BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-05-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4739491

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

bswcpa - 2013-05-13 9:34 AM YES, Jen, I believe what you're going through is normal. I know it's happened to me so there's at least two of us. I'm not sure what causes it, other than it's our bodies way of saying you need some recovery time. Putting another race on the calendar has worked to re-motivate me so maybe try looking for something fun/challenging that'll fit in your schedule.

Thanks Brenda! I did manage to get out and do a group bike ride last week and I think my schedule has been pretty busy getting around those "to-do's" I have putting off. I normally love, love, love to run..... but since the tri on the 4th, I have almost dreaded running and I have no idea why.

Tony- I think you hit on a point that I have forgotten to realize... "downtime." I think my body has needed a little downtime.  

2013-05-13 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Whew!  We are finally home!  I'm exhausted!  I need a stay-cation to recover from my va-cation!

I'll do a short run later today to get the blood moving.

Back to training!

Happy Mother's Day (a little late) to all the Junkie Mommies!

2013-05-13 10:02 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Jen....I LOVE your new profile picture!
2013-05-13 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Jen one thing I think we all tend to overlook is rest and recovery. We all need it. My good friend Bobby has drilled this one point home to me with training for the IM. We need to view rest and recovery as part of our training. It's been a very hard point for me to grasp but it has become much easier since embarking on the IM training and realizing that I will never get through it if I don't give myself adequate breaks from it.

So I agree with everyone else having a race on the schedule to keep you motivated helps but it is definitely natural to feel a little unmotivated after a big race. It is also very important to take advantage of that and let your body take a break too when you need it. Unless you are Jeff who seems to be able to train through everything and never gets tired view rest and recovery as part of your training.

2013-05-13 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Tracy welcome back we missed you. Glad to hear you had a great vacation and I'm sure you'll be glad to get back to training, enjoy your run today.
2013-05-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4739340

User image

Bronze member
jenbmosley - 2013-05-13 7:21 AM

I've learned something over the past few weeks.... when you have a good race, or a decent race, it is a bit hard to get motivated afterward. Maybe it is because I don't have any additional races on the calendar at the moment....

For those who have done long races, and for those who haven't..... How do you motivate yourself after races (especially when there are no races on the calendar for a few months)? I've heard of IM/HIM post-race blues. Has anyone ever experienced post-race blues? 

Love the new pic!

You mean get motivated to train hard or motivated to stay active?

After my HIM a couple of years ago I was relieved to be able to do whatever I wanted again just for the fun of it. Swim or bike or run just because I enjoy being active. But that is the thing for me, knowing that no matter what - if I have a headache or am sad or tired or hurt and can't race or the kids are driving me crazy - I will feel better if I just move.

I was doing all of this s/b/r for years and years with no Garmin, trainer road or HR monitor and never even thought about racing. It was simple and not complicated. To me, racing, or training to race can get complicated and fussy.  So when I'm feeling unmotivated that is what I go back to - the good old days I call it LOL. Leave the Garmin at home, chase a butterfly on my bike, pretend I'm the Little Mermaid during my swim (yes I really do that ). I will continue to be active long after I stop racing. So that would be my advice, find the love in the activity, whatever it may be. Then before you know it that little spark comes back and when the next race comes around you have  not missed a beat. Your long term fitness base will be there and you can pick up where you left off.

2013-05-13 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Question for Dirk.

For Tri Indy, do you think there is a way that you and I can start together?  Is it a wave start, or time-trial?

The registration form doesn't have you predict a swim time, which is usually what you see when it's a time trial start.  Instead it asks:

1. What level swimmer are you?     

I assume that we should put the same answer here to try to be starting near each other.  If it's a wave start, will we be sure to be in the same wave if we answer this question the same?

2013-05-13 12:37 PM

User image

Dina - great advice for Jen! I love your take on it and totally agree with finding the joy in just being active.

All this talk of Tri-Indy with Dirk, Jeff, Matt..... any of you women Junkies going to be there?

2013-05-13 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4739877

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
trigal38 - 2013-05-13 12:19 PM
jenbmosley - 2013-05-13 7:21 AM

I've learned something over the past few weeks.... when you have a good race, or a decent race, it is a bit hard to get motivated afterward. Maybe it is because I don't have any additional races on the calendar at the moment....

For those who have done long races, and for those who haven't..... How do you motivate yourself after races (especially when there are no races on the calendar for a few months)? I've heard of IM/HIM post-race blues. Has anyone ever experienced post-race blues? 

Love the new pic!

You mean get motivated to train hard or motivated to stay active?

After my HIM a couple of years ago I was relieved to be able to do whatever I wanted again just for the fun of it. Swim or bike or run just because I enjoy being active. But that is the thing for me, knowing that no matter what - if I have a headache or am sad or tired or hurt and can't race or the kids are driving me crazy - I will feel better if I just move.

I was doing all of this s/b/r for years and years with no Garmin, trainer road or HR monitor and never even thought about racing. It was simple and not complicated. To me, racing, or training to race can get complicated and fussy.  So when I'm feeling unmotivated that is what I go back to - the good old days I call it LOL. Leave the Garmin at home, chase a butterfly on my bike, pretend I'm the Little Mermaid during my swim (yes I really do that ). I will continue to be active long after I stop racing. So that would be my advice, find the love in the activity, whatever it may be. Then before you know it that little spark comes back and when the next race comes around you have  not missed a beat. Your long term fitness base will be there and you can pick up where you left off.

Dina- Thanks. You have put it so elegantly. I've always loved to run and will always run.... I might not always do that darn swim thing though.

2013-05-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4740058

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

bswcpa - 2013-05-13 1:37 PM Dina - great advice for Jen! I love your take on it and totally agree with finding the joy in just being active. All this talk of Tri-Indy with Dirk, Jeff, Matt..... any of you women Junkies going to be there?

Me and my family were hoping to make a vacation of it, but it looks like it won't fit into our budget or vacation time accrued for me and the hubby. My husband is using up a few vaction days in June as he undergoes the "procedure" (vasectomy). He decided to go forward with the procedure earlier this year, but has already cancelled the first appointment to have it done.

2013-05-13 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4739697

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

RunningYogini - 2013-05-13 11:02 AM Jen....I LOVE your new profile picture!

"LIKE." Thank you! Picture for our tri club team pics.

2013-05-13 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4740111

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jenbmosley - 2013-05-13 12:58 PM

bswcpa - 2013-05-13 1:37 PM Dina - great advice for Jen! I love your take on it and totally agree with finding the joy in just being active. All this talk of Tri-Indy with Dirk, Jeff, Matt..... any of you women Junkies going to be there?

Me and my family were hoping to make a vacation of it, but it looks like it won't fit into our budget or vacation time accrued for me and the hubby. My husband is using up a few vaction days in June as he undergoes the "procedure" (vasectomy). He decided to go forward with the procedure earlier this year, but has already cancelled the first appointment to have it done.

Sorry you guys won't make it.  It would have been GREAT to meet not only you but the rest of your brood.

Brenda...Is there a chance you can be there?

2013-05-13 2:38 PM

User image

Yes, JEFF, there's a chance I may be there if I can find some female representation. It's only a 3 hour drive for me so I just need to check on my kid's sports schedules. I believe Dina has something already that weekend and I think it's just too far for Tracy and Jackie. Maybe JoAnne?? Do you remember Allison from one of the old Junkie groups? I think I remember reading on Facebook where she may do it, so I'll ask her tomorrow. I know it's random and I haven't seen her since a tri last June, but we're getting together for lunch. I love how the Junkies group has brought friends into my life. If Dirk's beautiful Lisa is going to be there, then even if I don't race, I'd like to come and watch the epic head to head competition between you and Dirk. I haven't picked who I'll put my money on yet, though.

Edited by bswcpa 2013-05-13 2:40 PM
2013-05-13 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4740311

User image

Bronze member

bswcpa - 2013-05-13 2:38 PM Yes, JEFF, there's a chance I may be there if I can find some female representation. It's only a 3 hour drive for me so I just need to check on my kid's sports schedules. I believe Dina has something already that weekend and I think it's just too far for Tracy and Jackie. Maybe JoAnne?? Do you remember Allison from one of the old Junkie groups? I think I remember reading on Facebook where she may do it, so I'll ask her tomorrow. I know it's random and I haven't seen her since a tri last June, but we're getting together for lunch. I love how the Junkies group has brought friends into my life. If Dirk's beautiful Lisa is going to be there, then even if I don't race, I'd like to come and watch the epic head to head competition between you and Dirk. I haven't picked who I'll put my money on yet, though.

I have never had an official email or invite from anyone about the family reunion. Does anyone know if this race usually fills up or do they take last minute registration?

2013-05-13 3:51 PM

User image

Whoops - my bad, Dina. I'm sorry but I thought I'd remembered reading you'll be with family that weekend. Don't know where my old mind came up with that info so please forgive me. I don't know about it selling out. And even if I did know if it does or doesn't, I don't trust that I'd know it correctly.
2013-05-13 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4740412

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trigal38 - 2013-05-13 3:16 PM

bswcpa - 2013-05-13 2:38 PM Yes, JEFF, there's a chance I may be there if I can find some female representation. It's only a 3 hour drive for me so I just need to check on my kid's sports schedules. I believe Dina has something already that weekend and I think it's just too far for Tracy and Jackie. Maybe JoAnne?? Do you remember Allison from one of the old Junkie groups? I think I remember reading on Facebook where she may do it, so I'll ask her tomorrow. I know it's random and I haven't seen her since a tri last June, but we're getting together for lunch. I love how the Junkies group has brought friends into my life. If Dirk's beautiful Lisa is going to be there, then even if I don't race, I'd like to come and watch the epic head to head competition between you and Dirk. I haven't picked who I'll put my money on yet, though.

I have never had an official email or invite from anyone about the family reunion. Does anyone know if this race usually fills up or do they take last minute registration?

Dina, I want to officially invite you to the 2013 junkies family reunion race in Indianapolis this August.  Please join us!

As for the fill-up question, I don't know.  Dirk will probably tell us if he gets a chance to log in tonight.

2013-05-13 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4740496

User image

Bronze member

bswcpa - 2013-05-13 3:51 PM Whoops - my bad, Dina. I'm sorry but I thought I'd remembered reading you'll be with family that weekend. Don't know where my old mind came up with that info so please forgive me. I don't know about it selling out. And even if I did know if it does or doesn't, I don't trust that I'd know it correctly.

You remembered correctly! My Mother told me back in December that her brothers/sisters talked about a family reunion that weekend and Mom was giving us a heads up to save the date but now no one has stepped up to make it official if that makes sense. Mom said someone would be sending out an email with time, place etc but so far I have not heard anything. So, I'm not sure. I don't want to ask too many questions or you know where I'll be - planning the whole thing!

2013-05-13 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4740518

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trigal38 - 2013-05-13 4:05 PM

bswcpa - 2013-05-13 3:51 PM Whoops - my bad, Dina. I'm sorry but I thought I'd remembered reading you'll be with family that weekend. Don't know where my old mind came up with that info so please forgive me. I don't know about it selling out. And even if I did know if it does or doesn't, I don't trust that I'd know it correctly.

You remembered correctly! My Mother told me back in December that her brothers/sisters talked about a family reunion that weekend and Mom was giving us a heads up to save the date but now no one has stepped up to make it official if that makes sense. Mom said someone would be sending out an email with time, place etc but so far I have not heard anything. So, I'm not sure. I don't want to ask too many questions or you know where I'll be - planning the whole thing!

You can tell your family that you have another family reunion that weekend so they need to pick another date! 

I just acquainted myself with the course map.  This is a FAST course!  Well, the bike course does have a lot of turns through the city, and one turn that's tighter than 90 degrees.  But if someone knows how to rail the turns well, it shouldn't slow too much.

Maybe Dirk can tell us what the road surface quality is.

The run course is flat too, so will be fast.

And talk about spectator friendly!!!

Not only is the swim in a 40 foot wide canal with a couple of bridges over it, but the bike route and run route are both 2 laps for the Olympic distance race.

2013-05-13 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4740551

User image

NH
JeffY - 2013-05-13 5:16 PM
trigal38 - 2013-05-13 4:05 PM

You can tell your family that you have another family reunion that weekend so they need to pick another date! 

I just acquainted myself with the course map.  This is a FAST course!  Well, the bike course does have a lot of turns through the city, and one turn that's tighter than 90 degrees.  But if someone knows how to rail the turns well, it shouldn't slow too much.

Maybe Dirk can tell us what the road surface quality is.

The run course is flat too, so will be fast.

And talk about spectator friendly!!!

Not only is the swim in a 40 foot wide canal with a couple of bridges over it, but the bike route and run route are both 2 laps for the Olympic distance race.

I was giving Dirk a hard time about how flat the courses are out there, so keep egging him on.  I told him most of our races have individual hills larger than the total climb on the equivalent course in the flat lands!

I'm still debating using up all my chits to head out there for this race.  It really doesn't make any sense on so many levels, and I highly doubt I'll pull it off, bit it's in the back of my head still.  My full family can't come so the spectator part would be lost on me.

2013-05-13 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4739958

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2013-05-13 12:53 PM

Question for Dirk.

For Tri Indy, do you think there is a way that you and I can start together?  Is it a wave start, or time-trial?

The registration form doesn't have you predict a swim time, which is usually what you see when it's a time trial start.  Instead it asks:

I assume that we should put the same answer here to try to be starting near each other.  If it's a wave start, will we be sure to be in the same wave if we answer this question the same?

This race is a TT start.  The way this race is set up we could start back to back...........You go first!! I want to draft!  They start the race by seeding people by their bib numbers but they only ask that you line up by the hundreds.  Meaning, if your bib number is 134 than you would go sooner than 245 but 295 could go ahead of you.  Even then they don't pay a lot of attention to where you jump into line.

We can definitely start together.  Although that will make me nervous because I don't want to get used to looking at your backside.

I use "above average" for my estimations and I will use the same for Indy again this year.

2013-05-13 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

My race recap a week later...

Tri & Recover... & Recover Some More - http://wp.me/p32uES-83

2013-05-13 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4740311

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

bswcpa - 2013-05-13 3:38 PM Yes, JEFF, there's a chance I may be there if I can find some female representation. It's only a 3 hour drive for me so I just need to check on my kid's sports schedules. I believe Dina has something already that weekend and I think it's just too far for Tracy and Jackie. Maybe JoAnne?? Do you remember Allison from one of the old Junkie groups? I think I remember reading on Facebook where she may do it, so I'll ask her tomorrow. I know it's random and I haven't seen her since a tri last June, but we're getting together for lunch. I love how the Junkies group has brought friends into my life. If Dirk's beautiful Lisa is going to be there, then even if I don't race, I'd like to come and watch the epic head to head competition between you and Dirk. I haven't picked who I'll put my money on yet, though.

3 HOUR DRIVE????  How slow do you drive?  I think I could run there from Winona Lake in 3 hours! Tongue out

Tri-Indy is Lisa's race Brenda.  This race is on her race list every year since the first time I did it.  She absolutely loves the venue!!!  As long as I'm doing triathlon I will probably be doing this race.  I know it would pretty awesome to get a ton of us together for this race.  So............

Dina, if you don't get that family reunion thing going it would be great to see you there.  Last year I know they were doing registrations the day before and they may have been taking race day registrations as well, but I am not certain if that.

Joanne, if you could swing it you know it would be great to have you there too.  Bing maps says it's just over 4 hours from your town to downtown Indy.

And Brenda, Allison is definitely invited!!  I actually sent her an inspire a couple of months ago and told she should go down and so that one with us.  Make sure she knows that we all would love to see her there.

2013-05-13 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4740230

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2013-05-13 2:49 PM
jenbmosley - 2013-05-13 12:58 PM

Sorry you guys won't make it.  It would have been GREAT to meet not only you but the rest of your brood.

With all of the Junkies that sound like could make the trip, it's too bad you won't be able to be there!

2013-05-13 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4739958

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Question for Dirk.

thought I would fix the options to show my category,

>         

but I did finally make a commitment to being a triathlete, nice sunny day and I passed on running to go swimming! It was difficult though passing up on the park to go to the YMCA.

Slow 1500yd swim, 32:08

1x200

10x50

5x100

1x200

1x50

not bad for a month away from the pool, I WILL BECOME A SWIMMER! (Maybe)
2013-05-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4740835

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
mambos - 2013-05-13 8:51 PM

Question for Dirk.

thought I would fix the options to show my category, >         

but I did finally make a commitment to being a triathlete, nice sunny day and I passed on running to go swimming! It was difficult though passing up on the park to go to the YMCA.

Slow 1500yd swim, 32:08 1x20010x505x1001x2001x50 not bad for a month away from the pool, I WILL BECOME A SWIMMER! (Maybe)

Boat anchor.... hahahahhahaha... I love it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119