of 47

2009-01-06 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1889597

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!
mulkman - 2009-01-06 10:24 AM

I have had a HARD time waking up in the mornings lately.  Is it the season or something?

Does anyone have any suggestions, tricks, pills for that?

The season definitely has an effect.  Changes in weather can make me tired too. The killer is going from a schedule of going to bed at 2am to my school schedule of getting up at 4:30 am.  My body really doesn't like it when I don't get 8 hours (or more) of sleep.

2009-01-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon

The big list o responses:

BM great job on your first tri - smokin run there. Bottle cages are notorious for breaking, welcome to the fold! I can't imagine what a panic attack right at the start would be like - big time kudos for busting through it and finishing.

Weight Loss: been there, doing it - again. The two things that help me the most - Log everything you eat, and get rid of all the junk food in the house and replace it with fruit and other yummy nutritious treats. If i get a hankering for something sweet I grab a piece of fruit (apple, orange, pear), fyi organic ones may not necessarily be better for you, but they taste 100% better. Also, raw almonds - a handful does the trick everytime.

Seren: I hate running too, but I'm slowly growing to like it, i'm dreadfully slow too. Fun fun...

Sdalessio: Low glycemic foods are your friend. Lots of sites online that list them. And there are lots of tasty ones - including most fruit.

Waking up -  Impossible this time of year. Uggh. I dunno if it's worse here, but the PacNW sucks your soul every winter and spits it back out as rain. Today is particularly dreadful.

Pushups - did my test yesterday, a pathetic 5 knee pushups, my upper body strength is non-existent. I will persevere!

2009-01-06 1:52 PM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

Kiri - I only got 8 on my initial test because my daughter decided the half one I did before I collapsed counted.  We can work our way out of pathetic-ness together!

The only reason I have been able to drag myself out of bed at 5 am is the January peach challenge.  I know I will be working late, so it's my only time for workouts.  I have this minor competitive thing that won't let me miss a day if it means I won't be doing as well as everyone else.  In December, doing the trainer challenge, I dragged myself out of bed when I was sick to get a ride.  My husband says I'm OCD, but I've learned to use it to my advantage.

I will be happier when the days get longer.  Getting up in the dark stinks.

2009-01-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1889802

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
kirih - 2009-01-06 11:26 AM

The big list o responses:

hmmm, someone is not very good at post padding. 

2009-01-06 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1889909

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
serendipity - 2009-01-06 11:52 AM

I will be happier when the days get longer.  Getting up in the dark stinks.

I am right there with you.  I really struggle with driving in the dark.  I have issues with glare/headlights and I generally just feel tired when it is dark.  I avoid driving at night-to the point that I will spend the night at someone's house.  I can't do much about my school commute.  I make sure to leave early.  It takes significantly longer to drive if I leave after 6am.  If I leave by six it is a 20 minute commute.  If I leave at six thirty the commute can take an hour or more.  Yea for traffic.

2009-01-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1887963

User image

Expert
Florida
sdalessio - 2009-01-05 7:46 PM

I'm so glad to see the eating/lose weight/etc..  questions.  This is a sore spot for me.  I have always been relavitely active except for a 5 year period in my last 20s.  But I have always had a few extra pounds even at my most active.  One positive thing: I have never 'dieted' in my life.  I've always known that it won'r work in the long run.  I've just spent years complaining about my weight.  LOL

So now I am at a lose about how to figure out how much to eat.  I'm currently tracking my food.  I have no idea what calorie intake I should be going with especially since my training is ramping back up and I start my HIM plan in 2 weeks.  I have 3 main problems:

1. I am always hungry.  I'm trying to drink more water to see if that helps but its a struggle.

2. I am terrified of carbs.  I had gestional diabetes w/ my first baby and found out there is a family history of diabetes so since that strict diet (max. 200 grams of carb per day) I fret over eating carbs.  I know they are not the enemy - I am just paranoid.  I eat lots of fruits, veggies and almost all whole grains. 

3. I'm a slave to scale.  I know that is not the only instrument of measurement but I want the pounds to come off.  I ended the year at the exact same weight that I started at.  But I am a size smaller so something good happened.  When I get to my peak marathon training I put on weight which was incredibly frustrating.  I don't think I was eating all that much more but I was also expending a lot more energy.

So I feel a bit lost at the moment.  I made it through the holidays a pound or two lighter - I was trying to cut out some calories.  So that is a small victory but I feel that I'm going to add back some weight when I start training.  Why does it have to be so hard?  I welcome any words of advice, encouragement, magic pills, commiserating , etc...

aight let me see what we can do here to help.
So far everything you said was not only good but informed. If you are always feeling hungry and you feel your calories are not exceeding a 500 calorie deficit everyday then you are more than likely dehydrated. Also, you mention a HIM plan your starting, since obviousley you have done other plans before this and ESPECIALLY when training for HIM/IM hydration is an absolute key. When you cant drink anymore water-drink another bottle. Then wait 20 minutes. If your still hungry then thats your body telling you you are actually hungry.
On this note try not to confuse hunger with boredom-which is something i can do sometimes. again the water helps with this.

You should really never be creating a calorie deficit of more than 500 calories under your resting metabolic rate plus your calorie expendature from exercising per day. Doing so will greatly accelerate the loss of not only fat but the muscle mass that you WANT to keep.
I would also adjust your eating lifestyle( i never call anything a diet-diets are dumb and do not work in the long-term) to incorporate more frequent eating, after 2-3 weeks you will start to get hungry every 3-4 hours automatically. my body has been telling me for 4 years when it is time for me to eat if i get to busy at work and dont look at the clock etc.. I have trained mybody to need more fuel every 3 hours and thus eating smaller more evenly spaced meals.

make sure you are adaquately addressing your pre and post training by getting your carbs and protein back into your system. I cannot put myself in your situation in regards to your child and gestational diabetes as i dont know much about that, but i have a type 1 diabetic friend who also happens to be a vegetarian. he eates ALOT of carbs and does fine as long as he manages his sugar levels. While this isnt a direct correlation, unless your dcotor tells you otherwise, carbs are fine and the reason you may be feeling hungry all the time is not just the lack of carbs but also the healthy FAT.
Thats right-i said it. YOU NEED IT. olive oil, peanut butter, avacado, peanuts, mixed nuts.
GET YOU SOME, if you aren't already and make sure two meals a day have a good dosing of healthy fats. I think from the sound of it, your getting enough protein but not including foods that will fill you up.
if your afraid of eating carbs eat them in their best forms and see how the body reacts. if your training a HIM you are definately gonna need some carbs. brown rice, whole wheat (non-process flour make sure) pasta., sweet potatos, quinoa, stonebread,green veggies, yellow veggies, apples, bananas, etc etc etc and healthy fat.
listen to your body and STOP WATCHING THE SCALE!!!! im laying the hammer down sister, no more scale checking! I want you to weight yourself once a week,same time of day in the same clothing if possible, best time is right upon waking up. then right that down and track along with your new food intake for 1 month. it is VERY GOOD you have the same weight but you noticed you were a size smaller, that means your losing BODYFAT while keeping your muscle mass, i.e. the main goal of weightloss.
try this stuff and PM me or post here because you are NOT in this alone!

2009-01-06 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1887255

Slidell, LA

BeginnerMan - 2009-01-05 1:53 PM thanks for all the congrats gang! I just posted my race report a few minutes ago so you can see the mishaps i experienced at my first race.

Great race report!  I think everyone gets a little overwhelmed on their first OW swim, it takes a lot to push through it.

That run was speedy!  I always run faster (not as fast as you!) during a race than I do in training (It always hurts BAD)

2009-01-06 4:41 PM
in reply to: #1870868

Slidell, LA

BeginnerMan - 2008-12-24 8:03 AM re: the lap question......  I think im going to invest in the sportcount lap timer http://www.sportcount.com/productsNew.php?category=SportCount thing is 35 bucks and people love it. that way i wont even have to think about it and i can fully concentrate on my stroke and form-unless of course i go off in my daze again......

I got a Sportcount lap counter!  I did my swim this morning with it..  man, it's NICE!  I swam a good bit faster than I thought I did and I didn't have to count!!!  I've been showing it off all day at work!  Nobody here swims, and they could care less about it, but I think it is cool!!

2009-01-06 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1890486

User image

Expert
Florida
mulkman - 2009-01-06 5:41 PM

BeginnerMan - 2008-12-24 8:03 AM re: the lap question......  I think im going to invest in the sportcount lap timer http://www.sportcount.com/productsNew.php?category=SportCount thing is 35 bucks and people love it. that way i wont even have to think about it and i can fully concentrate on my stroke and form-unless of course i go off in my daze again......

I got a Sportcount lap counter!  I did my swim this morning with it..  man, it's NICE!  I swam a good bit faster than I thought I did and I didn't have to count!!!  I've been showing it off all day at work!  Nobody here swims, and they could care less about it, but I think it is cool!!

thanks for the nice words mulk!
After hearing about your sportcount experience, i was on the fence previously, im in. itll make the swims alot easier so i can focus on my stroke.
2009-01-06 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1890486

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
mulkman - 2009-01-06 2:41 PM

I might have to look into that.  It is especially hard to keep track of laps at 6 am.  I am going to start swimming at 5:15 on Monday mornings! 

Edited by mchally 2009-01-06 5:47 PM
2009-01-06 7:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
I just got a response on my YMCA financial aid app.  They are offering me membership at a 65% price reduction.  It will be doable...maybe.  I just wish that I didn't have to pay an enrollment fee as well. Absolutely no unnecessary purchases for me.  I have a feeling that I will be scrounging for food as it is. 

2009-01-06 8:09 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=40225&BIB=2022&S=230&PWD=

Those are the pics from my race last weekend.  Kinda obvious I was getting brutalized by the hills.  I have no idea why that random pic of that lady is in there.

2009-01-07 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Marmadaddy posted this in the tri talk forum, and I thought I'd share it in case y'all miss it:

We are one week into the New Year.

Did you resolve to do a triathlon in 2009? Lose weight? Exercise consistently? The resolve that drove many just one week ago to declare this a year of increased exercise and  better eating habits, maybe even to declare that this is the year they complete a triathlon is waning.  Maybe that's the case with you.

You know what? It happens to all of us. It's normal. Anyone who's ever done a triathlon, from the person who did one Sprint to multiple Ironman finishers have all gone through the exact same thing. The idea of suiting up to go run in the cold, or drive to the gym, or have an apple instead of the cookies just seems...bleh.  I'll say it again: it happens to all of us. We all feel that way at times.

There are different ways of dealing with it. There's a phrase that's worked for me: "Screw lack of motivation. I'm going to do it anyway." You'll get past this. By doing your workout or following your nutrition plan now, when you just don't feel like it, you'll get in the habit of doing it regularly. That's what you need to learn now. Don't pay attention to the voice that says "it's only one mile, it's not worth doing"  or "I'll never be able to do a triathlon anyway".

You're in the period where how long you swim, bike, walk or run isn't important. What's important is that you just swim, bike, walk or run.

Picture yourself not at the finish line of a race, but at the starting line. Imagine having done the work to deserve your place at that starting line. Now do it.

Do something today to create the person you want to be tomorrow.

Go do your workout. 

Do Not Give Up.

2009-01-07 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Happy Hump Day!!!! 

Thanks again group for all of the helpful advice and words of encouragement.  I think water may be an issue (not drinking enough) so I'm going to try and get better about that.  That's the main reason I made it one of my resolutions.

On another note my husband and I have finished signing up for most of our events for the year.  Whew - our little fingers were typing away last night and today.  Don't know why but most stuff seemed to open at the same time.  Good so I don't forget but bad on the checkbook.

So my official list through August.
- Feb. 1 Capital Hospice 12K
- Mar. 22 Shamrock Half Marathon
- Apr. 5 Cherry Blossom 10 miler
- Apr. 18 Rumpass in Bumpass International Tri
- Apr. 26 Worldgate Sprint Tri
- May 17 Marine Corp Half Marathon
- May 23/24 Jim McDonnell practice swim or 1 mile swim race
- June 7 Mooseman Half Ironman Tri
- June 28 Montclair Sprint Tri
- July 27 Hagerstown Sprint Tri

We are also planning on some bike century (full or metric) plus I need one more fall tri and half/full marathon.

Back to the pool tonight to meet the new swim coach and start to get back into the groove.

2009-01-07 12:37 PM

User image

Regular

All,

I have not posted in a while so I thought I would finally wish everyone a Happy 2009.  I am personally looking forward to 2009 and putting the injury riddled 2008 behind me.

I wanted to weigh in on the dieting (no pun intended).  Last year at this time I did a program called Body For Life.  They basically had you eat equal amounts of carbs and protein and very limited amount of fat.  However, I ate six small meals a day.  It really worked, I lost 13 lbs in 10 weeks (went from 176 down to 163) and increased my muscle mass significantly.  The downside to the full program is that you work out three times a week and put on a lot of muscle.  I felt too big in the upper body last year and I will modify the program slightly to focus more on eating right and doing a lot of cardio.  However, any program takes time to see results and you just have to stick with it.

Below is my revised race schedule for 2009.  I will post my ST/LT goals later:

5/30 - Greater Lafayette (Indiana) 5K (my first road race)

6/6 - Lafayette (Indiana) YMCA Triathlon 500m/10miles/5K (I volunteered last year in the pouring rain)

6/27 - Beat the Heat 10K (Indianapolis, IN, my first ever 10K)

7/18 - Tri Del Sol Triathlon (Middleville, MI) .5k/18 miles/4.5mile

8/22 - Three Rivers Triathlon (Three Rivers, MI) OLY (My first ever Olympic triathlon)

10/17 - Indianapolis Half Marathon (My first ever HM)

Should be a great 2009 with some races to visit family and friends in Michigan.

I will be using the 20 week OLY training plan, run specific, to get ready for my first Olympic.  I will start that sometime in March.  Until that time, I will be in the prep and base mode of training and just getting ready.  I am not looking forward to the trainer time with the bike, if anyone has any good trainer workouts, please let me know.

I finished week 2, day 1 of the pushup challenge yesterday and I am shocked how quickly I am improving.  I finished my pushups yesterday with a max set of 16, one more than my initial test.  At that was after four set of pushups totaling 48 pushups.  I definitely see improvement in only one short week.

Take care

2009-01-07 2:12 PM

User image

Master

I want you all to know that I wrote this big long post about why I didn't run this morning, but before I could hit submit one of our servers crashed and I lost the connection.  Now, 4 hours later, I finally got back onto the internet.  That's just the way the past 24 hours has been going. 

<sigh>

I did do my pushups this morning - week 1, day  2.  (1...ow...2...ow...3...)

2009-01-07 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1890962

Slidell, LA
sesh - 2009-01-06 8:09 PM

Those are the pics from my race last weekend.  Kinda obvious I was getting brutalized by the hills.  I have no idea why that random pic of that lady is in there.

Looks like a nice race, I have my first Half this weekend, I'm so unprepared, but I'm treating it as a long slow run

2009-01-07 4:21 PM

User image

Expert

I hate when a server crashes just as your are finishing some big long email or such!

I'm feeling very lazy right now.  It is cold and rainy here.  I may bail on the pool tonight and have fun on the Wii.  I can get in some strength training and yoga work.  I start my training plan when I return from vacation so I am going to enjoy this last little bit of downtime.  Plus I have a 5m tempo run tomorrow AM.

I did complete week 1 day 2 of my push up and sit up challenge.  Too soon to tell if its getting better.

2009-01-07 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1893162

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
mulkman - 2009-01-07 4:13 PM
sesh - 2009-01-06 8:09 PM

Looks like a nice race, I have my first Half this weekend, I'm so unprepared, but I'm treating it as a long slow run

You gonna do the Mardis Gras Marathon/Half-Marathon?

Now that is a fun race.

2009-01-07 4:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
I've got day 2 of Week 3 to do tonight (started on week 3).  I think I'm gonna enjoy this, although I had some tired arms while swimming today.
2009-01-07 5:20 PM

User image

Master

Having the finance department's server go down in the middle of trying to close the books for the year is really bad.  Nothing like having a bunch of stressed out accountants with huge to-do lists staring at locked up computers for 4 hours.  Can't say I'm in a great mood.  This is after a night with zero sleep thanks to a sick 5 year old.  (Then, after being up all night crying because his throat hurts and insisting that I stay with him, he sleeps a few hours, gets up at 7:30, and says he wants to go to school.  So I didn't even get to take a sick day to stay home with him.  I was hoping to get a nap.)

Of course, today is a run day.  15 minutes.  Since I didn't get to go to sleep until 4:15, I didn't get out there at 5 am.  Plus it was pouring rain.  So that run is still hanging over me.  And my boss just said we don't have to work too late tonight, so I will get home in time for a run before bed, if I can talk myself into it.

2009-01-07 5:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-07 6:50 PM

Champion
Sequim, Washington
I just finished my push-ups.  I did much better than I expected.  My max was somewhere between 15 and 18 (my mind was wandering and I lost track).
2009-01-07 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1893296

Expert

Sorry about the crummy day and night.  Hope you son is feeling better and the servers are cooperating again.  Are in the finance dept or the IT dept?  Not sure which would be worse in that case. 

Those are the kind of days that call for a glass of wine.  At least 15 min can go by pretty quick and you can think about red or white the whole time.  :-)

2009-01-07 8:19 PM

Master

I'm in finance.  It was still raining when I left work, so I gave up on the run and swapped it for tomorrow's trainer ride.  I'll run in the morning, after a (hopefully) good night's sleep.  The rain is supposed to stop by then. 

Have a great night everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47