BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-02 7:23 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

The one thing I noticed was that everyone with Tri bikes was trying to climb on the aerobars. Unless you can ride up a hill at 30km/hr or faster riding in that position has no benefit (it has no benefit if you're riding less then 30km/h in any terrain flat or hill). In addition, riding in the aerobars decreases power output by about 30w on average so this may have an affect on climbing power too. 

The best way to climb is to sit upright with your hands on the bar tops about 2" from the stem on either side. This position allows you to use your hamstrings and glutes, which are the best muscles for climbing. It is, however, impossible to do this because of the aerobars in the way. The only other option is the hoods or brake lever wings and try to get as upright as possible. Other than just going out and riding lots of hills, kettle bell swings, I have found, are the best way to strengthen those muscles. I started doing them back in February and I noticed that my climbing ability was already better than last year when I started riding outdoors this April. KB swings are supposedly the only exercise that engages the hamstrings in an extended position. But make sure to learn how to do them right or your back will never forgive you. 

Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by adempsey10

First tri of the season done. Sprint Tri in 1:51:29. It featured some brutal climbs on both the bike and the run. Finished 10th in my age cat. 

I learned a valuable lesson today. Triathletes and their fancy aerodynamic bikes can fly on the flats but roadies dominate the climbs. I was riding a road bike with tri bars. I was hitting around 42km/h on the flats and getting smashed by the guys on the expensive Cervelos but as soon as we hit a climb I sat up on the hoods and reeled them back in like they weren't even moving. That felt good. I love doing triathlons but this made me realize that I'll always be a roadie at heart. 

Nicely done! So tell me, how DO you ride up a hill? I come to an almost dead stop; well at least it feels that way.

2014-06-02 8:29 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Happy June everyone! Hopefully everyone who is participating has a workout or two on the board by end of day! For those who raced Sunday, you are off and running with 3 workouts in the books in one day!

Have a great week!!

Originally posted by thor67

I am laying out the June Challenge for those who need a little push to train. Let's make it 28 S/B/R workouts in 30 days. That would be 7 workouts/week.

Minimums:

Swim:15 minutes.

Bike:30 minutes.

Run:20 minutes.

As long as you hit the minimums, bricks count as 2.

S/B/R only. One exception ...if you drink a dozen cans warm coors lite in one sitting, I will count that as 8 workouts. Of course if there is no video, it didn't happen...

Remember log your workouts and check in weekly!

Who is in?

2014-06-02 8:41 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Congratulations to:

Alan

Charles

David

Cynthia

Awesome job completing your races!

+1

Beer well earned this weekend.
2014-06-02 8:46 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

They handed me this when I crossed the finish line. It's non-alcoholic but it was a delicious treat for crossing the finish line. Apparently its full of electrolytes and good carbs, or so they said. 

Milton Triathlon

2014-06-02 9:37 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by badmo77a

Congratulations to:

Alan

Charles

David

Cynthia

Awesome job completing your races!

+1 Beer well earned this weekend.

+2

2014-06-02 9:39 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

2 workouts down for the June challenge. 

Nice 21.75 mile bike on Sunday and a 40 min run this morning.

2014-06-02 10:20 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Good job to all who raced.

I will be getting a late start on the 28 workout challenge, but I'm up for some 2 a days.

I may just video the 12 warm coors cause it sounds horrible but funny for everyone else

2014-06-02 1:27 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Accountability

I did not get through my goals last week. There I said it. Had Saturday off instead of keeping my streak alive.

Did get a good start on the June 28 challange. A freezing short OWS yesterday and bike commuting today.

This week is all about taper and planning for Binbrook on the weekend.

Main planning is how to 'refuel' after the race. Top of this list might be one of these:

2014-06-02 1:55 PM

User image

, Vermont
2 workouts in today (unless a drink break mid-ride can turn my bike into 2.....) one could be hopeful..

Just over 20 miles on the bike - rolling hills, hot sun, and kicking headwind on the way back = 1:12:30
Jumped off the bike, swapped shoes for a run
2.66 miles = 23:03

Done. Midday - hot and sunny. Tried out my new tri 2 piece suit for this workout to see how it felt on the bike and run. Like it!! No diaper feeling at all!

Baseball tonight!
Cheers,
Jenn
2014-06-02 2:24 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Great work Jenn! NIce try on the mid ride break... ...

Originally posted by aviatrix802 2 workouts in today (unless a drink break mid-ride can turn my bike into 2.....) one could be hopeful.. Just over 20 miles on the bike - rolling hills, hot sun, and kicking headwind on the way back = 1:12:30 Jumped off the bike, swapped shoes for a run 2.66 miles = 23:03 Done. Midday - hot and sunny. Tried out my new tri 2 piece suit for this workout to see how it felt on the bike and run. Like it!! No diaper feeling at all! Baseball tonight! Cheers, Jenn

2014-06-02 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by badmo77a Accountability I did not get through my goals last week. There I said it. Had Saturday off instead of keeping my streak alive. Did get a good start on the June 28 challange. A freezing short OWS yesterday and bike commuting today. This week is all about taper and planning for Binbrook on the weekend. Main planning is how to 'refuel' after the race. Top of this list might be one of these:

Apparently you should have used the warm coors light to pour down your wetsuit to warm up....

2014-06-02 2:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I am laying out the June Challenge for those who need a little push to train. Let's make it 28 S/B/R workouts in 30 days. That would be 7 workouts/week.

Minimums:

Swim:15 minutes.

Bike:30 minutes.

Run:20 minutes.

As long as you hit the minimums, bricks count as 2.

S/B/R only. One exception ...if you drink a dozen cans warm coors lite in one sitting, I will count that as 8 workouts. Of course if there is no video, it didn't happen...

Remember log your workouts and check in weekly!

Who is in?

I'm in!! Started June out right with my first 5K race since last year. Really, really pleased with it....I ran my first 5K a year ago May 20, in 32:30. Yesterday I ran 5K in 29:15, which included the dog stopping to take a crap I had to clean up. 18/244 in my age group....not bad for a year-old runner. (with that said, a 7 year old did go flying past me at the finish line. LOL.)

I'd better get my butt to the pool for lunch.

Sandi

Edited by sandishr 2014-06-02 2:44 PM
2014-06-02 3:11 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hey folks - been a busy time for me lately. I'm currently in Boston Logan Airport, waiting for my flight back to Chicago. A week in Boston (or BAH-Ston) has been good. I've enjoyed the relaxation, and eating real seafood and lobster rolls and all the other junk that comes with vacation. Visited four breweries (Sam Adams, Harpoon, Mayflower Brewing, and Jack Abby) and was able to relax just a bit.

Swam in the ocean for the first time (it's cold, tastes like pretzels, and has jellyfish) and went whale watching (awesome).

Oh, and finished my first 70.3 at Rev3 Quassy. My race report should be up. Long story short, 6:32 finish, with a good swim (faster than I expected), a good bike (slower than I expected, but 4,000 feet of climbing kinda does that), and a 2:14 run (slower than I wanted, but 1,700 feet of gain tends to wreck runs too). Met up with DQ and we had a good old time.

I'll post some pictures once I can get them off my camera.
2014-06-02 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

Nice race. Glad to see someone else on garmin connect.

Got in 18 min of sprint/recovery courses with our fitness trainers at work. I'm counting that one since it was in addition to my weights. . 1/28
2014-06-02 9:19 PM
in reply to: #5005877

User image

Met my goals this weekend - mostly!

Ran Friday - fast short run!
Saturday - hour long boot camp - kicked my A$$!
Then worked on the bike for an hour +

Sunday - planned long bike 30 miles
- hit a pothole on a big downhill at mile two lost control - didn't crash phew! But anxiety and HR in my mouth!
- then a mile later threw a chain!
Frustration took over and I said eff it - told the very patient group to go ahead as I couldn't keep up and didn't want them to continue to stop for me. I ended up riding 10 miles mostly solo.
Then I realized I needed to get a better workout in, so I ran for a half hour.

Tonight a two mile fast run! For me!

I'm pretty happy w my crappy bike recovery and that I got some good work in.
2014-06-03 8:19 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Missed my goals for the week past for various reasons/excuses (unexpected visitors, car breakdown, child’s B-day, etc, etc.).

However, I have started this week off with a bang! 5 workouts by end of day today (I have to ride home). And I am down about 2 lb so that’s a bonus I will be without a car for the next 3 weeks so I will need to bike commute. Or fight for space on the train and who wants to do that! That will defiantly help out with the June challenge.

Oh and I am enjoying my new bike! It will take some time I think to get used to the different riding position but it sure feels fast in comparison to my mountain bike!

Congrats to everyone on their races!

2014-06-03 11:27 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Hi Everyone - I apologize for not checking in for more than a week. Last week, with the interview, the race, and Charles in town, was insane.

Charles and I had a blast at Rev 3 Quassy! He crushed me in terms of time but we both had a blast. Here is my race report. http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=265652 Please feel free to make any suggestions that you think my help me in 10 weeks and 5 days as Alan and I take on IMMT.

A few thoughts for the group:

1) Its great seeing all the old and new faces. I will make it my mission as I catch up on the posts to make a chart with everyone's name so we can get to know each other a little better.

2) Towards that end, please remember to sign your name to the end of your post. That will help us master names and thereby allow us to better support one another.

3) A big thanks to Thor for the Challenge this month. I'm in by the way. With so many of us watching our weight - I'd like to have a weight loss challenge for the month as well. I was thinking we could pair up with a partner - and set goals. If we meet our goals - we could exchange beers via fed express or something fun like that. There are tons of beers I would love to try and I know that would help motivate me. What do y'all think?

4) Loving all the beer talk on the BDAAS - thanks to everyone for talking beer and posting pics. That's what it's all about (just as it's all about avoiding the warm coors light penalty! I was thinking about the warm silver bullet waiting for me in my tri bag in transition to keep my butt moving up that final hill

5) Finally - does any one have any suggestions on how we could make this group better and more effective at helping us reach our goals? (Like not having the guy organizing it flake for a week A big thanks to everyone for stepping in and welcoming all the new peeps!

Have a great week everyone!
2014-06-03 12:21 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Hi Again -

Here is the link to my training log where I keep the BDAAS member list. I spent 15 minutes on it this afternoon and added about 10 names. If I missed your name or misspelled it - let me know and I will be sure to add it.

Thanks for your help!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...
2014-06-03 12:32 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Qua17

Hi Again -

Here is the link to my training log where I keep the BDAAS member list. I spent 15 minutes on it this afternoon and added about 10 names. If I missed your name or misspelled it - let me know and I will be sure to add it.

Thanks for your help!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...

My name is Adrian.

Nicely done at Rev3.
2014-06-03 1:15 PM

User image

welcome back David. How was the interview?

did a bike followed by weights and sprint jog. I even did 22 min to make up my missing 2 min from Monday. 3/28 I know weights don't count but they sure make the bike and run hurt more

As for beer I am having the last bit of my "blackout pumpkin" and a double IPA. (both homemade

I'm heading up to NY (upstate) next weekend. I looked for a race, but didn't find one I can work in. Will be taking my bike for a long ride, hoping I don't get lost...
2014-06-03 1:16 PM

User image

I'm totally in with the weight loss/beer exchange. Well, the beer exchange part. My main weight goal is to not gain, I'm pretty close to a good weight. With the training I'm going to be doing for the tri in six weeks that shouldn't be hard...plus I'll be doing that training for several weeks at 6K feet elevation, so I am hopeful that I'll be successful. So I'd probably be the best partner for someone who wants Washington (or PNW) beer and is motivated enough by that. :-) I also do pretty carefully watch what we eat, follow generally low-glycemic index eating principles (as opposed to calorie counting), so if someone wanted ideas as to how to do this I'm happy to give recipes, our meal plan, etc.

2014-06-03 1:18 PM

User image

Forgot me too! (Justin)

Good job on the races over the weekend, everyone! I'm still debating another sprint in mid-July. I'll be fine for the run and bike, it's the swim that scares me. I really need more OWS training.

I'm 3/28 on workouts: swim Monday morning, bike Monday afternoon and a run this morning.
2014-06-03 1:33 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 Hi Again - Here is the link to my training log where I keep the BDAAS member list. I spent 15 minutes on it this afternoon and added about 10 names. If I missed your name or misspelled it - let me know and I will be sure to add it. Thanks for your help! http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...

You forgot mine, David. 

Alan

2014-06-03 2:23 PM

User image

, Vermont
3/28 with a swim this morning. Lanes were tough to come by so I had 20 minutes and did 800 yds in 19 minutes every 4th lap backstroke to keep count.

Weight-wise I'm looking to maintain but very happy to exchange beer! Switchback should be tried by all. Seriously.
I did just pick up Long Trail Mostly Cloudy (like our state generally) - probably their attempt to mimic Switchback - haven't tried it yet but it's chillin' to be had this evening!

Take care all!
Jenn

(Long Trail Mostly Cloudy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Long Trail Mostly Cloudy.jpg (665KB - 4 downloads)
2014-06-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

I'm totally in with the weight loss/beer exchange. Well, the beer exchange part. My main weight goal is to not gain, I'm pretty close to a good weight. With the training I'm going to be doing for the tri in six weeks that shouldn't be hard...plus I'll be doing that training for several weeks at 6K feet elevation, so I am hopeful that I'll be successful. So I'd probably be the best partner for someone who wants Washington (or PNW) beer and is motivated enough by that. :-) I also do pretty carefully watch what we eat, follow generally low-glycemic index eating principles (as opposed to calorie counting), so if someone wanted ideas as to how to do this I'm happy to give recipes, our meal plan, etc.

If you can get my Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger - I'd be more than happy to be your dance partner...

Who else wants to lose some weight and try some beer?

Dave

Edited by Qua17 2014-06-03 2:24 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.