BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-03-08 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1884714

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Subject: RE: Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL
I had my triathlon practise today. I think my coach was trying to push us a little bit too hard during the cycle. I kept on thinking I just want to breath. He kept on going back and forth between double time and steep hills. It was pretty brutal.

This afternoon I spent 4 hours at the mall to find a dress for a wedding at the end of the month. This dress had to be below my knee as it is for a religious wedding. And I didn't want to spend a fortune. I didn't think it would be too difficult a task but to find a long dress that doesn't need altering cause its too long is very hard. I finally found a great dress that goes a bit below the knee and once this wedding is over I may get it shortened to reflect the age more (as the sales person said).

Now it is 10:30 at night. I was going non stop all say and I am ready to crash now. It has been a long day. Good night.

anybody have any exciting plans this week?

2009-03-08 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Mel- Great job on finding a dress that you can alter post-wedding and look great in!

And wow---way to go in the tri club practice today!

No big plans this week....just try to stick to the plan and not let the weather take a toll on the sinuses.  (ie. No 3 hour bike ride this weekend. oh well).

2009-03-09 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love

Mel--awesome time and congrats!!!

Lynn--have fun on vacation next week--I'll be thinking of that while it goes back down to 30F here in PA ... have a pina colada for me! and congrats on the new jobWink!!

2009-03-09 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Yoga was killer tonight! I don't think I will feel my arms the next few days.  I also need to drag my bike back out....need to get back on the saddle and test it out with the lowered nose. 

Tommorow is my swim/run day.  But I have not swim in 3 weeks....and although it is suppose to be 61degrees(yeah right), it is coming with monsoon rains.  So, if it is not raining when I wake, maybe I do the run in the am and swim post work?

Right now I am so exhausted and my sinuses are a convienent excuse not to wake up in the a.m.

I need a race.  A race soon to scare me into sticking to the training plan.

2009-03-09 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Lynn I hear you at the exhausted part. I almost fell asleep at work today and last night I got the most sleep in one night for the past week. Gotta force myself to get to bed on time this week. Which means I need to get off the computer soon and go to bed.

I ended up skipping my run today becuase as soon as I got on the treadmill my legs started hurting. Usually that goes away but I didn't even try today as I though t that might be someone telling let the body heal. Normally I don't have pain right off the bat so I took it as a sign.

2009-03-10 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
MEL! Great race - that is so fantastic!

LYNN - VACATION!!!! That's so awesome - enjoy yourself!

I've been a bit AWOL. I'm incredibly stressed out - things are very unsettled at work, trying to launch my business, studying nutrtion, training, blah blah blah.

2009-03-10 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Tami- Don't despair...you will make it through it.  Training may fall off, but you'll be back before you know it. Remember, breaks are good for body and mind.  We'll be ok on the board...right everyone!
2009-03-11 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran

Speaking of breaks--i'm taking a day off--march 18th (for st. patty's day).  first one in about two months now... I'll be up at the bar, singing, drinking brews, and sleeping in the next day...ahh. can't wait

2009-03-11 12:20 PM

User image

New York, NY
I'm looking into getting a new watch/HRM and wondering what everyone is using. There are so many options that I feel completely lost... What watch/HRM do you use, what features does it have (that you use) and why do you like it?
2009-03-12 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Mine is very basic....Polar RS100
2009-03-13 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

Hey all! No specific days off planned for St. Pats, but with that and the basketball tournament I will be trying very hard to get in workouts in the morning and too not consume too many frothy beverages. After the weekend, my workouts taper a little because it is the 4th week of my training program, so thats good timing!

I just got the Polar RS100. I've only used it a couple times but seems to work well. I was just looking for something that I could set the HR zones, get the calorie count, and get summary data like average HR and amount of time spent in each zone. I will recommend www.heartratemonitorsusa.com. Several of the products come with free overnight shipping. I ordered on Monday and got it Wednesday.  I would not recommend www.outdoorgb.com. It took them a week to tell me the item was on backorder and wouldn't even be in for 7-10 days plus shipping time.

Everyone have a great weekend! I hope the weather is supposed to be nice!

2009-03-14 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I had a very productive day today. Got up early and went for a run outside 7km. I had actually driven to the gym, ran outside and then went in for a shower afterwards.

After the run I met up with 3 other friends where we went out for breakfast /lunch and then went to the bike show in Toronto. It is about a 2 hour drive to get there. I was the lucky chosen one to drive. I saw a friend that I train with there and she got a road bike for 700 normally 1200. My goal was to get aerobars. Well I first bought a cycle top for 20, then I bought tri shorts for 30, then I bought no tie up shoelaces for 10. I only had so much cash on me and I still had to buy my aerobars. I wanted to look at all the booths first since different people were selling them for different prices but they all seemed to have the same model with them. By the time I made the decision to buy the aerobars I only had 95 left on me. The aerobars I was eyeing in a store near me cost 140-145. The cheapest I saw at the bike show was 100. So I went up to the person saying all I got is 95 will you give it to me for that price. She said sure. Sweat deal. Now that I am home and I have been reading the reviews on them. Some say they can be noisy but we will see how it goes. This is what I got:

http://www.profile-design.com/products/aerobars/airstryke-s/

Plus I got a free water bottle.

Now I am exhausted and I am going to bed as I have practise in the morning and i have to go back to toronto tomorrow for a bridal shower.

Good night.
2009-03-16 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Mel! Great story about the aerobars - made me laugh.

I have had a very busy weekend....my store went live....

http://www.steadystatesports.com

Check it out! Please give feedback....good or bad!

Thanks!

Tami
2009-03-17 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran

Mel--I like the aerobars--hae a friend who has the same type (the curved top) and she loves them.  I've not tried them, but they look really comfy...good deal you got on them too (5 buck is a few gell packs right??) Smile

Tami--I like the layout of your site. Question though--will all the 'articles' be based around gear reviews or were you thinking of expanding them to include tips/training etc?  Just curious.  I'm big on reading up on training!  nice work!

Well, I saw the chirpractor yesterday to go over x-rays I had taken of my neck (after last week's injury, i went to him to hopeully get cracked and back on the training program quickly)....and didn't get such good news.  He told me my neck has the potential to become degenerative because of the position of the vertebrae he saw (they were crooked, and forward compared to a regular x-ray).  Told me I'd need to be in there 3 times a week in order to help prevent that from happening.  I told him I can make it once a week, and we'll just have to go from there.... hooray for monday.

Edited by hannawho 2009-03-17 7:19 AM
2009-03-17 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I heard some very sad news the other day. A friend of mine that I train with and is part of a different group said that her mentor said that our groups finish at end of the month. Is that true? My triathlon season hasn't even started and we finally all know each other well.
2009-03-17 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
hhhmmm - I'm not sure about the end date. But hey, I don't see why we can't keep going on our own..... or at least keep checking each others workouts and cheering each other on.

Regarding the website....product reviews, uses and training tips and tricks. We will feed fresh content as often as possible. Thanks for checking it out!!!!!

2009-03-17 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
All right since Tami posted teh URL to her website, I thought I would post the URL to the website I created for my triathlon group. There is still pages that still need to be created but I have been getting a lot of positive feedback on it. So here it is:

www.tryforce.ca

2009-03-19 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
where is everyone? it is so quiet.

I am finally on the mend after being sick with a cold and going to attempt to workout today after work. Not sure on how long I will last.
2009-03-22 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Hey Mel- Sorry to hear you are sick. 

I was pretty much a nerd last week...dive in the morning, sit on beach in afternoon, dinner, and early to bed. Ave 9 hours of sleep.  Ok- why is that nerd--because I read books/magazines on finance, negotiations, and triathlon! Hah!

I also decided last week that I really need to focus more on my core strength.  And strength overall.  I must spend the money to have a personal trainer or some sort of scheduled class 1 more time a week. (I already have pilattes/yoga on Monday nights). 

Found a Wed evening pilates class right next store to my house....so I think I will be doing that soon!  (Back is way too sore from new tri bike and pilates tonight).

Edited by LB22 2009-03-23 9:10 PM
2009-03-24 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Lynn - did you solve your bike seat issue?
2009-03-24 6:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
I dropped the nose of the seat a few degrees and it seemed to work. I am, however, sliding off a bit. So I will adjust it up a bit.  But I am so glad that I can stick to my same old seat!

2009-03-24 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

So I pumped after my swim lesson tonight. Partly because I am taking a beginners class with lots of newbies and partly because I found out one of the coaches is the new owner who bought out my old multi-sport store!  plus,,,,I love her new logo!!!  www.moxappeal.com

I am suppose to get up and run 55 minutes tomorrow so I can do pilates tomorrow night.  But I know I will use my sinus excuse once again and sleep till 7.  I just need to get my butt out of bed and do it.  I will probably convince myself to run for 30 minutes before the pilates class tomorrow night....worst yet, I will say that I can start pilates next week and just run. 

Finally, I feel a sore throat coming on. But I will fight it...dinner on Friday. 

Anyone else struggling with the weather?

2009-03-24 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I haven't posted in awhile so here it goes.

On the weekend I borught my bike for a tune up. You know that means that warmer weather is on teh way. The bike shop is also installing the aero bars. I am still nervous about those but I know in the end it'll benefit me.

After my swim practise on Sunday I decided to skip the cycle and run withmy running group instead. I thought I would do an hour as that is what my body can handle normally - without a swim beforehand). Well we were trail running and after an hour I was at the complete opposite end of the park. So much for just an hour. I ened up going 1h45 minutes with walking the hills - up and down and they were steep as they are not roads. The mud and gravel didn't make things any easier.

My body didn't feel the tiredness until after I got home. And I was completely drained. I took an easy day yesterday of yoga and upper body weights. Today I cycled but going into the class I was still unsure as my legs were still weak from Sunday but I managed to get through it.

Although the weather is warming up slowly here, It might rain tomorrow. I was really looking forward to my group run tomorrow too. If the weather is bad, I'll just go for an 90 minute cycle class with a swim.

I am happy to say that I am finally over my cold. No more excuses not to train.
2009-03-25 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran

You reminded me I need to get my bike in for a tune up before the slam of bikers in spring! Have to try and get that in this weekend.

Last night I had the feeling i was getting sick, and sure enough, this morning's session was lousy! sore throat, stuffy head, no appetite--and i barely made my 4 mile run.  I swear if we all make it past march and april, we'll be good for the training!!!  hang tough ladies!

Tami--saw your 1000yrd time trial--awesome job!! When I was in college, i swam competitively, and that was one of my events (1650yrds--such a long and lonely race!!).  So way to stay mentally tough and put in a good swim!

2009-03-25 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Wow...you all make me feel like a wimp!  Trail running so much harder than road running....and you doubled your distance. Awesome Mel!

Swimming ladies, you are motivating me.  I have to admit, I did "play" a bit in the pool last night when the instructor was describing next drill, I was floating sideways, etc. Probably a bit distracting, but who cares.it was fun and motivational!

Have a great day ladies!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14