BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-07 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3977389

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 9:17 PM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-07 6:42 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 10:02 AM

then its football playoffs!   Ya I'm ready for some football 

So am I!!! Unfortunately I'm guessing we may be pulling for opposite teams. Geaux Saints!!!!!

Shelly

Shelly   I have the Saints  as my Super bowl winner over the Pats.   SO GEAUX Saints!

I root for the Saints, unless they are playing the Colts!  Their Super Bowl year killed me.  I won't be able to stand it if the Pats come to Indy for a Super Bowl, so I'm bedgrudingly rooting for the Ravens or Steelers.  (I just threw up in my mouth a little...but anyone is better than the Pats...especially for the game here!)  I decided watching the game tonight that I'm ordering a Saints t-shirt.  Geaux Saints!  All the way to Indy for another Lombardi trophy!  There's a small chance I'll be able to go to the game and since the Colts can't win it, it would be awesome to see NO win it!

2012-01-08 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3966017

User image

New user

Sacramento area
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Hey Yvonne,

Thanks for the post - it's clear I'm in good company! Also, I appreciate your suggestion about the youth tri.  I'm hoping that the tri stuff that Cheri and I are doing will naturally catch on with Jackson.  He is all about the swag.  He did his first 5k (walking) this Thanksgiving and had mixed reviews - partially, I think, because there wasn't anything but a finish line at the end.  But at the end of each sports season, the medal/trophy/certificate really means something to him. 

I'm not that different. For motivation, I need the t-shirt, the dailymile post, the entry in my training log, whatever as an extrinsic reward.  I'm aware that the exercise itself should be the reward, but I do better and sustain my training when I build in these other rewards.  To put it another way, if I ran one day and didn't record it, tell my wife, post it, track it, I think I'd feel disappointed.  I need recognition at least, and preferably praise.  That's my swag.

-Kent

2012-01-08 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3976543

User image

Veteran

ChicagoMan65 - 2012-01-07 10:51 AM Yes!!! First bike ride since Racine!!! 20 miles, quite happy with it!

Pros: didn't fall; most bike clothes still fit; NO screaming leg pain!
Cons: butt def forgot what bike seat feels like; belly too close to top tube; endurance missing

All in all, a success. Have a good weekend all!

Woo Hoo!

I feel your "pain"

2012-01-08 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3977366

User image

Veteran
kentkillsit - 2012-01-07 9:06 PM

Hello everybody!

Guiltily admitting that I'm posting without reading the last 7 pages (!!!) of posts!  I'm just back from a great trip to Tucson with the family.  I managed a run (stumble, crawl) in the four days I was there and a gentle hike, but largely vacay-mode.  Felt good about the nutrition part, though - didn't overindulge and made some good choices, so I'm returning with my head high.  I look forward to catching up and making some connections (please add me as your friend if you haven't already - I'll do the same!) with y'all tomorrow. 

In other good news, I got a Garmin sports watch for Xmas for training (told you my wife is awesome!) and I'm having a lot of fun incorporating it into my training.  The uploading features are pretty cool!  All these little things combine to help me get out on the road more often.

OK - enough about me.  Just wanted to give a quick shout - I'll check in manana!  Happy training!

-Kent

Vacations are great, we all need some time.  I'll be heading to Disney World in April.

2012-01-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Veteran

Today was a good for me also.  Ran, well - walk'n, for 30 minutes with definitely 5 minutes of running.  I jogged about 30 and 45 second intervals every 3 minutes.  So my plan for this week is to do 45 seconds to 50 every 2 1/2 minutes.  (It's the scientist in me, and my son's an engineer) LOL

Got home, cooled down for about 45 minutes then did my bike indoors for 45 minutes. 

I think Dave gave me the advice about my sneakers.  He was right! I used my cross trainers today and I was way more comfortable in my running sneakers the other day.  Though I probably need a better pair at some point, Wink

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Tom

2012-01-08 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3977509

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-01-07 9:42 PM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-07 8:53 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 8:09 PM

I love seeing pics of everyone's kiddos. They are beautiful and sounds like it was an awesome day.

Thanks for sharing.

Shelly

Hi Sarah and Melissa!!!! Love those girls! Hey Dave, what were their races? Are they freestyle only or do they race other strokes as well??? Dave won't brag, but I will...his kids are the nicest, most well behaved, smart, talented ever! Thanks for the pic!

Aww thanks Shelly!  

Qunicy- Thank  you so much!  That was really nice.       They say Hi back, and were asking if you had put up pics of your two! 

Melissa was in 100 Free, 50 Free, and 50 Back.   Sarah's were 50 back (3rd place), 50 free (anchor on 200 medley relay) 50 Back on another relay, and 50 free.       They swim/train all strokes,  and their swim coaches decide which they will compete in.       On Saturday mornings when they do not have a meet, we usually swim together at the gym.   That's when they work on refining my stroke.  My built in little swim coaches.  " You are doing that wrong, dad!"

2012-01-08 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3978173

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-08 2:19 PM

Today was a good for me also.  Ran, well - walk'n, for 30 minutes with definitely 5 minutes of running.  I jogged about 30 and 45 second intervals every 3 minutes.  So my plan for this week is to do 45 seconds to 50 every 2 1/2 minutes.  (It's the scientist in me, and my son's an engineer) LOL

Got home, cooled down for about 45 minutes then did my bike indoors for 45 minutes. 

I think Dave gave me the advice about my sneakers.  He was right! I used my cross trainers today and I was way more comfortable in my running sneakers the other day.  Though I probably need a better pair at some point, Wink

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Tom

Quick progress! Looks like you are rocking your training.       Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

2012-01-08 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3978071

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
kentkillsit - 2012-01-08 12:58 PM

Hey Yvonne,

Thanks for the post - it's clear I'm in good company! Also, I appreciate your suggestion about the youth tri.  I'm hoping that the tri stuff that Cheri and I are doing will naturally catch on with Jackson.  He is all about the swag.  He did his first 5k (walking) this Thanksgiving and had mixed reviews - partially, I think, because there wasn't anything but a finish line at the end.  But at the end of each sports season, the medal/trophy/certificate really means something to him. 

I'm not that different. For motivation, I need the t-shirt, the dailymile post, the entry in my training log, whatever as an extrinsic reward.  I'm aware that the exercise itself should be the reward, but I do better and sustain my training when I build in these other rewards.  To put it another way, if I ran one day and didn't record it, tell my wife, post it, track it, I think I'd feel disappointed.  I need recognition at least, and preferably praise.  That's my swag.

-Kent

Kent,

Well said.  I agree and need all of the above as well.    My girls are really into the swag.  Nothing wrong with that!       When I was a kid,  my dad threw this line at me, whenever I was a little bit proud of something I accomplished.      "what, do you want....... a medal?"    I was like YES!!!  (and I still do)

2012-01-08 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3977537

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-07 10:15 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 9:17 PM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-07 6:42 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-07 10:02 AM

then its football playoffs!   Ya I'm ready for some football 

So am I!!! Unfortunately I'm guessing we may be pulling for opposite teams. Geaux Saints!!!!!

Shelly

Shelly   I have the Saints  as my Super bowl winner over the Pats.   SO GEAUX Saints!

I root for the Saints, unless they are playing the Colts!  Their Super Bowl year killed me.  I won't be able to stand it if the Pats come to Indy for a Super Bowl, so I'm bedgrudingly rooting for the Ravens or Steelers.  (I just threw up in my mouth a little...but anyone is better than the Pats...especially for the game here!)  I decided watching the game tonight that I'm ordering a Saints t-shirt.  Geaux Saints!  All the way to Indy for another Lombardi trophy!  There's a small chance I'll be able to go to the game and since the Colts can't win it, it would be awesome to see NO win it!

HEY!  I'm really a Colt's fan too!   but since our season was over  after like the second game.  Have to root for SOMEONE!       Its been a rough sports year for me as I'm a Huge   Orioles, Colts fan.  Two of the worst performing teams in 2011.   ah well.   

2012-01-08 7:36 PM

Rochester
Well, I can say that anything to do with Boston or The New England area ( red suxs, celtics, bruins and the Patsy's) I hate! Raised in Buffalo NY and will remain loyal to my Bills and Sabres until I die. Yes I think I love being punished by my teams as of late but I remain loyal to them. In fact my hatred of Boston leads me to think that the Boston Marathon is not even a decent event. Yep, I said it!

Also, hopefully the bike is here tomorrow seeing it left Syracuse yesterday.
2012-01-08 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3978400

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-01-08 5:48 PM

Hey Yvonne,

-Kent

Kent,

Well said.  I agree and need all of the above as well.    My girls are really into the swag.  Nothing wrong with that!       When I was a kid,  my dad threw this line at me, whenever I was a little bit proud of something I accomplished.      "what, do you want....... a medal?"    I was like YES!!!  (and I still do)

Haha so I can admit I want a medal? My dh bought me a beautiful display rack for medals and I need to fill it up, but many sprint tris don't give medals

2012-01-09 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3977537

Hold up, hold up, hold up, hold up....

what's with all the Pats hating.  Just because they are amazingly awesome, and trounce just about everybody (except sometimes when it counts like the super bowl vs the Giants), why does everybody hate them.  Naturally since I am a boston guy, I am required (by law in most towns) to root for the red sox, the patriots, the Celtics and the Bruins (who have all won championships in the last 10 years mind you).  So because of local laws, I love the boston sports teams.  And I don't understand why others don't.  Seriously, why does everybody hate on the Pats?

In other news, I think the real championship game will be the Saints VS the Packers.  IT doesn't matter who wins the AFC, they will get trounced by the NFC Team.

Mark w.

2012-01-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3979403

User image

New user

Sacramento area

Nice to have good football rivalries to elevate sports enthusiasm.  As a Northwest product and Seahawks fan, I enjoyed the Pittsburgh defeat yesterday (still mad about Super Bowl 40), but it came at the hands of Denver, who I have a hard time rooting for after all those AFC Elway-hating years.  I think the teams that are successful (Pats!) can look forward to derision - they've reached favorite status, and everyone likes to see the favorites knocked down.  That probably explains Pats-haters because prior to 2002, nobody outside of New England really paid attention to the Pats, did they? 

Where I really suffer is during basketball season, when I wander around dazedly wondering what happened to my beloved Supersonics.  I watch Shawn Kemp youtube compilations and weep.  At least his son (one of many) is playing for the Huskies.  But as you can see, that's really reaching.

I hope all your teams win because my teams are nowhere to be seen.  More importantly - here's to some good workouts this week.  I'm actually thinking about getting in the pool, and I'm way behind everyone else in that regard.  I'll peep the links prior to doing so, but I predict the usual frustrations.

Peace and happy Monday!

-Kent

2012-01-09 12:27 PM

Rochester
I do believe the Bills beat them this year, yep I am sure of that. Also who likes a guy that cries that he almost didn't get drafted when he makes millions of dollars AND has a supermodel wife that he sleeps next too almost every night. That alone is enough to hate him. Lol.
2012-01-09 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3979944

Portland trailblazers wtih clyde drexler, that was a site...  Then he went to the rockets...

Sorry chief.

thanks for the explanation for the pats hating thing...  But for that matter, shouldn't everybody hate the stillers and the colts, and the generically decent NFC decent teams (perhaps there aren't any).

Solid work outs this week.  I had a nasty flu last week, so this week is when I am back in business.  Had a great work out this AM with a Spin class, and some strength training.  Good things coming for sure.

Mark W.

2012-01-09 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3978659

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

peterflagg - 2012-01-08 7:36 PM Well, I can say that anything to do with Boston or The New England area ( red suxs, celtics, bruins and the Patsy's) I hate! Raised in Buffalo NY and will remain loyal to my Bills and Sabres until I die. Yes I think I love being punished by my teams as of late but I remain loyal to them. In fact my hatred of Boston leads me to think that the Boston Marathon is not even a decent event. Yep, I said it!

Also, hopefully the bike is here tomorrow seeing it left Syracuse yesterday.

Pete- Did your bike arrive????

Red Sux pretty much are the Evil Empire #2   (after Yanks)    I mean they just buy whatever they want so what is th ebig deal if they win?

Patriots-  As a Colts fan    Colts-Pats rivalry and that jackwagon of a coach they have, is enough reason to not like them.  HOWEVER,  I do admit the Pats have been very very good.  That Jackwagon of a  coach, is a football genius.  So while I can't stand them,  I do respect what they have accomplished.    NFL is not like Baseball.   its a level playing field. 

2012-01-09 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3978733

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-01-08 8:20 PM

Hey Yvonne,

-Kent

Kent,

Haha so I can admit I want a medal? My dh bought me a beautiful display rack for medals and I need to fill it up, but many sprint tris don't give medals

Yvonne- YES admit it!   yep you will need to look around for a sprint  that DOES give out medals.  They are out there!    You need to fill that display up! 

2012-01-09 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3979972

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-09 12:28 PM

Portland trailblazers wtih clyde drexler, that was a site...  Then he went to the rockets...

Sorry chief.

thanks for the explanation for the pats hating thing...  But for that matter, shouldn't everybody hate the stillers and the colts, and the generically decent NFC decent teams (perhaps there aren't any).

Solid work outs this week.  I had a nasty flu last week, so this week is when I am back in business.  Had a great work out this AM with a Spin class, and some strength training.  Good things coming for sure.

Mark W.

What??? no working out  training with the flu??  heh   c'mon Mark!   J/K         Glad you are back in action! 

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-09 6:50 PM
2012-01-09 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Todd-

Not sure if you have seen this or not.      Iron distance events  typically will also have their own threads where people will chat about their particular race.     So reviewing this thread can answer a ton of questions that you may have.  (26 pages of info!  enjoy!)

Here a link to the 2011 thread for Racine (there is a new thread for 2012):  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2012-01-09 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3980758

Rochester

--------Pete- Did your bike arrive????

Red Sux pretty much are the Evil Empire #2   (after Yanks)    I mean they just buy whatever they want so what is th ebig deal if they win?----------

The bike is here! Came at 10:18 AM. I have cleared out a spot in the garage to put it together. I am working tonight and tomorrow and then school on Wednesday so I have to wait until thursday to put it together. Thinking of making a bike stand out of PVC for it. Not sure though.

Now I love the Yanks, always have since I was about 5 years old. My one Aunt use to take me to see them play the Blue Jays in Toronto all the time.

2012-01-09 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3978733

User image

Expert
Hammond
Ybeal - 2012-01-08 8:20 PM

I haven't done a sprint yet that doesn't give medals. Of course I've only done two- lol. I too want the medal. Maybe one day when I have 100's of them it won't matter.

Shelly

2012-01-09 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3979403

User image

Expert
Hammond
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-09 8:51 AM

In other news, I think the real championship game will be the Saints VS the Packers.  IT doesn't matter who wins the AFC, they will get trounced by the NFC Team.

Mark w.

I must say I have to agree, although we keep crossing our fingers that the Giants beat Greenbay. Not likely but we can hope can't we ;-)

Shelly

2012-01-09 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3977366

User image

Expert
Hammond
kentkillsit - 2012-01-07 8:06 PM

Hello everybody!

Guiltily admitting that I'm posting without reading the last 7 pages (!!!) of posts!  I'm just back from a great trip to Tucson with the family.  I managed a run (stumble, crawl) in the four days I was there and a gentle hike, but largely vacay-mode.  Felt good about the nutrition part, though - didn't overindulge and made some good choices, so I'm returning with my head high.  I look forward to catching up and making some connections (please add me as your friend if you haven't already - I'll do the same!) with y'all tomorrow. 

In other good news, I got a Garmin sports watch for Xmas for training (told you my wife is awesome!) and I'm having a lot of fun incorporating it into my training.  The uploading features are pretty cool!  All these little things combine to help me get out on the road more often.

OK - enough about me.  Just wanted to give a quick shout - I'll check in manana!  Happy training!

-Kent

Kent,

It's all about the little choices. Sounds like you did great on vacation.

And awesome on the Garmin. I am waiting on mine and it's nearly killing me. My delivery date says between January 30 and February 7. It can't get here soon enough for me.

Which one did you get?

Shelly

2012-01-09 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3979944

User image

Sacramento, CA
kentkillsit - 2012-01-09 10:12 AM

Nice to have good football rivalries to elevate sports enthusiasm.  As a Northwest product and Seahawks fan, I enjoyed the Pittsburgh defeat yesterday (still mad about Super Bowl 40), but it came at the hands of Denver, who I have a hard time rooting for after all those AFC Elway-hating years.  I think the teams that are successful (Pats!) can look forward to derision - they've reached favorite status, and everyone likes to see the favorites knocked down.  That probably explains Pats-haters because prior to 2002, nobody outside of New England really paid attention to the Pats, did they? 

Where I really suffer is during basketball season, when I wander around dazedly wondering what happened to my beloved Supersonics.  I watch Shawn Kemp youtube compilations and weep.  At least his son (one of many) is playing for the Huskies.  But as you can see, that's really reaching.

I hope all your teams win because my teams are nowhere to be seen.  More importantly - here's to some good workouts this week.  I'm actually thinking about getting in the pool, and I'm way behind everyone else in that regard.  I'll peep the links prior to doing so, but I predict the usual frustrations.

Peace and happy Monday!

-Kent

DIVE IN!  You can do it! 

2012-01-09 11:00 PM
in reply to: #3980911

User image

New user

Sacramento area
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-10 6:14 PM
kentkillsit - 2012-01-07 8:06 PM

Hello everybody!

-Kent

Kent,

It's all about the little choices. Sounds like you did great on vacation.

And awesome on the Garmin. I am waiting on mine and it's nearly killing me. My delivery date says between January 30 and February 7. It can't get here soon enough for me.

Which one did you get?

Shelly

My prediction is that you'll love it.  I got the Garmin Forerunner 405.  I'm still figuring it out, but I got the silver membership here at BT and it just magically drops my workouts into my training log.  I did a strength/conditioning workout today and didn't use it, but my DW pointed out that it's not quite so cool on the treadmill, where its GPS uses are, well, worthless.  But I've got it set up for heart zones, too, (have to order the heart monitor separately, but we did and I'm glad we did) so that's a way to use it on the treadmill.  Either way, there's a Garmin site that also has a place to record info.  So - with regard to extrinsic incentives, that's cool, too.  I can double-dip and get more mileage out of my mileage. 

Also - just saying this - this is one heck of an expensive athletic pursuit.  I mean, once you start taking it seriously, all the costs start rearing their heads.  I'm having to piece everything together because getting all the gear at once is prohibitive.  I could have never done this sport in my 20's!  Any suggestions from anyone on online sites or stores that have worthy discounts?  Wetsuit?  Tri-suit?  Swim gear?  Cycling apparel?  

-Kent

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44