Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-04-15 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2794466

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
tmoran80 - 2010-04-15 1:16 PM

I try to plan meals on the weekend and do some preparation like making up a large batch of pasta sauce, making my own wontons, with ground chicken or turkey, meatballs to add to pasta sauce and then freezing them in portions that can be taken out in the morning and be ready to throw together when we get home from work.  I'm not always successful, but the weeks that I do the prep work, are way better for the diet than the weeks I don't.

Sandra - I would be interested in that wonton with ground chicken or turkey recipe if you wouldn't mind

Oh me too!!! YUM

2010-04-15 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2794461

User image

Regular
tmoran80 - 2010-04-15 1:14 PM Typical food day consists of:

4:45am - Cliff Bar before workout
7:00 am - Banana or some fruit on the way to work with cup of coffee
8:30am - Granola Cereal w/ skim milk or whole wheat waffles with banana's and chopepd pecans
10:00am - whole wheat toast with peanut butter
12:00pm - varies - but I try and stay vegetarian during the day.  I have been following a plan in a book "The Flexitarian Diet" that I saw in Runners World a few months back.  Try to follow the recipe which usually consists of some type of bean meal or veggie burgers.
2:00 pm - bananan, apple or wheat thins to tide me over til dinner
6:00 pm - spring mix salad before dinner then chicken breast, ground turkey based meal with veggies.
8:00pm - a couple of beers and steak burrito - just seeing who is actually reading this
8:15 pm - snack like raisins, fruit, sun chips, or  small bowl of ice cream if I have the craving.

I read it :D  Steak burrito sounds yummy
2010-04-15 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2794651

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tri.me2010 - 2010-04-15 3:27 PM
tmoran80 - 2010-04-15 1:14 PM Typical food day consists of:

8:30am - Granola Cereal w/ skim milk or whole wheat waffles with banana's and chopepd pecans
12:00pm - varies - but I try and stay vegetarian during the day.  I have been following a plan in a book "The Flexitarian Diet" that I saw in Runners World a few months back.  Try to follow the recipe which usually consists of some type of bean meal or veggie burgers.
6:00 pm - spring mix salad before dinner then chicken breast, ground turkey based meal with veggies.
8:00pm - a couple of beers and steak burrito - just seeing who is actually reading this
8:15 pm - snack like raisins, fruit, sun chips, or  small bowl of ice cream if I have the craving.

I read it :D  Steak burrito sounds yummy

The beers sound good to me! I can't wait to have something tonight!
2010-04-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2794510

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2010-04-15 2:36 PM
SoccerGK - 2010-04-15 2:28 PM I hope you guys can send me some good recipes!  It's hard because Ryan is such a picky eater, so for dinner, I get sucked into his junk food a lot of times.  We made two meals every night for a while but that got old fast.

Breakfast: a fruit/yogurt smoothie and either 2 waffles with peanut butter OR an egg and cheese muffin (homecooked, of course.)

Lunch: either low-cal soup or 2 tuna sandwiches

Snack: fruit cup or a handful of pretzels

Dinner: free for all!  either pasta, rice, noodles, usually with some veggies or a salad.

Wow, that's a lot of carbs for dinner....

Any suggestions?

John and I are total opposites when it comes to food too.  He is all about carbs and I am not.  He eats red meat, I don't.  I love seafood, he won't touch it.  Some nights we do cook two different things.  Oh, and he won't touch a vegetable!!! 

Us too!!! It is so hard, especially because he usually cooks dinner while I'm studying, so I only have time to cook myself a GOOD meal if I don't have a lot of work to do.  Ryan packs on the carbs like crazy.  Spaghetti, ravioli, lasagna, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, etc.  Outside of that, it's usually just hamburgers, pizza, or hot dogs (gross)!  He won't eat ANY white meat, which drives me crazy because I love chicken.  And he's a snack food junkie, so we always have candy around the house, which I sometimes can't resist.  Honestly, I think he's most of the reason my eating habits suck now.  When I lived alone, I lost weight!
2010-04-15 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
South Jersey
My parents house is the worst place with the snacks these days for me!  I decided that I need to be chewing gum every time I walk in there.  I am there twice a day every weekday and sometimes there for lunch too!
2010-04-15 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Quick question:  So, I know my workouts have only been consistent for a week now, but I did work out sporadically before that and didn't log them.  However, I haven't lost a single pound since I started working out again.  I hate that darn scale...

Any thoughts on this?

2010-04-15 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2794716

User image

Regular
SoccerGK - 2010-04-15 2:50 PM

Quick question:  So, I know my workouts have only been consistent for a week now, but I did work out sporadically before that and didn't log them.  However, I haven't lost a single pound since I started working out again.  I hate that darn scale...

Any thoughts on this?

I have been on a plateau since january like this.... I work out 6 days a week and go up and down within 2 pounds.

Sometimes it takes a while for my body to "catch up" though.  When I was losing weight regularly.. I would workout for a few days with no results, and then day 4 I would magically be down 5 pounds. Maybe that is what's going on with you :D
2010-04-15 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
SoccerGK - 2010-04-15 1:50 PM

Any thoughts on this?

First off, don't get caught up in the scale, it is not the best tool.  Weightloss is not what you are necessarly after, but fat loss, and muscle gain is.  Muscle weighs more than fat, and the best tool for guaging fat loss is a measuring tape.  I take measurements for all my bootcamp participants once a month and the inches lost have stopped the power the scale has in their lives.  Rather than stepping on the scale frequently, ask yourself how your clothes feel, are they lose, are they more comfortable? 

I'm not saying that you shouldn't weigh yourself, but don't rely on it to accurately show your results because any number of things can fluctuate your weight through out the day and week, mostly due to water weight.  If  you are going to weigh yourself, always do it at the same time of day.
2010-04-15 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2794780

User image

Regular
corstan - 2010-04-15 3:16 PM
SoccerGK - 2010-04-15 1:50 PM

Any thoughts on this?

First off, don't get caught up in the scale, it is not the best tool.  Weightloss is not what you are necessarly after, but fat loss, and muscle gain is.  Muscle weighs more than fat, and the best tool for guaging fat loss is a measuring tape.  I take measurements for all my bootcamp participants once a month and the inches lost have stopped the power the scale has in their lives.  Rather than stepping on the scale frequently, ask yourself how your clothes feel, are they lose, are they more comfortable? 

I'm not saying that you shouldn't weigh yourself, but don't rely on it to accurately show your results because any number of things can fluctuate your weight through out the day and week, mostly due to water weight.  If  you are going to weigh yourself, always do it at the same time of day.

I agree... I haven't really lost any weight since I started Tri training in January, BUT I have gone from a 8 to a 4 in pants.  So the scale isn't always the best measure.
2010-04-15 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
I thought it might be fun ( and inspiring ) if everyone posted a past race/training/whatever pic of themselves for our little group to see. Anyone else interested???
2010-04-15 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2794461

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
hahaha, is it wrong that I got totally excited and hungry around 8pm!

tmoran80 - 2010-04-15 2:14 PM Typical food day consists of:

2010-04-15 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Sandra explained this very well so I won't go into too much detail.  I try to gauge my weight based on Monday mornings.  I keep track of it everyday (cuz I am a total numbers nerd and like to keep track of things like that), but I compare my Mon mornings to see how I am doing.  There is so much that goes into our day to day weight, that it is very hard to compare one day to the next, but if you are trending down then that is what you are looking for.  There will be plateaus but you've got to fight through them (I am at one right now actually...stuck in the 205-207 range).  But I know if I stick to my plans then I will get through it. 

I think in the beginning it is hard to see no/little weight loss and I think that deters a lot of people, but realize that you body is adapting to everything new you are throwing at it and it just takes some time (no matter what The Biggest Loser shows us!).

SoccerGK - 2010-04-15 3:50 PM

Any thoughts on this?

2010-04-15 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2794831

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Good idea, Courtney.  I've got pics up in my album from my past 2 years for anyone to see, but I will pick one and post it here.  Not sure how inspiring it is, but it is from one of my races in 2009.  Didn't plan it this way, but this is from the same race as my avatar pic (but wife took that one). 

Tri.me2010 - 2010-04-15 4:39 PM I thought it might be fun ( and inspiring ) if everyone posted a past race/training/whatever pic of themselves for our little group to see. Anyone else interested???

Edited by chichitao 2010-04-15 5:19 PM
2010-04-15 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I have no tri pics yet!  But, I'll give you a soccer one!

(Keeper web.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Keeper web.jpg (34KB - 11 downloads)
2010-04-15 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
I really have to figure out how to get on here at lunch time to keep up with everyone.  Jeez, this is unreal!  You guys are all AMAZING.  Keep up the great work!

For me, my day looks something like this:

7am : Kashi cereal with a banana and skim or soy milk
10am : Fruit of some sort, some nuts
12noon : Salad with some sort of protein (ham, steak, chicken, tuna...)
3:30pm : Protein shake or some other snack...
7pm : Dinner.  Recently, it's been a lot of cesar salad with some sort of protein.  Usually chicken, salmon, steak...
Dessert/Snack : Don't have anything planned...  nothing, if possible, but if I'm hungry, I eat...

I am currently also on a plateau at 190 lbs.  I have been trying to work it off for a while now, and I think the tri training will definitely help with that.  I know that nutrition is a big part of my problem, because I have given myself a lot of excuses to not eat well recently.  It's hard when there are really good fast food restaurants in your apartment building...

As for training pics, I don't have any!  Unfortunately, I haven't played a serious team sport in YEARS, and I haven't completed any tris or races yet.  Give me a few months...  July 10th, here I come!

So today, I went for a run and a bike ride today, but it was REALLY COLD.  I managed to get my 20km bike in, but only got 3.5kms of a run in.  I ran at lunch, and I didn't want to take too long.  I have to figure out how to do it better.  Including getting changed and stretching, it takes about 10 minutes.  Throw in stretching, a shower and changing after, I have about 25 minutes for a run.  This is enough for a 5km run for me, but I am hoping to start upping my mileage, ideally.  I don't really know what I can do.  

Although, in May, I am joining a pool which is about 5kms away from my work, so I think I'll be doing about 10+kms of running plus a swim Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and then biking Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  Stretching on Sunday.  Does this sound reasonable to people?  I'm still trying to figure out how much is enough/too much.  Any input is greatly appreciated!

TGIF tomorrow!  I'm really looking forward to the weekend! 
2010-04-15 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
okay, here is my wonton recipe

1 lb ground chicken or turkey
1 egg yolk
2 small shallots finely chopped (optional)
2 green onions finely chopped
1-2 inches of ginger, grated
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp Asian sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
wonton wrappers(approx. 60-100)
Optional: Chili flakes to taste

I've played around with the ingredients and adjusted the recipe to my tastes, don't be afraid to mix things up. should make somewhere between 60-100 wontons depending on how big your wrappers are and how much meat you put in them.

Thoroughly mix everything together ,  and teaspon mixture onto wonton wrapper.   To cook them up, boil a big pot of water and toss them in and boil for approximately 8 minutes.  I like to serve them with a mixture of rice vinegar and soy sauce,  cook up a nice peanut sauce or make a soup to throw them in.  They freeze very nicely, so I will usually make up large batches every so often and put servings in ziplock bags.  Add a few extra minutes boil time if cooking from frozen.

Enjoy!

2010-04-15 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Give me a couple of weeks on the pictures, my husband and I are really bad at documenting our lives in photo's up until now, mainly because pictures showed us how out of shape we had become.
2010-04-15 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Shauna...good luck this weekend!  I can't wait to hear all about your first triathlon!!!  Rock it girl!!!  I don't know if I will be on much tomorrow.  I am off of work and spending the day with my boys!  Not sure what the day will hold!!  Anyone else racing this weekend?
2010-04-16 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2795370

User image

Regular
Mrschach - 2010-04-15 9:14 PM Shauna...good luck this weekend!  I can't wait to hear all about your first triathlon!!!  Rock it girl!!!  I don't know if I will be on much tomorrow.  I am off of work and spending the day with my boys!  Not sure what the day will hold!!  Anyone else racing this weekend?

YES!!! You are going to be AMAZING!!!! Just wait till you feel what it's like to cross that finishline! You are a ROCKSTAR!!!

I am not racing this weekend, but next. :D I rode the bike course and it is FUN!!! It was the first time I've actually broken the speed limit ON MY BIKE. I got going 37mph!!! FUN!!!! It has a few LONG hills that are rough, but I need to work on powering through them and the rest I can manage ( other than one rode that has more potholes than I have EVER seen... YIKES)

It was a REALLY great RIDE. And today... is a run. I have to do 5k, but I am hoping to pull a 10k. I have an oly in a month and I dont think I am ready.... BETTER GET TO WORK!!!

oh... GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!! I am going to get my pic up in just a bit

IT"S GONNA BE AN AMAZING DAY!!
2010-04-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2795157

User image

Veteran
Okay so how many calories in the wontons?  They sound very tasty!!!

Shauna-Good luck this weekend!  You are going to do great!

So glad it is Friday!
2010-04-16 11:02 AM

User image

Regular

Sorry this ended up HUGE.... THis is me during my first Tri, the Icebreaker, last month. I love this pic... cause I am passing some guy ( and then I passed about 10 others!!) I really felt like did well in my swim that day, and it set my mood for the rest of the course!  All my other tri pics are in an album on my page :D  AND... you can actually tell it's me in them :D

2010-04-16 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2796349

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
debbiereid06 - 2010-04-16 8:57 AM Okay so how many calories in the wontons?  They sound very tasty!!!

Shauna-Good luck this weekend!  You are going to do great!

So glad it is Friday!

that would depend on how big your wontons are,  mine are bite size and are probably around 25 calories per wonton.
2010-04-16 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2796396

User image

Regular
I might try making these tonight. YUM!
2010-04-16 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
It's slow in here today.  Must be a busy Friday. I hope everyone has an awesome weekend planned.

I have to study for a stats exam.  Did I mention I LOATHE stats. Yup. I do.

And I have a paper to write. And stats Homeowork to do. Blah....

BUT I am gonna have some KILLER workouts and I am going to go to a minor league baseball game. Woot Woot.
2010-04-16 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2797007

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tri.me2010 - 2010-04-16 2:57 PM It's slow in here today.  Must be a busy Friday. I hope everyone has an awesome weekend planned.

I have to study for a stats exam.  Did I mention I LOATHE stats. Yup. I do.

And I have a paper to write. And stats Homeowork to do. Blah....

BUT I am gonna have some KILLER workouts and I am going to go to a minor league baseball game. Woot Woot.

Just me and the boys this weekend!!  My husband is drinking and playing rugby this weekend, much more drinking than rugby!  This is his alumni weekend.  The alumni play the current team.  What these guys tend to forget is they are anywhere from 30-45 years old and play once or twice a year playing guys that are 20 and play 3-4 times a week.  This is a big alumni weekend.  It is the 25th anniversary of Univ. of Scranton having the rugby league.  I am having some anxiety about being home alone this weekend though.  Tonight is the first night I am home without him overnight without having dogs.  The dogs always gave me a sense of security so it will be a little strange tonight.  I just got a run in on the treadmill.  I have no idea what tomorrow holds.  I am leaving our house at naptime to drive an hour or so to a friends house.  Naptime is typically when I run when I am home alone with the kids.  I might be able to get a strength workout in earlier during the day. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103