BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-05-18 10:28 PM
in reply to: #1409830

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-18 9:15 PM

Hey ladies and gent...I'm alive!!! I wrote about it in my blog, but it was fun. I didn't break any sound barriers and I did walk down two hills (but there were lots of hills), but I did successfully fish a Gu out of my jersey and eat it all while riding, so that's one small victory It was lots of fun, and would be fun to do again next year, with another year of riding under my belt.

Well done. I hope you feel mighty satisfied.

2008-05-19 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1349986

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Great job knocking out that century!

Keep your head up and those wheels spinning, and you can dance a jig while riding if you want!
2008-05-19 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1409830

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-19 3:15 AM

Hey ladies and gent...I'm alive!!! I wrote about it in my blog, but it was fun. I didn't break any sound barriers and I did walk down two hills (but there were lots of hills), but I did successfully fish a Gu out of my jersey and eat it all while riding, so that's one small victory It was lots of fun, and would be fun to do again next year, with another year of riding under my belt.

Well done you, you're alive and you had fun - what more could you ask for!

2008-05-19 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I ran 10k yesterday - I'm so, so proud of myself as this is a really big achievement for me. I know those of you who think this is piffilingly small may not be impressed but I'm so happy. At the start of the year I seriously didn't think I could do this and suspected I might still be heading that way when one of the other Olympic Tri guys I know said that I'd need to ran at least ran 8k a couple of weeks beforehand to be able to cope. Finally I managed to reach all three of my goals: 1) I finished, 2) I ran all the way and 3) I managed it in less than 90 minutes at a time of 77' 10''. To say I'm happy with my run is an understatement *VBG*
2008-05-19 7:49 AM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Awesome job!

No way I could run 10k right now without HURTING.
2008-05-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1410241

Kate_r - 2008-05-19 8:47 AM I ran 10k yesterday - I'm so, so proud of myself as this is a really big achievement for me. I know those of you who think this is piffilingly small may not be impressed but I'm so happy. At the start of the year I seriously didn't think I could do this and suspected I might still be heading that way when one of the other Olympic Tri guys I know said that I'd need to ran at least ran 8k a couple of weeks beforehand to be able to cope. Finally I managed to reach all three of my goals: 1) I finished, 2) I ran all the way and 3) I managed it in less than 90 minutes at a time of 77' 10''. To say I'm happy with my run is an understatement *VBG*

Congrats on your 10k!!

2008-05-19 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1410452

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Congrats to both of you! You are an inspiration ... Chrissy I'm gonna get my bike out today, in honour of you. ;-)
And Kate ... awesome job on the 10k! Very impressive that you ran the whole way ... I always have to take walking breaks. Way to go.
2008-05-19 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1410671

SpiritFire - 2008-05-19 11:12 AM Congrats to both of you! You are an inspiration ... Chrissy I'm gonna get my bike out today, in honour of you. ;-) And Kate ... awesome job on the 10k! Very impressive that you ran the whole way ... I always have to take walking breaks. Way to go.

Aw, thanks I was hoping the hard-core tri-chick would have made an appearance on some of those scary downhills, but she kinda stayed inside. I did try to be a bit less conservative on smaller hills and some flat, turn-y parts, etc.

2008-05-19 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1410701

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-19 8:19 AM

SpiritFire - 2008-05-19 11:12 AM Congrats to both of you! You are an inspiration ... Chrissy I'm gonna get my bike out today, in honour of you. ;-) And Kate ... awesome job on the 10k! Very impressive that you ran the whole way ... I always have to take walking breaks. Way to go.

Aw, thanks I was hoping the hard-core tri-chick would have made an appearance on some of those scary downhills, but she kinda stayed inside. I did try to be a bit less conservative on smaller hills and some flat, turn-y parts, etc.

But you had FUN! - so you did everything right. ;-)

Hard-core tri-chick is in there - you probably just didn't need her for this ride, so she's waiting for the perfect opportunity to bust out.
2008-05-19 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1410742

SpiritFire - 2008-05-19 11:33 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-19 8:19 AM

But you had FUN! - so you did everything right. ;-) Hard-core tri-chick is in there - you probably just didn't need her for this ride, so she's waiting for the perfect opportunity to bust out.

Hopefully she will make an appearance at my now-first sprint of the season in two weeks! (I canned my first sprint this season due to pouring rain)

2008-05-19 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1410805

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
If you can survive a Century - you can survive a Sprint. No worries, mate!

2008-05-19 12:08 PM

User image

Colorado

Congrats Chrissy and Kate!!!  That is a major accomplishment for both!

I got a little trophy this weekend that says I'm officially a "triathlete" now, and I plan to register for another 1/2 marathon later in the season.  The one yesterday was a good learning experience and I hope to do well in the next one.  (At least I know where I should place some Band-Aids or use "Glide" and I will be skipping the extra hydration and just drinking normally!)

Other than not being able to sleep, I had a great weekend!  I hope everyone else did too!

2008-05-19 4:33 PM

User image

Colorado

Hi, me again.

Chrissy, I enjoyed reading about your ride, and Kate--that's a pretty good time you got on that 10K!!!  Way to go both of you

So, my next 1/2 marathon will be a little sooner than expected.  As in less than 3 weeks!  I went and registered for "Run the Rockies" on June 7th.  I am now worried as a buddy of mine who runs marathons said I would be sore TOMORROW!!!  (I have a swollen foot and some raw skin where seams were rubbing--like under my armpit.  But no sore muscles.)  I felt like I didn't work very hard, this run has Starbuck's (good coffee drinks) at the start line and is 75% downhill...so it seemed perfect for me.  Now I'm worried that everything is going to hurt tomorrow and I'm just going to put myself in a world of hurt later!  

I told my doctor I did the half marathon and that I felt fine and he reminded me that I was supposed to be taking it easy.  Then he said he knows people like me and if it's what I need to be happy and I have the energy, then I'm probably just at the extreme end of the bell-shaped curve as far as recovery times.  I'm not to blame him for any mishaps related to my premature activity levels of course...and just for the record, I am careful.  I did my potty break at a gas station rather than a porta potty just so I could assess the situation (no blood in my urine) and kept track of my HR.  I get chewed out more than I get cheered for typically, so God knows I don't want to do anything stupid and hear a bunch of "I told you so"'s. 

Anyway, sorry for rambling...   Do most of you get sorer 2 days after a long run, or the first day after???

2008-05-19 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Well done Andria, it's so good to have started on your tri journey. Do take it easy though, you need to pay some attention to what to doc says.

I don't tend to get worse the second day after and hurt more if anything the following day but I have heard many times that it's worse 2 days after than the next day. As I said it hasn't happened to me so I guess you'll just have to see.

Has anyone any advice for recovery after the 10k. A friend has advised me off running until Wednesday at the earliest as I'm still a little sore after the run yesterday but the schedule for the next tri (a week on Sunday) has me running tomorrow with a bit of strength training a bike ride. I took the swim today fairly easy and am going to swap the ride for a spin class so I can back off if necessary but wondered what I should do about the run?
2008-05-19 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1412010

User image

Colorado

Kate_r - 2008-05-19 4:08 PM Well done Andria, it's so good to have started on your tri journey. Do take it easy though, you need to pay some attention to what to doc says. I don't tend to get worse the second day after and hurt more if anything the following day but I have heard many times that it's worse 2 days after than the next day. As I said it hasn't happened to me so I guess you'll just have to see. Has anyone any advice for recovery after the 10k. A friend has advised me off running until Wednesday at the earliest as I'm still a little sore after the run yesterday but the schedule for the next tri (a week on Sunday) has me running tomorrow with a bit of strength training a bike ride. I took the swim today fairly easy and am going to swap the ride for a spin class so I can back off if necessary but wondered what I should do about the run?

If you're sore, have you taken a warm bath or tried epsom salts?  I did this after my run yesterday and maybe that's why I'm not sore (or it's delayed...we shall see).  I have heard it's not too late to do it the following day.  I like to do something the day after a run, like an easy jog or bike to loosen my legs back up again if they're tight.  A pedicure is my favorite way to recover, though   Seriously, it probably depends on HOW sore you are...if a run or bike is too painful to even think about I'd probably skip it.

Edited by AndriaLL 2008-05-19 5:55 PM
2008-05-19 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Kate_r - 2008-05-19 6:08 PM Well done Andria, it's so good to have started on your tri journey. Do take it easy though, you need to pay some attention to what to doc says. I don't tend to get worse the second day after and hurt more if anything the following day but I have heard many times that it's worse 2 days after than the next day. As I said it hasn't happened to me so I guess you'll just have to see. Has anyone any advice for recovery after the 10k. A friend has advised me off running until Wednesday at the earliest as I'm still a little sore after the run yesterday but the schedule for the next tri (a week on Sunday) has me running tomorrow with a bit of strength training a bike ride. I took the swim today fairly easy and am going to swap the ride for a spin class so I can back off if necessary but wondered what I should do about the run?

I tend to have sore calf muscles the day after my events.  I've found that a nice easy spin on the bike followed by a long stretching session works really well for me.  If you feel like you need to keep up the run volume you can do a recovery pace run.  Check out the McMillan Running Calculator.  You can enter in your time for a recent race and it will give you some target paces for training.  Nifty little training tool.

2008-05-19 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Yup, it hurts more the second day. Especially when you are doing an activity your body isn't accustomed to. But after any endurance run (I mean any time you push past a benchmark, Kate, this is you) an immediate icing hastens recovery and lessens the overall sorenss and pain. If you're adverse to a 10 minute ice bath, then submerge your legs at least in ice water or apply ice packs as best you can to your joints, i.e., ankles, knees, lower back. Also, Vitamin "I" to reduce inflammation. I have recently become a big fan of recovery drinks. I see a huge difference in recovery speed since using them. These are mainly for any workout lasting over an hour and best taken right after the workout so keep in mind for the next race. No hard rule on recovery time off from running. If you're walking around in discomfort or even pain, its not going to feel any better to run. And if you have torn something, you will make it worse. Let your body tell you when its time to get back. When you feel strong enough to use those muscles again, go easy.Just my 2 cents worth.
2008-05-19 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Also, you can apply heat only after the swelling is gone, and you can rotate heat and ice starting the second day in 10-15 minute intervals if you want to jumpstart the recovery. Two more cents.
2008-05-19 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Kate_r - 2008-05-19 5:08 PM Well done Andria, it's so good to have started on your tri journey. Do take it easy though, you need to pay some attention to what to doc says. I don't tend to get worse the second day after and hurt more if anything the following day but I have heard many times that it's worse 2 days after than the next day. As I said it hasn't happened to me so I guess you'll just have to see. Has anyone any advice for recovery after the 10k. A friend has advised me off running until Wednesday at the earliest as I'm still a little sore after the run yesterday but the schedule for the next tri (a week on Sunday) has me running tomorrow with a bit of strength training a bike ride. I took the swim today fairly easy and am going to swap the ride for a spin class so I can back off if necessary but wondered what I should do about the run?

Why don't you try a run/walk tomorrow-just run as much as you feel able and take it easy and walk the rest. It'll probably help you with your recovery and you wont be skipping a training session.

2008-05-19 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1412207

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Jenni G - 2008-05-19 4:38 PM

Yup, it hurts more the second day. Especially when you are doing an activity your body isn't accustomed to. But after any endurance run (I mean any time you push past a benchmark, Kate, this is you) an immediate icing hastens recovery and lessens the overall sorenss and pain. If you're adverse to a 10 minute ice bath, then submerge your legs at least in ice water or apply ice packs as best you can to your joints, i.e., ankles, knees, lower back. Also, Vitamin "I" to reduce inflammation. I have recently become a big fan of recovery drinks. I see a huge difference in recovery speed since using them. These are mainly for any workout lasting over an hour and best taken right after the workout so keep in mind for the next race. No hard rule on recovery time off from running. If you're walking around in discomfort or even pain, its not going to feel any better to run. And if you have torn something, you will make it worse. Let your body tell you when its time to get back. When you feel strong enough to use those muscles again, go easy.Just my 2 cents worth.

What she said ... 'cept I don't know what vitamin "I" is ... is it obvious and I just can't figure it out?
Although I have never ice bathed ... I always hot bath with Epsom Salts - and it seems to work for me!
2008-05-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1412487

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

What she said ... 'cept I don't know what vitamin "I" is.

Vitamin "I"= Ibuprofin I've recently bought stock in Motrin and Ace Bandages. I hope to retire soon.

2008-05-20 8:01 AM

Morning folks - it's rainy and gross here again today. Run planned for after work, which is tolerable in the rain as long as it's not pouring. I need to bring my bike in to be tuned, as long as they can get it back to me before the long weekend - it's funny, I know that I rode 100 miles on Saturday and that it's probably okay by the triathlon Gods if I don't ride again until this weekend (esp. if I ride more than once), but I already know I will feel guilty if I take my bike in, and feel like I should at least take spin class.
2008-05-20 10:35 AM

User image

Colorado

Good morning!  (Or whatever time of day it is outside of the US)  It is day two since my 1/2 marathon and I do have the slightest dull pain in my back...it's actually where my right kidney used to be, so I don't know if it's even related to the run.  I have my appointment with my rheumatologist today so I shouldn't have to wait too long to find out what it is.

I used my foam roller last night and did find a couple of sore spots--very top and very bottom of my IT bands--so I feel better knowing I worked something   Since it's not bad I am even more excited to get a do-over on the 7th!

I hope everyone is having a good day and feeling good so far....I checked out your website yesterday Trina...is that you at the top of the page???  Was the photo from your most recent photo shoot?  You look good!

2008-05-20 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1413468

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Hey Andria - no that's not me, it's still the horrible array of stock photos. I'm having some issues, actually, with my friend the photographer and our photo shoot .. long story short - I just couldn't relax and had a horrible time, and really feel disappointed with the way the shoot went ... definately not as planned, anyway. And she hasn't gotten the photos to me yet ... so I have no idea how they've turned out. I'm guessing she's going to have to photoshop a LOT just to make me presentable, based on my mood. And the shots I really wanted done, which in my mind are imperative for my website - she didn't even do. We'll get them done sometime in June, hopefully, so I can get that site up and running completely. I do trust her - she is really very good - but ... we'll see. I'll keep ya posted!

OK - venting session over. ;-)

Or not over ... I'm totally freaking out about this school assignment! I believed I'd have it done by last Friday, which gave me 4 full days last week to work on it. It's now Tuesday and I'm only halfway done! It's way more time consuming than I thought - and it's completely sucking the life out of me! I'm so frustrated, and more than a little stressed out. grrrrrrrrrr ...

OK - NOW venting session is over. ;-)
2008-05-21 8:02 AM

Morning folks - what's on tap today? I had a nice run last night and going to swim after work today. I still need to clean all the gunk off my bike from the weekend, which really means I need to take off the back wheel and clean the cassette, etc - ie, sit outside on our front patch of lawn with a bucket of water, degreaser and various cleaning implements while the neighbors stare at me like I'm a weirdo.

I am also thinking that our dear mentor has forgotten about us...

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-05-21 8:03 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23