BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-10-23 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3168663

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
WittyCityGirl - 2010-10-23 1:49 PM Fred, thanks for the pic fit discussion-it is an interesting read!

It's also interesting to read about the comments related to coaching.  I was so excited for triathlon because it was something I was training for without a coach...something I hadn't done in over 10 years of swimming.  It was a relief to rest and not feel like I was letting the big guy down...but also lead to more slacking off. 

To me, it seems like coaching is where you turn to to win. 

What are thoughts on coaching if you just want to finish?

For example, I see Team in Training people training for a marathon with coaches, but two friends of mine blew up on race day because they had no coaching on nutrition....

I think there are 2 kinds of triathletes; ones that's just want to train and race, and ones that want to train, race, study training, race tactics, and nutrition etc.  If you are athe former and just want to finish, I'd get a coach.  However, if you are the latter, I don't think you need one.

I consider myself the latter but I still don't know half what some of the people on these boards know.  Part of the enjoyment for me is making my training calendar and planning my races!

2010-10-23 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
I'm excited that Kathleen is coming down to IMAZ and she's going to be working at my Tri Clubs aid station. We have arguably the best spot on the course and we're at mile 4 of the run. With the way that the loop goes, we see the runners six times on the course. We are right next to the lake so we can see the entire swim and are also pretty close to transition. The run and bike course also go by our station and the finish is only a couple hundred yards away. I'm so excited that Chrissie Wellington is racing this year and I hope to get a picture with her. She's such a class act. In a couple of weeks we will start to build all of the props for our aid station and I'm signed up to stuff race packets on the 13th. The lake is full and everything is looking great for IMAZ 2010. I'm still going to hold off for a year and attempt it on 2012. For now I'm really focusing on my 1/2 marathon program and am still riding and swimming a little but not much volume there. I hope the Red Rock will announce the date for the 1/2 Iron distance race in April that I plan on doing so I can start to figure out my training program for that. I hope that 2011 is a great race year for me.
2010-10-24 2:19 AM
in reply to: #3168883

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
phxphotog - 2010-10-23 7:03 PM I'm excited that Kathleen is coming down to IMAZ and she's going to be working at my Tri Clubs aid station. We have arguably the best spot on the course and we're at mile 4 of the run. With the way that the loop goes, we see the runners six times on the course. We are right next to the lake so we can see the entire swim and are also pretty close to transition. The run and bike course also go by our station and the finish is only a couple hundred yards away. I'm so excited that Chrissie Wellington is racing this year and I hope to get a picture with her. She's such a class act. In a couple of weeks we will start to build all of the props for our aid station and I'm signed up to stuff race packets on the 13th. The lake is full and everything is looking great for IMAZ 2010. I'm still going to hold off for a year and attempt it on 2012. For now I'm really focusing on my 1/2 marathon program and am still riding and swimming a little but not much volume there. I hope the Red Rock will announce the date for the 1/2 Iron distance race in April that I plan on doing so I can start to figure out my training program for that. I hope that 2011 is a great race year for me.

You seem very patient and realistic with your training goals; sounds like a very good plan.
2010-10-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3168743

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

furiousferret - 2010-10-23 6:36 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2010-10-23 1:40 PM
furiousferret - 2010-10-21 5:39 PM I finally signed up for Masters swimming!  Nice heated olympic pool, the problem is its 20 minutes away, but it will be nice having someone help with my form.

Isn't a 20 minute drive a positive not a problem?!!!!  =) That sounds darn close to me!!!

Not when your other pool is 5 minutes away!

There is nothing in CA 5 minutes away!

As far as the bike goes, my advice is to find a reputable fitter and get a fitting done then have him recommend an appropriate bike.  I did that for my tri bike and I have not had an issue on it since.  Typically if you buy from the fitters store, the price of the fitting is aplied to the purchase. 

Although I think if I am successful in executing an off season bike focus I will likely get refit in the spring.  As we become better and stronger on the bike, our tolerance for a more aggresive position may improve.

2010-10-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3168961

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

furiousferret - 2010-10-24 3:19 AM
phxphotog - 2010-10-23 7:03 PM I'm excited that Kathleen is coming down to IMAZ and she's going to be working at my Tri Clubs aid station. We have arguably the best spot on the course and we're at mile 4 of the run. With the way that the loop goes, we see the runners six times on the course. We are right next to the lake so we can see the entire swim and are also pretty close to transition. The run and bike course also go by our station and the finish is only a couple hundred yards away. I'm so excited that Chrissie Wellington is racing this year and I hope to get a picture with her. She's such a class act. In a couple of weeks we will start to build all of the props for our aid station and I'm signed up to stuff race packets on the 13th. The lake is full and everything is looking great for IMAZ 2010. I'm still going to hold off for a year and attempt it on 2012. For now I'm really focusing on my 1/2 marathon program and am still riding and swimming a little but not much volume there. I hope the Red Rock will announce the date for the 1/2 Iron distance race in April that I plan on doing so I can start to figure out my training program for that. I hope that 2011 is a great race year for me.

You seem very patient and realistic with your training goals; sounds like a very good plan.

I agree!

2010-10-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3168485

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
PennState - 2010-10-23 12:38 PM

As far as the helmet goes, some of it may even be the way it was resting on my head with the front end being too low which raises the tail end.

I agree you could just shove it back some.  I think ideally, a style that fits your position means you can have it pretty far forward but the tail still nestles down between your shoulder blades.  I know that the most important part is the trailing edge and how it interacts with your back... so I have found myself tipping mine backwards (sliding it back on my forehead) to correct for a less than perfect fit.

Mine hits right where my HR strap is.  I've considered trying to glue a strong magnet inside the very tip of the tail and to my HR strap so that I could tip my head back and have it grab my helmet... and then it would stay there despite minor movement of my head... but could still break loose without any trouble when I sit up or make a significant head movement.

Of course, mine matches my bike and my race kit so it is faster than yours to begin with

2010-10-25 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
2010-10-25 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Thanks for sharing Kathy!
2010-10-27 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
*tap, tap, tap* Is this thing on?

Where is everyone?

I went to yoga/pilates on Monday.  Had "issues" that night/Tuesday morning.  Went to the dr and he told me it was some freakish bladder infection that females get when they engaged in "strenuos" physical activity and then proceed to hydrate a lot.  Why the heck didn't that happen when I was IRONMAN training and not taking a pansy-azzed class at the Y?!

Oy vey.

I hope everyone's training is going well.  My body just seems to reject anything I do, but maybe that just means I'll be so super rested for next year. =)

Ken... what's your countdown, man????  I know someone up here in Binghamton getting reading to go to Flor-eee-da!
2010-10-27 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3176438

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

Ken how much longer?

I am still waiting to hear if I got in IMWI again next year.  I have been totally slacking on training lately.  Getting caught back up with the family and overcoming some training burnout from IMOO.  I have felt a potential shin splint/lower leg tweak so I have been resting that as well. 

2010-10-28 7:46 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

The countdown is at 9 days!! Starting to get a little short timers at work!  We fly to PCB next Tuesday night on the overnight and check into the condo on Wednesday!!

Training is back on track after missing a few days last week with some bladder/kidney/urinary track issues, but all is well now. 

Wondering what you guys think of WTC/Ironmans announcement yesterday?  Definately has brought on some strong opinions on this site and facebook.  Probably ST too, but I haven't looked there.  Personally I think the market will determine if it is a good idea or not. 

2010-10-28 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3176438

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-10-28 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3178030

Edited by PennState 2010-10-28 7:27 PM
2010-10-28 7:42 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I read some of the threads here and I have to agree with you Fred.  The sense of entitlement to doing a cheap Ironman seemed a bit misplaced considering there are options to WTC events, not to mention as you said, there are still slots available through traditional means.  Not to mention if I was a shareholder of the investment group that owns WTC I would be pushing them to make a profit  as they are attempting to do.  The interesting part about the social networking aspect is that this "could" be a case of the vocal minority dictating events over the silent majority.  The majority of the posts I read felt the company had a right to do it and some even indicated that they would consider joining under some circumstances. 

I am also amazed that the main thread, there were several others, was up over 12 pages with some pretty heated debate and to the best of my knowledge nothing was pulled. 

Either way it is not an issue to me one way or another as I would have no need for joining it now or the forseeable future.  IF I do a 140.6 race next year it will be REV3 in Ohio, but the jury is still out on that decision.  I was just curious about the thoughts here since our group is primarily made up of folks that have or will be doing WTC events.

2010-10-28 11:54 PM

Expert
So I did my first spin class yesterday morning and now I can't move my legs. Walking upstairs isn't bad but I can barely walk down them. They should call them "standing" classes not "spin" classes because you spend more time standing than spinning. I'm guessing tomorrow will be worse. No running today.
2010-10-29 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3181585

Pro
Canandaigua NY

phxphotog - 2010-10-29 12:54 AM So I did my first spin class yesterday morning and now I can't move my legs. Walking upstairs isn't bad but I can barely walk down them. They should call them "standing" classes not "spin" classes because you spend more time standing than spinning. I'm guessing tomorrow will be worse. No running today.

While I can't see spin classes replacing cycling in the off season for me, I can certainly see in the couple of classes I have taken how they can offer a good workout to help build cycling intensity, which I sorely lack.  I do try and do some of the up and downs, but some instructors in my opinion can get carried away with it.  I'll probably do a class or 2 a week during the winter.

Surprised that it is bothering your legs though as you had a pretty good base of cycling and running! You must have really got into it!! Good job!

2010-10-29 7:47 AM

Master
Millersville, MD

I started a thread that I was considering IM Access membership -- you want to see your PM box light up, just do that!

I agree with everything you said Fred, and also agree that satirical post on ST about the impending release of IM's new program IM Access Access to get you early entry into the IM Access program was the funniest one-liner I've read in a while.

Any negative feelings I have towards WTC are more from amazement at what they can get people to do.  Charge us money to put on a great event... I'm all for that and will pay as long as I think what they offer is worth it.  What I can't believe (and again I'm more in disbelief than upset) is how many people they can get to volunteer all day long to put on an event where they are just raking in the cash.

I also agree with what you said - where is the facebook campaign demanding that IM reduce the field size back to under 2,000 for safety reasons, or switch to a 3 wave start, or something... or else I'll never give another dime to the M-dot brand????

People got really high and mighty about capitalism doing what capitalism does (driving up the price because the supply/demand curve has not yet intersected), and ironically capitalism was the only thing that got the position changed (IM was scared because they pi$$ed off their consumers).  It simply proves we do have enough of a collective voice to be heard on more important issues (for me those would be safety, rules enforcement, KQ age group PED testing, pro prize money, and maybe [though I haven't sorted it out] KQ slots distribution and lottery practices).

But the fact is IM has no incentive to make changes to any of that as long as the status quo has people standing in line for 7 hours the morning after lake placid.  And I don't blame them for experimenting with changes that would make that line 8 hours long.  And here's a confession... I love what WTC offers.  I didn't even give a second thought to a non-m-dot 140.6 this year.  So I'm not complaining.

2010-10-29 9:38 AM

Master
Redlands, CA
I couldn't agree with your points more Fred.

Ken,  This is probably the case of a vocal few and most do not care about the changes; I for one did not care either and many here and on ST were riled up and did it because 'everyone else was doing it so I should scream too'.

Josh,  I too was considering it if I do IMWales in 2012; there's no way I'd go to the UK to volunteer solely to secure a spot.  I also think its somewhat odd that a profit driven company profits on the backs of thousands of volunteers,  it just seems odd and somewhat unethical, but in there defense WTC isn't the only one that does this.

2010-10-29 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3181585

Master
Redlands, CA
phxphotog - 2010-10-28 9:54 PM So I did my first spin class yesterday morning and now I can't move my legs. Walking upstairs isn't bad but I can barely walk down them. They should call them "standing" classes not "spin" classes because you spend more time standing than spinning. I'm guessing tomorrow will be worse. No running today.

Spin classes are tough,  alot of people here dismiss them but if you give an honest effort and push the resistance they can be a useful tool.  I've had issues spinning as well,  its alot of pressure on your calves.

2010-10-29 9:59 AM

Master
Dunedin

Funny, I read the email about the VIP Access stuff and just hit 'delete' with no feelings besides "damn, IF I had the money and WANTED to train for more than one IM/year then this program would be GREAT!".

It makes sense to let people pay more for perks IMO.

I still don't know what my opinion for a solution to the mass start would be.  I was seriously scared at IMLP, would that change if I was only swimming with 1,000 people instead of 3,000 people if they did a 3 wave start? Je ne sais pas.

2010-10-29 10:18 AM

2010-10-29 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3182344

2010-10-30 9:54 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Looks like Pete is doing the Marine Corp Marathon tomorrow!  Good luck and have fun!!

(I dont know if he still checks in here, but maybe he does!)

2010-10-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3186232

Master
Redlands, CA
kenj - 2010-10-30 7:54 AM

Looks like Pete is doing the Marine Corp Marathon tomorrow!  Good luck and have fun!!

x2.

Ken, is that a Corvette?  How to you transport your bike in that!
2010-10-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3186396

Pro
Canandaigua NY

furiousferret - 2010-10-30 12:01 PM
kenj - 2010-10-30 7:54 AM

x2.

Ken, is that a Corvette?  How to you transport your bike in that!

Yes it is, and those 2 worlds (bike and vette) seldom collide, which is why I have more miles on the bike this year than the car!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121