BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-02-23 3:34 PM
in reply to: #641608

User image

MotoQueen
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL
Happy day, it's Friday. Just had lunch with someone I haven't seen in 13 years and we picked up as if it had been yesterday. Wow!

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to do my first brick. We are going to do a bike ride and then 5k and see how our legs do. I think I'm going to wish I had a hottub to come home to.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Kendra

2007-02-23 5:56 PM
in reply to: #701232

User image

New user
Kendra - Good luck with your brick tomorrow- I'm sure you'll do great! It's always really great when you can reconnect with people you haven't seen in a long, long time.

Where did the term brick really come from anyway? I was told (from a friend) that brick stood for Bike Run- ICK! Is this really true or was he just being funny?

Have a great weekend everyone!!!
2007-02-23 10:49 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

HEY all!  How's it going? 

Good luck Kendra on your first brick!  That is something to celebrate!  You're legs might feel like jello to start, but it feels better fast.

Kaci - I honestly don't know the origin of "brick!"  LOL! 

I have a running race tomorrow.  And what do you think our weather is?  You guessed it....SNOW.  And not JUST snow, but wind too with blizzard conditions.  Sounds like a blast!

2007-02-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: #701643

User image

New user
Cathy, you are truely AMAZING! Good luck tomorrow - I hope it all goes well.

You know, everytime I look outside and see how cold or wet it is here - I think of you guys in the heart of the winter weather and get my sorry Ca butt outside. Thanks for insiping me everyone!

2007-02-24 4:02 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Well, I'm bummed. Did not really get to do the brick. Was about 1.7 miles into the ride when I realized the gear shift and rear brake control were broken. So...off to the bike shop for me to get it fixed.

I had a spill on the bike back in November and we had to replace the pedals and gears then, but did not realize there was a hairline fracture in the gear shift that gave out on todays ride. I could have done without the gear shifting, but not without the rear brakes. It was a hilly area and I did not want to go head over heels.

I let my hubby finish out his 12 mile ride while I did some walking. Oh well. That's life.

Hope your race went well today Cathy. I know how Kaci feels, I don't like to complain about the weather when I hear about what you are dealing with.

Kendra

Edited by kns57 2007-02-24 4:03 PM
Z
2007-02-25 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
How is everyone doing. We will NEVER get spring around here. Look at this!!!!!!

(Not Again!.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Not Again!.JPG (99KB - 46 downloads)

2007-02-25 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

I just got back from FL late Fri night. I missed a lot of workouts. Cathy, I think I was in FL for the tail end of the bad weather. On Tues the sun came out and it was really nice the rest of the week. I went to the local Y and ran Mon. and went to a spin class on Wed. I ate way too much all week. I need to get in gear and do some serious shopping for a bike. I was going to look before going to FL but I ran out of time.

Cathy, Good luck on your race. Do they still have a race if it's blizzard conditions?

Heather, Your bike looks great! Did you get it at one of the LBS? I hope your hip is doing better.

Kendra, Good luck on the 1/2 marathon!

Zoya, I love the picture of your backyard. It looks pretty.

Good Luck with training this week!

Mel

2007-02-25 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Well the race went surprisingly well for a layer of solid ice on the road.  We didn't get as much snow as they said, but the wind was crazy!  The last 4 miles of the race was into a pretty strong headwind! 

Kendra - bummer about the bike!  but you'll have plenty of chances to do that brick  

Zoya - assuming that is your backyard....it is beautiful!  snow and all!  And what do you mean "not again!"....you guys had spring all winter long until recently!

Mel - welcome back!  no worries on the workouts.  I missed all of my workouts in FL but one and then last week wasn't much better.  But it's time to refocus.....we'll get through it together!

Hope you are all well.  February is almost over!  amazing.

2007-02-25 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi girlies

Cathi what race did you do?

Oh and BTW what is a BRICK?

I went away to Bent Creek Experimental Forest this weekend near my moms in Brevard NC hiked a LONG way 6 miles on lots of hills. Also walked. But ate kinda bad.

I will be realeased to bike next week. Picking up the road bike this weekend.

Feeling extremely overwhelmed with grad school, work, and kids. In addition have to go outa town to Raleigh all week. I am sure you all know how this feels.

But I am happy and healthy and that is what matters! I need to get back into some serious biking again I am feeling outa shape.

Have a happy Monday- not sure I will be able to access this site I will try this week. I am going to work out at the YMCA while I am there.

Heather
2007-02-25 10:22 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hi Heather!  The race was a 10 mile run.  On ice and with lots of wind.  It was nuts.  And even nuttier, my longest run post baby was 8 miles, so I can't say I was well prepared for this!  Yeah well, I survived! 

A brick is when you do 2 workouts back to back, typically biking then switching as fast as possible to running.  It is good practice before your races!  You will at least know how your legs feel running off the bike! 

Have a great trip and hang in there!  You are doing great!  And very cool that you are getting clearance for the bike! 

Z
2007-02-27 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Hello Everyone. I hope you all have a great day!

Cathy,

Have you ever done a sprint try with swim portion in a pool? How does it work? I know my first two races will be a "snake" swim, so if i imagine it right the flip turns will be out of question? How many people are in one lane?

Thanks!
Z.

Z
2007-02-27 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
I meant a sprint "tri" of course, not try
2007-02-27 10:33 PM
in reply to: #704694

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-02-27 8:03 AM Hello Everyone. I hope you all have a great day! Cathy, Have you ever done a sprint try with swim portion in a pool? How does it work? I know my first two races will be a "snake" swim, so if i imagine it right the flip turns will be out of question? How many people are in one lane? Thanks! Z.

I have not, but my husband has.  I think you swim one lane, back and forth before you switch to the next lane, so you might be able to do a flip turn on 1/2 of the turns?  But it totally depends on the race.....many indoor swims are different!  Some will just have you in one lane instead of snaking. 

they typically group people by their projected times for the distance.  And usually 4-6 in a lane!  I'm sure you know this already, but for the benefit of others, if you are swimming in a lane with that many people and feel a tap on  your foot, then someone wants to pass you....if you are close to the end of the lane, just wait there, let them pass and then go on yourself. 

When is this race you are talking about? 

I see there are a lot of races at Lake Anna in VA.  I spectated there in October for grvfrog doing a double Ironman.  It was pretty crazy with lots of rain.  I ran a few laps with her....must be boring running 52 miles by yourself.  Anyway, that is a beautiful place for a triathlon!  Someday, maybe I'll come out there and do one. 

Edited by COgirl 2007-02-27 10:34 PM
Z
2007-02-28 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
My first real sprint race in Reston, VA in May. I hope i will not get killed by 5 other people swimming in my lane
2007-02-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: #705904

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-02-28 6:32 AM My first real sprint race in Reston, VA in May. I hope i will not get killed by 5 other people swimming in my lane

You'll be fine!  Just wait until you have an open water swim (OWS)!  That is CRAZY.  I am not a fast swimmer, so I position myself out of the way of people who would run me over.

2007-02-28 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

I had my first Tri training group meeting yesterday. There are only 4 of us in the group. We are going to be meeting once a week and she is going to give us our training plan each time we meet for the following week. The other people in the group are all doing different races. The lady that is running the group told me to go to a LBS that will give me 15% off on a bike.

Cathy, I went over to the LBS today and spoke with them for awhile. I've received a lot of different info from people on what to get. Should I get clipless or clip? Should I get a bike with aerobars or not? Should I just use my running shoes, bike shoes or tri shoes? He also said it would be $100 to fit my bike. Is that the normal amount? Heather had mentioned the LBS she went to so I'm going to go check them out.

I hope everyone is having a good week!

Mel

2007-02-28 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi girls I have been in Raleigh since Tues...

I went to the YMCA last night and did 30 min on Eliptical and abs and strength stuff.
Toniight I did a really hard spin class---but made it through....first one since surgery! WOW it was hard after being out almost 4 weeks!!! I could tell I have gotten out of shape with cycling quickly!

I am getting a little scared about this whole 5 k running thing. I need some advice from a runner!!! I am a NON runner. I hate it and it hurts me to do it. So....basically I am wondering how much running do I actually need to do a week? Right now I am swimming 3x and Biking 3x per week plus strength training 2x and run/walking 2 miles 2x per week.

How is everyone else doing?

MEL: No charge at the one I went to in University and they were VERY nice. How much do you want to spend? I have an amazing bike at my house that is too small for me. It is a 52 inch specialized---the person that loaned it to me is 5'6-5'7.....he wants to sell it---where is your Tri group? I would LOVE to road ride with another beginner!!!!! Let me know!!!!!

Heather

Edited by countregirl 2007-02-28 8:51 PM
2007-03-01 12:36 AM
in reply to: #707067

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

The lady that is running the group told me to go to a LBS that will give me 15% off on a bike.

well now there's a great deal right there! 

Cathy, I went over to the LBS today and spoke with them for awhile. I've received a lot of different info from people on what to get. Should I get clipless or clip? Should I get a bike with aerobars or not? Should I just use my running shoes, bike shoes or tri shoes? He also said it would be $100 to fit my bike. Is that the normal amount? Heather had mentioned the LBS she went to so I'm going to go check them out

Often if you buy a new bike from a shop, they will do the fit for free.....but that isn't a guarantee!  I'm sure that could be negotiated too.  I have heard of bike fits that cost from $75 to $225, so I think $100 is pretty decent! 

I definitely recommend the clipless pedals that you need to use bike shoes with.  You have an increase in speed AND your own power by using them.  You can "pull up" on the pedals as opposed to just pushing down with the other style. 

Aerobars.....well, that is a personal choice.  It will increase your speed as you are less resistant when riding.  An option could be adding clip-on aerobars later, but you have to make sure the top tube of the bike is short enough that you could get into the aerobars comfortably. 

Shoes.....the less velcro the better.  Tri shoes usually have 1-2 straps.  Normal roadie shoes often have 3 straps. 

The most impt thing is that the bike fits you!  You have to be comfortable on it, or you will hate it!  Take the bikes you are looking at outside for a spin if possible.  Every brand feels different. 

And if anything I said doesn't make sense or you need further clarification, let me know!  I'm happy to answer any questions!  And a bike purchase is a big deal, so it has to be right! 

2007-03-01 12:42 AM
in reply to: #707075

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I am getting a little scared about this whole 5 k running thing. I need some advice from a runner!!! I am a NON runner. I hate it and it hurts me to do it. So....basically I am wondering how much running do I actually need to do a week? Right now I am swimming 3x and Biking 3x per week plus strength training 2x and run/walking 2 miles 2x per week.

I know it's hard to enjoy a sport when you hate it!  LOL!  I used to feel that way about swimming, but I've gotten over that now. 

Anyway, anything you can do to distract yourself from the fact that you are running is helpful!  haha, that was great advice, huh?

Are you doing a 5K race or do you mean the 5K that is part of your sprint tri?  You are allowed to walk in the race if needed, a lot of people do! 

Of course, I would tell you to bump up the running to 3 times a week, but you will be able to do your tri with 2x a week of running.  So do you have to run more?  NO.  Depends on what your goal is for your race.....if you want speed, then you should probably run more.  If you want to just finish, then what you are doing already is great!  What IS your goal? 

2007-03-01 10:47 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Heather, I'm not a runner either (never was and never will be) and I am planning on walking the 5k portion of my sprint. Of course, when you are in the middle of a race, the energy around you can make you do things you don't normally do. So right now, I just get out there and do a lot of walking each week.

Biking and swimming are no problem. Those I can do with my eyes closed. I'll be walking my half mary which is now 3 weeks away. OMG!

Working a long day today and have to drive to Winston Salem, NC tomorrow for a funeral. Will be back in GA tomorrow night to only turn around and drive to Asheville NC on Saturday. Plan on doing a hike Sunday morning, but won't be getting much training in at all if any. Life sure does get in the way sometimes, but whos complaining. Not me!

Kendra
2007-03-02 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
good question Cathy---

I guess my original goal was to finish in the alloted time and still is and to learn to ride the bike.

I went to spin class and then ran a mile right after today then did abs.

Still frustrated with my weight. Have to starve myself to lose DAMN metabolism!

Oh well I will keep pluggin along!

Heather

2007-03-02 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

Cathy, Thanks for all the info.! As always you are a wealth of info. I looked at some tri shoes on this website: http://www.sunrisecyclery.com. The sizes are listed differently they start at 32 (european sizes?) Do you know what size that would be in regular sizes? I wear a 9 1/2 so I'm not sure what size that would be.

Do I need to get a bike trainer? Is there a specific one that you recommend? Do they fit any bike?

Are all helmets the same or are there specific features I should be looking for? Do I need bike gloves and do most people wear these during a race?

Heather, I'm sending you a pm.

Heather & Kendra, I'm not a runner either. Maybe I'll grow to like it someday. My brother runs marathons and he loves to run. I find it really boring. I'd much rather swim or bike.

I hope everyone is doing well this week!

Mel

2007-03-02 9:19 AM
in reply to: #708637

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

countregirl - 2007-03-02 6:40 AM good question Cathy--- I guess my original goal was to finish in the alloted time and still is and to learn to ride the bike. I went to spin class and then ran a mile right after today then did abs. Still frustrated with my weight. Have to starve myself to lose DAMN metabolism! Oh well I will keep pluggin along! Heather

Then I think you will be just fine with 2x a week running!  As far as the weight, maybe add in some interval work on your biking?  Just to mix it up....sometimes that is a jump start to losing wt again.  You could do one minute fast, 3 mins normal on the bike?  You can do the same with running.  But when you do interval work like that, only do it one time per week for each sport (though swimming doesn't really count....you do interval work for that all the time).  Hang in there!

2007-03-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: #707673

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

kns57 - 2007-03-01 9:47 AM I'll be walking my half mary which is now 3 weeks away. OMG!

YAY!  That will so exciting!  We'll all be cheering you on as you are racing from cyberspace!

2007-03-02 9:29 AM
in reply to: #708640

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I looked at some tri shoes on this website: http://www.sunrisecyclery.com.The sizes are listed differently they start at 32 (european sizes?) Do you know what size that would be in regular sizes? I wear a 9 1/2 so I'm not sure what size that would be.

If you can, consider going back to the bike shop just to try on different size shoes.  They need to be tight....not cramped, but tight.  I think a 9.5 would be about a 41-42? 

Do I need to get a bike trainer? Is there a specific one that you recommend? Do they fit any bike?

If the weather keeps you from riding outside, whether it is rain or cold or snow, then a trainer is a great thing to have.  Or if you like to get your workouts done when it is dark, a trainer is good then too.  I recommend a fluid trainer - they're smooth and quieter than the magnetic trainers.  Any brand is fine.....I have a Performance Bike brand, and they go on sale a lot. 

Are all helmets the same or are there specific features I should be looking for? Do I need bike gloves and do most people wear these during a race?

some helmets have more air vents or are more aero.  Any helmet that looks good on your head and matches your bike is fine!  (lol!).  Where you live, it can be pretty hot and humid, so it might be good to have lots of air vents! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34