BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-10-09 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3142097

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!

GRB1 - 2010-10-08 10:21 PM I sent off an e-mail today asking about the application process for the IMWI protective service slots.  If I get one I'm in.  Fred this is all your fault!  Seriously it would be really cool and a great honor to race in this capacity.

If only we had a former USMC member, who is a member of this mentor group, who could apply, that would be really cool.  Anyone fit that description?

I hope that works out and you get in!! I agree, that would be a cool honor to race in that capacity!! 
Good luck!

2010-10-09 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Master
Dunedin

I'm watching Kona at work!!!!!!  I think Chrissie Wellington made a GREAT decision not to race if she wasn't 100% on her game.  It's fantastic that Mirinda won, but I wonder how many others wonder if she could have beat CW?

Anyway, our club organized a 101 mile ride made up of several 7+ mile loops with a smaller at the end.  I tried one loop and quite after 1.5 miles.  Just wasn't worth trying to complete a full loop in pain if I don't have anything to train for.  

Monday is our club meeting. I'm really looking forward to it! We're almost done with our first year and I hope that we have people step up for next year...we could have SO much to offer if we had more hands! 

2010-10-09 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

I'm watching Kona at work!!!!!!  I think Chrissie Wellington made a GREAT decision not to race if she wasn't 100% on her game.  It's fantastic that Mirinda won, but I wonder how many others wonder if she could have beat CW?

Anyway, our club organized a 101 mile ride made up of several 7+ mile loops with a smaller at the end.  I tried one loop and quite after 1.5 miles.  Just wasn't worth trying to complete a full loop in pain if I don't have anything to train for.  

Monday is our club meeting. I'm really looking forward to it! We're almost done with our first year and I hope that we have people step up for next year...we could have SO much to offer if we had more hands! 

2010-10-10 12:53 AM
in reply to: #3142097

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
GRB1 - 2010-10-08 7:21 PM I sent off an e-mail today asking about the application process for the IMWI protective service slots.  If I get one I'm in.  Fred this is all your fault!  Seriously it would be really cool and a great honor to race in this capacity.

If only we had a former USMC member, who is a member of this mentor group, who could apply, that would be really cool.  Anyone fit that description?

I wonder who that could be!

I'm slightly interested but our calendar has revolved around me doing IMAZ next year; we'll be in Italy in June (and I wont train much then )  Let me know how about it when you get something back.

2010-10-10 12:57 AM
in reply to: #3143301

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
WittyCityGirl - 2010-10-09 6:55 PM

Those short loops are horrid,  you get more opportunities to quit.

I enjoyed the Kona coverage and I thought Mirinda could have beat Chrissy today; she would have been chasing to the end, and would have been even faster.
2010-10-10 3:42 AM

User image

Expert
Watched a bit of Kona this afternoon and was able to watch the race for the finish and what a race it was. I was also able to see some of my friends from Phoenix on the course and that was exciting. I tried to go to bed but just couldn't sleep so I'm up watching more age groupers come it. I love it.

I volunteered at a Sprint and Olympic distance race in Peoria, AZ (a suburb of Phoenix) at Lake Pleasant. It was a lot of fun and I got to see a lot of friends. Also got to volunteer for the first time with my tri club and we had a great showing.

My training this week has been lackluster. I still have a bit over 7 miles to get my 14 miles of running in this week but I'll do it tomorrow because I won't not get my miles in for my 1/2 marathon program. I was going to do 40-50 miles on the bike on Sunday but I just have so much to do that I won't get to do it. The weather is finally beautiful here and it is perfect for working out.

2010-10-11 5:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-10-11 5:52 AM
in reply to: #3143436

2010-10-11 11:47 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

One more weekend of big training and then the "taper" starts!  I am planning on heading up to a bike path that is about 70 plus miles round trip of fairly flat and traffic free (other than other bikes) on Saturday.  I'll go out and back to get another 40 or so to complete the 112 race rehearsal.  Then Sunday is the last 20 miler of this plan!

Taper is fairly gradual with most of the reduction the first week and a half in the long bike and runs on the weekend.

Pretty pleased with the way most of my training is going!

You guys in off season are really doing great keeping your training going!!

2010-10-11 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3144313

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-10-11 6:51 AM Hey I was away in NYC this weekend. I am fighting a stomach flu (and losing) as well.

I did watch some of the Kona race. WOW! Macca really made that epic didn't he?

I hope you get feeling better Fred!

2010-10-11 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3144313

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
PennState - 2010-10-11 3:51 AM Hey I was away in NYC this weekend. I am fighting a stomach flu (and losing) as well.

Hope you feel better Fred!

I watched the race on Saturday after I got home from my 16 miler. Macca was amazing!

While I'm excited about my marathon in December (we're in serious build mode with 18 miles coming up this weekend) I'm also sort of tired and ready to be done with this season. Went to a happy hour with my tri club on Friday night and all my friends are in the "off season" while I'm still in training mode. Looking forward to taking most of the month of December easy and unstructured.

2010-10-11 7:25 PM

2010-10-12 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3145209

Pro
Canandaigua NY

calimavs - 2010-10-11 1:26 PM
PennState - 2010-10-11 3:51 AM Hey I was away in NYC this weekend. I am fighting a stomach flu (and losing) as well.

Hope you feel better Fred!

I watched the race on Saturday after I got home from my 16 miler. Macca was amazing!

While I'm excited about my marathon in December (we're in serious build mode with 18 miles coming up this weekend) I'm also sort of tired and ready to be done with this season. Went to a happy hour with my tri club on Friday night and all my friends are in the "off season" while I'm still in training mode. Looking forward to taking most of the month of December easy and unstructured.

I know what you mean about being ready for a break.  I don't mind getting up for a workout during the week, but the 2nd workout of the day or having the alarm go off early on the weekends is getting a little old. 

It will all be worth it come race day!!!

2010-10-12 7:33 AM

2010-10-12 2:22 PM

Expert
glad you are getting bette fred....and keep it up Ken. ohhh so close to taper!
2010-10-12 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3143436

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
furiousferret - 2010-10-10 12:53 AM
GRB1 - 2010-10-08 7:21 PM I sent off an e-mail today asking about the application process for the IMWI protective service slots.  If I get one I'm in.  Fred this is all your fault!  Seriously it would be really cool and a great honor to race in this capacity.

I'm slightly interested but our calendar has revolved around me doing IMAZ next year; we'll be in Italy in June (and I wont train much then )  Let me know how about it when you get something back.

The response I got back was to go to the IM WI website.  Basically you would need to submit a bio and a statement of service to the link on the page.  I'm not sure if it is open to former service members, but it is worth a shot if your interested.  The worst they can say is no. Besides we all know that there are very few Marines man enough to take on an IM, you must be the rare exception 

2010-10-12 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3148612

Master
Redlands, CA
GRB1 - 2010-10-12 7:05 PM
furiousferret - 2010-10-10 12:53 AM

The response I got back was to go to the IM WI website.  Basically you would need to submit a bio and a statement of service to the link on the page.  I'm not sure if it is open to former service members, but it is worth a shot if your interested.  The worst they can say is no. Besides we all know that there are very few Marines man enough to take on an IM, you must be the rare exception 

Yeah, they should make Marines learn to swim in Boot Camp...wait they already do

I'll be doing IMAZ for sure, we just started taking Italian lessons for our trip in July.  Unfortunately I won't be able to train much there, I'll probably do a 3-5 mile run each day but no cycling, which is sacriledge on an Italy trip!

2010-10-12 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3146639

Master
Redlands, CA
PennState - 2010-10-12 5:33 AM Well I got a very easy short run in this am. Still not 100%, but getting better. Flu sucks

At least you got a run in, if you're like me not exercising leaves me restless and somewhat mopey :P
2010-10-13 2:13 PM

2010-10-13 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3150128

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-10-13 3:13 PM My buddy BryanCDs race report is up. It's an EPIC report I would highly recommend you all read.

It was a good report.

2010-10-13 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3150128

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-10-13 1:13 PM My buddy BryanCDs race report is up. It's an EPIC report I would highly recommend you all read.

It is a great report!  I really got a sense of who he is by the time I was finished. Impressive.

2010-10-13 7:51 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

I can't seem to get the idea of doing an IM out of my head.  There are moments when I think " I should give it a try, I think I could do this" Those times are usually when I am watching the BOPs' finishing the IM on TV or online. Then there are other times when I think "No way do I want to do that!" (I think this when I imagine being mauled in the swim, see the people collapsing at the finish line or read race reports where there has been extreme suffering to the point of multiple IVs and/or hospitalization. Also the amount of training seems a bit daunting. (of course doing anything beyond a sprint tri seemed that way at one point in my life).
I have to admit that another reason I have been thinking about this a lot is that I have a friend who is battling what looks like to be a losing fight with Cancer and she often speaks about the importance of living in the here and now, doing what you want to do now.. don't wait to live life.

I recently started working with a coach and am learning that what I thought was the beginning of burn out was really just me being VERY frustrated about the lack of running improvement and going through a season of training and racing "alone" (in the past years I had friends who did this with me. They stopped and I kept going) and with a medical issue (dental infection and two dental surgeries) that took a lot out of me in many ways. Once I got off the phone with the coach after our initial talk, I was excited again. It was like a light switch was turned on.  (that is a good sign I think).

I wonder if the fact that I go back and forth on the idea of an IM vs. saying with conviction "I want to do an IM" is an indicator that I should wait or if that is a normal reaction when contemplating something this big. I mean what is the rush right? 

And the other thing... what race would I do?   I don't know about to many of them (only what I read) and I am assuming most of the ones that have opened are already sold out.  I think about IM Arizona since it is close and flatter then many but then there is IM FL.  I don't know of any others that are still available.
Thanks for letting me ramble. I figured if any group of people would understand what I am thinking, you all would.
If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

2010-10-13 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3150876

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-10-13 8:51 PM

I can't seem to get the idea of doing an IM out of my head.  There are moments when I think " I should give it a try, I think I could do this" Those times are usually when I am watching the BOPs' finishing the IM on TV or online. Then there are other times when I think "No way do I want to do that!" (I think this when I imagine being mauled in the swim, see the people collapsing at the finish line or read race reports where there has been extreme suffering to the point of multiple IVs and/or hospitalization. Also the amount of training seems a bit daunting. (of course doing anything beyond a sprint tri seemed that way at one point in my life).
I have to admit that another reason I have been thinking about this a lot is that I have a friend who is battling what looks like to be a losing fight with Cancer and she often speaks about the importance of living in the here and now, doing what you want to do now.. don't wait to live life.

I recently started working with a coach and am learning that what I thought was the beginning of burn out was really just me being VERY frustrated about the lack of running improvement and going through a season of training and racing "alone" (in the past years I had friends who did this with me. They stopped and I kept going) and with a medical issue (dental infection and two dental surgeries) that took a lot out of me in many ways. Once I got off the phone with the coach after our initial talk, I was excited again. It was like a light switch was turned on.  (that is a good sign I think).

I wonder if the fact that I go back and forth on the idea of an IM vs. saying with conviction "I want to do an IM" is an indicator that I should wait or if that is a normal reaction when contemplating something this big. I mean what is the rush right? 

And the other thing... what race would I do?   I don't know about to many of them (only what I read) and I am assuming most of the ones that have opened are already sold out.  I think about IM Arizona since it is close and flatter then many but then there is IM FL.  I don't know of any others that are still available.
Thanks for letting me ramble. I figured if any group of people would understand what I am thinking, you all would.

I understand exactly where you are and have been there myself a few years ago!! Although I throw a negative post about the training volume every now and then, I do not regret this for one second.  The first one I did to finish, this one to improve.  There may be a 3rd or there may not, still deciding and it may come but not right away.

Having a coach that understands your goals and lifestyle or a plan that does the same is the key.  An understanding support system at home helps as well.  Other wise it is just time swimming/biking/running. 

Unless you are firm on doing a "branded" Ironman race, you still have lots of options as most of the independents don't sell out until much closer to race date.  Otherwise you only have FL and AZ at regular pricing, although there are probably community slots still available for some of the others.  They cost about twice as much.  I wanted the branded experience first and my second is as well, but I am thinking if I do a third it might be an idependent.

Good luck with your decision!

2010-10-13 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3150876

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Kath2163 - 2010-10-13 7:51 PM

I think your reactions are normal for just about everyone who has taken on an IM or even thinks about doing one.  I had similar thoughts as I moved toward registering for my IM.  I was excited even thinking about doing it.  This was countered with doubt about my ability to finish one.  Sometimes we let outside influences and normal rational thoughts interfer with attaining goals or even attempting to pursue them. 

I think the first step is deciding to do an IM first, then figure out the actual event and what works best for you.  Don't worry about the second prior to the first.   

Edited by GRB1 2010-10-13 9:15 PM
2010-10-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3150693

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

I sent in my application for the IMWI protective service slot today.  I have no idea when I will find out if I am selected or not.

Kathleen,

Just sending in the application gets me excited and nervous at the same time.  This still happens even 1 month out from finishing the same race I am hoping to attempt next year. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121