BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2012-01-09 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3942453

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED
week 1 of my "how many ironmans can you do in a month" results are in and I'm in 4th place. mainly because of the scoring system you need equal amounts of each sport to get points. so 0 swim 0 bike and 1000miles of running would only be .33 points and my pool membership expired =[ getting a new one later this week though.

2012-01-09 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3980667

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

jaelinfunk - 2012-01-09 5:39 PM week 1 of my "how many ironmans can you do in a month" results are in and I'm in 4th place. mainly because of the scoring system you need equal amounts of each sport to get points. so 0 swim 0 bike and 1000miles of running would only be .33 points and my pool membership expired =[ getting a new one later this week though.

That sounds fun!

2012-01-10 4:16 AM
in reply to: #3979706

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
davisjanis58 - 2012-01-10 3:36 AM

Sounds like everyone here has great goals and are working hard! Love reading about it all. 

BL news- lost 1 pound!! Yea! That's good esp. because I missed most of my workouts. Cutting out all things but good clean healthy food (except some wine-bad me) must have done it.

The BL had a Bootcamp I attended Sunday. I did not do the jumping (my back) but still good. I am sooo sore this morning. By the way, I am not going to quit running. I ruptured my disc 2 years ago and took some time off running, did PT and got right back to it. I have been running without issue ever since. My back hurts most of the time whether I run or not. I don't run long distances any more and try to run on soft surface most of the time. Maybe I am wrong but I can't do without that part of my life.

No group swim due to family issues. Will continue on my own and try again next week maybe.

I have decided I need to monitor my heart rate but I don't know which one to get. Which ones do you guys like? I got confused looking at them yesterday. I have heard talk about a power meter between some of you. Would that be something I should invest in at this point-3rd year, 3 tri in 16 weeks. (yikes!) I have been reading The Triathlon Bible.

Congrats on the BL Bootcamp and weight loss Jan, any negative on the scales is a good one!

Re HR monitors, I'm looking at getting one also, I've decided to get a Polar again, due to my last one being a Polar and it was awesome until I put it somewhere so safe I cannot find it! I've been looking at the RS300X, you can buy the optional foot pod and GPS tracker, which will pretty much give me all that I need. The watch itself which comes with the HR monitor strap etc retails for about $145 on eBay, the foot pod and GPS are about another $100 each.. I'm just going to get the watch first and add the rest on as I can afford it. I'm sure there are heaps of cheaper brands/models out there, but I'm going with what I know will work for me.

Big session for me today, 30km on the trainer, 60mins weights straight after and then 1200m in the pool tonight.. finally getting the bilateral breathing down.. I'm am happily taxed and will hopefully sleep well tonight!

Hope everyone else is having a great week of training.

2012-01-10 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3981257

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
I have been using the Garmin 310 for about a year and I love it. It is completely waterproof and if you get the premium hr strap it is as well. So, I can put it on at the beginning of a race and not have to worry about it. It can be had for pretty cheap right now as the 910 model is soon to be released. The only difference is that the 910 can count your laps while swimming. If you have the extra money, go for the 910. If you don't care about the watch itself being waterproof the 305 can be found, used, for 100 on the classifieds. It does all the same stuff, for the most part, that the 310 does, but isn't water proof.I have also added the quick releases kit, bike mount, and cadence sensor. It doubles as my bike computer and pops easily off the watch band and onto my bike during T1.
2012-01-10 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
I have the Garmin 405 and have it for about 2 years. Here is what i don't like about it. Its not exactly water-proof, so you have to put it on after the swim. That takes time. It has a lot of bells and whistles, but you have them all going, then the battery does not last that long. It went dead on mile 108 on the bike on my last ironman, and I did not have the heart rate monitor going. I am not planning on a lot of big tri purchases this year, I might get me something else in a couple of months.

On a side note, I have this flu/sinus infection/cold/bug crap going on for the the last couple of weeks. I thought I had it beat on Sunday, but Sunday night the flu/sinus infection/cold/bug was winning again. I took Monday and today off. I might take tomorrow off again as well.
2012-01-10 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3981703

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
RandyP1964 - 2012-01-10 9:49 AMI have the Garmin 405 and have it for about 2 years. Here is what i don't like about it. Its not exactly water-proof, so you have to put it on after the swim. That takes time. It has a lot of bells and whistles, but you have them all going, then the battery does not last that long. It went dead on mile 108 on the bike on my last ironman, and I did not have the heart rate monitor going. I am not planning on a lot of big tri purchases this year, I might get me something else in a couple of months. On a side note, I have this flu/sinus infection/cold/bug crap going on for the the last couple of weeks. I thought I had it beat on Sunday, but Sunday night the flu/sinus infection/cold/bug was winning again. I took Monday and today off. I might take tomorrow off again as well.
Yes, I should add that the 310s battery life is supposed to be 17 hours of usage time. I think the 305 is more like 10.That sucks randy. Hope you get better soon.

2012-01-10 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas

I have a FR305, and have really enjoyed the amount of function I get with the watch.  I paid around ~$115 on Amazon for the watch (much cheaper than the 310XT and 910), and basically wish it was fully waterproof.  That's it.  Everything else I love.  I've had zero issues with the battery, loading workouts from Garmin Connect, and use it for every run/bike ride.  My pacing and times during runs has improved dramatically, as I now have something to compare my HR to.  ie Running at an average HR of 140 one week and averaging a 8:00/mile pace, and the next week at a 140 HR, averaging a 7:52/mile pace on the same route.

When racing, I just leave it attached to the quick release on my bike, and hit START when I leave T1.  Some people put the watch in their swimcap, which is the best way to get a decent signal when open water swimming, and attach it to the bike mount in T1.  This is too much for me to handle during the race. Besides, I usually have a pretty good idea of what my swim time will be, so timing isn't the biggest issue for me. 

I plan on using this watch till it craps out, and then going with a 910.  By then, I hope it will be closer to the "affordable" price range. I will suggest getting the quick release for the watch, and possibly the upgraded HR strap.  I have the older model that comes with the watch, and find it sometimes slipping during tempo and threshold runs.

2012-01-10 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
And as far as battery life goes, each garmin watch has an option of recording position every second, 3 seconds, or 5 seconds (I think...).  The 305 automatically does it every second, and from what I read a while back on an older post on DCRainmaker's blog, it is recommended that you change it to the longer periods for updating when doing ultra events.  This will help conserve the battery for the longer races, although I'm sure it still might crap out on the run, which would SUCK!!!
2012-01-10 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Friendly reminder to all of the midwesterners planning on doing IM KS 70.3(i seem to remember quite a few us were planning on it).  Price increases 1-13-12 at 11PM CST.  Register now and save $25.
2012-01-11 2:37 AM

User image

Regular

Thanks for all the help on the HR monitors. Will be looking into that more. Simone great workout plan! And hope you feel better soon, Randy.

Jan

2012-01-11 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Jon, thanks for the reminder on IMKS. My wife also just mentioned it to me. It's expensive enough just one of us doing tri's, but gets very expensive for us whose spouses also love it. I was looking at your training log this a.m., looks good, but noticed very little swimming. Are you a strong swimmer, or just not too worried about it? Just something that stuck out and made me say hmmmm?

Jan, you're a trooper. Keep it up girl, those extra pounds will be history soon. If all you want is to monitor your HR, I like the Polar also. Easy to use, relatively cheap.

Sorry I've been off the last day or two, life you know. I have also come down with the sniffles, sneezy, congestion, nastiness. I use the above the neck, below the neck guide, and so far symptoms have stayed above the neck so training goes on. Was supposed to bike today, but it looks like it's going to be the last nice day for a while so I think I will run(outside)instead and ride tomorrow (inside). Today's high 55, tomorrow 29.

You guys have a great day, Roger.

2012-01-11 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I bought a factory refurbished FR305 and I agree with Mark, I love it!  I paid $145 on Amazon but most of their new 305's are over $200.  I just saw this link on Amazon, a FR60 (the older version of the FR70) for $105.  It doesn't have the fancy display but comes with a foot pad, HR monitor, then you can purchase a cadence monitor later.  The biggest regret I have is that it's not water proof, which others have mentioned.

Has anyone used the Timex Ironman GPS/monitors?

Get well Roger and Randy!  And congrats Jan, you're doing great!

I'm about to start my night shift at work (once a month) and it will be for 10 nights.  Although my system is out of wack I usually turn in good to great workouts during that time.  I'm forcing myself to wait picking up my new bike until I'm off so I can enjoy it!  Cannondale Slice in T minus 13 days!

Mark, you sure run fast!  I wish I could keep a 8:00/mi pace with a 140 HR!  Last night on the treadmill (okay I know, but it was raining outside) I was around HR158 at that pace, assuming the treadmill was calibrated correctly.

2012-01-11 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3983430

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
You read my mind Roger. I am actually in a bit of a swimming funk right now. I know how much time I can improve on the bike and I feel like it would take way to much of my time to see significant gains like that in the swim. Going from a 6:30 bike to a 6 hour bike is more likely than going from a 1:35 swim to a 1:05. I am working on balancing that mindset. So, I will be in the pool at least 3 times a week from here on out to do what I can. Thanks for reminding me.
2012-01-11 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3983794

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
HelmoAlkou - 2012-01-11 9:47 AM

I bought a factory refurbished FR305 and I agree with Mark, I love it!  I paid $145 on Amazon but most of their new 305's are over $200.  I just saw this link on Amazon, a FR60 (the older version of the FR70) for $105.  It doesn't have the fancy display but comes with a foot pad, HR monitor, then you can purchase a cadence monitor later.  The biggest regret I have is that it's not water proof, which others have mentioned.

I'm about to start my night shift at work (once a month) and it will be for 10 nights.  Although my system is out of wack I usually turn in good to great workouts during that time.  I'm forcing myself to wait picking up my new bike until I'm off so I can enjoy it!  Cannondale Slice in T minus 13 days!

Mark, you sure run fast!  I wish I could keep a 8:00/mi pace with a 140 HR!  Last night on the treadmill (okay I know, but it was raining outside) I was around HR158 at that pace, assuming the treadmill was calibrated correctly.

That was just an example haha. I'm in the low 150s at an 8:00 pace!  On a great day!

2012-01-11 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
got a ymca membership today. and i raised my bike seat and brought it all the way foward. sooo much better and so much more aero. I biked a 2:10 mile today in the midst of my 50mile ride
2012-01-11 7:20 PM

User image

Regular

Wow, Jaelin, great!

Simone, monster workout! Let us know how it went. Love it when women go strong! Ok, well men too!

Roger, life gets in my way too, but it is good to find a way to keep going. Great job and hope you get rid of the sniffles soon!

Good job everyone else too. We are all working hard at goals, every step is important, even if it is a step back, because you learn something.

Got a great swim in today. Just enjoyed gliding through the water and every few laps concentrated on a different part of the swim-stroke, pull, kick, head position, rotation, etc. I love to swim, so glad I know how now!

Great workouts to everyone. Back to bed for me now for my night shift. Hey Monty-I'll be up too!

Jan

2012-01-12 12:17 AM
in reply to: #3983794

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
HelmoAlkou - 2012-01-12 1:47 AM

I had an Timex IM with GPS for a while, but I lost the little cap that held the battery in the GPS receiver, so it didn't work after that. I still have the watch as use it as a chrono/countdown.

I have a FR 610 and it is awesome! Fully waterproof, GPS and HR. You can set up custom interval workouts, custom HR and pace zones and HR/pace alarms to tell you if you are going too fast/slow. It even tells the time!
2012-01-12 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3985379

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
stuart_little_9 - 2012-01-12 12:17 AM
HelmoAlkou - 2012-01-12 1:47 AM

I had an Timex IM with GPS for a while, but I lost the little cap that held the battery in the GPS receiver, so it didn't work after that. I still have the watch as use it as a chrono/countdown. I have a FR 610 and it is awesome! Fully waterproof, GPS and HR. You can set up custom interval workouts, custom HR and pace zones and HR/pace alarms to tell you if you are going too fast/slow. It even tells the time!

I'm seen a lot of mixed reviews about the Timex.  Amazon's comments has them about half and half, for and against.  I've been looking at the 610 because it's water proof, good to know.  But I'm a little frugal so my 305 will have to die first.  Thanks!

Come on Mark, you had me going.  You should have let it be, haha!  That's still a good HR/pace.

Finally a few days off from the grind so I got in my long run for the week, 12 miles.  Next week will be my last loading week before my tapper.  NEVER been here before and must say I'm a little amped about it!

Edit:  Good job Jaelin!  Our YMCA closed years ago.  All the local city folks like making their own baseball, basketball, associations and ran the Y out of town.  We do have a outdoor city pool they put a dome on in the winter, it's geared for the swim team so a nice lap pool.  My gym has a two lane, 25 yard indoor pool with a large therapy section attached.  Hey, it's wet!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2012-01-12 11:34 AM
2012-01-12 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
went to the ymca today, oly size pool. long course is so much nicer, i didn't want to leave ;p
2012-01-12 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park
Been running Mon and Wed did 3 miles and tomorrow Fri got 12 to do. Sat is a bike day since I'm deployed I will spend training on a spin bike I know I'm going to probably do the endurance setting but for how long or do I do a different setting. This is a electronic spin bike that had the guy talking to me while I ride?
2012-01-12 11:08 PM
in reply to: #3986310

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

HelmoAlkou - 2012-01-13 4:30 AM

Finally a few days off from the grind so I got in my long run for the week, 12 miles.  Next week will be my last loading week before my tapper.  NEVER been here before and must say I'm a little amped about it!

Nice work Monty, really feel for you and Jan working night shift. I did shiftwork for 10 years, so I know how it feels. Good luck with your upcoming race, let us know how you go.

Brandon, nice job with your running also.

Have a great weekend all.

2012-01-13 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
racing another 5k tomorrow. wish me luck!
2012-01-13 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Good for you. Keep at it and you will break that pesky 20 minute mark. Good luck.

Edited by joncolbybohnsack 2012-01-13 12:22 PM
2012-01-13 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3988662

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Good luck, go get em Jaelin!
2012-01-13 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park

Ran 12 miles tonight in 2:38. A little slower than I like but not too bad for a training run!!!

Now the ? is how long should I spend on the spin bike tomorrow?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24