BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-26 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3952519

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED

JBacarella - 2011-12-24 10:16 AM I love Guatemala at Christmas. There is such a great feeling of the Christmas spirit there. I just wish someone would have warned me about the fireworks at midnight on Christmas eve.

Hey James, great to hear that you have been down in Guatemala for Christmas!  It is a lot of fun and my favorite time of the year, and yes, we do tend to go a little crazy with the fireworks.  Do you come down often to Guatemala?  Let me know whenever you are coming down next time (same goes to anyone else in our group Smile)   

2011-12-26 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3954574

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-12-26 9:22 PM
JBacarella - 2011-12-26 8:58 PM

Jim,
As far as how to indoor cycle qithout slitting your wrists, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  For the last few years, I've been using Spinervals DVDs, and Jennie now uses them with me in our basement.  I like them because on the bike I think I benefit from a coach yelling at me to speed up and stop slacking.  I've been running long enough to not have that issue with running.  I did most of my training for my last Half IM using the Spinervals DVDs and the bike leg worked out decent for me.  The run wasn't so good because it was so hot and humid that a fellow runner told me he was calling it the Disney Death March (long story).  Ernesto has suggested another DVD set called Sufferfest which uses a lot of real bike race video footage but I've only looked at them online and haven't gotten around to getting any yet.  But the nice thing about indoor cycling is, if you do it right, there is no wasted time and you can focus your workout on what you need to work on.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  I was supposed to run today but bailed on that due to getting up so early.  I decided a nap on the couch was more prudent today. 

-----
Scott

Scott

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into both CD's. I am putting a TV in our basement, so I bike CD might just help. I am getting sick of the songs on my I pod and my daughters cat as my only source of mental stimulation while on the trainer.

Jim

x2 on the sufferfest videos - once i'm done with the winter cycling plan I will utilize the suffefest videos as my go to rides on weekdays.

Sufferfest! Easy to download, you don't need anything except your computer and they're great. Try "The Hunted".
2011-12-26 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

OK, I propose a January challenge with Ernesto's permission.  Just like the November challenge!  I allowed myself to be bad for the month of December, since I've now been a triathlete in training for exactly one year!  I'm ready to get back to feeling good like I did in the month of November.

For those who have just joined, it's a minimum of 30 minutes working out (swim, bike or run) every day except the day before and the day after any race that is longer than a 5K.  If everyone works out for all 30 days, the tie-breaker is total minutes.

Whose in?

2011-12-27 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3953915

User image

Deutschland
dangremond - 2011-12-26 11:36 AM
Fireball Small - 2011-12-26 4:33 AM

Mitch,

Are you following Jorge's plan using power or heart rate?  I'm going to use heart rate, but I'm not sure where to start with my "threshold" heart rate... I think at the end of week 2 or 3 there is the 30 min test, and the average HR from that is used as threshold, but what to use until then?

What type of trainer do you have?  I would use power if at all possible.  If you have a cycle ops or kurt kinetic you can use the power version.  The reason I shy away from the HR is that HR lags and power is instant.  I think in the 2 week prep phase you can use RPE or approx. what your LT HR would be.  I guessed at my current CP for the first two weeks and was pretty much dead on.

I have the most basic TACX trainer.  It has 10 levels of resistance, which coupled with my gear changes, seem to give me a good range of pedaling resistance.  Unfortunately, a power meter is not in the budget for the near term... 

I tried to do the first day of Jorge's plan, and noticed just what you mentioned... When I try sets of 20 seconds at threshold with 40 seconds at 70% threshold, it takes the whole 20 seconds to get up to threshold... I recognized this immediately, and I think I can live with it.

The real problem is, the trainer makes an un-godly sound when I get up to any kind of reasonable speed... it sounds like a jet engine revving up (I worked on a flight deck with real fighter jets in the Navy... I know what I'm talking about here...).  It's bad enough that, when I'm in the basement, my wife two floors above, comes downstairs and says "what the hell is going on down here?"

I don't htink it's supposed to be like that... I'm going to tighten every bolt I can find on it, and iof it still makes the noise, take it back and get another model.

So, for now, I'm in experimentation mode, and not true training mode.

Edited by Fireball Small 2011-12-27 6:43 AM
2011-12-27 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3954596

User image

Expert

Hey James, great to hear that you have been down in Guatemala for Christmas!  It is a lot of fun and my favorite time of the year, and yes, we do tend to go a little crazy with the fireworks.  Do you come down often to Guatemala?  Let me know whenever you are coming down next time (same goes to anyone else in our group Smile)   

We come about every other year now. We did have a period in which we came about every 6 months. As our children grew older, it became more difficult to visit. We are trying to figure our our plans for this Summer. My Oldest daughter is going to spend the Summer there. Once she is in country she will be fine, but we don't want her traveling alone. Either my wife or I may come with for a few days.

We help to support a children's nutritional center located on the campus of Juan PabloII hospital in the capital. We are very close to the nun that runs it. My wife calls her tia.

I will also endorse Zacapa rum, it is the best in the world. My favorite is the blend that has the cafe de Antigua. 

2011-12-27 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3954665

User image

Expert

OK, I propose a January challenge with Ernesto's permission.  Just like the November challenge!  I allowed myself to be bad for the month of December, since I've now been a triathlete in training for exactly one year!  I'm ready to get back to feeling good like I did in the month of November.

For those who have just joined, it's a minimum of 30 minutes working out (swim, bike or run) every day except the day before and the day after any race that is longer than a 5K.  If everyone works out for all 30 days, the tie-breaker is total minutes.

Whose in?

I'm in. If you live in Michigan, hate the snow and don't play ice hockey there really is nothing better to do.

2011-12-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3954665

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-12-26 10:39 PM

Whose in?

I second the motion, but before we make the challenge we need to lay out the rules, remember that most people in the thread has no idea what the heck we're talking about. Does anybody care to post? I will have a busy morning.

Also, after laying the rules, let's write down a little roster with the participants in the challenge. As always, the challenge winner gets bragging rights and an aluminum foil medal. Gabe, I still owe you a medal, I promise you'll get it in May when you come to TX.

2011-12-27 8:03 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
I'm a stickler for rules being absurdly specific, so there can be no possibility of confusion. Here's an attempt.

Rules for January Challenge.

Players are ranked first by their number of "points". If one player has more points than another, he or she is ranked higher.

Players are ranked second by their total number of minutes of swimming, biking and running in January. If one player has the same number of points as another, but more total minutes, he or she is ranked higher.

Points are earned as follows:

For every day in January, a player can earn one point, or zero points. To earn the point for that day a player can

a) Swim, bike, or run for at least 30 minutes.

b) Participate in an organized race at least 5k in length on that day or an adjacent day. (Thus running a 5k on January 15 will earn the points for January 14, 15, and 16.)
2011-12-27 8:05 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Also,

If you live in Australia or Guatemala, deduct 10 points.

(And I'm in.)
2011-12-27 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3954128

User image

Veteran
clayton
If you go to my log, I gathered everyone's name  and links (except for Lynn - need to open access or friend everyone) to their respective logs and posted them to the top of my page.  You should be able to copy and paste them if you want into your log.  Let me know if I missed anyone.  

Hi Joe - thanks for this - what part of your 'training log' did you save this info into?

I looked quickly through mine but nothing stands out as obvious? There are so many options within BT menu's it takes some time to understand what does what!! Perhaps because I use a free account not paid?

Thanks, Mark.
2011-12-27 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
clayton
Sleep question - when logging 'hours sleep' what do folks here actual log?
- Time went to bed until time got up?
- Time you 'think you 'eventually' fell asleep until when you woke up?
- Total time you roughly belvie you slept inbetwen al the restlessness?
- nothing as not bothered?

Mark.

2011-12-27 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3954914

User image

Maple Grove, MN
markhodges1973 - 2011-12-27 8:26 AM

Sleep question - when logging 'hours sleep' what do folks here actual log?
- Time went to bed until time got up?
- Time you 'think you 'eventually' fell asleep until when you woke up?
- Total time you roughly belvie you slept inbetwen al the restlessness?
- nothing as not bothered?

Mark.

At least among the old members, most of us don't log sleeping or eating, just exercising. Ernesto does however.

I draw the line at logging my bowel movements.
2011-12-27 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3954902

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
markhodges1973 - 2011-12-27 9:17 AMIf you go to my log, I gathered everyone's name  and links (except for Lynn - need to open access or friend everyone) to their respective logs and posted them to the top of my page.  You should be able to copy and paste them if you want into your log.  Let me know if I missed anyone.  Hi Joe - thanks for this - what part of your 'training log' did you save this info into?I looked quickly through mine but nothing stands out as obvious? There are so many options within BT menu's it takes some time to understand what does what!! Perhaps because I use a free account not paid?Thanks, Mark.
Check the top of my log. Click on the link below this post and you should see it at top of my log.
2011-12-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3954922

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-12-27 8:29 AM
markhodges1973 - 2011-12-27 8:26 AM Sleep question - when logging 'hours sleep' what do folks here actual log? - Time went to bed until time got up? - Time you 'think you 'eventually' fell asleep until when you woke up? - Total time you roughly belvie you slept inbetwen al the restlessness? - nothing as not bothered? Mark.
At least among the old members, most of us don't log sleeping or eating, just exercising. Ernesto does however. I draw the line at logging my bowel movements.
Logging your hours slept will help you establish how much your lack of rest affects your performance. As many in this country, I just don't have enough time to sleep. It is incredible how much it affects the heart rate and the quality of the workouts.
2011-12-27 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3954067

Veteran

dmbfan4life20 - 2011-12-26 12:19 PM hey everyone, hope everyone had a great holiday this weekend! went to the pool today and did a 3,000yrd swim workout from my girlfriends masters swim teamLongest swim to date and it felt good! I had a question about the swim though. I noticed that towards the end of the swim, I felt a very minor pain in my lower back and where the top of my foot meets my ankle. Do you think this is a form problem or an endurance issue (longest previous swim was 1800).

Its probably both.  When I start ramping up my swimming sometimes it makes my back hurt.  Usually its because I'm lifting my head too much in front, causing my hips to sink.  A stronger core will alleviate the pain.  Also, your body is just getting used to being in a new position for an extended period of time so that might cause some of you pain.  And I bet the foot is just an endurance/stretching sort of issue.  I wouldnt worry about it yet - unless it doesnt feel better soon.

2011-12-27 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

Ok, so far in the challenge we have:

- Ernesto

- Jackie

- Chris

- James

Repost with your name on it if you're in.

2011-12-27 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Matt is in for the challenge!
2011-12-27 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3955098

User image

South Jersey
ernestov - 2011-12-27 10:50 AM

- Ernesto

- Jackie

- Chris

- James

- Joyce

2011-12-27 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3954914

User image

South Jersey

markhodges1973 - 2011-12-27 9:26 AM Sleep question - when logging 'hours sleep' what do folks here actual log? - 1 Time went to bed until time got up? - 2 Time you 'think you 'eventually' fell asleep until when you woke up? - 3 Total time you roughly belvie you slept inbetwen al the restlessness? - 4 nothing as not bothered? Mark.

#3 - Total time (roughly).

2011-12-27 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3954886

User image

Expert
Guatemala

chris2533 - 2011-12-27 7:05 AM Also, If you live in Australia or Guatemala, deduct 10 points. (And I'm in.)

LOL Chris!  I do agree we do have a bit of an unfair advantage weatherwise compared to you and the other members up north!  However, it gets somewhat balanced when you consider that unfortunately, it is not as easy for me to just go and train outside anywhere due to security challenges.  When doing long bike rides/runs, we have to get a backup car to follow us in order to avoid any potential issues.  Additionally, drivers here are way less tolerant of runners and cyclist, so it all helps to spice up the workouts!

Which brings up a good question for all, what are some of the biggest challenges that you face in your area in terms of keeping up with your trainings? 

2011-12-27 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3954883

Veteran

chris2533 - 2011-12-27 8:03 AM I'm a stickler for rules being absurdly specific, so there can be no possibility of confusion. Here's an attempt. Rules for January Challenge. Players are ranked first by their number of "points". If one player has more points than another, he or she is ranked higher. Players are ranked second by their total number of minutes of swimming, biking and running in January. If one player has the same number of points as another, but more total minutes, he or she is ranked higher. Points are earned as follows: For every day in January, a player can earn one point, or zero points. To earn the point for that day a player can a) Swim, bike, or run for at least 30 minutes. b) Participate in an organized race at least 5k in length on that day or an adjacent day. (Thus running a 5k on January 15 will earn the points for January 14, 15, and 16.)

I'm in.

2011-12-27 10:13 AM

Veteran
I have a question.  I'm going to start training for my first HIM mid January.  Does anyone have a training plan they'd recommend?  The BT one doesnt work for me because of the scheduling. I need a plan where I s/b/r on the same days every week and it doesnt change from week to week.  Does that make sense? 
2011-12-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3955098

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
ernestov - 2011-12-27 9:50 AM

- Ernesto

- Jackie

- Chris

- James

Todd TX is IN

2011-12-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3955271

User image

Veteran
Newtons1st - 2011-12-27 11:56 AM
ernestov - 2011-12-27 9:50 AM

- Ernesto

- Jackie

- Chris

- James

JOE D is in

Todd TX is IN

2011-12-27 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran

Here I will make it easier and update entire list... 

- Ernesto

- Jackie

- Chris

- James

- Elizabeth K

- Joe D

- Todd TX

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122