BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-06-04 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED

Hey all, How is the weekend going so far?

Had a great training today with a couple of friends. We did a 64 mile ride that included 3 10 minute intervals at 1 hour time trial pace at the start. This is the type of training I did most of last year, and it has been a while.

I felt great, good nutrition, good pace and good hydration. Even went for a 30 minute run after, and still felt good.

Looks like my 2 weeks mostly off weren't that bad.

Next weekend a group of us are heading to Clermont, FL for a 60+ mile ride on the closest thing there is to hills around here. I will be riding with a few friends who are doing the Great Floridian with me in October, so there is sure to be some trash talk.

I am hoping to get in a swim and some time on the elliptical tomorrow. I am going to slowly work my run back up to see if my achilles holds up.

Also planning a nice 50 mile ride with my wife tomorrow evening.

With any luck, I will be able to walk on Monday.

2011-06-05 8:09 PM

User image

NH

That looks awesome Eli, you're really cranking.

I had a crappy weekend after my ride up to the lake on Sat. morning.  Well, a crappy tri weekend anyway.

The short version is that I didn’t get any other S/B/R in, and my Achilles is now sore even walking.  The long version involves a tree branch accident, some minor boat problems, a work blow up, and some other whiney details.

The Achilles isn’t debilitating, just sore which it hasn’t been before other than right after running lately.  I have a 5k scheduled for Thursday, and my tri is in two weeks.  I am scheduled to see my ART guy tomorrow, so hopefully he’ll find and work out something in my calf, but I’m just frustrated.  Should I at least try to bike through this (biking doesn’t seem to bother it at all) and see where the races lead me?

2011-06-05 9:25 PM

User image

Master

Warren, if it is sore walking, and waking up, and when you sit for too long, go into rehab mode RIGHT NOW. You do not want to be where I am, 2 years in with achilles problems.

Start icing it every day for at least 10 minutes 2 times a day. I like to use frozen peas.

Wear KT tape, or an equivalent, when you run. This seems to help mine a tremendous amount. It lasts 3 or 4 days if you put it on right, even through swimming.

Stretch every day-wall stretch is very good. Foam roll your calves as well, after doing some warmup or after a workout.

Also, I have found that eccentric calve raises (basically dropping your hell off the side of a step) helps as well.

Get on it now, and try to take it easy as you taper, and you can probably get it to go away in 2 or 3 weeks. 2 weeks of advil may or may not help, I have had mixed results.

A friend did this as soon as he had pain, and was fine in less than a month. I waited too long, and made an acute injury into a chronic one.

2011-06-05 9:27 PM

User image

Master

OK, now that my emergency broadcast message for Warren is done, how was the weekend?

I went kayaking with my daughter today, and think I need to do that more often. We rented a tandem, that could easily have sat 3 of us. I could let my wife and daughter kayak and swim behind them for a while. That may be my new open water plan.

We also rode for 3 hours this afternoon. It was a great cool-down ride for me, although I may have gotten a little too much sun today.

Overall, a great weekend!

2011-06-05 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3533981

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2011-06-05 10:25 PM

Warren, if it is sore walking, and waking up, and when you sit for too long, go into rehab mode RIGHT NOW. You do not want to be where I am, 2 years in with achilles problems.

Start icing it every day for at least 10 minutes 2 times a day. I like to use frozen peas.

Wear KT tape, or an equivalent, when you run. This seems to help mine a tremendous amount. It lasts 3 or 4 days if you put it on right, even through swimming.

Stretch every day-wall stretch is very good. Foam roll your calves as well, after doing some warmup or after a workout.

Also, I have found that eccentric calve raises (basically dropping your hell off the side of a step) helps as well.

Get on it now, and try to take it easy as you taper, and you can probably get it to go away in 2 or 3 weeks. 2 weeks of advil may or may not help, I have had mixed results.

A friend did this as soon as he had pain, and was fine in less than a month. I waited too long, and made an acute injury into a chronic one.

Thanks for those tips Eli.  I definitely plan to get after this immediately, so I can use all that advice.  Do you do the taping yourself?  I actually have a PT who helps me out (she got me involved in this silly sport so she better help out!) and I may go see her tomorrow for a first taping and some instructions, but I'd prefer not to have to stop by there every week.

2011-06-06 10:11 AM

User image

Master

Warren, I do the taping myself. Once you do it a couple of times, it is pretty easy.

They have instructions online at the KT tape website, and there are some alternative methods.

One system has you put one strip from under the heel up the center of the calf and then a second strip around the heel.

The other does one strip under the heel and up the center of the calf and the second starts just about at the achilles/ankle and then splits as it goes up so one tongue is on the left and one on the right.

2011-06-06 6:46 PM

User image

NH

Thanks, I'm getting some tape and I'll give it a shot.  My PT friend's site also has video of taping every imaginable body part - who knew?  The ART guy did some nice work around the Achilles.  There were some pretty painful spots on the outside of my calf.  He said the tendon itself is not typically the issue but that there is so little blood flow through the tendon it heals very slowly.

I'm on a low-no running plan other than races, icing or heel ice baths, and some stretches and exercises.  I did you heel drops today and that will also remain on the plan. 

He said pain is the decision maker - if it hurts, don't do anything which hurts.  I'm thinking I may try an elliptical - I've never used it but there's a few at work so I may exchange some lunch runs with elliptical.  I forgot to ask the doc, but it seems like it should be ok. Any thoughts on that?

2011-06-06 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3534670

User image

Regular

I disappeared for a while my ankle had some problems. Pain on the inner maleolous of my left ankle both on the bone and surrounding tendons it could have been multiple things, 3 hard workouts in a row, my bike shoes are a little on the small side, pushing off the walls of the pool too hard... who knows! But its on its way back to recovery so...

I did 20 tonight on the bike averaged 21.9 with some head and cross winds, had a group of 4 lost one to a tube gone down. I did one pull with a tail wind in the last couple miles since the guys I ride with are usually over my head they let me sit on their wheels the whole way. Then they whipped it up to 26-27 in the last mile and I hung on for dear life so that was fun. Came home and sat by the toilet but didn't throw up, sometimes I think I could ride till my heart explodes and not realize till I slow down.

2011-06-06 8:16 PM

User image

Parker, CO

I did my 1st Triathlon last Saturday - I believe i'm still on super high. It was great, 750meter  OWS - 17 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. I am a Clyde and finished 5th out of 13. The 1st 2 guys would have placed in most of the AG's - jeez. I'm pretty happy about it. I have to work on bricks more as the hardest part for me was the transition between disciplines. Took me about 3 miles to feel comfortable on the bike and then about 1/2 mile to feel good running. I'd have to admit it was pretty surreal. Got hit a little on the swim - did kick someone pretty hard too, sorry if your reading this! Almost got taken out by a jet ski (being driven by a lifeguard, not sure what he was thinking). I now know what it sounds like to be passed by a full on double disc Tri bike (I am riding a road bike, no aero). Had a buddy in town who took lots of pictures - want to remember the 1st time.

Mostly I think about that if you would have told me 4 years ago that I would be a Triathlete in 4 years I would have thought you were crazy (as I was 270 pounds and hadn't worked out in 18 years). Even 10 months ago I was 240 and still hadn't worked out. Caught the crazy idea to do a Tri and worked hard for 9 months, dropped down to my present 207 (I'm 6'7") and it led to last Saturday - what a day! I have already registered for 4 more this summer so now its time to get faster...

Sorry about the rambling post, I pretty much can't contain myself - thanks for reading!

2011-06-07 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3535977

User image

Regular

Sometimes raceday staff and support crews try to do heroic things and by heroic I mean stupid... As for needing to do more bricks I think most triathletes say the same thing after each race, "I wish I'd done more bricks"...but bricks are very demanding on the body so pay attention to how you feel while you're training and listen to your body.

mleaverton - 2011-06-06 9:16 PM

I did my 1st Triathlon last Saturday - I believe i'm still on super high. It was great, 750meter  OWS - 17 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. I am a Clyde and finished 5th out of 13. The 1st 2 guys would have placed in most of the AG's - jeez. I'm pretty happy about it. I have to work on bricks more as the hardest part for me was the transition between disciplines. Took me about 3 miles to feel comfortable on the bike and then about 1/2 mile to feel good running. I'd have to admit it was pretty surreal. Got hit a little on the swim - did kick someone pretty hard too, sorry if your reading this! Almost got taken out by a jet ski (being driven by a lifeguard, not sure what he was thinking). I now know what it sounds like to be passed by a full on double disc Tri bike (I am riding a road bike, no aero). Had a buddy in town who took lots of pictures - want to remember the 1st time.

Mostly I think about that if you would have told me 4 years ago that I would be a Triathlete in 4 years I would have thought you were crazy (as I was 270 pounds and hadn't worked out in 18 years). Even 10 months ago I was 240 and still hadn't worked out. Caught the crazy idea to do a Tri and worked hard for 9 months, dropped down to my present 207 (I'm 6'7") and it led to last Saturday - what a day! I have already registered for 4 more this summer so now its time to get faster...

Sorry about the rambling post, I pretty much can't contain myself - thanks for reading!

2011-06-08 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3535977

User image

NH
mleaverton - 2011-06-06 9:16 PM

It doesn't get better than reading this!  Congratulations on a tone of levels, and ramble on TRIATHLETE, ramble on.  (But get those race reports done!)

2011-06-08 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3535864

User image

Master
grownassman161 - 2011-06-06 6:51 PM

I disappeared for a while my ankle had some problems. Pain on the inner maleolous of my left ankle both on the bone and surrounding tendons it could have been multiple things, 3 hard workouts in a row, my bike shoes are a little on the small side, pushing off the walls of the pool too hard... who knows! But its on its way back to recovery so...

I did 20 tonight on the bike averaged 21.9 with some head and cross winds, had a group of 4 lost one to a tube gone down. I did one pull with a tail wind in the last couple miles since the guys I ride with are usually over my head they let me sit on their wheels the whole way. Then they whipped it up to 26-27 in the last mile and I hung on for dear life so that was fun. Came home and sat by the toilet but didn't throw up, sometimes I think I could ride till my heart explodes and not realize till I slow down.

I love riding so fast. It feels invigorating. Like you said, when you stop, you feel like you might explode. A little of this goes a long way!

2011-06-08 4:30 PM

User image

Master

Way to go on your first race! What a great feeling. Reading your post makes me want to go and race!!!

I have to say, I really like bricks, but mostly do short runs after the bike just to get in additional mileage. I usually stick to one or two "longer" or "Race rehearsal" bricks to stress test the body. Those can take a lot out of you.

I got in a couple of good days of working out, even though I am on the road, so I am heading home feeling good.

Looking forward to me first attempt at the hills in clermont florida. Wish me luck!!!

2011-06-08 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3539645

User image

Regular

I've only heard stories of the hills in Clermont...!!! Just kidding good luck!

eliwashere - 2011-06-08 5:30 PM

Way to go on your first race! What a great feeling. Reading your post makes me want to go and race!!!

I have to say, I really like bricks, but mostly do short runs after the bike just to get in additional mileage. I usually stick to one or two "longer" or "Race rehearsal" bricks to stress test the body. Those can take a lot out of you.

I got in a couple of good days of working out, even though I am on the road, so I am heading home feeling good.

Looking forward to me first attempt at the hills in clermont florida. Wish me luck!!!

2011-06-09 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3539645

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2011-06-08 5:30 PM

Good luck billy goat man!  Seriously, when you're ready for some hills, you have an invitation up for a circum-Lake Winny ride.  Leave the tri bike and your ego at home though!  Just kidding Eli, enjoy the ride.  Hills are awesome bike training.  Embrace the pain.

2011-06-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3535864

User image

NH
grownassman161 - 2011-06-06 7:51 PM

I've never really ridden in a group, so I have no idea how much difference that makes, but that's some serious speed!  When I see 21.9 I know I'm going down a pretty good hill.  Awesome ride.

2011-06-10 9:59 AM

User image

NH

Last night's race was a blast.  The skies opened up about an hour before the race - it was Biblical.  Thunder and lightning, hail, torrential rain, winds.  Then it all ended, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees, and it was actually fine for the race.  It was still very humid, but only about 75.

I did a nice warmup to get the Achilles loose (about 2.5 miles with some strides), and it worked.  The race itself went fine, the Achilles felt fine the entire race but was pretty sore afterwards.  I finished in 22:11, a huge PR for me.  It was definitely a flat/downhill course, though some others said with the humidity their times were not much faster than they typically run.  I didn't leave a lot on the course as I was seeing stars at the end.  I guess that's about all I have in my run fitness right now.  Overall I'm very pleased with the effort and the Achilles.  Miles were 7:20, 6:53, 6:58.  Race report here.

I got a chance to talk with the winner who came in from Chicago and was hoping to go sub 14 on a bet (his PR is 14:25), and he ran 15:14.  He was disappointed with 4:55 miles!  Oh well, it's all relative.

2011-06-10 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Hey Everybody -   I have been lurking for awhile put not posting but I have a questions I think the group will be able to help me with.

Last weekend I did my first longish Brick and I tried out my first ideas for my nutrition plan for my HIM in July.  I was thinking of going with an all liquid plan using heed, and perpetuem.  First problem, I thought the perpetuem tasted like crap.  Couldn't imagine using that as my main source of fuel cause I couldn't force myself to drink it.

This being the case I am trying to figure out what I should try next.  I have eaten Bagels while riding in the past, they have about 250 Calories contain a modest amount of protein and would seem like a reasonable source.  My concern is will I be able to effectively turn that food into fuel to burn while finishing my ride, and getting my run started.

I am fairly nervous about the nutrition thing, so any suggestions and I would be all ears.   I have read alot of the threads in the main forums but wanted your guys opinion.

I have my first tri of the season on Saturday, I'll let you know how I do.  I am a little dissapointed though as I am the coach for my son's Little League team, and wouldn't you know it the league decided to play a play - off game that morning.  Now I am torn as to my desire to coach the team in what will likely be the last game of the season, or do the race I have been excited about doing since January.  Crap!!

2011-06-10 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3542506

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Warren - Great Race!!  That is blazing fast and your right it is all relative, as I will be pumped the 1st time I go under 30 minutes for a 5K.
2011-06-11 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

First Tri of the season is in the books.  I am happy with the results.  Next up, Musselman July 17th.  ughh  Not sure how I will run 13 miles after biking 56.

Race Report:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by chmoore2 2011-06-11 4:41 PM

2011-06-12 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3542506

User image

Master
wbayek - 2011-06-10 9:59 AM

Last night's race was a blast.  The skies opened up about an hour before the race - it was Biblical.  Thunder and lightning, hail, torrential rain, winds.  Then it all ended, the temperature dropped about 20 degrees, and it was actually fine for the race.  It was still very humid, but only about 75.

I did a nice warmup to get the Achilles loose (about 2.5 miles with some strides), and it worked.  The race itself went fine, the Achilles felt fine the entire race but was pretty sore afterwards.  I finished in 22:11, a huge PR for me.  It was definitely a flat/downhill course, though some others said with the humidity their times were not much faster than they typically run.  I didn't leave a lot on the course as I was seeing stars at the end.  I guess that's about all I have in my run fitness right now.  Overall I'm very pleased with the effort and the Achilles.  Miles were 7:20, 6:53, 6:58.  Race report here.

I got a chance to talk with the winner who came in from Chicago and was hoping to go sub 14 on a bet (his PR is 14:25), and he ran 15:14.  He was disappointed with 4:55 miles!  Oh well, it's all relative.

Warren, 

Nice time! That is some fast running my friend!!!!

2011-06-12 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3543462

User image

Master
chmoore2 - 2011-06-10 10:04 PM

Hey Everybody -   I have been lurking for awhile put not posting but I have a questions I think the group will be able to help me with.

Last weekend I did my first longish Brick and I tried out my first ideas for my nutrition plan for my HIM in July.  I was thinking of going with an all liquid plan using heed, and perpetuem.  First problem, I thought the perpetuem tasted like crap.  Couldn't imagine using that as my main source of fuel cause I couldn't force myself to drink it.

This being the case I am trying to figure out what I should try next.  I have eaten Bagels while riding in the past, they have about 250 Calories contain a modest amount of protein and would seem like a reasonable source.  My concern is will I be able to effectively turn that food into fuel to burn while finishing my ride, and getting my run started.

I am fairly nervous about the nutrition thing, so any suggestions and I would be all ears.   I have read alot of the threads in the main forums but wanted your guys opinion.

Charlie, 

Nutrition on a half-iron is important. I know I like to have a snickers bar in T1 before I get on the bike to fill some of the whole in my stomach after the swim.

I actually like perpetuem, but many people don't. Have you tried any other product? HEED, Accelerade, etc? Also, if there are gels you like, you can do 3 gels an hour on the bike.

2011-06-13 6:51 AM

User image

Ocala
Well, it is not looking promising folks.  I went for a shop ride Saturday with my LBS and about 11 miles in, something went wrong in my left knee.  I couldn't even turn the pedals with my left leg.  I spent 20 minutes on the side of the road trying to call my fiance to come pick me up, but she never got the calls, so i had to ride back, 12 miles, to my truck with a bum knee.  I have been icing and heating it, but it feels like crap, and my first Sprint is on Sunday.  I am no doctor, but by the looks of WebMD, i think it is my ACL.  Anybody have any ideas on how I can still run my race on Sunday, or am I out $65 bucks, and going to have to postpone my becoming a triathlete another month or 2?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  When I bend my knee, I get some serious pain in the outside of my left knee.  It seems to be the muscle or tendon that helps me bend it.  If it is straight, it doesn't hurt.
2011-06-13 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Colby - With that kind of pain I would get in to see a doctor ASAP.  I have no idea what it could be but you want to make sure you can't do further damage before trying any training or racing.  Easy for me to say this but it is better to get well now to allow you to do more races in the future, than to risk not being to ever race.
2011-06-13 8:13 AM

User image

NH
Colby, definitely go see a doc asap.  If something happened and the pain came on quickly, it's not likely something like IT band or a typical overuse injury.  There's not a lot of structural stuff on the outside of the knee, but it still sounds like something which needs a professional view.  Don't risk a long term problem because you don't want to miss the tri. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20