BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2014-06-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: shanehurley497

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K)
I rode my bike to the pool and on the way back home, as I stopped at a red light and looked down to grab my water, I saw my shadow with the bike helmet pointy end in the front, backwards. I laughed at myself for not realizing I had put it on backwards while leaving the pool and rode half way home that way. FIxed it and went on. I've also realized another day, while riding home from the pool, that I had not even locked up my bike while running and swimming. My mind is not getting the oxygen it needs, or something. Old age? Just thought I'd share my silly story.

2014-06-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K)
Originally posted by Kris67

I rode my bike to the pool and on the way back home, as I stopped at a red light and looked down to grab my water, I saw my shadow with the bike helmet pointy end in the front, backwards. I laughed at myself for not realizing I had put it on backwards while leaving the pool and rode half way home that way. FIxed it and went on. I've also realized another day, while riding home from the pool, that I had not even locked up my bike while running and swimming. My mind is not getting the oxygen it needs, or something. Old age? Just thought I'd share my silly story.

Thanks for the laugh My O my gosh moment was during my first Olympic Tri last year and ironically my first Mentor Group. I was there after having trained well, completing quit a few events, and thinking, man I have really got this figured out. So the race kicks off and I have a really good swim, T1, Bike, super fast T2 and start running out for the run at which time a person starts yelling sir your helmet. I promptly respond with a smile and say, "I'm already done with the bike, I'm headed out for the run portion". They smile back and say basically, I understand that you are headed out for the run, which is why you need to take off your bike helmet . Talk about feeling like a goof ball. I guess that was the negative to me finding a helmet that fit really well and was super comfortable.
2014-06-18 4:16 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed
Today was a banner training day! I biked to work, DH brought stuff and kids. 11.5 miles, best speed yet. Then at lunch I did a swim workout, felt OK, got it done, and one workout closer to swimming straight. DH offered to take the kids home and do the grocery shopping, so I got an unplanned bike ride home! There are a couple of really fun downhills on the way home, wheeeeeeee!

Tomorrow is basically off except for a short run with boy1, who is thinking about trying a kids tri in September- he's 11 and not an athletic kid. We started him running a couple weeks ago, and he's stuck to it! so proud.
2014-06-18 4:19 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by el penguino

Today was a banner training day! I biked to work, DH brought stuff and kids. 11.5 miles, best speed yet. Then at lunch I did a swim workout, felt OK, got it done, and one workout closer to swimming straight. DH offered to take the kids home and do the grocery shopping, so I got an unplanned bike ride home! There are a couple of really fun downhills on the way home, wheeeeeeee!

Tomorrow is basically off except for a short run with boy1, who is thinking about trying a kids tri in September- he's 11 and not an athletic kid. We started him running a couple weeks ago, and he's stuck to it! so proud.

Great Job Nancy. Hearing you speak of what DH did made me chuckle because my wife would immediately ask me what I was working towards or wanted I now I said it before but great job on getting the boy active. I am going through the same with my daughter right now in the form of 1 mile walks and took your advice of letting her discuss anything and everything she wants to talk about.
2014-06-18 4:31 PM

User image

I'm guessing you got something different than which mods of Minecraft are the coolest, and what rocket design she wants to build next? As of yet, I don't get anything else, but maybe someday...
2014-06-18 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by el penguino

I'm guessing you got something different than which mods of Minecraft are the coolest, and what rocket design she wants to build next? As of yet, I don't get anything else, but maybe someday...

O mine's a gamer as well just not minecraft, she's more of the fake life building games but lucky for us she does not really talk about them. She just like to talk, especially about topics and things she knows drives us nuts. I'll take it though while exercising because I don't want her sedentary. She, like my wife is an intellectual mind and loves school and reading, which is great. I just don't want her to be as inactive as my wife. I want her to have that good balance between athletics and academics!

2014-06-19 5:49 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I'm having a real eating issue at the moment....constantly thinking about food. Not physically hungry, I still feel full after the usual amount of food, but my mind keeps saying, Eat more...really, eat more. There must be something in the cupboard you can eat, right now...Hmmm, maybe try the fridge...

It's mostly protein I'm after, I guess with the increasing training I need more repair. Must weigh myself in the morning and see if I need to lock the cupboard. Anyone else having food problems?

2014-06-19 6:50 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

I'm having a real eating issue at the moment....constantly thinking about food. Not physically hungry, I still feel full after the usual amount of food, but my mind keeps saying, Eat more...really, eat more. There must be something in the cupboard you can eat, right now...Hmmm, maybe try the fridge...

It's mostly protein I'm after, I guess with the increasing training I need more repair. Must weigh myself in the morning and see if I need to lock the cupboard. Anyone else having food problems?

Anna, you are not alone. I snack like crazy when I'm in higher volume weeks. For me i try to get in a protein shake (muscle milk) after my long workouts to curb some of that. I also try to have healthier snacks around, but either way I've never gained weight during that time frame. It is a little hard to stop snacking like that when the volume drops which is why I try to do healthy / low calorie snacks or fruits.
2014-06-19 8:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, New York
Subject: Hitting a (figurative) rough patch
Well I had a great stretch of 9-10 weeks of decent training weeks. But now I'm now in my 2nd week of minimal training. It's pretty discouraging to feel like I've lost momentum. It's also been eye-opening to see how "life" affects performance. I went for a run on Monday and the previous day (ironically father's day) my dad had to hospitalized. It was amazing how the stress of this affected my run. It was as if my lung-capacity was at least 1/3 less than normal and my pace was way slower as a result. That being said, I'm trying to look at this as just another hurdle. (edit: As i re-read my post I absolutely don't want anyone to think i feel my dad's hospitalization was a hurdle. I was referring to the general challenges we all face in life as hurdles to be overcome!)

On a positive note (actually VERY positive) our local tri training group had our last pool session last night and during this we did a mass swim. I think this simulation of a mass-start freaked a lot of people out, but I really thought it was fun! Swimming through churned up water is way different than solo lane swimming. It really brought me back to some of the motocross riding i did as a teen. It was very similar to the jockeying you would have to do during the start where you have bikes all around you dodging and weaving and bumping into you. As I write this it sounds nuts, but the group swimming was actually oddly calming to me. (don't know why but I'll take it!)

We are also scheduled to do a practice on the "Iron Girl Syracuse" course this Saturday. This will be my 1st true opportunity to tie all the disciplines together and see how this whole transition thing works! Since I plan on wearing a tri suit (no wet suit) and I don't (yet) have clipless pedals, it should be pretty easy for me!

Edited by mbcoulter 2014-06-19 9:23 AM
2014-06-19 8:58 AM

User image

Good to hear from so many. My 4-yr old daughter ran in her first race over the weekend. 1/2 mile! She won a free ice cream. I'm very proud of her, as she spent the weeks leading up to the race training on her own (running around the house in circles looking for a high five after each lap).

I'm cutting back on training a little to catch up on house work and work-work. I'm also going to start physical therapy to strengthen my calves, since both have been strained while running in the last year.

I plan to pick up the training in a few weeks, but for now I'll enjoy the cruise control and listening to everyone else's adventures.
2014-06-20 7:53 AM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have to say again how awesome this group has been. I just did my normal inspires and review of the logs, and only two people who wished to be in the group have fallen off so to speak (not logged workouts or onto BT in over 2 weeks). I sent both of the them PM's to check on them and to make sure that they know they are always welcome in the group. I find it truly impressive how many in this group said they were making a committment to tri and their health and have not only stuck with it but are exceeding. Yall are truly impressive and should give yourselves a pat on the back, now go workout

2014-06-20 8:19 AM

User image

Sir, yes sir!!

(pool at lunch soon enough?)
2014-06-20 9:36 AM

Anna,

I am eating everything in sight it seems lately. I am always hungry. I have been snacking quite a bit. I feel like I need to in order to not lose weight though. I step on the scale every Friday morning to make sure my weight is ok. (Not losing to much or gaining to much).

Shane
2014-06-20 11:27 AM

User image

I say Thank you for taking the time out of what seems to be a very busy schedule for you, and making sure we are all inspired to participate and comment and share experiences.

This group and site has been invaluable for me to train and compete inmy first Tri and where and how to proceed to the next Tri.

Thank You, to you and everyone in this group!

Mike
2014-06-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: shanehurley497

User image

Shane,

I seem to be doing the same thing: eating more. I started using the MyFitessPal app and realized how little I have been taking in. I am doing a better job of tracking my caloric intake, and ratio of carbs to fat to proteins now. I have leveled off to a descent weight and have been there for 3 weeks now.

I also wonder if your body just naturally wants to take in more during the summer months as well? Does anyone know of any proof of that? Just wondering.

Mike
2014-06-20 12:02 PM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

I think your body wants more calories when it is more active, and generally we (as people) are more active in the summer? I don't know.

2014-06-20 2:26 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

For me it's the other way round; in winter I crave stodgy warm food (mashed potatoes, roast meat, thick soup etc...mmmm...) and in summer it's usually light stuff eg fish/seafood and salad. Here it's more because it's just too darn hot to put hot food in your mouth. If I'm going to lose weight it is usually summer, shame I'm trying to do it (albeit halfheartedly) in winter.

2014-06-20 2:27 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete I have to say again how awesome this group has been. I just did my normal inspires and review of the logs, and only two people who wished to be in the group have fallen off so to speak (not logged workouts or onto BT in over 2 weeks). I sent both of the them PM's to check on them and to make sure that they know they are always welcome in the group. I find it truly impressive how many in this group said they were making a committment to tri and their health and have not only stuck with it but are exceeding. Yall are truly impressive and should give yourselves a pat on the back, now go workout

I'll second this Todd! And add that everyone's very positive and supportive, it's great to see .

2014-06-21 3:27 PM

User image

Bike training question:

So, right now, I've just started my biking- I'm on my second week, did a long ride today of 17+ miles, with hills (go Vermont!). Here's what I am wondering. I'm working on riding 3 times a week. One long ride that gets longer each week is definite. the other rides are the question.

I could do one medium ride that is about 12 miles to work or from work, and then the third one could either be a repeat of number two.

Or the third one could be a much slower ride of the same distance with my son, who is trying to decide of he wants to do a kids triathlon in Sept. or even another option 2 rides med and a 4th ride that is slow with boy1.

And this is along with 3 swims and at least 3 runs. (any runs over 3 would be just with the boy- 1.2 miles right now, easy and slow)

I'm crazy. I know. Any opinions on how best to structure? For this year at least, I'm really not trying for real improvements on biking other than what happens as I ride- in other words; not really thinking too much about doing real hard training; just biking.
2014-06-21 11:17 PM
in reply to: #4996333

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-22 6:52 AM

Hi Nancy,

Re Bike Training

I try to get 3 rides a week too: 1 ride for an hour, 1 longer ride 2-3 hours and a time trail of 20-30 minutes at race pace. I used to just get out and ride but I now believe if I'm taking the time to train I might as well get the most out of it.

The hour ride is basically clocking up time in the saddle, the longer ride is to build endurance and the time trial is a measure of my progress. I'm fortunate that there is a velodrome near my house and I'll time a 10 km ride and there are no variables such as stopping for traffic lights or slowing down for other road users. This allows me to measure my progress accurately.

I also get on the trails on the MTB for a bit of variety.

The other factor is the weather. Consider riding in all conditions (If you race in it, you should train in it). It's no good training indoors on windy days and then not being able to handle the wind on race day.

It must be great to be able to train with your son. That would be the highlight of my training week but you'll need to get the hours in the saddle yourself.

Rod

2014-06-22 8:19 PM

Hi Nancy,

I agree with others, saving a ride with your son is awesome. While it will take away from your training, the quality of time you will be giving him in return will be worth it 100 fold. And honestly, it sounds like you have a very solid training program going even if with losing that potential extra day of riding. Great job, keep it up, and enjoy the family time!
2014-06-23 4:47 AM
in reply to: cassowary

Gold Coast, Australia

Absolutely agree.  While the extra fitness from the 3rd ride at training pace is nice, the extra good family time is priceless. 

2014-06-23 8:33 AM

thanks everyone! Good input- I'll probably go for 3 rides, one with boy1 (I need to think of a better nickname for him) and get in an occasional 4th when time allows.
2014-06-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: Lain Down

Just wanted to check in and say hi to everyone....Todd, so happy your girl's doing well!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.