BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-03-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2033998

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED

rpittser - 2009-03-23 8:59 AM Sounds cool Brian, I wish I had known about it.  I tried to go into Cool Breeze Cyclery in Mooresville last Wed night, but got there after they closed.  

You should stop in some day to check out their stuff if you need anything tri specific.  I am glad I was able to try on some stuff because I would have been buying the wrong size online.  I guess a medium shirt in tri-world is different from real-world.  I wear a medium in most everything...I tried on a zoot tri shirt in a medium and I could barely breath! 

The only reason I knew about the sale/party was when we were in Run For Your Life we picked up an Endurance Magazine and saw an ad so I told my wife we should go to see if they had the shoe she wanted on sale (and they did, last years Mizuno Wave Rider for $50).  Glad we did cause we saved a ton of money her shoes! 

Congrads on your 4 miler this weekend.  I ran this race last year and enjoyed it (but it was about 15 degrees warmer last year :-).  I am doing the Elizabeth 8k this saturday so I skipped this race this year.

Edited by bgraboski 2009-03-23 8:38 AM

2009-03-24 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1879927

User image

Austin, Tx

rpittster...

Dang! 4 miles in 29 minutes!?

zooooommm!!

That is awesome. Great job......

2009-03-24 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2038204

Charlotte
HOLKYLE - 2009-03-23 9:57 PM

rpittster...

Dang! 4 miles in 29 minutes!?

zooooommm!!

That is awesome. Great job......

Thanks!  I was very happy, and I even lived to tell about it!!
2009-03-25 9:06 AM

rpittser, that sounds like a great run! I hope you had a good time. I was born in Charlotte, but haven't lived there in forever. It's beautiful.

As for me, I've had a GREAT week training! My race is only 10 days away and I now feel confident that I will be fine. Last Thursday after work I put my running shoes, shorts, socks, and t-shirt strapped into my Camelbak (I took out the bladder) with plans to ride to my wife's school (about 7mi), then run back home. I got about a mile from home and realized I had forgotten to cage my water bottle, and it was sitting in the fridge in the garage (even after reminding myself). Fortunately it was pretty cool out, high 60's, with a cold front moving in, bringing rain with it. I got to the school in about 30min. I put my bike in the van, changed shoes and shirt, and put my shorts on over my tri-shorts. I set my stopwatch and started running back home. About 1/2-mi into the run it started to rain and rained all the way home. It was nice and I stayed hydrated pretty wellLaughing. I got home in 1:19:40.

Monday morning I wanted to swim early, but didn't get to it, so I was counseling a friend in the morning and he asked me about my training. I told him I was going to try to swim at lunch and just see how far I could swim and time it. So I went at lunch and did 200y kick and stroke drills to warm up, then took off the fins, adjusted my goggles and started doing laps. 1500Y in 38:43! I could have kept going because I wasn't tired and my arms still had plenty in them. If I didn't have to get back to work I would have probably gone for 2000. Man, that was exciting.

Yesterday after work I got on my bike and rode a 12.1mi route and it took about 57min. and as soon as I got back, I transitioned into my running gear and did my 3mi run. I finished that in 30:29, which is a 10:10 pace after a 12mi ride.

I'll be riding again tomorrow, a long easy ride (it's still hard for me to stay low; I don't have aeros; and my hands still go numb). I haven't been able to ride much due to weather and/or schedule, so I think my cycling will be my weak leg. I'm still only averaging 14-17. With time on the bike I know that will improve, so I'm not upset about it. It is what it is, and seeing such improvement in my other two race legs, I'm very encouraged.

On another note, I was able to order a chip strap, race belt, and Yanks, and they should be here in the next day or so. Early next week I'll take my bike in for a final tune and clean, then the race is next Saturday. It's approaching fast!

Edited by astafford 2009-03-25 9:08 AM
2009-03-25 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2038814

User image

Master
Charlotte
astafford - 2009-03-25 10:06 AM

On another note, I was able to order a chip strap, race belt, and Yanks, and they should be here in the next day or so. Early next week I'll take my bike in for a final tune and clean, then the race is next Saturday. It's approaching fast!

On the Yanks note, make sure you get some SHORT runs in with the Yanks in the shoes before your race.  I had to adjust mine 2-3 times after a run to get them to feel comfortable.  Initially had them too tight and got blisters on the side of my foot.  Now I LOVE them and don't understand why I ever learned to tie laces.

Edited by bgraboski 2009-03-25 9:25 AM
2009-03-26 7:31 AM

bg, thanks for the tip. They haven't come in yet, but I planned on putting them in as soon as I got them and trying them out. So it sounds like I need to leave them a little looser than I would instinctually? And I guess I'll do a couple of 1.5mi runs to try them out and make adjustments. Does that sound about right?

Well, today's supposed to be my ride day. And it's raining. If it's a light enough rain, I'll probably just risk it. They said they don't rain out the race here, so I may be riding in the rain anyway. I downloaded the race map, but I haven't ridden the bike route. I need to drive that and maybe I can ride it this weekend so I know where I'm going. And I may swim over lunch today.

2009-03-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2040967

User image

Master
Charlotte
astafford - 2009-03-26 8:31 AM

bg, thanks for the tip. They haven't come in yet, but I planned on putting them in as soon as I got them and trying them out. So it sounds like I need to leave them a little looser than I would instinctually? And I guess I'll do a couple of 1.5mi runs to try them out and make adjustments. Does that sound about right?

Well they are wierd in that you lace them in reverse...from top to bottom but you have to lace the top very close because that is what strethes the most.  It just took a lot of adjustments to get it to feel right.  It doesn't have to be real short runs, just don't go out for a long run before you know they are OK.  Oh and don't cut the laces until you are happy with the adjustments.  I have about a 1/16" left after I cut and then had to make adjustments to loosen it up!

2009-03-27 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Finially felt like a "swimmer" yesterday.  I have been following the 3 month beginner program from BT and yesterday was the final week "big" swim.  750 in a row...AND I didn't feel like I was going to die!  Hooray! 

When I started swimming three months ago I really thought it would have been easier to pick up than it has.  Slowly but surely though it is coming together.  I think it is mentally harder than physically. 

Next week I will jump into the 0 --> 1650 swim program that Jonathon recommended.  1650 Seems so freaking far! 

Hope everyones weekend stays dry.  Calling for heavy rain here in Charlotte and I have an 8k race in the morning :-(  At least today I get a day to do nothing but relax!

2009-03-28 8:03 PM

Right there with you on the swimming thing. It was an amazing feeling to suddenly get it right one day. I'm glad your 750 went well. And the 1650 seems daunting, but just take it one lap at a time and you'll be amazed at what you can do. I was totally surprised when I did my 1500 and wanted to keep going. I know you'll do great.

And have a great race!

2009-03-29 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Ran my 8k yesterday with better than expected results.  32:10 (6:28/m).  Placed 9th overall and brought home my first age group medal (2nd place - 30-34).  Laughing WOOT!!! 

Final stats aren't posted yet but I estimate about 400+ runners in the 8k.   The unfortunate thing was my wife didn't bring a camera (but did bring our dog) and had to wait outside with the dog while I got my medal!  At least my daughter was with me to steal my medal immediately after I got it!

Almost as exciting as the medal was my 3 mile split.  19:02 with lots left in the tank.  One of my goals this year is a sub 20:00 5k and now I am super confident I can achieve that, maybe even get to around 19:00. 

2009-03-29 7:09 PM

Wow! Great run! Congrats on the placement! I know you'll be able to meet your 5k goal soon!

2009-03-30 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2046774

Charlotte
Good job on the run Brian!  Maybe we can run a 5k together and you can pace me for the first 100 yards!!  LOL.  

It was good to see the rain held off for the race, I'm sure that helped.  A 19 minute 5k sounds like a piece of cake for you based on that time.  I'm hoping to get below 22 this season.

Keep up the good work!
2009-03-30 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2028007

User image

Austin, Tx

astafford--

good luck in your first race this coming weekend!!!!! Let us know how it goes.

holly

2009-03-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2040967

User image

Austin, Tx

SOCK question....Jonathan.....

Seems most experienced triathletes don't wear socks on the run. I imagine it is to save time? for ease? b/c your feet are wet out of the water?

Why is this? Do you  need special running shoes (I've seen some) that are designed for triathletes etc and am afraid I'd get more blisters w/o socks than with them.

What advice can you give?

thanks!
Holly

2009-03-30 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2046774

User image

Master
bgraboski - 2009-03-29 9:28 AM

Ran my 8k yesterday with better than expected results.  32:10 (6:28/m).  Placed 9th overall and brought home my first age group medal (2nd place - 30-34).  Laughing WOOT!!! 

Final stats aren't posted yet but I estimate about 400+ runners in the 8k.   The unfortunate thing was my wife didn't bring a camera (but did bring our dog) and had to wait outside with the dog while I got my medal!  At least my daughter was with me to steal my medal immediately after I got it!

Almost as exciting as the medal was my 3 mile split.  19:02 with lots left in the tank.  One of my goals this year is a sub 20:00 5k and now I am super confident I can achieve that, maybe even get to around 19:00. 

That is a stout pace.  Awesome job.

2009-03-30 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2049954

User image

Master
HOLKYLE - 2009-03-30 10:14 PM

SOCK question....Jonathan.....

Seems most experienced triathletes don't wear socks on the run. I imagine it is to save time? for ease? b/c your feet are wet out of the water?

Why is this? Do you  need special running shoes (I've seen some) that are designed for triathletes etc and am afraid I'd get more blisters w/o socks than with them.

What advice can you give?

thanks!
Holly

Some don't wear socks but they train that way to prepare their feet.

I have transitioned in less than a minute while putting socks and running shoes on.  The trick is to roll your socks 1/2 way, pop them on your toes and they practically roll themselves up.  Then you also need stretchy laces on your shoes. 

Personally, I don't wear socks on the bike but I do wear them on the run.

//warning// - gross stuff ahead

I can't speak for not wearing socks on the run but I don't wear socks on the bike since I pee on the bike.  In a long race, I don't want to pull over, so I wait for a long downhill, situp and let it go.  Usually runs down my leg, through my shoe and out.  I use spray some water on my leg and shoe to wash if off.

2009-03-30 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2044565

User image

Master
bgraboski - 2009-03-27 3:13 PM

Finially felt like a "swimmer" yesterday.  I have been following the 3 month beginner program from BT and yesterday was the final week "big" swim.  750 in a row...AND I didn't feel like I was going to die!  Hooray! 

When I started swimming three months ago I really thought it would have been easier to pick up than it has.  Slowly but surely though it is coming together.  I think it is mentally harder than physically. 

Next week I will jump into the 0 --> 1650 swim program that Jonathon recommended.  1650 Seems so freaking far! 

Hope everyones weekend stays dry.  Calling for heavy rain here in Charlotte and I have an 8k race in the morning :-(  At least today I get a day to do nothing but relax!

That is a good progam.  I am working on getting my butterfly up; my plan is to do that program and one day swim 1 mile fly.  

Yeah, I'm a little bored in the pool.
2009-03-30 9:33 PM

User image

Master

All,

Sorry that I have been such a slack mentor/host.  School and work are taking a lot out of me.  At least next week I have some planned vacation in Hilton Head. 

I ran the ING 1/2 Marathon this past Sunday.  I did OK.  PRd by a few seconds.  It was a C race so I didn't taper for it and that probably cost me a few minutes and a bigger PR.  No worries as my focus is on my two HIM this year and running a hard 1/2 mary on tired legs works in my favor come HIM race day.

I can't wait for the first tri of the season.  4/25 for me (Tanner Sprint).  

When is everyone elses first tri?

J22

2009-03-31 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2049983

User image

Master
Charlotte
jonathan22 - 2009-03-30 10:33 PM

Tri Latta (sprint) - June 13th for me.  

Until then, I am keeping busy with a 13.1 in April and one or two 5k's in May.  I really want to do a Olympic in September but it all depends on whether I get selected to run NYC marathon.  If I do, I don't know if I will have the time or not.  If I don't get in to NYC, we are probably going to enter Disney Marathon so I would definately get to squeeze in an Oylmpic race. 

Hope you enjoy you vacation time in HH!  This weekend we are heading to Isle of Palms beach near Charleston for a 3-day weekend (it is my wife's turn to run Cooper River) and I am SO looking forward to diggin' my toes in the sand...the road bike and running shoes will be packed however!

2009-03-31 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2050372

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-03-30 7:51 AM

Tri Latta (sprint) - June 13th for me.  

Until then, I am keeping busy with a 13.1 in April and one or two 5k's in May.  I really want to do a Olympic in September but it all depends on whether I get selected to run NYC marathon.  If I do, I don't know if I will have the time or not.  If I don't get in to NYC, we are probably going to enter Disney Marathon so I would definately get to squeeze in an Oylmpic race. 

Hope you enjoy you vacation time in HH!  This weekend we are heading to Isle of Palms beach near Charleston for a 3-day weekend (it is my wife's turn to run Cooper River) and I am SO looking forward to diggin' my toes in the sand...the road bike and running shoes will be packed however!

Brian, I'm starting to think we are on the exact same wavelength.  I am considering Disney in Jan 2010 as well, depending on how the next few months go.  I still feel like it's an outstanding goal since I didn't make it there the first time I signed up for it.

My swimming coach and I are going to decide on the Tri Latta on 6/14 (novice group) in the next week or 2.  If she feels like I can do it, then I'll sign up.  I'm starting to improve at swimming, but being a true beginner I just have a lot to learn and I need to work on the endurance.  750M open water swim in 2.5 months is pretty scary, but I really want to get a Tri in soon.
2009-03-31 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2050721

User image

Master
Charlotte

rpittser - 2009-03-31 10:16 AM
Brian, I'm starting to think we are on the exact same wavelength.  I am considering Disney in Jan 2010 as well, depending on how the next few months go.  I still feel like it's an outstanding goal since I didn't make it there the first time I signed up for it.

My swimming coach and I are going to decide on the Tri Latta on 6/14 (novice group) in the next week or 2.  If she feels like I can do it, then I'll sign up.  I'm starting to improve at swimming, but being a true beginner I just have a lot to learn and I need to work on the endurance.  750M open water swim in 2.5 months is pretty scary, but I really want to get a Tri in soon. 

Great minds think alike!  LOL! 

We both really want to do NYC but with about a 30% chance of getting in, we aren't counting on it (seriously...how does NYC get 98,000 applications?).  If we both don't get in, we will probably do Disney in Jan.  My mother-in-law has been trying to plan a family Disney trip for a while so if we could combine the two (and have built in baby sitter), that would be great.  I am the type of person that likes to get outta town for a first time big race (would be my 1st mary, wifes 2nd).  Way more fun for me.

If you do Tri-Latta, I am sure you won't have a problem getting ready by June.  Once you get the confidence up, the longer distance gets easier.  Just doing my first 750 staight last week has made me much more confident in the pool.  My wife is also doing Tri-Latta on Sunday (we share my road bike so it works out great having it over two days). 

I try not to think about "open water" right now.  My open water swimming over the past 30 years consists of sitting on a life jacket in Lake Wylie and drinking beer...and having to swim back to the boat to get more beer!

Edited by bgraboski 2009-03-31 10:11 AM

2009-03-31 6:01 PM

My first tri is Saturday. It's the Smithfield Sprint in Smithfield, VA, where I live. 350y pool swim, 10mi bike, 5k run.

I'd like to do the Patrick Henry 1/2 marathon in August and the Giant Acorn Int'l in Bumpass, VA in October. If I can convince my bride, I want to do the Walt Disney World HIM next May. That's right at my daughter's birthday and she loves Disney, so I'd want to combine it into a vacation. In June 2010 or 2011 I want to do the Chesapeake Bay Swim, a 4.4-mile shore-to-shore.

On another note, I just worked on some sprints and cornering in my neighborhood and I had my first wipeout. I had to make some adjustments on my bike and I'm glad I found out better on this ride than in my race Saturday.

Edited by astafford 2009-04-01 9:04 AM
2009-03-31 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2049983

User image

Regular
Middletown

My first tri is not till May 9th.  Up here in NJ the season starts later I guess.  It is a sprint of .45 mile swim, 20.5 mile bike and a 4 mile run.  Looking forward to it as I am finally feeling good running for the first time in a couple years.  Had been battling shin splints during the past couple years off and on.  I have all my basic gear ready to go but just need to order the wetsuit within the next week or so.  Also signed up for my other races, another sprint after the first race then 2 olympics after that.  Might throw in another sprint if I am feeling good.  

2009-04-01 8:42 AM

I just put in my Yankz last night, so I'll try them out tomorrow and make adjustments as needed. I haven't cut the excess so it looks like I'm wearing bunny slippers if I don't tuck them in.

I was thinking about the Giant Acorn tri in the fall. I don't have a wetsuit, but my friend is a surfer and is about my size. Would his wetsuit work for a tri okay, or are they built different enough that it would be a hindrance. I know tri suits are different, but would a surfer's wetsuit work close enough to the same. I think it's a short suit with short sleeves.

2009-04-01 8:12 PM

User image

Austin, Tx

Yeah I second the wetsuit question.....

I've got a shorty as I wakeboard and surf, that should be ok, right? I know how long it takes me to get out of it....does it slow transition time? I've heard some people use spray PAM or any kind of vegetable oil spray to spray on themselves to get out of the wetsuit.

Oh and Jonathan~~~~thanks for the honest sock answer !!! ha ha. That is great.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15