Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-08-25 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
I realize that I am probably the exception when it comes to triathlon, so my oponion on Joe's blog might be different than others but...

I really don't enjoy racing.  I'm always a huge anxiety ridden mess come race day, and talk myself out of and then back into actually doing the race 1000x before I ever even get my transition area set up.

I don't really train for triathlons to race... I train for them because I enjoy the training.

I love long bike rides and long runs.  I love doing so many laps in the pool that I lose count of how far I've swam.

I'm not particularly fast, nor do I really want to do the type of training that it takes to *get* faster, because I don't enjoy it.

Because of all that, I tend to gravitate twords longer distances as I enjoy the training for them more.  Often times I race with a goal of to "just finish", or with a finishing time that is not particularly ambitious.

I'm more of a "it's about the journey rather than the destination" kinda girl I guess...

That said, I have an equal amount of respect for someone who has flames shooting out of their feet when they run a 5k as I do for the Ironman World Champion.  Distance doesn't really factor in for me when I think about whether or not someone is a great athlete. 

2009-08-26 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Had a super good swim workout this morning. Jumped into lane 3 and held my own. I liked it because I had to really work at it but it felt good at the end to be toast. I really think I held good form when I was getting tired. I know on the last 2 50 sprints is was a little off but over all felt good.

This week is loaded with fun guy stuff. Poker tourney on Friday night and 3 fantast football drafts on Saturday. Add in a 40 mi bike on Saturday and I am liking this weekend.
2009-08-26 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2371370

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nice!  You must have been wearing your BT speedo this morning.

Speaking of BT, I forgot to mention and you'll totally appreciate this Todd.....I may have sung a little BT during the bike on Sunday   More than anything it makes me laugh and forget about any pain I'm in.

Newtons1st - 2009-08-26 10:20 AM Had a super good swim workout this morning. Jumped into lane 3 and held my own. I liked it because I had to really work at it but it felt good at the end to be toast. I really think I held good form when I was getting tired. I know on the last 2 50 sprints is was a little off but over all felt good.

2009-08-26 9:31 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Happy frickin' Hump Day kiddos! I hope y'alls week is progressing well!

I did a dumb thing last night while at the gym... I decided to go to gym to get my swim in and then hit my trainer after (in an effort to stay with the plan - rather than swap days)... well, my swim got cut a few minutes short, and rather then lift weights or maybe stretch (the smarter choices), I decided to go hop on th treadmill, while I was waiting for Jen to finish her Body Works class. [The thought was an easy run then I would go home and get on my trainer for the planned 1hr ride] Well, the treadmill at the gym is a lot like running at Memorial Park for me... and I don't really know WHY I get caught up in this... but I ended up running faster than I should have (especially after a hard effort on Saturday). Last night was no exception... as I pushed a 9mph pace (6:46) for three miles. When I got off the treadmill and walked down the stairs to meet Jen and head to the house.... I knew I had hurt my right quad! It was very sore - even to the touch! Strained it for sure. So, needless to say, I scrapped the bike ride (even if it was gonna be on the trainer). I guess I am just venting my frustration towards my own stupidity...

I guess this goes back to the 'Go Longer vs faster' debate... The thing about going the IM distance, is that you have to have a schedule that is condusive to 12-15 hrs of training a week. Unfortunately for me, I do not... I will continue to move forward towards IMFL, but it is another factor in my decision to not do IM 2010. My schedule is condusive to HIM or less without much concern. Since we were on the topic yesterday, I thought I would just add that...

Sorry for the novel! BTW, I wasn't gonna race again until IMFL... but I am kinda itching to squeeze one more in... The problem is, Oct 25! Do I make the trip west and cheer on the peeps or do I stay at home and race?

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-08-26 9:33 AM
2009-08-26 9:32 AM

User image

Newtons1st - 2009-08-26 9:20 AM Had a super good swim workout this morning. Jumped into lane 3 and held my own. I liked it because I had to really work at it but it felt good at the end to be toast. I really think I held good form when I was getting tired. I know on the last 2 50 sprints is was a little off but over all felt good.

This week is loaded with fun guy stuff. Poker tourney on Friday night and 3 fantast football drafts on Saturday. Add in a 40 mi bike on Saturday and I am liking this weekend.

Great job!  Speedy 'EvD' Jr!  Way to show off the Aqua Skills!
2009-08-26 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2371379

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
If I was wearing my BT speedo I would be in lane 4.

That is soooo awesome...you are so my "Hero" now. I told you it helps spark some motivation and easy the pain. Now you need to load it to your Ipod and use it on your long runs.

KelliD - 2009-08-26 9:23 AM Nice!  You must have been wearing your BT speedo this morning.

Speaking of BT, I forgot to mention and you'll totally appreciate this Todd.....I may have sung a little BT during the bike on Sunday   More than anything it makes me laugh and forget about any pain I'm in.

Newtons1st - 2009-08-26 10:20 AM Had a super good swim workout this morning. Jumped into lane 3 and held my own. I liked it because I had to really work at it but it felt good at the end to be toast. I really think I held good form when I was getting tired. I know on the last 2 50 sprints is was a little off but over all felt good.

2009-08-26 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2371402

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Ohh man bad news. Hope you are doing all the proper methods to get that baby back into normal working condition.

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-26 9:31 AM

I did a dumb thing last night while at the gym... I decided to go to gym to get my swim in and then hit my trainer after (in an effort to stay with the plan - rather than swap days)... well, my swim got cut a few minutes short, and rather then lift weights or maybe stretch (the smarter choices), I decided to go hop on th treadmill, while I was waiting for Jen to finish her Body Works class. [The thought was an easy run then I would go home and get on my trainer for the planned 1hr ride] Well, the treadmill at the gym is a lot like running at Memorial Park for me... and I don't really know WHY I get caught up in this... but I ended up running faster than I should have (especially after a hard effort on Saturday). Last night was no exception... as I pushed a 9mph pace (6:46) for three miles. When I got off the treadmill and walked down the stairs to meet Jen and head to the house.... I knew I had hurt my right quad! It was very sore - even to the touch! Strained it for sure. So, needless to say, I scrapped the bike ride (even if it was gonna be on the trainer). I guess I am just venting my frustration towards my own stupidity...

I guess this goes back to the 'Go Longer vs faster' debate... The thing about going the IM distance, is that you have to have a schedule that is condusive to 12-15 hrs of training a week. Unfortunately for me, I do not... I will continue to move forward towards IMFL, but it is another factor in my decision to not do IM 2010. My schedule is condusive to HIM or less without much concern. Since we were on the topic yesterday, I thought I would just add that...

Sorry for the novel! BTW, I wasn't gonna race again until IMFL... but I am kinda itching to squeeze one more in... The problem is, Oct 25! Do I make the trip west and cheer on the peeps or do I stay at home and race?

2009-08-26 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Houston
That's awesome, congrats!

Newtons1st - 2009-08-26 9:20 AM Had a super good swim workout this morning. Jumped into lane 3 and held my own. I liked it because I had to really work at it but it felt good at the end to be toast. I really think I held good form when I was getting tired. I know on the last 2 50 sprints is was a little off but over all felt good.

2009-08-26 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2371402

User image

Master
Houston
Or make the trip west AND race?!?! Honestly though I wouldn't put a race that close to an IM, the last thing you need is to miss a couple days because of it (race day + recovery day+ rest before?).

That stinks about the quad, rest/stretch that thing the best you can and keep that intensity light!

Since you brought up more long/fast debate... I do believe that if you train for a HIM with the goal of speed and a PR, you are capable of completing an IM.   Now for most people that have a goal of a fast HIM, they also want a fast IM but if they're will to just slow it down and pace correctly they can complete the distance.  It may not be pretty and may hurt like hell but they can get it done if they desire. 

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-26 9:31 AM

2009-08-26 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Yeah for Wednesday and extra sleep this morning!

Nice swimming Todd!  You must have had your Wheaties this morning!

Sorry to hear about your quad Justin.  We've all been there and done that.  Hopefully it heals quickly!
2009-08-26 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Bummer about your quad Justin... I hope that it heals quickly!

I agree with Eric that I would not try to squeeze in a race so close to Ironman.  Not worth loosing a few days to recovery, or the potential for something to go wrong in the race that could result in your not being able to do the IM.

Sit tight... besides, what better way to go into Ironman than to be itching to race?

2009-08-27 9:10 AM

User image

Happy Thursday peeps!  Positive ~ (in a whisper) 'quad is feeling better'!  Negative - long & busy day at work today!

I know it's only Thursday, but... Any plans (training or fun) for this weekend?

The 'plan' is to get some QUALITY training time in Saturday & Sunday for me.  Working a second job (another wedding reception) Saturday night.  Stand around and watch 'everyone else' eat, drink and be merry!
2009-08-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2373665

User image

Master
New York, NY
That's great that your quad is starting to feel better!!!  Remember not to push too hard too soon.

I learned something very important last night/this morning....going to bed at 3.30am is not conducive to early morning workouts   But I'm cutting myself some slack since this is my recovery week and I've been enjoying some well deserved celebrating.

Haven't really thought about weekend plans yet, although I'll get in a bike and run at some point.

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-27 10:10 AM Happy Thursday peeps!  Positive ~ (in a whisper) 'quad is feeling better'!  Negative - long & busy day at work today!

The 'plan' is to get some QUALITY training time in Saturday & Sunday for me.  Working a second job (another wedding reception) Saturday night.  Stand around and watch 'everyone else' eat, drink and be merry!
2009-08-27 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2373665

User image

Master
Houston
Great news about the quad, keep it light and get it 100% before hammering out workouts/mileage!

No big plans for the weekend, hang out with friends and relax after workouts of course. I've got a large run (14.5mi) and bike (~70mi) to knock out. You got plans for a Sunday ride? If not, you know where I'll be... come on out and kill some hills!

Only one week out from Austin tri, don't think I'm as ready as I need to be for 2:08 but I'll give it my best shot and it'll be fun regardless

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-27 9:10 AM Happy Thursday peeps!  Positive ~ (in a whisper) 'quad is feeling better'!  Negative - long & busy day at work today!

2009-08-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2373696

User image

Master
Houston
Do I sense a date night with guy #???? Surprised

KelliD - 2009-08-27 9:20 AM That's great that your quad is starting to feel better!!!  Remember not to push too hard too soon.

I learned something very important last night/this morning....going to bed at 3.30am is not conducive to early morning workouts   But I'm cutting myself some slack since this is my recovery week and I've been enjoying some well deserved celebrating.

Haven't really thought about weekend plans yet, although I'll get in a bike and run at some point.

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-27 10:10 AM Happy Thursday peeps!  Positive ~ (in a whisper) 'quad is feeling better'!  Negative - long & busy day at work today!

2009-08-27 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2373718

User image

Master
New York, NY
Oooh...fun training!!!!  I must be mental bc I'm slightly envious of those long workouts

evondo - 2009-08-27 10:27 AM Great news about the quad, keep it light and get it 100% before hammering out workouts/mileage!

No big plans for the weekend, hang out with friends and relax after workouts of course. I've got a large run (14.5mi) and bike (~70mi) to knock out. You got plans for a Sunday ride? If not, you know where I'll be... come on out and kill some hills!

Only one week out from Austin tri, don't think I'm as ready as I need to be for 2:08 but I'll give it my best shot and it'll be fun regardless

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-27 9:10 AM Happy Thursday peeps!  Positive ~ (in a whisper) 'quad is feeling better'!  Negative - long & busy day at work today!

2009-08-27 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2373726

User image

Master
New York, NY
It could be

evondo - 2009-08-27 10:30 AM Do I sense a date night with guy #???? Surprised

KelliD - 2009-08-27 9:20 AM That's great that your quad is starting to feel better!!!  Remember not to push too hard too soon.

2009-08-27 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2373738

User image

Master
Houston
Haha you are definitely one of the few! Who knows maybe your schedule will have those kind of #s for Longhorn

KelliD - 2009-08-27 9:33 AM Oooh...fun training!!!!  I must be mental bc I'm slightly envious of those long workouts

evondo - 2009-08-27 10:27 AM Great news about the quad, keep it light and get it 100% before hammering out workouts/mileage!

2009-08-27 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2373742

User image

Master
Houston
Now do you really think Betsy/Nicole are going to let you leave it at that? LOL

KelliD - 2009-08-27 9:34 AM It could be

[/QUOTE
2009-08-27 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2373696

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Anything to do with DCS?  Wink

2009-08-27 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2373752

User image

Master
New York, NY
Good point.  At the speed I've been going writing my RR (still not done btw), it'll be next year by the time I get to a DR.

evondo - 2009-08-27 10:38 AM Now do you really think Betsy/Nicole are going to let you leave it at that? LOL

[/QUOTE

2009-08-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2373742

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Ha Ha I see great minds think a like. I guess I need to read before I reply.

2009-08-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2373763

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
yeah you know those two wont let you leave it at that, soo umm yeah uhhh you gots some splaning to do.

KelliD - 2009-08-27 9:44 AM Good point.  At the speed I've been going writing my RR (still not done btw), it'll be next year by the time I get to a DR.

evondo - 2009-08-27 10:38 AM Now do you really think Betsy/Nicole are going to let you leave it at that? LOL

[/QUOTE
2009-08-27 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2373777

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
The boys are right ....DISH Kelli!  We are living vicariously through you..remember?

Newtons1st - 2009-08-27 9:47 AM yeah you know those two wont let you leave it at that, soo umm yeah uhhh you gots some splaning to do.

KelliD - 2009-08-27 9:44 AM Good point.  At the speed I've been going writing my RR (still not done btw), it'll be next year by the time I get to a DR.

[/QUOTE
2009-08-27 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2374088

User image

Master
New York, NY
Hmmm....I'm not sure what to say other than it was a really, really, reaalllly good date....the kind where you lose all track of time, and before you know it it's 3am on a school night & the fact that you have to get up in a few hours for work doesn't bother you in the slightest.  He's a lot diferent than anyone I've ever dated, but in a good way.

Betsy0706 - 2009-08-27 12:24 PM The boys are right ....DISH Kelli!  We are living vicariously through you..remember?

Newtons1st - 2009-08-27 9:47 AM yeah you know those two wont let you leave it at that, soo umm yeah uhhh you gots some splaning to do.

[/QUOTE
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137