BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-05-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2854742

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Michele, I always run a certain distance rather than a certain time.  I think you can do it either way, just be careful not to add too much volume at one time.... 10% per week, so if you run 10 miles a week this week, run 11 the next, etc.  And I would be very careful if they have speedwork in the plan if you don't have a really good running base built up.  It's easy to get injured and then you'll have to lay off to heal, and then it's almost like starting over.  My guess is the plan has you running 13 mile long runs or so by the end of it?  Maybe a little less, but you'll want to be sure to have decent mileage even if it does take you longer, since the race WILL be based on distance, if that makes sense.

I'm curious, are you planning on doing a HIM as your first tri??  I would strongly suggest doing a sprint just to see how it feels... as I told Kory, I THOUGHT I was prepared for an OLY and I died on the run...  I had some friends do a HIM a couple of weeks ago and while they were doing it, I was at home and decided to do a long bike ride, went out and rode 42 miles.... when I got off the bike I couldn't imagine then running a half marathon!  I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you've never done a tri, a HIM is a HUGE undertaking, (in my opinion).  One of my BT friends just did the one 2 weeks ago, and she said the training was exhausting, I can have her contact you if you want some specific advice?!  She did sprints last year, I think it was her first year, I'm not sure.

2010-05-12 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2853030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Tammy, I'm trying to find out why I suck at swimming too???  I'll google for a few days and get us the answer we deserve!!  Then we'll have an excuse for almost every shortcoming!  I'm sure glad Mr. Gore invented the internets!
2010-05-12 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2853172

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
PTWykes - 2010-05-12 7:58 AM Thanks for the "info" on the hill climbs on the bike...LOL...I'd look SICK if I dropped 12 more pounds to meet that guideline so I guess hills just won't be my thing. NOT! I'm going to prove that little theory wrong!!!!!

I agree that it is somewhat startling how many people are sick in our group right now....stay healthy people! You can't train, let alone train well when you're sick!

I had a KICK A** workout this morning (details will be in my log Needed that after feeling blah yesterday!

Agree, we have all been way too sick.  Since we passed it through cyberspace to one another I've decided I have a master plan.  We should develop and market a hand sanitizer for internet usage!!!  I think it would sell like wildfire... Just think, we have all the test case we need to prove that you can be contagious over cyberspace!  We can get that infomercial guy to sell our product!  When I hit 150lbs so I can climb hills (NOT) we can show me as a poor rundown scrawny sufferer of the internet plague...

Think about it... we could be rich!  Buy the way - today I repeated my first 3mile run with no walk!!!! Im psych'd It was not a fluke... and I did it a little quicker.  I feel a 10:599999 pace coming real soon.. that would be way cool - since I never thought in my life I'd be able to run 3 miles!  I think I'll think about having a rice crispy now... I knew I shouldn't have made those things with the kids!!! Enough rambling... need sleep!   
2010-05-13 2:02 AM
in reply to: #2855369

User image

Extreme Veteran
 We should develop and market a hand sanitizer for internet usage!!!   

Wilson-- I've got it! Computer condoms! Universal protection from CTDs (cyber-transmitted diseases)! OK, maybe I've stayed up too far past my bedtime...

Just one good stomach flu away from being a good hill climber! 
2010-05-13 4:55 AM
in reply to: #2855526

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Computer condoms !!!!!  LOL, that is TOO funny!!  Somehow I've avoided all you germy cyber people and not gotten sick, it must be my supreme cyber immune system!
2010-05-13 6:01 AM
in reply to: #2855544

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
We've got some racers this weekend, all on Sunday!!!  Please send out inspires...

Turtle and Kory (tstl and kellekl) both have tri's and they both just did one last weekend, WOW!!

Tammy  (TTucker) and I are both doing the Skeese Greets tri .... this is Tammy's FIRST!!!!!!  She is ready and has been training hard!  We'll be having some friendly competition even though we are not in the same AG!

Keep up all the good work everyone!!

2010-05-13 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2855204

User image

Harrison Twp
  1. I know that a half iron man is long and it's crazy to want to do it but i've want to do one for a long time, and i wanted to do it for my 50th birthday. this is one dream I dont' want to back away from. I am trying to find a sprint near me to do this summer to get the feel of one.  
2010-05-13 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2855544

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
hildekq - 2010-05-13 5:55 AM Computer condoms !!!!!  LOL, that is TOO funny!!  Somehow I've avoided all you germy cyber people and not gotten sick, it must be my supreme cyber immune system!

Either that or you've already caught what we're giving out before.  Maybe your computer "gets around" when you're not looking.  Tongue out
2010-05-13 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2855562

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
hildekq - 2010-05-13 7:01 AM We've got some racers this weekend, all on Sunday!!!  Please send out inspires...

Turtle and Kory (tstl and kellekl) both have tri's and they both just did one last weekend, WOW!!

Tammy  (TTucker) and I are both doing the Skeese Greets tri .... this is Tammy's FIRST!!!!!!  She is ready and has been training hard!  We'll be having some friendly competition even though we are not in the same AG!

Wow - what an enthusiastic group.  Best of luck everyone!!

Tammy - you can totally take her.  Bonus inspires from the group if you do! 
2010-05-13 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2855613

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
nina44shell - 2010-05-13 6:57 AM
  1. I know that a half iron man is long and it's crazy to want to do it but i've want to do one for a long time, and i wanted to do it for my 50th birthday. this is one dream I dont' want to back away from. I am trying to find a sprint near me to do this summer to get the feel of one.  

Okay!  What a goal to have for your 50th, you just GO Michele!!  You'll be fine as long as you follow the plan, and what an accomplishment!!  I'm really glad you will be doing a sprint first, that will really give you a feel for the sport as far as where to go and when, how to deal with transitions and all that....  who knows, maybe YOU will inspire ME to do one!!
2010-05-13 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2855670

User image

Veteran
Sulcus - 2010-05-13 8:32 AM
hildekq - 2010-05-13 5:55 AM Computer condoms !!!!!  LOL, that is TOO funny!!  Somehow I've avoided all you germy cyber people and not gotten sick, it must be my supreme cyber immune system!

Either that or you've already caught what we're giving out before.  Maybe your computer "gets around" when you're not looking.  Tongue out

I've steered clear of y'alls (LOL!) sicknesses too. Please, don't share! LOL!

2010-05-13 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hildekq - 2010-05-13 4:01 AM We've got some racers this weekend, all on Sunday!!!  Please send out inspires...

Hilde and Tammy, good luck on your tri this weekend- look forward to the full report!

I decided to bag my little local tri- it's my (10-year old) daughter's first Tri and I just want to be her support crew.

In other news, I signed up with Team in Training to do the Nation's Tri in D.C. this September! It will be my first Oly, and training with a team will make it extra special. Now, all I have to do is raise about 4 grand for Leukemia and Lymphoma! Wish me luck- the training will be the easy part! 

turtle 
2010-05-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2855352

User image

Veteran
There is a FABULOUS website.....http://www.swimsmooth.com/index.html
Check it out....it has helped me A GREAT DEAL!

Tammy
2010-05-13 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
hildekq - 2010-05-13 6:01 AM We've got some racers this weekend, all on Sunday!!!  Please send out inspires...

Go, racers, go!! *cheers and waves pompoms* You're all awesome!!! Enjoy the tris and bask in your accomplishments afterwards!
2010-05-13 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2855526

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2010-05-13 3:02 AM
 We should develop and market a hand sanitizer for internet usage!!!   

Wilson-- I've got it! Computer condoms! Universal protection from CTDs (cyber-transmitted diseases)! OK, maybe I've stayed up too far past my bedtime...

Just one good stomach flu away from being a good hill climber! 

Great idea!! LMAO!!Laughing  Very creative indeed - I like the way you think!!!   
2010-05-13 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2855670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Sulcus - 2010-05-13 8:32 AM

We could really roll with that comment!!!  My MacBook only prefers other Macs due to their hot Aluminum unibody!!!.. haha   

2010-05-13 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2852752

User image

Regular
wsilverthorne - 2010-05-11 9:40 PM I've been completely ignoring this forum, shame on me... just forgot about it - too busy enjoying the inspires!  I just figured out why I suck on hills - I think I have the answer now!!!!  I was reading about cycling etiquette today and stumbled across some good info.  Laughing  In order to be a good hill climber you can't weigh more than 2X your height in inches.  So I'm 6'2" - that is 74" - which results in a weight of 150 freaking pounds.  So I can starve myself for years to hit 150lbs and become a good climber or I can stay a healthy fat 200lbs (my goal for year end) and suck!!!  I'll take the suck! Whew, glad I have the answer to that issue...Surprised  Everything on the internet is true!

Thanks for the laugh!  You have a great sense of humor. 
2010-05-14 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Started my Friday out with an uninspired 5 miler but by the end of the run I had come to the conclusion that just about everything looks better after a workout.   Hope everyone has a good day and feels inspired to go out and do something special!

Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend, and good workouts to everyone else!
2010-05-14 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2858204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Good luck to all the MMM-Mighty Racers this weekend!!!!!  I hope you swim like a graceful dolphin avoiding the fishermen's nets, bike like you're being chased by a swarm of killer bees, and run like a gazelle on crack!!!Yell  In others words I hope you all kick major A$$.  

Wilson 
2010-05-14 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Wilson - I love your wish for the racers.  
2010-05-14 9:41 PM

Hi All, 

Sorry but I have been tied up all week and just got on tonight.  I also add my best wishes to our racers!  We will be with you all the way!  MMM's rule!

On the good news front, this was a great week swimming for me.  I have modified my body position in the water and have reduced my 50 times by over 15 seconds.  To all who are struggling with the swim, I highly recommend finding a coach.  The Masters group I swim with has a Coach who has really provided great training advice and technique drills.  I am looking a little more like a swimmer these days.  I have made the transition from Barge to Tugboat!!!!

I have also taken the plunge this week and registered for my first Tri, The Eagle Lake Triathlon.  It is called a "Super Sprint" and will consist of a 200M Swim, 7 mile bike and 1.5 mile run.  As it is on August 7, I should have the required time to be ready.  I am not worried about the bike and swim but running is still an issue.  I have over 2 months to train and drop some more weight so I am confident this one will not be a problem.  Now I have to decide on a little bigger Sprint to do.  Living in Michigan, I only have until September before we run out of season.  

Glad to see all of the humor in the posts!  The most important thing we can do is have fun!  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2010-05-14 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2857823

User image

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne -   My MacBook only prefers other Macs due to their hot Aluminum unibody!!!.. haha   

... Well, that explains why my MacBook gets so hot when it's supposed to be "sleeping." 
2010-05-14 10:35 PM

User image

Regular
To all of the MMMs who have events tomorrow, GOOD LUCK and enjoy it!
2010-05-15 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2860245

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
mistercdub - 2010-05-14 9:41 PM Hi All, 

Sorry but I have been tied up all week and just got on tonight.  I also add my best wishes to our racers!  We will be with you all the way!  MMM's rule!

On the good news front, this was a great week swimming for me.  I have modified my body position in the water and have reduced my 50 times by over 15 seconds.  To all who are struggling with the swim, I highly recommend finding a coach.  The Masters group I swim with has a Coach who has really provided great training advice and technique drills.  I am looking a little more like a swimmer these days.  I have made the transition from Barge to Tugboat!!!!

I have also taken the plunge this week and registered for my first Tri, The Eagle Lake Triathlon.  It is called a "Super Sprint" and will consist of a 200M Swim, 7 mile bike and 1.5 mile run.  As it is on August 7, I should have the required time to be ready.  I am not worried about the bike and swim but running is still an issue.  I have over 2 months to train and drop some more weight so I am confident this one will not be a problem.  Now I have to decide on a little bigger Sprint to do.  Living in Michigan, I only have until September before we run out of season.  

Glad to see all of the humor in the posts!  The most important thing we can do is have fun!  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Carl, FANTASTIC news on your swim!!  15 seconds off of a 50 is GINORMOUS!  And yea for signing up for your first tri, nothing like having a race on the books to keep you motivated.  You have plenty of time to get ready for that run!!

Thanks for all the well-wishes on Sunday's race!!  I hope to do well, but I am uber competitive and I really do like the cheesy medals!  Even more than that, I want to be there to see Tammy finish her first... I had NO ONE at mine, so that was pretty weird.  (My husband supports my training, but the support doesn't go as far as actually going to any of my races, sigh... what a poopy head!).
2010-05-15 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Good Morning BT Peeps!  I have 2 questions for everyone today.  I have noticed that I get a sinus headache about 500 yards into every swim.  I can continue to swim so it isn't a real problem but I wonder if anyone has ever heard of this or has any ideas on how I can stop this from happening.  My second question is about equipment.  I have a Garmin Forerunner 305.  Its my 2nd Forerunner, I like it but it is begninning to start to act flaky so I know I will need to replace soon.  I have a bike computer and a watch that I can swim in to log my times.   Should I go ahead and get the next generation Forerunner?  Does anyone have a strong opinion about other timing gizmos?  Garmin has a $50.00 rebate right now so I'm getting a new one I will want to act fast (as they say).

Janet
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41