BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-01-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1090400

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes!
Last Week:

Swim: goal: 2 hrs, actual 2:10
Run: goal: 3 hrs, actual 2:43
Bike: goal: 3 hrs, actual 4:30
Core/Weights: goal: 1.5 hrs, actual 1:00
Total: 10 plus hours

This Week:

S: 2.5 hours
R: 3.5 hours
B: 3.5 hours
C/W: 2 hours
Total: 11.5 hours

2008-01-28 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1177768

User image

Veteran

matthewmac - 2008-01-26 6:53 PM hey everyone. Finally feeling better. Ran 4 miles yesterday and am looking foward to running 4 more tomorrow morning to complete the weeks goal. Should I bump my running milage next week? I'm only looking at running a sprint on June so I dont know how important it is to run excessive. I'll have to add in biking soon. Looks like the weather is going to be nice. And when I do add in bike, what should I start at? Milage or time? I have a training guide but like to hear real world experience.

Sorry I was MIA over the weekend.  For biking, start out slowly.  My biggest problem was getting my butt accustomed to sitting on a bike seat, which can take weeks.  I started out with just 6-8 miles at a time.  I'd also recommend getting out frequently, but if things start to feel really sore, take a couple days off.  Once 8 miles felt super-easy, I ramped it up to a 12 miles loop.  Then over a couple months, I'd add 3-5 miles to my long ride until I got to 40.  As you're getting your body adjusted to a new activity, don't worry about speed.  Really.  Unless you're a natural on the bike, you'll probably be going pretty slowly, and be uncomfortable for a bit.

2008-01-28 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1178834

User image

Veteran

Dream Chaser - 2008-01-27 6:15 PM

Also, most tri programs I've seen are waaay light on the running (and I think a lot of people will agree with me). I think the two most important things to concentrate on are: 1.) technique in swimming and 2.) running, running, running. Running will give you a level of fitness like none of the other two discplines. 

Yes!  I agree, but I am biased.  That said, my team has a coach and I was laughing at the plans he posted last week.  It's got an "endurance bike" of over 3 hours, but an "endurance run" of 50 minutes.  I've heard that a balanced plan should have ~4 miles of biking for every 1 mile of running.  But you should do what you enjoy (ie., I usually have more of a 2:1 ratio).

[QOUTE]I had an 18 mile run planned for today (*cough* speaking of running ) but after 10.66 miles both of my top layers were soaked, the windchill was in the 20's, and I felt great and fine - legs felt awesome - but I wasn't about to risk pnemonia and my health, and possibly miss training next week, in order to hit my goals this week.

What kind of layers are we talking about here?  Cotton?  Wicking?  Base-layers?  Windbreaker?  In conditions like that, I'd say you need a good, insulating, wicking base-layer, with a breathable wind-shell (really thin and light) over.  Why were they soaked?  Sweat or rain?  If it's a big issue, I'd say hook up with a local running club and get advice on what to wear, how to layer, etc.

2008-01-28 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1179801

User image

Expert

I met last weeks goals, but I am already behind this week. That being said, here they are :

swim 3 hours

bike 2 hours

run 2 :30

Losing a pound or two would be nice. I think my kid commutes are done for the week, but Mrs. Gator is going out of town for two days so we shall see...Everyone is doing great!!

2008-01-28 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1178098

User image

Expert
pole_dancer - 2008-01-27 8:22 AM

I stopped by a running store yesterday that I'd heard of and had been wanting to visit.  While looking around, I overheard a conversation between an employee and a customer that has kinda got me down---

E:So what are you training for?
C:Nothing much, just the Frostbite 1/2 and the Country Music 1/2.  They moved the Frostbite this year to location B.  Is it going to be as hilly as location A?
E:Hillier...

Now I have huge doubts that I can finish this thing.  My training has been limited mostly to the indoor track (flat and soft).

Just do the race, you will be surprised how unprepared others are. And if someone gives you attitude, offer to fight them!! It works for me. (I am much bigger than most endurance athletes and it scares them, especially during mass swim starts    )

2008-01-28 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1179801

User image

jesswah - 2008-01-28 1:06 PM

What kind of layers are we talking about here?  Cotton?  Wicking?  Base-layers?  Windbreaker?  In conditions like that, I'd say you need a good, insulating, wicking base-layer, with a breathable wind-shell (really thin and light) over.  Why were they soaked?  Sweat or rain?  If it's a big issue, I'd say hook up with a local running club and get advice on what to wear, how to layer, etc.

I read this article in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/health/nutrition/17BEST.html?em&e...

I was wet from sweat. I wore an under armour long sleeve mock shirt, with a champion pullover over it. The champion pullover is a running-specific pullover and made of almost the same material as the under armour shirt. I probably could have use more of windbreaker pullover given the winds. The real problem was I stopped running to refuel. When I read the above article I learned that when you stop running you stop generating heat which allows your body temperature to drop. And if you are wet, you're body temperature will drop drastically because water transfers temperature 70X (or something like that) faster then air. Really, I guess, I could've gone in and changed into dry tops and continued running but going inside where it was warm and just riding the trainer in my tri suit seemed so more inviting!!

And I should join a running club but I'm a loner when it comes to training. Except when I'm on the trainer in my family room hanging out with the wife and kids

2008-01-28 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Hi team,

Sorry I've been MIA.  I was on vacation and playing catch-up at work.  So, I didn't have any goals posted last week.  Does that mean that I met my goals?  

Anyway, here are my goals for this week:
Swimming: 2hrs. 45 mins.
Running: 2hrs. 20 mins.
Biking: 5 hrs.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Did anyone race? 

2008-01-28 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

My goal for last week: 

01/21/08  Goal        4:30         3:00       0:30           8:00

Actual     4:33         3:29       0:45           8:47  (109.8%)

I had to ride another 30 minutes yesterday after my group ride was over just to make my goal.

I will keep the same goals for next week.

2008-01-28 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1179855

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
I second Gator22's comments. Go, do the race, slow down on the hills if you need to and you will finish and be fine. Everybody starts second guessing as race day nears. This is normal.

I had to laugh at the swim comment, because that is how I feel. People often ask me about fearing the swim start and all of that contact. I usually chuckle and tell them that this is the best part. It is the only time during any given tri when my size plays a role. I am a little bigger than most endurance athletes as well, so the contact is fine in the water. Now if only I had an advantage biking up the hills.
2008-01-28 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1180024

User image

naners - 2008-01-28 2:18 PM
Did anyone race? 

Hope you had a good vacation

I have a 5k this coming weekend. My third try at sub 20...

And I'll third gatjr33's advice about the hills and running a hilly race. We have nothing but hills here on northern Long Island. Why don't you drive the course ahead of time, this way you will familiarize yourself with the course, and then you can plan a strategy that includes conserving and exerting energy according to the undulations?

Also, some tips that I use are: go out a touch slower than you might normally; crank the ipod for each hill and then lower it when you are done; when going up the hills shorten your stride a little bit - lean slightly more forward - and just relax and concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and before you know it you will be up and over another hill. You're going to do great!

Believe it or not, I (and a lot of local runners) prefer running a course with some hills. When you continuoulsy run on a flat terrain your legs get fatigued more easily because of the montonous, unchanging terrain; when you run up hills blood flow is increased to your leg muscles and your body releases more adrenaline and more endorphins, so then when you overcome the hill the flat parts become much easier.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2008-01-28 3:24 PM
2008-01-29 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1180288

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Dream Chaser - 2008-01-28 10:14 AM
naners - 2008-01-28 2:18 PM Did anyone race?

Hope you had a good vacation I have a 5k this coming weekend. My third try at sub 20...

I did, thanks!  Good luck this weekend.  You speedy running folk are quite inspiring. 

2008-01-29 2:29 PM

User image

I'm not speedy, the guys I try and catch are the speedy ones!
2008-01-29 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how do you guys know that you are actually running with the right running shoes?

When I bought mine, I went to a local running store, where a salesperson looked at me, and at my feet and said: You need this! And that's it. Ever since I am running with this brand of shoes - now, I am planning to buy a new pair and was wondering why not trying something else?

I heard that at Road Runner they can fit you shoes using a computerized methods and then, at the end, you get a printout listing brands and models of shoes that would perfectly fit you. I am thinking to go there, but beforehand, I was wondering if anyone has done that and what is your opinion about it.

Thank you in advance, 

2008-01-29 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1182277

User image

Expert
Ronen - 2008-01-29 1:33 PM

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how do you guys know that you are actually running with the right running shoes?

When I bought mine, I went to a local running store, where a salesperson looked at me, and at my feet and said: You need this! And that's it. Ever since I am running with this brand of shoes - now, I am planning to buy a new pair and was wondering why not trying something else?

I heard that at Road Runner they can fit you shoes using a computerized methods and then, at the end, you get a printout listing brands and models of shoes that would perfectly fit you. I am thinking to go there, but beforehand, I was wondering if anyone has done that and what is your opinion about it.

Thank you in advance, 

And out of the depths I crawl.....

Sorry about my silence lately. The rain, neck issues, flu, family, work thing has been messing me up. I'm working on getting back in the groove.

Anyway, to Ronen's question: When I lived in San Diego I bought shoes at one place and one place only Movin' Shoes. They are awesome. They are all runners and watch you run and have you try on lots of different shoes and work with you to find the best thing for you. I even used to drive down there from here to get them, but have recently found a place closer. Anyway, here's the website:

http://www.movinshoes.com/

I've been to the Pacific Beach and Encinitas stores and they are both great. Good luck!

2008-01-29 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Ronen - 2008-01-29 3:33 PM

Hi everyone!

Thank you in advance, 

Be careful with that. I got a pair of Brooks Beast shoes just cause I was "big", but they are actually motion control and hurt my feet after about five miles. I went to FLEET FEET and they did a gait analysis in slow motion on a treadmill. I got some Saucony grid omni 5's that rock. They were actually cheaper than the brooks too. FLEET FEET is a national chain I am sure there is one in SD.

2008-01-29 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Ronen - 2008-01-29 1:33 PM

Hi everyone!

Thank you in advance, 

It really depends on the expertise of the sales people.  I've gone to both Fleet Feet and Road Runner Sports and have had good and bad experiences at each.  RRS uses a pressure sensing pad and video-taping on a TM.  FF just watches you run up the block and back (at least where I live).  Frankly, I feel there is no way to guarantee that you get the right shoe.  That said, pick a well known store, ask for someone with LOTS of experience fitting shoes/doing gait analysis.  Get them to talk you through it... have them tell you what your biomechanics are, what type of shoe, and WHY.  Once you have a type of shoe (neutral, stability, motion control), they'll make recommendations.  Try on at least 3 until you find a pair you really like.  If you don't find a shoe that really fits well, don't be afraid to go somewhere else - no store I have been to has every shoe.  That said, I lean towards RRS b/c they have a generous return policy (full refund in you take it for your first run outside and for whatever reason it doesn't work - also means they sell some discounted shoes).  Don't be afraid to try something new out.  I've gotten the feeling that there are a lot of shoes that are very similar - all would work very well for me, and mostly it boils down to fit/comfort.  In the past year, I've bought 6 pairs - 2 were almost identical (one was an updated version of a previous shoe) the rest were different.  I've learned out a bit about how different brands wear out on my feet (abuse).

Oh yeah... and avoid shopping in summer, FF near me always is staffed with high school students who don't know jack!

2008-01-29 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1182132

User image

Veteran

Dream Chaser - 2008-01-29 12:29 PM I'm not speedy, the guys I try and catch are the speedy ones!

To those of us that started 5k's at over 30 minutes (33 to be exact), <20 is blazing fast!  I realize I could now do <23, but even that seems ridiculously fast.

2008-01-29 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
So, there's a local 5K/10K/Half on Sunday.  Thinking of doing the 10K just to see how fast I can go.  I did this race 3 years ago as my fist ever 10K.  I had thought that my time was 1:01 or 1:03 something.  Nope.  1:07:45.  Damn!  That's 10:54/mile.  That's a lot slower than I thought I ran.  Nothing like some good proof of just how far I've come.  My second 10K (last April) was 54-something.
2008-01-30 7:21 AM
in reply to: #1182851

User image

Expert
I just got an OT shift for Sat night until at least 3:30 a.m.  NO racing for me on that little sleep, but the ex-Mrs. Gator has to get paid !!!!
2008-01-30 9:15 AM

User image

To Ronen: Everyone has given you really good advice about getting shoes. If you want the proper shoe you need to know if you are a pronator, supinator (unlikley) or neutral in your gait. The salesperson that just looked at your foot is likely just taking a wild guess. You need to have somebody watch you run or, do the paper bag test like I did These links explain it in detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_type http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2006/06/your-foot-type-a-simple-test-...

This is purely my opinion --> I am a firm believer in less is more. Find out the weight of the show and try to stick with something at a minimum of sub 12 oz. The heavier shoes are motion control or "cushioned" trainers. The problems with these shoes is you cannot feel the road!! This is very bad as your mind is not getting the proper feeback from the foot and -- in short -- can lead to serious injury. I highly recommend light-weight trainers. Light-weight trainers are usually around 9 oz... they have enough support and cushion to make long runs comfortable and at the same time let you feel the road. For the first few weeks using a lighter shoe your legs will be sore. But the end result will be stronger faster legs. If your foot fits Asics, I highly recommend Asics shoes as they have a very, very long history of specfically focusing on running shoes. After Asics I would recommend New Balance. Just my three cents.
2008-01-30 9:25 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Ronen,

You have plenty of good advice here so I will be brief. From another perspective, I go by feel. I learned what type of shoe I should wear, and I have learned what brand seems to work best for me. However, there was a stretch whereby I tried a number of different shoes. If you run enough, you will go through several pairs over the years. I looked at it as an opportunity to try new shoes. I also do some things like having two pairs of shoes going at the same time. I will alternate usage. This has allowed me to directly compare types of shoes and to make better decisions. Now a days, I pretty much stick with one brand, but I still have two pairs going at the same time. This allows me to break in a new pair as I cycle out an old pair. When you find the right shoes, you will know it. You could also say that you will know if/when you ever select a pair of shoes that are not right for you, as Gator22 mentions.

2008-01-30 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1182132

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
A sub 20 5K is pretty fast from where I stand. Good luck!
2008-01-30 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1182851

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
jesswah - 2008-01-29 9:27 PM

So, there's a local 5K/10K/Half on Sunday.  Thinking of doing the 10K just to see how fast I can go.  I did this race 3 years ago as my fist ever 10K.  I had thought that my time was 1:01 or 1:03 something.  Nope.  1:07:45.  Damn!  That's 10:54/mile.  That's a lot slower than I thought I ran.  Nothing like some good proof of just how far I've come.  My second 10K (last April) was 54-something.

Jess,

That is a huge jump. It just goes to show you what you can do if you put in the time and effort. For me, motivation comes from looking back and comparing results to where you are now. Progress like yours just motivates you to work that much harder. Good job!!
2008-01-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1183432

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Dream Chaser - 2008-01-30 9:15 AM

To Ronen: Everyone has given you really good advice about getting shoes. If you want the proper shoe you need to know if you are a pronator, supinator (unlikley) or neutral in your gait. The salesperson that just looked at your foot is likely just taking a wild guess. You need to have somebody watch you run or, do the paper bag test like I did These links explain it in detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_type http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2006/06/your-foot-type-a-simple-test-...

This is purely my opinion --> I am a firm believer in less is more. Find out the weight of the show and try to stick with something at a minimum of sub 12 oz. The heavier shoes are motion control or "cushioned" trainers. The problems with these shoes is you cannot feel the road!! This is very bad as your mind is not getting the proper feeback from the foot and -- in short -- can lead to serious injury. I highly recommend light-weight trainers. Light-weight trainers are usually around 9 oz... they have enough support and cushion to make long runs comfortable and at the same time let you feel the road. For the first few weeks using a lighter shoe your legs will be sore. But the end result will be stronger faster legs. If your foot fits Asics, I highly recommend Asics shoes as they have a very, very long history of specfically focusing on running shoes. After Asics I would recommend New Balance. Just my three cents.

Ronen,

Second Asics. They work for me and as I said previously, I have shopped around. I always ended up back with Asics.
2008-01-30 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1183493

User image

Expert
I wanted to add one other thought about doing a race you might not be that confident about. I always tell my girlfriend that if it looks like I might finish last, I am going to tank it and finish last on purpose. People always cheer the loudest for you when you finish last and don't quit!!! Second last....not so much.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  

of 18