BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-15 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3448556

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - FULL like whoa!

Johanne- this is a constant question in my mind, it seems!  Think of each workout as an experience that you bank into your memory.  If it was a good workout-what made it good?  If it was a bad workout-what made it bad?  Over time, you'll develop a pattern that you can see if you keep track in your training logs.  Then, on a day when you're on the fence you can go back and look at a similar situation and try to make a decision based on your past experiences.

What kind of past experiences?

Well... if you're feeling sick today (stomach ache, headache, fatigue, etc)...what did you do in the past and how did it turn out?

If you're just plain busy today...what did you do in the past on a busy day and how did you feel mentally and physically after?  Did you feel more energized if you squoze in a workout?  Did you miss having the mental break from other obligations?

What if you're trying to decide between a swim/bike/run/yoga/horseback riding/zumba/tai chi/rock climbing, etc?  That's something that you can look back and see what decisions you made OR you can look ahead and see what decisions you SHOULD be making.

Example... what I learned from Ironman training, but more importantly, Ironman racing, was that it is very important to do what you can now to make the future better.  Whether it is 10 minutes from now, 10 hours from now, 10 days from now, etc.  If you think that your body is tired today, but you want to work out then choose something easy on your body, like light spinning or easy swimming.  If you've been moderately exercising, but are deficient in putting in an honest-to-goodness-kick-your-azz workout then it's probably a good idea to throw that in there to build your strength/speed/endurance to have better workouts in the future.

Chronic fatigue is not okay.  So, if you see a pattern that you are always in pain or always tired then it is truly a good idea to take a break.  Otherwise, carry on and train, baby, train!

50andgettingfit - 2011-04-15 11:42 AM

So in rereading this long saga......I'm taking the day off! I have the long bike tomorrow and looking ahead I have some fun workouts coming up so I'm going to give myself a break and look forward to the next workouts. I'd still like to get peoples take on how you handle the ups and downs of training.

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2011-04-15 12:18 PM

2011-04-15 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida

Finally got a workout in this week.  I just got back from drowning swimming and it sucked.  I have lost everything I gained last summer.

I'm not sure if it is the size of the pool. Last year I swam in a 25yd pool, this year I'm using a 50m pool.  My workout today was from Sara's Log.  My form is horrible and I hold my breath.

For whatever reason, when I exhale in the water, I don't feel like I'm getting enough air when I breathe.

Guess it's a good thing my first Tri is only a 200m swim, and I think the Oly will have to wait until next year.

Sorry for the vent, but I had high hopes for this year.

2011-04-15 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3449030

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
jayhawkrichie - 2011-04-15 2:01 PM

Finally got a workout in this week.  I just got back from drowning swimming and it sucked.  I have lost everything I gained last summer.

I'm not sure if it is the size of the pool. Last year I swam in a 25yd pool, this year I'm using a 50m pool.  My workout today was from Sara's Log.  My form is horrible and I hold my breath.

For whatever reason, when I exhale in the water, I don't feel like I'm getting enough air when I breathe.

Guess it's a good thing my first Tri is only a 200m swim, and I think the Oly will have to wait until next year.

Sorry for the vent, but I had high hopes for this year.

How long until the Oly?  Don't give up!!!  Go get some lessons or a masters program or a coach, and get the form back, and go kick that Oly's a**!!!  You can do this!!
2011-04-15 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3449030

User image

Master
Dunedin
jayhawkrichie - 2011-04-15 3:01 PM

Hey Tim,

Never fear.  Try kicking like Superman-arms out in front.  Try to kick six times and pick your head straight up (looking forward) to breathe and then put your head back in the water and continue kicking like Superman.  Start with 25 yards and then rest.  Work your way up to 100 yards of doing this comfortably and without stopping.  There's no sense in practicing your swimming if you feel like you're floundering.  You can even switch to kicking with a kickboard.  Build that core strength so that you can support your breathing, kicking and pulling.

2011-04-15 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3449225

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida

I'm going to start doing this tomorrow in my neighborhood pool.  It isn't 25 yards, but it is free.

Thanks.

2011-04-15 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
First Leg done. 55:44 7.23 miles. 90 degrees boy is it hot. Hope everyone is well.

2011-04-15 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Feel like a slug after reading about all of you guys efforts.  I slept through the AM swim, but did stop by the pool on the way home.  Did 10 x 100 yards on 3 minutes.  Was completing them around 2:20.  Tried to "hear" my breathing like Sara advised, but think I'm tone deaf!!!!!  Seriously, I can tell that the form and breathing are still killing me.  Need to figure out how to relax AND keep the core tight.  Hoping to get in 2 swims, a bike, a run, and a round of golf this weekend.

Keep the tips / experiences coming -- so much of what you are all going through matches what I'm experiencing / helps to know that others are drowning swimming, biking, and running with me.

2011-04-15 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3449238

User image

Expert
San Jose

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-15 1:31 PM First Leg done. 55:44 7.23 miles. 90 degrees boy is it hot. Hope everyone is well.

I must of missed an earlier post about this race. Is this a relay that you are doing? Where/what is it? Great job on the first leg. You are speedy!

2011-04-16 2:14 AM
in reply to: #3449580

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
50andgettingfit - 2011-04-15 5:40 PM

cbarnes1 - 2011-04-15 1:31 PM First Leg done. 55:44 7.23 miles. 90 degrees boy is it hot. Hope everyone is well.

I must of missed an earlier post about this race. Is this a relay that you are doing? Where/what is it? Great job on the first leg. You are speedy!

Midnight and done with leg two. 8.43 miles. This is a relay from LA to San Diego 200 miles. I have one more leg at 8am 10 miles. Holding up well but a couple blisters.
2011-04-16 3:29 AM

Extreme Veteran

Walked 1.15 miles today - the first .69 only took 13:xx so it was possibly too fast (although I could still talk so it mustn't have been too bad)  and then the second part involved hills so it was a pretty good workout

2011-04-16 3:34 AM
in reply to: #3449809

Extreme Veteran
Cbarnes - Great work on the race. Hope the next leg goes well

2011-04-16 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Got off my backside -- thanks for the KITA Mike! -- and headed to the Y for an AM swim.  Decided to do 1000 yards straight.  Time was 28:49 (2:42, 3:05, 2:59, 2:58, 2:54, 2:48, 2:52, 2:51, 2:49, 2:45).  While my PR is at 28:00, think this may have been the best I've ever done as I did not push / stretch myself.  Simply relaxed and took my time.  Around 500 yards, found myself breathing easy / seeming to get plenty of air.  Result was that I had no muscle fatigue and it was "easy".  Could tell my form was pretty ugly, but did not worry about that as I wanted to enjoy actually getting air versus fighting.  Think that I'm really close to a big improvement in the pool.  Believe that muscles are starting to get developed; and, with my increase in confidence, I'll start to see the times drop.

Hoping to get a run in this PM / will be shooting for my 4.7 mile route at a 10 minute / easy pace.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday.

2011-04-16 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3447607

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-14 7:14 PM
itziaol - 2011-04-13 9:26 PM

OWS… my first triathlon will take place where a river pours out into the sea, that’s what Boca del Río means.  These waters are very brown and you can’t see a thing precisely because it’s where the river and the sea meet.  I have no experience swimming at a place like that.  I just hope it’s not polluted… 

The other tri I plan to do is in Huatulco, where the sea is a bit rough but beautifully clean.  I have no idea how I would feel competing in the sea, although my father always swam with me to the buoys from a very early age when we were on holiday and I’ve continued to do that on my own.  I guess it’s just a question of remembering his words:

“The sea will let you be in it if you accept that it is too powerful for you challenge it.  Never fight the sea.  Take it’s waves swimming in the direction you want to go to when it allows you to do it, and rest when it takes you another way.”

Is anybody else swimming in the sea? 

One of the places I will be swimming is a large lake is just a little bit icky Tongue out.  That is why I will definitely wear a wetsuit.  Don't want any creatures touching me.

Where you are swimming your second race sounds beautiful.  I have been to Cozumel 2x's and the water was so clear and beautiful.  It had a lot of pretty big waves though.  Will you be getting any OWS in before the race?

Cozumel... wonderful!  Nothing like the Caribean.  Huatulco is a very beautiful place, I highly recommend it too.  I has 8 bays and it’s very clean.  I was there last july.  The closest beach to Cuernavaca is Acapulco.  I hope to be able to go there at least once before the race, but I doubt that I’ll be able to…

Have a lovely day!

2011-04-16 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3447646

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-14 7:36 PM
itziaol - 2011-04-13 10:53 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-13 8:54 PM
itziaol - 2011-04-13 9:26 PM

Is anybody else swimming in the sea? 

Confession.  I don't like OWS because of the critters!  I have a hard time swimming in the murky waters near me because I don't know how big the fish are or where the snapping turtles are-I'm POSITIVE they want to nibble on me!  So, I have vowed not to do an ocean swim.  I'm afraid a crab or shark will bite my toes off.

LOL  That's not very engouraging!!  LOL  The truth is that I'd be worried about sharks rather than anything else!!!  I might be losing a bit more than a toe!!!  Tongue out

Mike – I see you are showing off the dungeon of doom.

Chet – I hope your daughter gets better

Sara – Thank you, the meeting went excellent.  I dared, and It worked.

Lori – Thanks.  Congrats on the new bike and club.  We’ll need a photo of the bike though…  :-)

All -  I read your experiences in OWS and I wonder how I’ll do… I hadn’t worried much about it.  Maybe I should prepare myself with more practice as some of you suggested.  Thanks!

I rode with the team this afternoon.  I’m the newest member, and the oldest woman training today.  On Wednesdays we do a 20km ride from Cuernavaca up a mountain.  Temperature and vegetation change as we go up.  Today we started at 102F(39 C).  April and May are the hottest months of the year here.

For the first time I overtook 3 members of the team and then they stopped at 10K.  I went on while they were taking their bikes on the team’s trailer.  I could have gone up that mountain... but they catched up with me at 13Km just as I was about to take the “pera”.  The most famous curve in Mexico because it’s shaped as a pair and it’s very dangerous.  I wish they hadn’t made me stop and get on the team's van, but we have to think of team A who was already at the top of the mountain feeling a little cold.  Getting there was a milestone for me... so much is going on at the moment, that I could feel my heart peddaling rather than my legs...  I just kept thinking "I can do this, just as I can do everything else!!"

Good night!!  Smile

Itzia, sounds like you had an awesome ride!  It shows you are improving when you start passing others and I'm sure it felt great.  It also sounds like pretty tough terrain; heat and hills.  So congrats on both accounts!Smile

Thanks!  and thank you for the comment on the avatar pic.  I'd love to swim at a Michigan lake one day...  Smile

2011-04-16 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I was in Cozumel a couple months ago. The water was spectacular, and it was fun to swim there!
2011-04-16 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Last Leg done. 9.76 miles. The team did well and we are having a great time. Everyone have a great weekend.

2011-04-16 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Headed out for a run prior to lunch.   Goal was to run nice and easy at a 10 minute pace.  Took my time and relaxed.  Felt very strong and solid / could tell I was running WAY below 10 minutes.  Result was an "easy" 8:56 pace for 4.7 miles (42:01 total).  Very pleased that I'm starting to feel like I have some strength in all of the disciplines.  Not patient by nature and it's been frustrating working on building a base.  Nice to see it starting to pay off.

2011-04-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3450186

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-04-16 12:55 PM

Headed out for a run prior to lunch.   Goal was to run nice and easy at a 10 minute pace.  Took my time and relaxed.  Felt very strong and solid / could tell I was running WAY below 10 minutes.  Result was an "easy" 8:56 pace for 4.7 miles (42:01 total).  Very pleased that I'm starting to feel like I have some strength in all of the disciplines.  Not patient by nature and it's been frustrating working on building a base.  Nice to see it starting to pay off.

Curt, that is freakin' fantastic!! Nice work!! Just look back to where you were when the last mentor group started - you've come a long way, and all the work is paying off. Hey, Itzia -- we have a budding superstar here . Hopefully he'll let us still hang out w/him once he's off doing IM's all the time

Mike

2011-04-16 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Yeah right -- you know this is all about the ups and downs!  So frustrating that you can't bottle days like today and keep them going.  That said, I'm being realistic about the whole thing.  Only started endurance sports last year and I'm fully expecting it to take 2-3 years before I'm comfortable.  It's nice to see it coming together a bit, but there is so far to go.  The new groups been a big help -- folks pushing, offering ideas that work and generally supportive.  Thing I've been so impressed with in the triathlon area is how supportive folks are to each other.

Regarding the IM thing, can't ever see it.  Could see Olympic length and MAYBE a HIM.  But the full  IM seems to be brutal on your body.  Not doing this to hurt myself!!!  As long as you and Itzia stay nice, I'll let you hang out with me.  HeXX I can't you off with your silence of the lambs dungeon don't know what the reprecussions would be.  And Itzia's my Spanish teacher so have to keep her around!

2011-04-16 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3449814

Extreme Veteran
suzielea - 2011-04-16 3:29 AM

Walked 1.15 miles today - the first .69 only took 13:xx so it was possibly too fast (although I could still talk so it mustn't have been too bad)  and then the second part involved hills so it was a pretty good workout. Just worked out that I didn't start the timing till .13 miles which probably explains why I was so fast on the first section. I used the .13 miles as a warm up but it wasn't much of one so I'm counting the whole lot

2011-04-16 5:10 PM

Extreme Veteran

Great work everyone- I look forward to hearing about your next lot of adventures

2011-04-16 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3450298

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-04-16 3:17 PM

Yeah right -- you know this is all about the ups and downs!  So frustrating that you can't bottle days like today and keep them going.  That said, I'm being realistic about the whole thing.  Only started endurance sports last year and I'm fully expecting it to take 2-3 years before I'm comfortable.  It's nice to see it coming together a bit, but there is so far to go.  The new groups been a big help -- folks pushing, offering ideas that work and generally supportive.  Thing I've been so impressed with in the triathlon area is how supportive folks are to each other.

Regarding the IM thing, can't ever see it.  Could see Olympic length and MAYBE a HIM.  But the full  IM seems to be brutal on your body.  Not doing this to hurt myself!!!  As long as you and Itzia stay nice, I'll let you hang out with me.  HeXX I can't you off with your silence of the lambs dungeon don't know what the reprecussions would be.  And Itzia's my Spanish teacher so have to keep her around!

LOL. Just a bit of chianti & fava beans for dinner here...

Days like you had today are the ones that keep you going on the bad days. Keep at it, and you'll be beating all your goals before you know it. 

I need to get off my lazy butt and get moving. This week was lame, lame, lame. May hit the trainer tonight for an hour as my ride this AM never happened. Tomorrow is swim, and MAYBE, just MAYBE a run. My foot is feeling good, so I'm thinking of trying a nice easy jog. We'll see....

2011-04-16 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3450423

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mike_D - 2011-04-16 5:34 PM
croixfan - 2011-04-16 3:17 PM

LOL. Just a bit of chianti & fava beans for dinner here...

Days like you had today are the ones that keep you going on the bad days. Keep at it, and you'll be beating all your goals before you know it. 

I need to get off my lazy butt and get moving. This week was lame, lame, lame. May hit the trainer tonight for an hour as my ride this AM never happened. Tomorrow is swim, and MAYBE, just MAYBE a run. My foot is feeling good, so I'm thinking of trying a nice easy jog. We'll see....

Hey!  The three blind mice will certainly make it to an IM, even if you have to go back to the track and drag me through the finish line!!  Tongue out

Congratulations Curt!  You are sooo disciplined.  That’s why you see such good results.  BUT  We have to see how you are doing on the Spanish front!  How about a little sample on a post.  LOL

Mike you were doing very long distances before your foot issues, it will pass soon…

It was too hot to go outside so I moved the elliptical to the coolest room in the house and did 95 mins on it, 4 miles, 998 calories, 11555 steps.  I’ll rest a bit and go out on my mountain bike.  It looks like rain… crazy weather!!

You motivate me to get my act together and train today.  Thanks guys!   Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-04-16 8:29 PM
2011-04-16 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Hi all, is everyone having a great weekend???

To the goggle question. I can't remember what brand I'm using but they work ok. I was using a pair for quite a while and at my last tri last year they got leaky. I didn't discover this until I went in for my warm up and transition was around the corner and up a hill and I didn't have time to get my back up pair. I think this year I'm going to pull out a new pair a few swims before I race and hopefully I won't have that problem come up again.

Dave-looking forward to hearing about your race.

Tim-swimming seems to be the sport that takes most of us the longest to get comfortable with. You can do it Sealed Keep at it!

Curt-isn't it nice to be in a group and feel like there are others out there too working through the same thing. We are all going to have a great year. Super nice to turn around and have such a good run too.

Chet-Glad the last leg was early and cooler for you. Sounds like it was a great race.

Suzi-great job on your walk. Nice to add the hills too. 

Mike-Glad your foot is feeling better. ART is a thing of beauty!

Sara-didn't you have a race this weekend? How'd it go?

I did a 100K bike ride today. The weather was perfect. Dave broke his chain and cassette on his bike and might of cracked his frame He had to get SAG'd back to the starting point after 10 miles. It was pretty disappointing. I kept going on the ride and felt overall pretty good about my ride. I was more relaxed on the downhills and was able to maintain a good pace on the straights. The climbs  weren't fast but I didn't have to stop. It was all a lot of fun. I finished just under 5 hours with 2400 feet of climbing. My Garmin transferred the data to my computer and then it was all lost somewhere so I can't pull up any of my stats Has anyone ever had that happen? I might call support Monday and see if I can retrieve it.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend!

Johanne

2011-04-16 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

After reading everyone's workouts/adventures over the past week, I am both in awe and motivated by everyone! I had a planned rest day yesterday, and today was more of a walking/yardwork day--so I didn't do much. Tomorrow I will be volunteering at the Icebreaker Triathlon in Granite Bay, CA.--its a two-fold benefit for me: For volunteering, I get a voucher for another race--which I plan on using for my second race (and my first sprint) on June 4th, also the other benefit will be watching the triathlon and seeing how everything works. I'm really looking forward to it.

After that, tomorrow will be a combo workout--swimming and running plus some weights for good measure--and I ALSO need to get the bike out before my next long ride--I just put some new pedals on it--the clipping type--so I will need to get used to being attached at my feet!

Oh well, back to dinner prep.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72