BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2012-01-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3945488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full!
I'm sore too! I hope you feel better.I have a question about recovery weeks. How much do you back off? I have to travel for work in two weeks and am thinking I will push one more week and align my recovery week to my trip. Should be a good chance to catch up on sleep with no toddler waking up at 2 am. Also, tons of oxygen at sea level. So, how much should I back off? I'm hoping to have time to read my training plan book and decide what to do while I'm flying. Does anyone else travel for work (I only have to go a few times a year now) and how do you work around your workouts?

2012-01-23 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4006190

User image

Regular
Drayton

Moonrocket - 2012-01-23 2:00 PM I'm sore too! I hope you feel better.I have a question about recovery weeks. How much do you back off? I have to travel for work in two weeks and am thinking I will push one more week and align my recovery week to my trip. Should be a good chance to catch up on sleep with no toddler waking up at 2 am. Also, tons of oxygen at sea level. So, how much should I back off? I'm hoping to have time to read my training plan book and decide what to do while I'm flying. Does anyone else travel for work (I only have to go a few times a year now) and how do you work around your workouts?

I keep it pretty light on recovery weeks. I keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone. When I used to travel for work, I'd do the hotel stairs for like 20 mins or so after breakfast. I always found it hard to actually get in real gym time since when i'd be done with meetings, we'd have to have dinner, etc, etc.

2012-01-23 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks!  Meetings/ dinners keep my time super packed - so I know where you're coming from.

I just tried the custom training plan builder and it's awesome (Programs- Free Programs- Custom in the pull down.)  I was able to play with all of the distances to get a plan that looked good for a half iron relay swim followed by an Xterra.  I chose an Olympic plan but increased the swim length (1800) and decreased the bike (18m) and run (5m).  To get a plan that would align to my somewhat strange race plan.  I totally want to sign up to dump it into my log.  Does anyone know if Bronze will let me do that?  What more details do you get on detailed plans?  I'm trying to figure out what level I need.

2012-01-23 7:25 PM

User image

Champion

Moonrocket - 2012-01-23 12:00 PM I'm sore too! I hope you feel better.I have a question about recovery weeks. How much do you back off? I have to travel for work in two weeks and am thinking I will push one more week and align my recovery week to my trip. Should be a good chance to catch up on sleep with no toddler waking up at 2 am. Also, tons of oxygen at sea level. So, how much should I back off? I'm hoping to have time to read my training plan book and decide what to do while I'm flying. Does anyone else travel for work (I only have to go a few times a year now) and how do you work around your workouts?

How much you back off depends on what your time restrictions are. I would try to get something done every day. Get up in the morning before you have to start doing things and hit up the hotel gym/pool for 20-30min if that is all you can get it. If you can stick more to your training plan rest week then great! DOn't bank on being able to to it at the end of the day because one thing always turns into another! Hobnobbing and schmooozing and all that! Haha. 

I traveled a lot during the summer while I was training for the IM. I had to drive down to Vancouver, fly to Iowa, back 2 weeks later, back to Vancouver, etc because I was doing research in a lab and had electives back home. I tried to make sure I did minimum 1hr of s/b/r on the driving days. (its about a 15hr drive and I spread it over 2 days). So I would do in the morning before I started to drive and then another hour when I stopped for the day if I felt I could...

2012-01-23 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4006893

User image

Champion
Moonrocket - 2012-01-23 4:53 PM

Thanks!  Meetings/ dinners keep my time super packed - so I know where you're coming from.

I just tried the custom training plan builder and it's awesome (Programs- Free Programs- Custom in the pull down.)  I was able to play with all of the distances to get a plan that looked good for a half iron relay swim followed by an Xterra.  I chose an Olympic plan but increased the swim length (1800) and decreased the bike (18m) and run (5m).  To get a plan that would align to my somewhat strange race plan.  I totally want to sign up to dump it into my log.  Does anyone know if Bronze will let me do that?  What more details do you get on detailed plans?  I'm trying to figure out what level I need.

I think you need a gold membership to use the custom planner and upload the plans. Pretty sure anyways, you could always PM marmadaddy and ask.

The more detailed plans generally give more specifics for the workouts rather than just time. Sets and the effort level of the workouts. Rather than 40min run it might give you something like "10min WU, 5x2min up hill with 2min recovery and 10min WD".

2012-01-23 8:52 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Moonrocket - 2012-01-23 1:00 PM I'm sore too! I hope you feel better.I have a question about recovery weeks. How much do you back off? I have to travel for work in two weeks and am thinking I will push one more week and align my recovery week to my trip. Should be a good chance to catch up on sleep with no toddler waking up at 2 am. Also, tons of oxygen at sea level. So, how much should I back off? I'm hoping to have time to read my training plan book and decide what to do while I'm flying. Does anyone else travel for work (I only have to go a few times a year now) and how do you work around your workouts?

My general rule of thumb is to do about 60-80% of the previous week's volume, depending on how worn down I feel.  I keep all the workouts light in intensity too.  Nothing hard.  Trying to coincide these weeks with travel or other life events/complications is always a good idea.  It's much easier to justify missing a workout when it's a recovery weeks

2012-01-23 8:59 PM

User image

Regular
Drayton

good nutrition is hard. my message of the day.

lol

2012-01-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4007180

User image

Champion
hexbinary - 2012-01-23 7:59 PM

lol

What specifically do you have challenges with? 

Good nutrition takes work and can be a struggle. It is really all about advance planning to have to avoid fast food, vending machines, etc. I have to pack my food the night before (and by food for the most part I mean bfast, snacks and lunch because I leave the house before bfast most of the time to workout....sometimes I even need supper depending on my day schedule) I have also learned to have a "contingency meal" in place (I have a uncle ben's rice n sauce, a fruit cup and dried fruit thingy) in case I get stuck at the hospital beyond the time I planned. So ya....I literally carry around a bag of food, but it keeps the hungry monster at bay and me away from `less than good` nutrition choices! When I get lazy I try to stick with healthier options or small portions of less healthy options. Sometimes that crashes and burns....but I've been doing pretty well lately!

If you have to eat out opt for the healthier choices on the menus and when you go out for dinner, a salad with some form of protein is a pretty good choice (most of the time depending on dressing). I have been a fan of a salad with sliced steak on top! Yummm! Try to have a fruit or vegetable with every meal/snack. It doesn't have to be a full serving, but for a snack having say 1/2 apple with whatever else will help you get your daily recommended intake. 

2012-01-23 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4003816

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
WOW those peanut butter squeeze shots sound awesome!!! I googled them and my goodness the hazelnut one sounds to die for!!! The bad news tho, they don't have any retailers by me and don't ship to Canada!!!! ahhhhhhh worst!! Why does the USA always get the good stuff!!
2012-01-23 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4007231

User image

Regular
Drayton
mndymond - 2012-01-23 10:26 PM

lol

Good nutrition takes work and can be a struggle. It is really all about advance planning to have to avoid fast food, vending machines, etc. I have to pack my food the night before (and by food for the most part I mean bfast, snacks and lunch because I leave the house before bfast most of the time to workout....sometimes I even need supper depending on my day schedule) I have also learned to have a "contingency meal" in place (I have a uncle ben's rice n sauce, a fruit cup and dried fruit thingy) in case I get stuck at the hospital beyond the time I planned. So ya....I literally carry around a bag of food, but it keeps the hungry monster at bay and me away from `less than good` nutrition choices! When I get lazy I try to stick with healthier options or small portions of less healthy options. Sometimes that crashes and burns....but I've been doing pretty well lately!

If you have to eat out opt for the healthier choices on the menus and when you go out for dinner, a salad with some form of protein is a pretty good choice (most of the time depending on dressing). I have been a fan of a salad with sliced steak on top! Yummm! Try to have a fruit or vegetable with every meal/snack. It doesn't have to be a full serving, but for a snack having say 1/2 apple with whatever else will help you get your daily recommended intake. 

I've been working really hard on eating way cleaner...and my macros turn out really good, but my calories are way down. I just feel full all the time eating this way. Be nice to actually feel hungry and not like i'm going to explode all the time lol. By the way, I'm trying to gain mass right now (12 week program).

It's just a matter of finding the right balance I guess..I thought I was doing awesome by fixing what I was eating and supplementing better, but then I put everything in fitday today, and was shocked at my caloric deficit..like 1500 short of my target.

2012-01-23 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4007257

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

opppsss!! i figured it out, they do ship to Canada but to ship the product is expensive!!! for about $40 of product the shipping cost is about $20!!!

2012-01-23 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4007281

User image

Champion
hexbinary - 2012-01-23 9:12 PM
mndymond - 2012-01-23 10:26 PM

lol

I've been working really hard on eating way cleaner...and my macros turn out really good, but my calories are way down. I just feel full all the time eating this way. Be nice to actually feel hungry and not like i'm going to explode all the time lol. By the way, I'm trying to gain mass right now (12 week program).

It's just a matter of finding the right balance I guess..I thought I was doing awesome by fixing what I was eating and supplementing better, but then I put everything in fitday today, and was shocked at my caloric deficit..like 1500 short of my target.

I'd say it is probably the protein making you feel kind of full all the time. Additionally make sure you can tolerate those supplements. Depending on the source of the protein, some people can have difficulty with specific kinds as far as GI tolerance goes. How many calories a day are you aiming for? To have a 1500cal deficit, must be fairly high? That in itself can peeve off your body if it isn't used to it!
2012-01-23 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4007292

User image

Regular
Drayton

ya, i figured out that whey protein shake first thing in the morning is BAD.

looking for around 3000-3200 calories a day right now. I am doing quite a bit of strength training plus the running.

When I don't eat clean, it's sooo easy to eat 2500-3000 calories a day...i'm going to try to mix in a bit of high GI carbs throughout the day, and see how that works out.

It's going to take me the whole 12 weeks to get the eating down, then i'll be into more triathlon/fat burning training, and will have to change it up again, lol.

2012-01-23 10:31 PM
in reply to: #4007290

User image

Regular
Drayton
rydergal - 2012-01-23 11:22 PM

opppsss!! i figured it out, they do ship to Canada but to ship the product is expensive!!! for about $40 of product the shipping cost is about $20!!!

if you make a big order, the shipping cost may not change...but I've had that problem with ordering stuff online from the US before too..the worst is when you get dinged for GST/duties when it arrives!

2012-01-23 10:34 PM

User image

Regular
Drayton

Completely unrelated..but Melissa, are you guys using an EMR in med school for charting?

2012-01-24 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4007298

User image

Champion
hexbinary - 2012-01-23 9:34 PM

Completely unrelated..but Melissa, are you guys using an EMR in med school for charting?

Yup. We do. EMRs are a love-hate relationship unfortunately. I think I've used about 3 within the past 6 months and they are all different. It's good once all the info has been imputed, but that process is a pain. We also have a centralized data system on top of the EMRs in AB with access to all medical records and labs/etc that I separate. The EMRs are more private office driven, the hospitals are not there yet!

2012-01-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4008032

User image

Regular
Drayton
mndymond - 2012-01-24 11:33 AM

Yup. We do. EMRs are a love-hate relationship unfortunately. I think I've used about 3 within the past 6 months and they are all different. It's good once all the info has been imputed, but that process is a pain. We also have a centralized data system on top of the EMRs in AB with access to all medical records and labs/etc that I separate. The EMRs are more private office driven, the hospitals are not there yet!

Cool..I'm a core developer on the OSCAR EMR. We don't have Alberta billing yet though..just BC, Ontario, Quebec. Doing alot of work to make it more applicable to hospital ambulatory clinics instead of just primary care physicians; integration with HIS, portals, etc.

2012-01-24 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4008066

User image

Champion
Bronze member
hexbinary - 2012-01-24 11:45 AM

Cool..I'm a core developer on the OSCAR EMR. We don't have Alberta billing yet though..just BC, Ontario, Quebec. Doing alot of work to make it more applicable to hospital ambulatory clinics instead of just primary care physicians; integration with HIS, portals, etc.

I am an idiot. I read that as Oscar meyer!

2012-01-24 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4008066

User image

Champion
hexbinary - 2012-01-24 9:45 AM

Haha. Oh billing....so complicated....703.1, 744.6...blah blah blah...not something I am looking forward too...

It would be interesting to see that system within the hospitals. It would be a huge learning curve and super expensive....but eventually it might reduce some of the stupid medical errors that happen due to written orders/missed orders/etc and would be better for open communication between consults/staff/residents/etc. I've used the EMR for some subspecialty clinics in the hospital where the docs just somehow "personalized" the EMR to their specific needs. The wards probably couldn't handle an EMR at this point though. Just too over-run as it is with day to day stuff.....

2012-01-24 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4007290

User image

Champion
rydergal - 2012-01-23 9:22 PM

Ya...most of the companies down there are like that with the shipping. Occasionally you can get lucky and get free shipping to Canada...but not too often....booooo

2012-01-24 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4007296

User image

Champion
hexbinary - 2012-01-23 9:30 PM

ya, i figured out that whey protein shake first thing in the morning is BAD.

looking for around 3000-3200 calories a day right now. I am doing quite a bit of strength training plus the running.

When I don't eat clean, it's sooo easy to eat 2500-3000 calories a day...i'm going to try to mix in a bit of high GI carbs throughout the day, and see how that works out.

It's going to take me the whole 12 weeks to get the eating down, then i'll be into more triathlon/fat burning training, and will have to change it up again, lol.

Ah. My brother did something like this when he started track and field a few years ago. I know you are only planning on going for 12 weeks. But a diet so high in protein isn't super sustainable....if you hit the point where your colon is angry, then you def need to add in the carbs (specifically fiber---or start taking some metamucil with the high protein). Unhappy colon=unhappy person if you know what I mean! 

Hope you figure out what works with you!

2012-01-24 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4008564

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Haha i had a bit of a chuckle at this one!
2012-01-24 10:54 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Anyone else here see a naturopathic doctor? Now i know a few of you might have other thoughts being in the medical field! But i just wanted to put it out there...I've been working with one for the past year and amazed at the things I have found out about my body and what it likes and doesnt like. I really think my training has improved so much from the stuff I have learned and changed in my life ( from food, vitamins, cleanses, and products used on my skin) I feel more energetic then I ever have!!
2012-01-25 6:45 AM

User image

I still have pain in my right hip that runs down toward my right knee. I'm going to see a chriro and a physio for some ART and stretching later this evening. Had a good swim today, but didn't run for fear of making things worse. Am beginning to feel antsy as I haven't run since Sat. and that's the longest dry spell since I started running more seriously in September.
2012-01-25 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a really dumb question that I'm hoping the Candians can help me with.  I need to get a wetsuit and 19 is my lucky number, so when I saw I could get a wetsuit with a big 19 on it, I was intrigued.  Does anyone know anything about this brand?

Thanks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full! Rss Feed  

of 18