BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-01-31 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3943465

New user
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL

"Very Nice! I haven't been able to get a bike yet. Honestly I will probably have to ride a mountain bike for this season and go from there. I can't believe how expensive these bikes are. It might take a bit of saving before I can do it."

It's not the bike its the engine Laughing Seriously I have a hybrid bike and have become somewhat known bc of it.  Yeah I have to work harder but I get it done.  I have done a couple "sufferfests", 40 milers on hills etc... I am watching for a sale too.  Also let your local tri folks know you are looking.. happened into a sweet rode bike (Giant) for my kid $400 that way

2012-02-01 10:18 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

How is the week treating you? Welcome to February. Nick and I got in a 1500 meter swim together. I needed the extra motivation to wake up. Not sure why, but I still haven't found my "stride" in the water yet this season. I am hoping it comes back soon.

Getting geared up for a few good training weeks. Looking forward to getting back into shape for my March race.

Also hoping to come close to my PR, or even beat it at A1A marathon in a few weeks. I am hoping that a basic 3-4 run per week with strong focus on the pace for the shorter runs will help.

2012-02-01 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4021032

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Chicaskeeper - 2012-01-31 11:12 AM

"Very Nice! I haven't been able to get a bike yet. Honestly I will probably have to ride a mountain bike for this season and go from there. I can't believe how expensive these bikes are. It might take a bit of saving before I can do it."

It's not the bike its the engine Laughing Seriously I have a hybrid bike and have become somewhat known bc of it.  Yeah I have to work harder but I get it done.  I have done a couple "sufferfests", 40 milers on hills etc... I am watching for a sale too.  Also let your local tri folks know you are looking.. happened into a sweet rode bike (Giant) for my kid $400 that way

You'll find the perfect bike in the perfect price range soon.  Good things come to those that wait.

Well I had a pretty decent month, broken foot and all.  I increased my swim which now feels pretty good.  Got on my trainer a lot more so once I get some long rides in I'll be ready for IM California.  I think I'll be able to start running this weekend.  Toe feels pretty good and no pain this week.  Sunday will be 4 weeks out and there's a local 5 k that is put on by a friend. Of course he signed me up.  Not sure if my 1st run back should be a race, and I'm not sure if I run I'll be able to hold back. I am very curios where my fitness levels stand after 4 weeks of not running.  When I stopped I had just pr'd all races so it could be a good test...

Hope all is well for everyone.  Safe and happy training!

2012-02-01 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4018757

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2012-01-30 10:25 AM

Hey All,

Sounds like an eventful weekend. Good advice about the nachos!

And great news about the bike. I think you are right, you don't want to ride in a race until you are comfortable on it.

I managed to suffer through my headcold with the help of sudafed and tylenol and some nyquil. I took Friday off, rode Saturday afternoon, and then ran the ING half-marathon in Miami on Sunday.

I was pacing a friend who wanted to go for 1:55. the ING Miami is a huge race now, so I knew it would be crowded. Although our first mile was a little slow, I though we were on pace to make it. My watch and foot-pod were misbehaving, so I couldn't always tell how our pace was. Up till about mile 9 I think we were doing well.

However, my friend started to flag a bit at that point, so we ended up at 1:57 and 1:58 (I took off the last half-mile).

Overall, it was a great race for me. Head didn't hurt, legs felt good and I feel well today. I am looking forward to the A1A half marathon in a few weeks, and hope to PR there with a sub 1:49.

That race sounds fun.  There's something about being surrounded with that many fit people...

2012-02-01 12:43 PM

Ugh injuries!

I sprained my ankle two weeks ago, and then did it AGAIN this weekend, causing me to miss out on a 5K that I registered for. I have been able to bike normally and focus on core/upper body strength, but I am afraid to run. The worst part about this is that running is my worst event (weird, right?), and this is giving me an excuse to slack on it. Also, I had no idea how much an ankle injury would affect the swim, but slapping my fat, bruised ankle against the water is terrible. 

I had this crazy stress dream the other night about it, in which I woke up late for a triathlon and tried to join the race halfway through. My bike was a kids' big wheel and the route was through a building. 

Any wisdom or advice for dealing with nonsense like this? Honestly, this group is a HUGE motivator to keep up the training despite my excuses. Feeling accountable to you guys is incredibly helpful, so thanks!

Whitney

2012-02-01 9:23 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Hey All!!!

Well after almost a month of being a couch potato from the fall out of the attic I got back in the saddle today for a bit.  The last two weeks have been hard, depressed, grumpy and feeling like a slug.  I didn't realize how much of a positive effect physical activity has on a persons mental well being.  Got home from a work trip, loaded the road bike(more upright position = less rib pain) and rode along with Coach Troy for an hour.  Man, it feels good.

I also called last week and moved from the 15k this Saturday to the 5k.  I just don't think the ribs are up to that much jarring yet.  I still can not take a full deep breath without pain nor sleep on my left side.  So if worse comes to worse, I'll set a PR for my slowest 5k.  But I'll have fun doing it!!!

And to catch up for a week or so ago.....I do Special Assets for a regional bank here in the Southeast.  Basically once a loan gets to 90 days past due, is "upside down" loan to value wise or is just a jacked up credit it becomes mine.  My options are to try and right side the loan, short sell it and foreclose.  Luckily my boss is cool(and he is 4 hours away) so when days get stressful I just leave and go swim laps for an hour or so.  It's stressful but apparently I've found a positive way to deal with the stress.  Now if BT would make an iPhone app so I can read the forums in the app my day would be set.

Happy Mardi Gras everyone!!!!!!  It's carnival season and I plan to take in my limit.

2012-02-02 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4023470

User image

Master
ohwhitneykay - 2012-02-01 12:43 PM

Ugh injuries!

I sprained my ankle two weeks ago, and then did it AGAIN this weekend, causing me to miss out on a 5K that I registered for. I have been able to bike normally and focus on core/upper body strength, but I am afraid to run. The worst part about this is that running is my worst event (weird, right?), and this is giving me an excuse to slack on it. Also, I had no idea how much an ankle injury would affect the swim, but slapping my fat, bruised ankle against the water is terrible. 

I had this crazy stress dream the other night about it, in which I woke up late for a triathlon and tried to join the race halfway through. My bike was a kids' big wheel and the route was through a building. 

Any wisdom or advice for dealing with nonsense like this? Honestly, this group is a HUGE motivator to keep up the training despite my excuses. Feeling accountable to you guys is incredibly helpful, so thanks!

Whitney

Ankle sprains suck. Have you tried to use a pull buoy instead of kicking on the swim. You could still drill and work on upper body form.

Aside from rest and ice, there isn't much you can do with an ankle sprain. I would say wear an elastic brace when you start up again, and start really slow. Maybe do some walking if you can do that without pain, just to keep it moving.

I really like the big wheel part of your dream. Maybe you were playing too much Mario Kart?

Keep it up though, if you can bike and swim, you can work on cardio fitness. That way, only your legs will suffer when you run, not your lungs. You can also do some core body work, and maybe some leg work with weights to at least keep muscle mass and keep the ligaments strong.

2012-02-02 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4024505

User image

Master
bufit - 2012-02-01 9:23 PM

Hey All!!!

Well after almost a month of being a couch potato from the fall out of the attic I got back in the saddle today for a bit.  The last two weeks have been hard, depressed, grumpy and feeling like a slug.  I didn't realize how much of a positive effect physical activity has on a persons mental well being.  Got home from a work trip, loaded the road bike(more upright position = less rib pain) and rode along with Coach Troy for an hour.  Man, it feels good.

I also called last week and moved from the 15k this Saturday to the 5k.  I just don't think the ribs are up to that much jarring yet.  I still can not take a full deep breath without pain nor sleep on my left side.  So if worse comes to worse, I'll set a PR for my slowest 5k.  But I'll have fun doing it!!!

And to catch up for a week or so ago.....I do Special Assets for a regional bank here in the Southeast.  Basically once a loan gets to 90 days past due, is "upside down" loan to value wise or is just a jacked up credit it becomes mine.  My options are to try and right side the loan, short sell it and foreclose.  Luckily my boss is cool(and he is 4 hours away) so when days get stressful I just leave and go swim laps for an hour or so.  It's stressful but apparently I've found a positive way to deal with the stress.  Now if BT would make an iPhone app so I can read the forums in the app my day would be set.

Happy Mardi Gras everyone!!!!!!  It's carnival season and I plan to take in my limit.

Great news on the recovery! Glad you are feeling better. It is so true that working out is a major mental health aid. I always feel grumpy when I miss too many workouts.

You job sounds really interesting, plus, I know that the remote work thing can be nice.

And, I do think there is a BT app. Click on the Mobile button at the top of the page.

2012-02-02 8:34 AM

New user

Glad you guys are all recovering well.  Race dreams I think are part of the "fun".  I usually dream that I make a wrong turn on the course.

I have my race this weekend.  It should be chilly and rainy so the trail run will be a mud bowl.  I had to change my plan for the race bc I hurt my knee a few weeks back.  Instead of testing my run fitness I am going to run, hobble and enjoy the day.  Not upset or even bummed.  This race sells out super fast bc it is so challenging and fun (best swag in the area).  Kid running the kid trail event and a ton of GA BTers run this race. 

After Sunday I am resting my knee for a bit.. it even hurts to swim so it will be my turn to be the grumpy couch potato. Yell

2012-02-02 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4025014

User image

Master
Chicaskeeper - 2012-02-02 8:34 AM

Glad you guys are all recovering well.  Race dreams I think are part of the "fun".  I usually dream that I make a wrong turn on the course.

I have my race this weekend.  It should be chilly and rainy so the trail run will be a mud bowl.  I had to change my plan for the race bc I hurt my knee a few weeks back.  Instead of testing my run fitness I am going to run, hobble and enjoy the day.  Not upset or even bummed.  This race sells out super fast bc it is so challenging and fun (best swag in the area).  Kid running the kid trail event and a ton of GA BTers run this race. 

After Sunday I am resting my knee for a bit.. it even hurts to swim so it will be my turn to be the grumpy couch potato. Yell

Sounds like a fun race. Take care of the knee!!!!

If it is muddy, you have to post pics.

2012-02-03 7:57 AM

User image

Master

WOW, where did the week go? 

Did a fair bit of running this week, but not biking. I need to bike, swim, or both today to get caught up.

Planning for a brick tomorrow and then bike on Sunday I think.

Anyone got plans for the weekend?

2012-02-03 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Got in a good run, swim, run brick this morning. My house is 3 miles away from the YMCA so I had to take advantage.

Weather wise we set a record for high temp in the middle of the week and now they are saying 12-15 inches of snow today and tomorrow. First half of my run was good and weather was about 45 and calm. Then after my swim (about 40 minutes later) I walked outside and it was pouring rain and the temp dropped quite a bit. Nothing much I could do but zip up the jacket and go. It was almost kinda fun running in the rain. Don't get me wrong it was very very cold and my socks and shoes were very wet but there was something about running in the rain that makes you feel like a kid again. As I was waiting at a stoplight there was a guy in his car waiting as well. He looked at me who was soaking wet, water dripping down my face at 6 in the morning, he chuckled a bit and shook his head. I gave him a big smile and a thumbs up as the light turned green. Yep, I'm a triathlete.

Edited by jpfeife 2012-02-03 9:30 AM
2012-02-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4027387

User image

Master
jpfeife - 2012-02-03 9:27 AM

Got in a good run, swim, run brick this morning. My house is 3 miles away from the YMCA so I had to take advantage.

Weather wise we set a record for high temp in the middle of the week and now they are saying 12-15 inches of snow today and tomorrow. First half of my run was good and weather was about 45 and calm. Then after my swim (about 40 minutes later) I walked outside and it was pouring rain and the temp dropped quite a bit. Nothing much I could do but zip up the jacket and go. It was almost kinda fun running in the rain. Don't get me wrong it was very very cold and my socks and shoes were very wet but there was something about running in the rain that makes you feel like a kid again. As I was waiting at a stoplight there was a guy in his car waiting as well. He looked at me who was soaking wet, water dripping down my face at 6 in the morning, he chuckled a bit and shook his head. I gave him a big smile and a thumbs up as the light turned green. Yep, I'm a triathlete.

I am with you. I got stuck in a rainstorm during a 8.5 mile run last night. I couldn't help but smile and laugh at myself.

2012-02-03 7:33 PM

User image

New user
Sunshine State (where it always rains lol)
Double bridge run tomorrow really excited I got my bib and had my pasta dinner now I'm just chilling out with my friend at the hotel waiting for tomorrow. Wish us luck oh and good luck Bufit
2012-02-03 8:49 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL
Thanks Swim_turtle!!!! I switched to the 5k due to the accident. Needless to say this will be interesting. Pick up my bib, had a great pasta dinner, 4 or 6 cold carb loading beer pops. Now it time for bed and a nice run over the bridge. Anyone else down here me and a buddy will be in black Team MMS shirts, make sure to say "hi"
2012-02-04 5:32 AM

New user

Goodluck to all racing! You got this.

Mitch I thought of you last weekend when I did the most beautiful face plant on a trail run.  I rolled onto my bottom and decided this was a great place to fuel/hydrate and watch the river.  Nothing broken or hurt..just a great fall into slimy GA clay.

2012-02-04 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Good luck racers.

Mother Nature dumped 9 inches of snow on us last night with another 8 inches expected. On Tuesday it was 74 here. Most likely a couple days off for me.

2012-02-04 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4029005

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Chicaskeeper - 2012-02-04 3:32 AM

Goodluck to all racing! You got this.

Mitch I thought of you last weekend when I did the most beautiful face plant on a trail run.  I rolled onto my bottom and decided this was a great place to fuel/hydrate and watch the river.  Nothing broken or hurt..just a great fall into slimy GA clay.

They say your not a trail runner until you take a tumble!  Love it!!

Good luck to all the racers!

2012-02-04 6:45 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Well I survived the Double Bridge Run.  Im glad I swapped from the 15k to the 5k.  I don't think I could have held up for that distance with my ribs still not 100% and the 11-13 mph head wind wasn't nice either.  Official 5k time was 34:30.  Not my best by any means but I am very pleased since I haven't put on the running shoes since Jan 7.  Gives me the confidence to slowly start working my way back up in mileage and in the pool.  Thanks for all the encouragement!!!!

Lexi - How did you end up doing today?

**Edit**  I just look closely at my HR numbers - Avg 180  Max 198 which equates to 97% of Max on the Avg and 107% of Max on the Max.  Yep, glad I didn't push it up the rest of the bridge.  Surprised198 bmp max Surprised

Edited by bufit 2012-02-04 7:00 PM
2012-02-04 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4029725

User image

Master
bufit - 2012-02-04 6:45 PM

Well I survived the Double Bridge Run.  Im glad I swapped from the 15k to the 5k.  I don't think I could have held up for that distance with my ribs still not 100% and the 11-13 mph head wind wasn't nice either.  Official 5k time was 34:30.  Not my best by any means but I am very pleased since I haven't put on the running shoes since Jan 7.  Gives me the confidence to slowly start working my way back up in mileage and in the pool.  Thanks for all the encouragement!!!!

Lexi - How did you end up doing today?

**Edit**  I just look closely at my HR numbers - Avg 180  Max 198 which equates to 97% of Max on the Avg and 107% of Max on the Max.  Yep, glad I didn't push it up the rest of the bridge.  Surprised198 bmp max Surprised

Way to go on your run! Those are some crazy HR numbers. Where did you get your max from, and when did you test it?

Great time considering how long it has been since you ran.

2012-02-04 8:38 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL
The Garmin started screaming at me at 190 as I was going up the bridge( my first / Lexi's second).  Made it half way up and slowed to a walk and did a Carotid pulse check and the down and dirty check was 200 in rough rounded numbers.  Ive hit the low 190's before, even pulled a 196 after a live fire evolution while teaching Firefighter II.  I guess next winter I will be doing HR training.

2012-02-05 12:35 AM

User image

New user
Sunshine State (where it always rains lol)
Well today was a good day. My net time was 1:29:17. It said I was doing a 9:35 pace on the race results. The wind was a little rough, but all in all it was a good run. Mile 7 was when I felt it the bottom of my feet were on fire and now I have blisters to prove it, but it was totally worth it. I looked out for you Bufit, but there were soooo many people lol You did good especially since it had been a while since you ran last.
2012-02-05 1:43 PM

User image

Master

Way to go to both of you for a great run!

Lexi, do you get blisters a lot? My wife used to get blisters, and now uses glide on her feet.

I think blisters have a lot to do with socks as well, and have switched to Balega socks thin socks, which seems to help prevent blisters for me.

2012-02-05 3:08 PM

New user

Great job on the races!  I am very impressed.

Loved my trail run.  Sorry no muddy pictures was just muddy not swampy.  With my change of plan I set a goal of 2:45... must have eaten my wheaties bc I came in 2:30.

2012-02-08 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4030572

User image

Master
Chicaskeeper - 2012-02-05 3:08 PM

Great job on the races!  I am very impressed.

Loved my trail run.  Sorry no muddy pictures was just muddy not swampy.  With my change of plan I set a goal of 2:45... must have eaten my wheaties bc I came in 2:30.

Way to go! that is great. There are few feelings better than beating a goal time!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16