BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-06 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3282095

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
Mike_D - 2011-01-06 10:46 AM In honor of new bike day, I've changed my avatar to show off the new baby

Very nice...  Laughing

2011-01-06 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3283638

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
playmobil31 - 2011-01-06 9:52 PM
Mike_D - 2011-01-06 11:46 AM In honor of new bike day, I've changed my avatar to show off the new baby

Nice avatar Wink

So, just did my 1st swim workout tonight... exhausted !!! Tongue out but feeling good after. 1,200y in 50 minutes... not bad as a start... Wink  but bad idea to do a strenght workout just before... Laughing

Excellent Alex!!!  Laughing
2011-01-07 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
A few notes:

Ail -- For some reason I confused your location w/ Jackie's, hence the LV reference. Need to not post w/o sufficient coffee

Bike is home! Finished the fit last night. One   cool thing - they didn't have a 2010 P2 available in my size, so I now have a brand spankin' new 2011 P2 that is mine all mine. Very cool bike, but I did like the red/white paint on the prior one. This one is mostly black w/ red & white stripe. Can't wait to get it on the road in a couple months. Until then, its trainer time.

Josh - whenever you can come up for air, we'll be here.

Alex -- great job on the swim! lessons & time in the pool will certainly help with your progress.

Dan - how did the run go? Thought you were doing this last night?

I'm feeling good about 2011 -- I've started the week w/ my highest weekly run/swim volume I've ever done, and I have the feeling I can ramp this up over the year.  Very positive outlook!

Cheers! Its Friday!!! Whoo hooo.

Edited by Mike_D 2011-01-07 6:15 AM
2011-01-07 7:19 AM

User image

Athens, GA
did the TT for the run. Get ready to laugh. 3.11 miles (5.01K) in 47m24s for an adv of 15m14s.  Yes I hate running and have not done it in weeks, but I will also throw out that my brain is not back in gear as I put in I wanted to do a 5 K in the treadmill as my goal, so all the readouts changed to K (I am use to seeing them inM) so that messed me up a bit, I thought I was flying in pace and distance but it was all KPH and K so i felt kinda stupid when it went past 3.1 in distance and realized what I had done.  Too late to change my paces to really make up the time. DUHHHHHHH.  Well lesson learned!

But did get a gift this AM when I weighed myself. 10 days of skiing, keeping my body warm, eating extravagant food (a lot of seafood and food I can only get at home), and having a blast doing it all and as a bonus I lost 6 pounds. Oh how I love New England!!!!

Comments:

Mike D- new bike sounds sweet!

Alex-  way to go on the swim, I will be trying tonight not to drown!

And now that I have mastered the inspires I hope to have great comments for all of you.
2011-01-07 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Jackie – Thanks for the spinning explanation.  It’s good to know.  It would be nice to support each other on the weight loss!  

Ailie  - It’s nice to have you back!   I like your sense of humor.  I’m sorry to say this, but I felt relieved when I saw your time.  I did about the same running on pavement before my injury.  No mistake about settings or anything… I’m just veeeery slow.  That’s all LOL.  Even after months of training.  I don’t want to think about my TT when I manage to run again.  Oh well, I will have to start again at some point, won’t I?  Congrats on the weight!  It sounds like you had a healthy and enjoyable holiday.

Mike – That bike sounds terrific!  You lucky thing… I was choosing between a Specialized and a Bianchi.  A group of nice triathletes were helpful in giving me some advice.  Yet, after measuring me it seems that I’m between sizes for the Specialized and that the Bianchi would fit me perfectly but there isn’t a good cycling shop that sells it in Memphis.  I’m back to square one…  It’s good that I’m doing this with so much time in advance.

Enjoy your Friday!!

2011-01-07 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Jackie,
That explanation helps me a lot and makes the training plans i have looked at make more sense. 

Alex .. 1200 yards .. wow that is almost a mile.  Nicely done.

2011-01-07 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Well I finally did my run TT - 28:26, better than what i thought it would be, but just about killed me! between some hills, not much, and the 20 deg weather, lets see the last run I had outside was about a week ago and it was 75, but the scenery on Ocean ave. in kennebunkport is much better than anything in the Middle East!
I am hoping to start the Masters swim class with my Tri Club next week and maybe some spin classes.

starting weight is 235lbs., goal is 215!
2011-01-07 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
What your agenda for this weekend?  Tomorrow I'm swimming in first master swim meet race.  After hoping for a 5 mile run and sunday a long bike run.  Have a great weekend!!!
2011-01-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3284537

User image

Athens, GA
Today the 1000y swim TT

Saturday -  25m run, 600y swim

Sunday- 1h bike, strength training 
2011-01-07 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
For the weekend:

Sat: Fitness boot camp class Sat AM

Sun: Weekly long run (7 mi this week). Then assemble bike trainer and start riding the new rig!
2011-01-07 2:12 PM

User image

Smithtown, Long Island, NY
Saturday - Recovery Day with lots of housework

Sunday - Jiu Jitsu for an hour, probably followed by more housework

I am in the process of trying to sell my house and move to Melbourne, FLA. I took the house off the market for Jan and Feb, so weekends will be full of painting and refurbishing , so I can put the house back up in the Spring.

2011-01-07 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Saturday will be an indoor group ride for 75 mins and sunday will be another run try for 30 min.
Other than that ? shopping ??  
2011-01-07 3:31 PM

Veteran
Either recovery from tonight, or spin class in the morning. lol. Sunday is a group run and grade papers.
2011-01-07 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
I will take this weekend to recover from this week.  My body is telling me things I cannot repeat on the board.
Have a good weekend all.  
2011-01-07 4:40 PM

Veteran
So I have a dilemma. Since I started preparing for triathlons again my times have been really slow. 4 years ago, the last time I really competed and trained, I was down to 9:45/mile pace and weighed 260. When I started 2 mo. ago I was running around 13/mile pace and have dwindled that back down to 11:30ish/mile. I am 10lbs. more than 4 years ago, but was at 280! My heaviest! Should I be happy with the 1.5 min. improvment over the last 2 mo. or should I be worried (angry for a polite word) that I have only gained 1.5 min.? I am only 10 pounds more and don't think it should make a difference. I am 4 years older to though. What are your thoughts? Even my swim went up from 18 strokes to 25 per 25yds. However, last night, in a half hour, a swim coach had me back down to 16 strokes. 8 Strokes gain in half an hour. I was pretty pumped about that. Any feedback would be helpful. Don't have to be nice, I can take it. Sometimes harsh criticism motivates me more.
2011-01-07 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Hey folks sorry for not being around the last couple of days -- been on a short business trip.  Between that, my body still recovering, and a goofy cold took yesterday off.  Debating going downstars and hitting the bike for 1/2 hour.  We'll see.

Planning on getting in the water both days this weekend, run one day, bike the other.

Also got the copy of "The Time Crunched Triathlete" and am about 1/2 way through it.  I'll post some thoughts shortly.  Some good stuff in it, but do think you had better be in pretty solid shape to start the program / could be some risks if you try it too soon.

Glad to see everyone's making progress and enjoying themselves --- didn't recognize Mike when I saw the new avatar!

2011-01-07 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3285478

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
crlarner - 2011-01-07 4:40 PM So I have a dilemma. Since I started preparing for triathlons again my times have been really slow. 4 years ago, the last time I really competed and trained, I was down to 9:45/mile pace and weighed 260. When I started 2 mo. ago I was running around 13/mile pace and have dwindled that back down to 11:30ish/mile. I am 10lbs. more than 4 years ago, but was at 280! My heaviest! Should I be happy with the 1.5 min. improvment over the last 2 mo. or should I be worried (angry for a polite word) that I have only gained 1.5 min.? I am only 10 pounds more and don't think it should make a difference. I am 4 years older to though. What are your thoughts? Even my swim went up from 18 strokes to 25 per 25yds. However, last night, in a half hour, a swim coach had me back down to 16 strokes. 8 Strokes gain in half an hour. I was pretty pumped about that. Any feedback would be helpful. Don't have to be nice, I can take it. Sometimes harsh criticism motivates me more.

Chris- We all have our bad habits when it comes to swim technique and targeting them and cleaning them up can make a HUGE difference. The fact that it only took half an hour to clean up your stroke tells me that you know exactly what to do, you just needed some reminders after a 4 year break.
Same with the running. It's only been 2 months. Which is not a lot of time. How long had you been training when you ran 9:45? I'm gonna guess more than 2 months. I think it has more to do with running fitness/endurance that age and weight. Give yourself time to rebuild you fitness.

I know that feeling of frustration, but I think you are on a good track to getting back there. If I've learned anything from training, I've learned that your two best friends are consistancy and patience.
2011-01-07 9:40 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Planning on doing 2 long outdoor bike rides this weekend. I know it's not ideal to do back to back rides, but I go out with a group of friends who push me and I truly enjoy it. So why not do 2 in a row? Besides, I just got my bike back and now have a computer that shows my cadence so I'm excited to utilize that.

My husband has been out of town this past week with 2 of our 3 kids. He is in Peru visiting family, so he will be gone another 2 weeks. So I am home alone with my 3 year old. Hence, the jogging stroller. I've been able to run, but I've only gotten in 1 day of Jorge's Cycling Plan. So I've decided to repeat week 2 this coming week since I missed most of the workouts. Hopefully this weekend will make up for the missed workouts.
2011-01-07 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

I saw my doctor today and I was told to walk with the aid of a crotch or a cane for 3 days.  I also have to wear a special sock and do some exercises in hot water twice a day for 10 days.  Then I’ll have to see a sports doctor for rehab before I can train again.  So, I think I won’t be able to run or bike much in January, but I will swim soon, I hope. 

I feel a little insecure and it hurts, but I’m NOT walking with a crotch or a cane.  That already makes a difference!  Smile  There are plenty of house chores to do.  Decorations have to come down, and we all have to be ready to come back to school and work on Monday.  Nothing exciting, I’m afraid…  I hope you all enjoy your activities this weekend!

2011-01-08 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3285478

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

crlarner - 2011-01-07 5:40 PM So I have a dilemma. Since I started preparing for triathlons again my times have been really slow. 4 years ago, the last time I really competed and trained, I was down to 9:45/mile pace and weighed 260. When I started 2 mo. ago I was running around 13/mile pace and have dwindled that back down to 11:30ish/mile. I am 10lbs. more than 4 years ago, but was at 280! My heaviest! Should I be happy with the 1.5 min. improvment over the last 2 mo. or should I be worried (angry for a polite word) that I have only gained 1.5 min.? I am only 10 pounds more and don't think it should make a difference. I am 4 years older to though. What are your thoughts? Even my swim went up from 18 strokes to 25 per 25yds. However, last night, in a half hour, a swim coach had me back down to 16 strokes. 8 Strokes gain in half an hour. I was pretty pumped about that. Any feedback would be helpful. Don't have to be nice, I can take it. Sometimes harsh criticism motivates me more.

I agree with Jackie, 2 months is not a long time.  I really focused on running the first part of 2009 and got down to about 9:30.  After a 6 month layoff from July-Dec, I really haven't gotten back to those numbers yet.  Simply because I haven't put in the time like I did before.  I think I was running close to 20 miles a week in Jan, Feb, Mar of 09.  The good news is the answer is easy, the semi bad news is the answer is it just takes time and effort.  It also looks like you have had some issues running the past couple of times.  Are you fully healthy?

2011-01-08 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3286006

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

itziaol - 2011-01-07 11:52 PM

I saw my doctor today and I was told to walk with the aid of a crotch or a cane for 3 days.  I also have to wear a special sock and do some exercises in hot water twice a day for 10 days.  Then I’ll have to see a sports doctor for rehab before I can train again.  So, I think I won’t be able to run or bike much in January, but I will swim soon, I hope. 

I feel a little insecure and it hurts, but I’m NOT walking with a crotch or a cane.  That already makes a difference!  Smile  There are plenty of house chores to do.  Decorations have to come down, and we all have to be ready to come back to school and work on Monday.  Nothing exciting, I’m afraid…  I hope you all enjoy your activities this weekend!

You should PM Aquagirl if you have any questions.  She is a good friend of mine.  She is coming off knee surgery and has been through the whole crutches and starting to walk again.  Plus she will know what you might be able to do for exercise.

2011-01-08 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
did the first 35 km of the Ironman Canada on a computrainer this morning... Felt good and really enjoyed it
But, the reeally good news is that I ran yesterday for 20 min without feeling anything on my knee
...so, is it the light at the end of the tunnel

Feeling in the right mood now !

Itzia - I'm sure it will be fine for your recovery. I know what you might feel (even if it was just 1% of what you might had) but keep looking forward, and you know that you will feel very good when you will cross the finish line of your tris
2011-01-08 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Woke up with cold worse feeling like shXX / chest all congested.  Figured I'd give it a go as two days off in a row had me itchy to get back at it AND my muscles were actually feeling really good.  Worked in to the swim nice and easy and actually did 1150 yards.  While the distance was nice, was even more pleased with my "comfort level" -- the pool had one of 8 lanes open for laps with the rest of the pool swarmed with munchkins taking swim lessons.  Shared the lane with two others and had to stop and sink a few times to make sure we didn't crash.  BUT was able to get horizontal/find my balance and get right back on track.  Still am slow, but my comfort level is increasing with each swim session and I'm optimistic that will translate in to better form / faster times.   Headed over to the treadmills, waited my turn and then jumped on with the plan of a 10 minute pace.  Felt slow so I dialed up to 9:15 / 6.5mph.  Legs felt great through out / made my 30 minutes.

Got a huge lesson here in the importance of time off.  While it was a nice goal to exercise every day in January, I over did it.  With the time off this past week I was able to perform better today even though I'm under the weather.  Over the next two weeks I'll be working in to a formal plan.  Had been planning on the olympic plan, but now leaning towards the time crunched triathlete sprint program.  I'll share some details on it shortly.  It's a really neat concept -- 4 days each week, not that much time, train at endurance pace, but mix in high intensity intervals during the endurance training.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday.

2011-01-08 1:15 PM

Veteran
Have a little bit of a head cold, but nothing to slow me down. I think pushing this weight around is getting to my head. I need to regroup, focus, and discipline myself to work harder.
2011-01-08 2:14 PM

User image

Athens, GA
I am sorry that some of you guys are having colds and such (Marcus, Chris).  I have had three weeks of colds and stomach flu. I hated taking the time off, but was under the impression that rest was more important for my overall health and just tryied to calm down my mind about slacking off. It has been a bit strange getting back into the pool and on the bike/ treadmill. But what are new years for.

Chris- As for trying to better your times, I would love to drop my down a bit on all fronts, but figure it just comes in waves and in time in will pay off.  It least that is what I keep telling myself.

? for all in the group - I am doing the Winter Maintenance Plan 4 to 7h -20 week plan. Has anyone got any experience with this plan? There are days that I feel like I should be doing more than what I have down, but the next plan up said it would be used for those that are doing longer distances that I plan to do this coming season.  I don't plan on doing anything longer than a sprint right now, solely based on my crap run time.  No need to do a 10k until I can do a better pace on a 5k......

Last night did 1000y in 26m09s or splits or 2m37s splits Undecided 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38