot with several bike riders standing around talking in the parking lot.  After hitting the ground I unclipped, got up, got back on the bike and took off.  About 100 yards further down the path, out of sight from the witnesses, I stopped and checked out the damage.  Scuffed the side of the saddle, torn some of the tape on the handles, scratched up the speedplay pedal.  I guess I got my foot out of it just before it hit the ground. Thanked my wife for not laughing out loud and continued on.

Still, I loved the ride!  Never got up too much speed as I feel like I need to learn to ride a bike all over again.  Rode for an hour and had a blast.  Can't wait to go again. 

First Callaway Gardens are beutiful, I am sure it was a great ride! Don't feel too bad about the fall we all have done it. But I must admit I laughed while reading your post. Thanks for the laugh! Smile
2010-02-22 6:21 AM
in reply to: #2685084

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Happened to me at a traffic light in town. I could only laugh at myself (everyone else was).... got back on the bike and took off.
2010-02-22 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2684166

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
sbtrichick - 2010-02-20 10:57 PM

5K Race this morning, "Roses en la Playa", did ok...but not great. Beat my prior best 5k time, but 7 /19 in my age group, 118 out of 220 runners.

I was trying to post a pic of crossing the finish line at the beach, but can't figure out how to post a jpg here?

PamelaCool

So you set a PR and it was just OK?!?! 

Great job!
2010-02-22 12:51 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
triton63 - 2010-02-21 9:31 PM Stupid cleats!  Ok, so maybe it wasn't their fault.  First day on the new bike and I was determined not to fall and that worked pretty good for the first 30 minutes.  Rode up and down the driveway practicing clipping in and out.  Seemed easy enough.  Went to the Callaway Gardens with my wife to ride on the trails.  Had ridden about a half hour and stopped and started many times.  Came to an intersection and hesitated which way to go...made the decision to turn left after really slowing down.  As I turned the slow motion fall began.  And, as many had told me, there would be plenty of witnesses, as I was just at the corner of a parking lot with several bike riders standing around talking in the parking lot.  After hitting the ground I unclipped, got up, got back on the bike and took off.  About 100 yards further down the path, out of sight from the witnesses, I stopped and checked out the damage.  Scuffed the side of the saddle, torn some of the tape on the handles, scratched up the speedplay pedal.  I guess I got my foot out of it just before it hit the ground. Thanked my wife for not laughing out loud and continued on.

Yeah, it happens.

My first time was stopping to give another cyclist directions.  I slowed to see if he needed help.  But I must have been assuming he would say no and I'd keep going, because when he said yes, I stopped and tumbled right next to him. 

Glad you enjoyed the first ride.  Hopefully many more to come!
2010-02-22 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2686226

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
OK.... I've had this upper respiratory infection for 8 days now and I've had ENOUGH!!! Yell Time to be well again! Sick sucks.

2010-02-22 4:30 PM

User image

Its good you got it out of the way on the first ride.  It literally does happen to everyone.  Seriously.  Now its out of the way and you get back to riding.  Ride long enough and you'll see someone else do it and then you'll have come full circle.
2010-02-22 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2686847

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

bummer...it took me three weeks to get well..I can relate, my training log for February is super low volume...hang in there Undecided

Pamela Cool

2010-02-23 6:37 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Sounds like several here are catching the sick bug.  Hope all of you get well soon and get out and enjoy the spring weather...if you have spring weather where you live.  This weekend we had 67 degrees and sunny skies.  Tomorrow rain, high in the 40s, low in the 20s.  Hopefully, this weekend it will be dry and another good weekend to get outside.

I am looking for an inexpensive device for the bike that tracks speed, distance, etc.  Don't need the heart rate monitor, just basic info.  I would like to have top speed, avg speed, current speed and distance traveled.  Any suggestions on which to get?

Thanks!
2010-02-23 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2687570

User image

Hey Triton-

I have the basic Sigma model.  Once you get it calibrated to your bike, it is a no-brainer to operate.  For the basic functions, I doubt you can go wrong with that brand.  Glad to hear you got the requisited slow-speed fall behind you without serious injury!  Cleats will become second nature.  Spring weather just around the corner for us Southerners!  Last weekend was awesome.  Enjoy!
2010-02-23 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2687629

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Hi Aubie,

Are there are good paved bike paths in the Auburn area?  There is a short 7 mile Rails to Trails in Valley, AL but looking for something longer.  I guess I can always drive up to the Silver Comet Trail out of Atlanta but looking for something closer.

2010-02-23 9:39 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
triton63 - 2010-02-23 7:37 AM

I am looking for an inexpensive device for the bike that tracks speed, distance, etc.  Don't need the heart rate monitor, just basic info.  I would like to have top speed, avg speed, current speed and distance traveled.  Any suggestions on which to get?

You can go with pretty much anything.  Both Sigma and Cat Eye make a bunch of models that would suit your purposes.  Shouldn't cost you any more than $30, perhaps up to $50 if you want wireless.  Here's one in the middle of that range:  http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1088653_-1_1509500_20000_1510500
2010-02-23 10:06 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Thanks for the suggestions.  My LBS carries the Cateye and I looked at the Strada the other day.  Have to decide on the wired or wireless version.  Thanks again!
2010-02-23 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2688067

User image

I too have come down with a cold and missed my long run as well as a day of cross training.  I stayed home from work yesterday but I'm feeling much better today.  Still have a minor cough and minor congestion.  I would say I'm at 80% today.  The only question is whether or not I'm going to run today.  I'm supposed to do 5 miles but I'm not sure if I should.  Will it slow my recovery overall?  
2010-02-23 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2688067

User image

triton63 - 2010-02-23 11:06 AMThanks for the suggestions.  My LBS carries the Cateye and I looked at the Strada the other day.  Have to decide on the wired or wireless version.  Thanks again!
Definitely go wireless. There are way fewer hassles and much easier to install (though any good LBS will install one you buy from them for free). There is also no risk that wires will get tangled in spokes or cut or something like that.
2010-02-23 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2688542

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
aggienmmi - 2010-02-23 1:16 PM I too have come down with a cold and missed my long run as well as a day of cross training.  I stayed home from work yesterday but I'm feeling much better today.  Still have a minor cough and minor congestion.  I would say I'm at 80% today.  The only question is whether or not I'm going to run today.  I'm supposed to do 5 miles but I'm not sure if I should.  Will it slow my recovery overall?  

Play it by feel.  If it's in your chest, it will be difficult to work out and may set you back if you push too much.  If it's mostly in your head, it might be a little uncomfortable but should be doable.  If it were me, I'd probably head out for the run and either do shorter loops so I could bail early or at least do a "self-assessment" after a warm-up and decide if it's worth it to keep going or not.  Regardless, I would only run very easy this time out since you may not really know what kind of affect it has on you until afterwards.

2010-02-23 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2688633

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone. I just got back from my doc and she says it's bronchitis. Got some meds and I'm looking forward to getting back into training soon (I hope).
2010-02-23 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
Check out the VDO C4DS at Amazon. I have a VDO Z1 and it's a good bike computer. I think they make good product.

2010-02-23 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2689454

User image

Well I went for it.  I did 5 miles at nice and easy 6.0mph.  I felt pretty good; no real problems.  I'm glad i got out and did it.  I have to travel for work tomorrow and its always hard to get on a treadmill when I'm out of town, but its really important I get all my workouts in this week, as this is the peak of my marathon plan.  I'll talk to you all in a few days...
2010-02-25 4:43 PM

User image

New York City
Looks like I am not the only one with a bug. It does not feel like much, but I have a cold that had been interfering with my training. Not to mention the god-awful weather. We are getting slammed with snow again.

I did a slow fall when I first got clip pedals. It happened when I stopped to help another rider who was stopped on the side of the road! I think it is universal.

Have a great weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15