General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-02-04 9:39 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by Mfechter67

Originally posted by Fechter99

No workouts for me for the past couple of days - well unless you want to call the almost 900 calories I burned yesterday moving snow for 90 minutes. Man do my arms ache...We have more bad weather coming for tomorrow morning so it is likely that I won't make it to the gym early tomorrow either. I have to really get my butt onto the trainer and get some bike time...just finding it SOOO boring. I am so ready for spring. I read somewhere that there are only 15 Mondays until Memorial Day. Doesn't seem so far away when you think in those term.

What do you have on tap for the next couple of days?

I need to get off my butt! I haven't run since Saturday. This weather has me all messed up. Icy in the morning so i cant get to the gym. Early closure of the gym due to weather.

Well, you know what they say, excuses are like... and they all stink!

I WILL workout tomorrow, even if that means miles in the basement on the trainer! I also got the P90X plan from a friend, so I might give that a try.

Like I always say. If you can not run. Swim if you can not swim then bike.

2014-02-05 7:40 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

3.5 miles of treadmill last night and most of it was walking.  Did 30 minutes of scooping snow before hand.  Will probably do an hour of snow blowing and scooping tonight when I get home from work and then probably 20 miles on the trainer.  Swimming was my hope, but swim team takes priority and they have the pool.

2014-02-05 10:52 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
After reading everyone's posts about the weather I now feel like a big wimp here in Southern California. I really have no excuses not to get out.

I have signed up for a tri with a 500M swim in April (bought a wet suit and everything!). My biggest problem is of my own making. I fear looking foolish (I certainly don't look like a triathlete), and of failing....intellectually I know that is wrong, but in my heart I just can't shake that feeling. I have completed 5 marathons but the tri people just intimidate me. I think the running community is more friendly. Does anyone else feel this way?

So I have been pool swimming and was wondering how that will compare to the open water swim. How much distance in the pool should I be able to do to be able to swim 500m comfortably? How much slower will I be in open water vs. pool?

Donna

2014-02-06 6:21 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by luvschips

After reading everyone's posts about the weather I now feel like a big wimp here in Southern California. I really have no excuses not to get out.

I have signed up for a tri with a 500M swim in April (bought a wet suit and everything!). My biggest problem is of my own making. I fear looking foolish (I certainly don't look like a triathlete), and of failing....intellectually I know that is wrong, but in my heart I just can't shake that feeling. I have completed 5 marathons but the tri people just intimidate me. I think the running community is more friendly. Does anyone else feel this way?

So I have been pool swimming and was wondering how that will compare to the open water swim. How much distance in the pool should I be able to do to be able to swim 500m comfortably? How much slower will I be in open water vs. pool?

Donna

I thought the same thing until I volunteered at the NJ State Tri. I saw so many shapes and sizes and the people were all so supportive of each other. I saw guys bigger than me and they were out there doing it. That's what made me say "I can do this!"

Don't be intimidated, you can do this. I'm sure you'll find it a rewarding experience.

As far as swimming, the general rule of thumb I have heard is double your open water goal in the pool without stopping. So for a 500m OWS do 1000m straight in the pool.
2014-02-06 6:24 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Well, I hope you'll still allow me to stay in the group...

I got on the scale this morning. I lost 1 lb this week and dropped below 220 for the first time in I don't know how many years (a lot!). So, officially, I am no longer a Clyde.

I hope you'll let me stay!

2014-02-06 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
I am happy to see this group open again. After a couple of years of not really training or doing well with my weight, I'd like to truly get back into triathlons. If you've have me, I'll post a full bio later (likely at lunch) but I do hope I can join this merry band of like-minded folks.

2014-02-06 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by luvschips After reading everyone's posts about the weather I now feel like a big wimp here in Southern California. I really have no excuses not to get out. I have signed up for a tri with a 500M swim in April (bought a wet suit and everything!). My biggest problem is of my own making. I fear looking foolish (I certainly don't look like a triathlete), and of failing....intellectually I know that is wrong, but in my heart I just can't shake that feeling. I have completed 5 marathons but the tri people just intimidate me. I think the running community is more friendly. Does anyone else feel this way? So I have been pool swimming and was wondering how that will compare to the open water swim. How much distance in the pool should I be able to do to be able to swim 500m comfortably? How much slower will I be in open water vs. pool? Donna

I feel your pain. I was there and talked myself out of several good experiences because of the voices in my head. Turns out, they were truly in my head. Other folks are supportive, remember that. Now... put that wet suit on and go ahead and get it wet. You will regret it if you do not practice swimming in it before your race. You can take it to the pool, too. (remember, who cares what folks think.. you tell them you are training for a tri and they get all filled with admiration for you). Swimming in it feels different. Not bad, but different. With all you have to think about race day, you want to not have anything you don't know about happen. Practice getting out of it, too so you know what to expect at transition time. I HIGHLY reccomend getting some open water time in before your race, too. For the same reasons, you want to know how it feels to be in salt water vs. pool, waves, the need to sight, etc.

It was the hardest thing I ever did to put on skimpy clothes and have this manatee/ hippo go and play with the sharks, jaguars, and arab horses. It turns out, the sharks, jaguars and horses don't  mind if hippos play with them... or the totally ignore them. which is just the same.

2014-02-06 7:42 AM
in reply to: Sulcus

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Sulcus I am happy to see this group open again. After a couple of years of not really training or doing well with my weight, I'd like to truly get back into triathlons. If you've have me, I'll post a full bio later (likely at lunch) but I do hope I can join this merry band of like-minded folks.

2014-02-06 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Mfechter67 Well, I hope you'll still allow me to stay in the group... I got on the scale this morning. I lost 1 lb this week and dropped below 220 for the first time in I don't know how many years (a lot!). So, officially, I am no longer a Clyde. I hope you'll let me stay!

EXCELLENT  milestone!

2014-02-06 7:45 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well never heard the of double for open water. For 500m swim it is not a bad idea to build to 1k. I know my 5K open water was not like 10k pool swim. Just important to practice sighting and make sure you can swim straight.

Well some triathletes are jerk and just like some runners are jerks. I think most are pretty friendly.
2014-02-06 7:50 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut

I got on the scale this morning. I lost 1 lb this week and dropped below 220 for the first time in I don't know how many years (a lot!). So, officially, I am no longer a Clyde.

Jeeze Mike eat a sandwich already, your wasting away!!!! ;P

Had a great swim yesterday and got some coaching during my session as well. Amazing what a cpl small observations and tweaks can do to transform the feel of your stroke! Also watched an interesting webinar last night about "fueling" for triathletes and nutrition, if any of you are on twitter I often post these things when I find them - @260totri was an interesting discussion about metabolic nutrition and getting rid of the gels and drinks and what not. Once I get the notes from the webinar I'll put up a cpl of the more interesting points.

2014-02-06 7:57 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by luvschips

Donna

I have personally found triathletes to be some of the most supportive giving people I have ever met! A cpl years ago when I had no business doing it, I rode the bike leg of a sprint tri as a team and clearly I was struggling but person after person that blew by me took the time to yell out an encouragement and it really drove me to push on. In addition I have had people hook me up with great deals on used parts for my bike and what not just to help out a newbie and support the sport. Don't fear just do, you are out there to compete against yourself, much like myself I'm guessing your desire is to finish and not win, so put everything else out of mind and just focus on you in the moment. And trust me this is coming from a guy that if I was to lay on the beach in a wetsuit I'm certain well doers would try to push me back in to save me
2014-02-06 7:58 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Woohoo another Nor' Easterner to feel my weather pain Welcome!!!!
2014-02-06 8:25 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

-18 temperature this morning and -30 with the wind chill in sunny southwest Iowa.  Did a 10 mile drainer ride before I had to go to my shop and work on some art projects after a 12 hour day at work last night.  No workout planned for tonight because of changes in plans made at 9:00 last night.  So we have a birthday dinner that is scheduled at the only time I can get a workout in and then a 2-3 hour music practice for my band.  Too many things in my life to focus on tri things.  I will make up for it on Friday night hopefully.

2014-02-06 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4916495

Been gone for a while and I see people have been working hard, and some new folks have joined as well. Awesome! Congrats, Mike on dropping below the Clyde weight limit! Of course you can stay.

As for me, I've been on vacation all week in Arizona. I brought my running shoes with me to get some runs in the sunshine, but have been so busy chasing kids that I haven't had time to use them. I did get a 30+ mile bike ride in, and that felt great. While I love being on vacation, I am excited to get home and start my next phase of training; the half marathon plan. Unfortunately I will be returning to bitter cold and snow snow snow. so now I will be forced inside to the treadmill for the first time this winter, yuck! Hopefully it won't last and I will be outside in a couple weeks.

Keep it up all!
2014-02-06 8:51 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

You guys are funny here! I really like that!

THANK YOU for all the advice and encouragement. My mind can be a terrible and restrictive prison. I didn't show up for a tri last year and still regret it. But this year is different....as you pointed out, there will be all abilities out there and shapes and attitudes :-)

Must confess - overslept but need to swim later...

Have a great day and stay warm you guys! It's going to be a chilly 65 today where I am at. It rained so my commute will double because people in southern california can't drive unless the sun is out.

Donna

2014-02-06 8:53 AM

User image

CONGRATULATIONS! That is awesome and motivating!!!!
2014-02-06 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
How do I join the group?
2014-02-06 11:01 AM
in reply to: Fatboy32

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by Fatboy32

How do I join the group?

It depends are you a level 12 Cleric? We are in a bad need of one! Haha geek humor

But seriously, you need to compose an essay explaining in detail why you posses the awesomeness to be a part of this EXTREMELY close knit group that formed less than a month ago

Ok in all seriousness, write a bio like detailed in the first cpl posts way back on page 1, and then BRING THE AWESOME! (sorry again the humor, I'm a little slap happy today!)
2014-02-06 11:02 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut

How do I join the group?

Ohhh just noticed your Canadian, just bring Poutine and your in!
2014-02-06 11:05 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Look at me three posts in a row! Colin aren't you the guy that writes the awesome race day blog reports from your races? If you are I love reading your stuff, very inspirational and insightful stuff, welcome aboard!

2014-02-06 3:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Wahoo! We are sticky posted on the clyde/athena forum and as long as you all don't mind, I would like to keep us permanently open so that anyone who wants to join us can do that.

Peter thanks so much for keeping us laughing and holding down the fort so to speak while Mike and I are unable to post. I love that the group keeps posting and communicating even when we can't. I would to read the info about metabolic nutrition when you get a chance.
I cannot wait for the weather to warm up here in the northeast! I am so over snow, ice and freezing cold! Nice job on your swim. I just need to get back in the pool regularly. I just hate the thought of hitting the pool when it is SOOO cold in the morning.

Donna, welcome to the group! I have to agree with what everyone else has posted so far, do this for yourself, not what others think and with the exception of a small few, you will quickly see that the vast majority of triathletes welcome everyone. Heck even the small group that do judge, I think are glad we are out there because it gives them a few more to finish in front of I have learned not to worry about what I look like because like others have said I have inspired others to get out there as well. Look at it this way, you are way better than those who don't try at all and you can easily be the inspiration for some other ordinary person to get active. And, i would just about kill for 65 degrees right about now! Funny how differently we view temps, huh? welcome and when you get a second, please complete the bio on the first couple of pages of the group so that we can get to know you.

Flip, don't be so hard on yourself when you don't get a workout it, commend yourself for when you do!! Just take it one day at time and no regrets for what you can or cannot fit into the busy day.

Shawn, welcome and when you get a second, please complete the bio on the first couple of pages of the group so that we can get to know you.

Welcome back Matt! Glad you had a nice vacation and have been there, done that when best intentions to get in a workout but honestly, I think spending that time with family is more important than anything else.

Colin, welcome to the group...just that simple you have joined! As Peter said, when you get a chance complete the bio which was posted on the first page or so. This will allow us to get to know you and what your goals are for this season. Congrats on the weight loss so far!

Lastly, congratulations to my amazing, wonderful, supportive husband, Mike for no longer being an official clyde. I am so proud of him for the accomplishments and motivation he continually provides me as we make lifestyle changes so that we are healthy, not on a diet!

Edited by Fechter99 2014-02-06 3:10 PM
2014-02-06 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
Hi all, my name is Colin Hackett and as one of the previous posters mentioned I write a blog about being a clydesdale and all that entails. I have completed 5 Ironman races to date and have registered for 3 more this year. My mission is to get to Kona by entering the Legacy Lottery. To do this I have to complete 12 Ironman brand full distance races. So far so good.

In lieu of posting a bio I thought I'd post a link to the bio I wrote on my blog. Hope you enjoy this one and the others I've written. I try and mix in as much humor as possible to make it palatable http://trifattytri.blogspot.ca/2013/07/who-is-this-guy-meet-author....
2014-02-06 5:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hi all, my name is Colin Hackett and as one of the previous posters mentioned I write a blog about being a clydesdale and all that entails. I have completed 5 Ironman races to date and have registered for 3 more this year. My mission is to get to Kona by entering the Legacy Lottery. To do this I have to complete 12 Ironman brand full distance races. So far so good.

In lieu of posting a bio I thought I'd post a link to the bio I wrote on my blog. Hope you enjoy this one and the others I've written. I try and mix in as much humor as possible to make it palatable http://trifattytri.blogspot.ca/2013/07/who-is-this-guy-meet-author....

That works! I definitely enjoyed reading your intro post and will be reading more but will wait until my brain isn't totally fried from a crazy day at work. Glad to have you with us and am sure you will be able to share lots of thought and insight to the whole training and fitting in family at the same time.
2014-02-06 10:46 PM

User image

Any recommendations on "tri suits"?

I think I would feel more comfortable in a two piece but I was wondering what has worked for you all. Are they all pretty much the same or is one brand better than another. I know I can try them on at a store but I know that is a lot different than wearing it for an entire race...

Thanks!
Donna
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28160 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100344 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?