BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-09-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3118997

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
PennState - 2010-09-27 6:22 AM Ken, how are you finding the late season IM training? ie; is it hard to keep this up as we enter fall? Has it prolonged your season in a positive or negative way?

Just curious.

I'm curious about this too. I'm realizing that if I do IMAZ next year that I'll be getting into the big mileage around this time next year and I'm wondering how it is to deal with it when most people are focused on fall running races and/or winding down their seasons. I could see it being a challenge especially as daylight becomes less abundant.

2010-09-27 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3118997

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-09-27 9:22 AM Ken, how are you finding the late season IM training? ie; is it hard to keep this up as we enter fall? Has it prolonged your season in a positive or negative way?

Just curious.

I am doing fairly well with my training so far, and I am down to about 5 weeks to go.  I will add that over the last week or so, the mid week bike rides have gone to the trainer unless it is under an hour as the days are getting short enough that there just isn't any more time after work.  Fortunately Florida is relatively flat, so constant spinning in aero doesn't hurt when complimented with the weekend outside rides.

Where I live I can run in the mornings in the dark safely so that helps me with my run training.  I like the high volume low intensity so having the mornings outside is a real plus. 

My biggest challenge with the fall IM has more to do with my personal/business life than the time of year.  September is always a big meeting month for me, so I lose at least 2 weekends to meetings and the associated travelling.  My temporary bussiness assignment in Southern California is a mixed blessing, this may be important to you Fred.  Normally I would be in upstate NY and this time of year and even on the weekend the weather could be gorgeous or cold and ugly.  So the weekends could force an inside bike ride if I were home, out here it will probably always be outside.  But being away from home has been a challenge dealing with the swimming.  For example, last week I had my home Y and I put in over 10K, but who knows what this week will bring.

As far as extending the season, I am a victim of my own agressiveness.  I did the Disney Goofy Challenge (marathon and a half) in early January.  After a short break Musselman training started and Florida is 17 weeks from Musselman so it was right into that.  In hindsight, if not for my own benefit for the benefit of my very understaning wife I should have probably done something different about Musselman in July.  Maybe a shorter plan or something.  But a nice cruise after New Years and she will be happy with me again! Seriously though, she is a trooper and never complains!

To sum it up, I would do a November IM again, maybe someday an October one (Ha!).  I may be doing a September IM next year, which I think may be a bit easier but summer time always has its share of challenges as well.

Hopefully Pete will chime in on this as well. 

2010-09-27 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3119774

Expert
GRB1 - 2010-09-27 2:04 PM
PennState - 2010-09-27 8:22 AM Ken, how are you finding the late season IM training? ie; is it hard to keep this up as we enter fall? Has it prolonged your season in a positive or negative way?

Just curious.

Good question, I was thinking the same thing when I was contemplating IM AZ next year.  It would be hard to get in bike miles as the daylight hours are rapidly shrinking.  Are you planning on some serious trainer time?

Same here. I was thinking about that this morning as i woke up and it was still dark out
2010-09-27 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3115751

Expert
PennState - 2010-09-24 10:30 AM I just bought a cross bike. Lots of fun, I will post pics Later

Such a tease...

2010-09-27 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3120143

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-27 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3120666

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-09-27 7:10 PM
dharris13 - 2010-09-27 4:09 PM
PennState - 2010-09-24 10:30 AM I just bought a cross bike. Lots of fun, I will post pics Later

Such a tease...

Here is a pic frm a weekend cross ride.
I will post close-ups on the bike later

Great pic!

2010-09-27 10:56 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Expert

fantastic pic!

thanks fred!

2010-09-28 2:08 PM

2010-09-28 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3122131

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-09-28 3:08 PM I don't know if you are following Newbz'z thread in triathlon talk about his race.

It's pretty upsetting, although no one is 100% certain of what happened yet.

Anyone read this or have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks.

After your post I had to go read it, and wound up skimming through the ST thread as well.  Unfortunately at this point on either thread nothing will be said that will convince some of his inonsense or others of his guilt.  Unless the race director comes on and says that there were timing mats entering the second lap of the swim and on the out and back of the bike I don't beleive we will ever know the truth.  That is short of a confession. 

I am a person that naturally gives people the benefit of the doubt, but I do agree with Bryan that some of his threads were a bit self serving. 

ST posters are getting thrashed in 2 threads today, the other is the running out of medals thread.  I couldn't waste anymore time so I didn't go to ST on that one!

2010-09-28 7:53 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
PennState - 2010-09-28 12:08 PM I don't know if you are following Newbz'z thread in triathlon talk about his race.

Thanks.

After you posted this I had to read it.  I've always been a guilty until proven innocent guy but the story doesn't mesh too well.  Regardless, he'll be watched every race from now on and I doubt he'll try anything (if in fact it was an attempt to cheat).

BTW Fred, that's an awesome pic! Makes me want to move to Pennsylvania.
2010-09-29 3:58 AM

Expert
PennState - 2010-09-28 1:08 PM I don't know if you are following Newbz'z thread in triathlon talk about his race.

Thanks.

He is now admitting that he missed an out and back section of the course. I guess he was following people in front of him and missed a small section. He has asked that his results be pulled. It was nice that he fessed up to a mistake. I didn't see the initial posts but this is where it stands right now.

2010-09-29 6:14 AM
in reply to: #3123110

2010-09-29 5:18 PM

2010-09-29 6:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Training is going well this week for me.

I'm now fully immersed into marathon training and this coming weekend I'll be doing my first training run that will be longer than a half marathon (eek!). I'm finding that the more I run the more quickly I'm able to recover from my long runs and I'm just feeling really good. Hoping this feeling sticks around as my plan has me build towards my first 20 miler at the end of October.

I'm finding that now that I have my training motivation back 100% I'm also wanting to swim and bike more. I keep having to reign myself in and remind myself that I'm focusing on running and that since this is my "offseason" I shouldn't be working out 2x a day since there will be plenty of time for that next year! I'm finding it challenging to not try to do too much too soon when I'm feeling good.

In October I'm going to do some more research on IMAZ so that when November 22nd rolls around and registration opens I can hopefully register online and get my lodging all booked right away.

I'm 100% committed to doing the race if I can get in so I'm excited to see what the next year has in store!
2010-09-29 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3124864

Edited by PennState 2010-09-29 6:36 PM
2010-09-29 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3124872

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
"know about the active.com registration tricks for getting into an IM?"

I dont. I would like to hear about the tricks. You never know when you might need to know about these things Smile

2010-09-29 6:49 PM

2010-09-29 9:04 PM

Master
Dunedin
Hey all!

I'm just a few days away from my third, and final, marathon in a year.  We're doing a four minute run/two min walk combo and so I'm not too worried about it since our run pace is 12 min and our walk pace will be around 16.  The goal is to finish under...6 1/2 hours!  It's kind of nice to not worry about my overall time, but earlier this year I really thought I was going to run the Wineglass to BQ.  

PT is working well so far, a lot of the pain that I have is going away.  They've been doing tons and tons and tons of stretching, some "acupuncture" (minus the needles), hip strength training, and this week they added balance exercises.  

I still can't fully extend my left arm when I swim, otherwise I have a tight spot/pulling feeling in my groin.  The PT says not to aggravate that spot, so it looks like IF I were to swim then I would have to adjust my technique.  She suggested I take a complete break from physical activity for a while which kind of shocks me.  But, I'm willing to give it a shot after Monday!

Hope all is well! 
2010-09-29 9:55 PM
in reply to: #3124788

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
PennState - 2010-09-29 5:18 PM So some new business:

1. I am done with the Newbz situation. Thoughts were posted, it's up to others to decide on how they feel about it. I apologize if I spent too much time posting on it here, but I am big on integrity in this sport.

2. Are there any other topics the group wishes to explore?

3. How is training going today/ this week?

Fred,
 I didn't have the chance to read the other threads on the Newbz situation.   I think you can remove Newbz from the discussion and it is still a great topic to discuss.  I concur with your thoughts about integrity and what seems like a lack of it at times in triathlon and sports in general. 

I had the opportunity to speak with a multiple time IM winner/pro female and asked her about PEDs in the tri community.  She indicated they are rampant and becoming more prevelant.  This does not surprise me, but it is a little disturbing considering what is at stake.   

It is too bad that so many feel it is OK to take a shortcut and only really express regret when they are caught.  I once saw a survey in Sports Illustrated about Olympic athletes who were asked if they were guaranteed to win an olympic gold medal using steroids, without being caught, and it reduced their life by 10 years, somewhere around 75% said they would do it.

I have to say I have seen numerous folks who have "cheated" in a triathlon.  This happens almost all the time on the bike with folks drafting.  During IMWI I actually had two guys from the same team pass me while doing rotating pulls.  Another example of it's OK as long as I don't get caught.  Kind of pissed me off, so I pushed hard, passed them, slowed down and then worked myself inbetween them and forced the 4 bike length gap between them.  I kept this up for about 5 miles and eventually broke them apart.  It was fun for me and helped to break up the ride a bit.  As you can imagine their speed dropped considerably when they were separated and I did end up leaving them behind. 

Another lack of integrity at the same race was me approaching a 25 year old on the bike.  He procedes to throw all his trash on the side of the road, a empty water bottle and a handful of empty gel wrappers.  About 10 seconds later I ride up next to him, look him in the eye and tell him "your better than that"  he doesn't say a word and I continue to pass him.  It's not like the 1/4 of a pound of bottle and wrappers was going to slow him down, but he just didn't care.  I mean really if a 42 year old, MOPer is passing you on the bike your probably not going to Kona qualify.

I really do agree with you in that a lack of integrity really gets under my skin and it should not be accepted.  I will get off my soap box now.  

Training has been somewhat relaxed for me the last couple of weeks.  I feel like I am pretty much fully recovered post IM now.  I am looking at doing a 1/2 marathon on Halloween.  It will give me something to focus on the next couple of weeks. 
2010-09-29 10:07 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
I've been getting deep tissue massage treatments on my calf and its really helped.  For the first time in 12 weeks, I'm anticipating a comeback to training.  Either this weekend or the next; since I won't have a race for another 6 months I want to take my time with it.

I went out and bought compression socks, and an ankle brace.  The plan is to cycle with the brace so my achilles will not move as much.  Its probably overkill but I'd rather play it safe.  I've never subscribed to the compression revolution but if eating a live hamster would help I'd do that too!

I think a major culprit in my injury was a tight calf.  The massage loosened it and my leg feels more relaxed.  I'm still getting twinges but they feel like recovery twinges and not 'stop doing this or you'll get hurt' twinges (if that makes any sense).

2010-09-29 10:44 PM
in reply to: #3124892

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
PennState - 2010-09-29 4:49 PM Active.com tricks:

1. You can register for an Active.com account at any time. ie; do it before registration day. they ask for certain info about you. If you don't fill it out beforehand then this will cost you time on Ironman registration day. Definitely do this!

2. I would recommend getting online about 5-10 min. before registration opens up.

3. I would recommend against opening up more than 1 window and trying to register more than once from the same computer.

4. You HAVE to answer the goofball questions on registraion day, like "Why do you want to do said ironman?" etc. Give really, really short answers like. "cause" etc.

5. Stay calm.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tricks! I already have an Active.com account and was planning on going in soon and making sure they have all the correct info so that I'll be good to go. I was trying to decide if I should try to register from work or home (I can work at home) and decided to do it at work since our internet connection is faster and more reliable. I have two hours blocked out on my schedule that day in case something goes wrong and plan to just try to be speedy and calm all at the same time. Smile 

2010-09-30 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3125134

2010-09-30 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3125125

2010-09-30 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3125158

2010-09-30 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3125082

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121