BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-03-06 7:51 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by Fechter99

How have you overcome lack of motivation?

Sorry to be not much help, but I don't really have an answer for you. When I lost my motivation, after my first HIM in 2013, I gradually stopped working out at all. I got re motivated when my weight got frighteningly high again.

I'm partly motivated by the desire to be fit and healthy (although triathlon training is over the top to meet those goals... regular walks with the dog would be enough)
Partly by the desire to beat my own times, and those of people I know.
And most of all, because I enjoy the races and the training. Some runs suck for sure, so does getting out of bed early on a Saturday, but overall going for a run, riding my bike, open water swimming are all fun for me. Makes me feel like a kid again If I didn't enjoy it, I would find something else to do. Lifes to short to spend this much time and money on something if it isn't fun. None of us are pros, we're all here for the fun of it.

Honestly if it isn't fun for you, you're fighting a losing battle trying to force yourself to be motivated.

What you need to do is figure out what part of the sport you enjoy, and just go do it for the pure enjoyment of it.

2016-03-06 7:55 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi All

Thanks to Bulfrog for highlighting the need to get active in the pool. Now that I'm on track with the bike and the run I'll focus on my swim. I'm going to check out a Masters (adult) swim group during the week.

A masters group sounds like a great idea. Good on you for making a plan to work on your weakness. I look forward to reading about how it went.
2016-03-07 12:34 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Thanks everyone, well I guess by my just posting here the other day was enough to get me moving in the right direction. Plus having Mike ready to get back to training sure didn't hurt. It really is much easier to stay on track with a training buddy who also happens to be your spouse.

This post on Facebook from Stephen Delmonte from Delmo Sports who is an amazing race director probably had something to do with our kick in the pants. We are not racing his first race of the season but do have our first a couple weeks before it. And, we are racing one of his other races later in the summer.
https://www.facebook.com/414178818625456/videos/1045128275530504/

I have reset my training plan (couch to sprint minus the run training) which started up today with a 60 minute spin on the trainer and felt good to be back on there, well besides the sore bottom towards the end, and called it quits after 54 minutes since the Achilles was starting to hurt a bit. I am making myself a priority and that means making sure to get in my exercise and take care of myself. I am trying to focus on the getting healthy aspect of the training again more than the have to beat my times which is what I think took the fun out of training and racing. My plan for this year's races is to just go out there and have fun! No focusing on spits, times, paces, etc. I want it to be another part of my healthy lifestyle again, not an internal competition against myself.

Anyway, thanks again for the support and sharing how you each pushed through tough times and keep motivated!
2016-03-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Fechter99 Thanks everyone, well I guess by my just posting here the other day was enough to get me moving in the right direction. Plus having Mike ready to get back to training sure didn't hurt. It really is much easier to stay on track with a training buddy who also happens to be your spouse. This post on Facebook from Stephen Delmonte from Delmo Sports who is an amazing race director probably had something to do with our kick in the pants. We are not racing his first race of the season but do have our first a couple weeks before it. And, we are racing one of his other races later in the summer. https://www.facebook.com/414178818625456/videos/1045128275530504/I have reset my training plan (couch to sprint minus the run training) which started up today with a 60 minute spin on the trainer and felt good to be back on there, well besides the sore bottom towards the end, and called it quits after 54 minutes since the Achilles was starting to hurt a bit. I am making myself a priority and that means making sure to get in my exercise and take care of myself. I am trying to focus on the getting healthy aspect of the training again more than the have to beat my times which is what I think took the fun out of training and racing. My plan for this year's races is to just go out there and have fun! No focusing on spits, times, paces, etc. I want it to be another part of my healthy lifestyle again, not an internal competition against myself. Anyway, thanks again for the support and sharing how you each pushed through tough times and keep motivated!

Finding what makes it feel good and fun for you is the key. Motivation is a sneaky thing and appears and disappears at will (at least for me). Glad you found your groove!

That video should be looked at once per week... minimum!

2016-03-07 9:41 AM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

This weekend was a workout, what was suppose to be easy yard turned into 5 hours of hard work, not how your suppose to prepare for a 1/2 marathon. With that said, I finished my 1/2 in 3:05. I was hoping for under 3:00, but I felt good with that finish. Decently hard course and it rained on us for about half the race. I have run this race previously and know the course well. It has hills. like almost 900 feet of elevation in the first 7 miles of hills. It makes this 1/2 one of the more challenging in the area. Like I said I had a plan and ran it pretty well. I may have been able to push it harder and find the 5 minutes I left on course, but I ran with a friend after 2 miles and we supported each other through the course. She is a faster running but was having issues so we stayed together and worked through them. I felt great (mostly). My legs were there the entire race and I was able to finish strong. I do how ever have band aids on two toes this morning, because of blisters. My fault completely. I did not maintain my toenails correctly. Speaking on that, because I have not raced much last year, I felt off on this race coming up to it. It kind of snuck up on me. Not sure how to completely explain it, but I felt odd at the the start line. Like I forgot something. Anyhow, well run race by all. If you are ever in Socal in March come run this one. It's fun.

Tonight, taking the night off with a short swim. Tomorrow, on the bike. Wednesday weights, Thursday Bike, Friday
Weights and swim. Sunday Long Run,

Can't wait for Daylight Savings to change.

John
2016-03-07 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

6/21 - Swim - 10m 30s - 500.00 yards - 02m 06s per 100 yards

A nice swim. A little annoyed that my left bicep is still hurting after only 500 yds, but at least they have the hot tub up and running again. That's a nice way to end the workout. I prepared a half dozen breakfast burritos yesterday, so I had a decent breakfast when I got to school.

2016-03-07 5:45 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

This week's training video: How to get motivated on the bike leg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI
2016-03-08 6:22 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by AussieTurtle This week's training video: How to get motivated on the bike leg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI

That is hysterical!! It is like being chased by a velociraptor in the movies.

2016-03-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Swim
  • 10m 16s
  • 500.00 yards
  • 02m 03s /100 yards

7/21 - I knew it was going to be a great day when my first three 50's all came in at 1m or less. I actually turned in a 57s for my third one! Then my two 100's came in at 2:05 each. My final three 50's came in at 1:03, 1:03, and 1:00. There was some complaint from the left bicep, but 5 minutes in front of the jets in the hot tub soothed that. Tomorrow? Do I continue at 500 yds for the rest of this week or do I try to stretch it out to three 100's in the middle? My heart says GO FOR IT, but my head and bicep say "Patience, Grasshopper".

2016-03-08 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Rod, that is fantastic!  Where do you FIND stuff like this/  i'll bet that bird followed them for the better part of 2k.

2016-03-08 9:57 AM

User image

17m 09s 900.00 yards 01m 55s /100 yards

Felt better as the swim went on. It became more of an issue of needing to go eat than anything else. Taking the night off tonight. Quads are still screaming at me from Sunday. Going to listen to my body and rest.

Rod: Funny video, keep up the good work all.

J

2016-03-09 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Swim
  • 10m 37s
  • 500.00 yards
  • 02m 07s /100 yards

8/21 - Oh BOY! I did my W/U trying to breath every fourth stroke instead of every third. Kicked my butt! Thus my middle 100's suffered. Returning to three strokes for the C/D resulted in better times again. 4 Lanes and 11 lap swimmers. Thankfully the two ladies in my lane knew how to swim circle laps instead of splitting lanes and playing chicken on the black line.

2016-03-10 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Swim
  • 15m 32s
  • 650.00 yards
  • 02m 23s /100 yards

9/21 - I am finding the 0500 plan is working really well for me. It's not even a case of "I have to drag myself out of bed." What is NOT working with this however is getting that PM workout in after school.

Anyway, it was a nice swim today. The significant decrease in pace is due to the fact that I did that middle 150 yds as breaststroke. And it has been MANY years since I swam breaststroke. It's a nice recovery stroke for me to catch my breath. I'm going to try to insert some laps of sidestroke in there too soon. With as many years as I was a lifeguard it was always one of my stronger strokes.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2016-03-10 2:26 PM
2016-03-11 9:08 AM
in reply to: #5158491

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Your slow pace is my fast one, Mike.

I am heading to camp until Tuesday. We are taking the mountain bikes and I have my run stuff. The goal is to get some fun workouts in. Have fun and keep up the good work all. I'll check in when I get back.
2016-03-11 10:59 AM

User image

Looking good, totally agree with using breast stroke as a recovery stroke, but was wondering what do you use to track yourself? My Garmin does not recognize when I swim breast stroke.

But good job on the consistency of the AM workouts. I cannot seem to get my butt out of bed any earlier to workout.

J

2016-03-11 11:05 AM

User image

Thursday - March 10
BIKE 1h 32m 12s 21.33 miles13.88 Mi/hr

Went for a nice 20 miler with a couple of friends last night. We start at sundown, was interesting. My light ended up being the only one that stayed through the entire course. But it was on a bike trail with no cars. I had one friend getting back to it, and one friend who is fairly new at it. They both had their rechargeable lights goo out on them. Otherwise, it was a nice and easy ride.

Next week I am planning more fun. In April, I am starting to conceive the two a day workouts. It's a lifestyle choice.

Working in the Yard all weekend,

Have a Great One!

J

2016-03-11 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by johndiaz00  was wondering what do you use to track yourself? My Garmin does not recognize when I swim breast stroke.
  John, my Y pool has 3' diameter lap clock running at all times for lap swimmers.

2016-03-13 6:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Rod, that is fantastic!  Where do you FIND stuff like this/  i'll bet that bird followed them for the better part of 2k.

I'm on a couple of facebook triathlon groups who have articles that can be motivating, informative and / or funny.
2016-03-13 6:45 AM

User image

Hi all,

A quiet week for me by choice. I've been training fairly consistently all year and took a couple of days off this week. Still managed a bike ride, 2 run and 2 gym sessions and 2 swims. I'm semi retired so some days it's easy for me to get 2 sessions in.

I was able to take advantage of our extended summer and had 2 open water swims without a wet suit. I expect I'll be heading off to theindoor pool this week. I did 30 KM on the MTB this week for a bit of variety. The MTB feels like a tractor compared to my road bike.

I hope everybody had a good weekend and gets some training in in the coming week.
2016-03-13 1:59 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by WebFootFreak
Weight: 274.5 (+2)

It's been a while.

Let's bring y'all up to speed. I weighed this morning at 273.0, so I have lost a bit. Except for the pool, I have been all but inactive for the last couple of weeks. A groin injury has kept me from running or riding, then last Friday I stubbed my pinkie toe and was bleeding all over the place... which killed my laps last week.

I think I am going to pass on Memphis in May this year. The primary reason is how far I've let myself slip. I really have no desire to approach an event from a "let's try to survive and finish" standpoint. I am considering a run at Riverbluff in Nashville, however. Barring injury, I should be in a lot better condition than I was when I ran it the first time in '14.

The second reason to pass on Memphis is.... I GOT THE JOB!!! If I were working my normal hours: Sun 0900-1730, Mon-Thu 0800-1630 then I might... might be able to get over the survival hump. However, adding in job #2 which takes me until 2200 Mon-Thur is going to definitely cut into family and training time. Thankfully I will still have all day Fri and Sat to fit things in. Since training will be limited until I get used to the new schedule, being anywhere in the vicinity of "race ready" would be a pipe dream... Oh yeah... I'm teaching Automotive Brakes, which I expected, plus Gas Engines and Automatic Transmissions... which I did not... ugh. I'm hoping the added income will allow us to finish the room over the garage for Jacob, plus a few other things around the house.

There's one more wrench thrown in the works. I am leaving Fri for Florida. Florida, you say? Well... I am going down with my son's HS band. Our days are planned from 0800-2200 every day. There's not going to be much time to sneak away for a workout... but I am taking my shoes, swim trunks and tri shorts... just in case. I'm sure there'll be a weight room of some sort, but I think a lap pool will be asking a bit much...

I think I failed Lent...
2016-03-13 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Saturday

Run
  • 1h 07m 12s
  • 3.70 miles
  • 18m 09s /Mi

10/21 - Took the Airedale for the walk today instead of the grandson in the stroller. Was surprised to see that we actually didn't slow down all that much. Will try to incorporate Samson into more of my workouts, if I can simply motivate myself to get some of those PM ones in.

Sunday

Bike
  • 43m 17s
  • 9.00 miles
  • 12.48 Mi/hr

11/21 - A pleasant little bike ride, nothing remarkable for time though. Just logging miles.

2016-03-13 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Hey, CONGRATS on the job man!  I noticed your schedule was junked up for Mon-Thu, and you only mentioned Fri/Sat for training.  C'mon dude, I'm pretty sure the Lord will allow you to make time for a workout on Sundays too.  Unless, of course, you are actually the pastor in which case I'd say Sunday is probably pretty full.

I say regroup and aim for Nashville.

2016-03-13 9:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi guys,

I'm pretty happy with my week, 6 runs for 33km in 3:50:00, and one 90 minute bike ride on Sunday. Nothing too exciting, still getting back into regular training mode after the HIM. I also weighed in 0.5kg (1lb) down this week, not as much as I'd like, but trending in the right direction.

This week is going to be a bit of a muddle for training, I'm off to Australia for 3 days at the end of the week, I'll bring my running shoes, like I usually do but I'm unsure when I'll be onsite and when I'm off, so not sure if I'll get the chance to use them. I've then got a sprint triathlon on Sunday. The forecast is not good, and my training since Wanaka has been poor, but it should be a bit of fun. I'm quite confident I've got the fitness to carry me through. So all up, I'm not sure what I'm going to get done this week.
2016-03-13 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

The second reason to pass on Memphis is.... I GOT THE JOB!!!

Congratulations on the job! Hope it's as good as you're wanting it to be.

Mate, if I were working till 2200 5 days a week there's no way I'd be triathlon training. Even if I had the energy I can't see the wife being too pleased with long training rides and runs after such a long work day. Family life is important too.

My advice, when you have the time do whatever workout you enjoy the most. go for some short runs, for fun, not training. That'll still keep your fitness up so you're ready to dive back into training when you get back to shorter work days.

Maybe do some 5k runs or something? something manageable.

Good luck with the new job
2016-03-14 7:37 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by bulfrog So by my count, that means you've done at least 1 workout every day so far this month? I like the consistency. Keep it up man.
I'm liking it too, but I have not done any workouts on Fridays this month.  So I am actually 2 days down on the count.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 42178 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 55326 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2146 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8857 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?