BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-02-04 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1944917

Subject: RE: Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!!
gojogo - 2009-02-04 10:15 AM

eightmanvt - Have fun ridding your new bike this weekend.  Are you planning on getting a computer to log your miles and time?  The one I got doesn't calculate cadence.  I wish it did because now on a trainer, I have no way of keeping track. 

I am considering a bike computer - definitely.  Any recommendations?  I know that Trek has a wireless one with a little device that's designed to fit into the frame - I forget what they call it.  I don't really have a feel for how importance a cadence counter is.  I've never been a cyclist...outside of  biking to and from class back in college. 

2009-02-04 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1945043

User image

Champion
if you do get a computer (and personal pref here, totally not needed), get a simple one to start with.

my dad has a shwinn one that cost about 11 dollars, had speed, time, and distance, works very well.

just off the top of my head (you have some/most covered already), the things i would want to have along with the bike:

shoes, pedals
pump
water bottle cage (this normally comes with a new bike)
spare tube, tire levers,and Co2 or frame pump
cycling shorts (must have)

other things to get as time/money permits would be more cycling clothing like short or long sleeve jerseys, tights for colder weather, ect.

the shorts are the only thing on the must have clothing list, the rest is just as you want/need it.

chris, glad to see you back, i think i will almost 100% not be racing TTT this year, but will be ther working and taking photos. hope theb ack heals well, and the puppy is very cute!
2009-02-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1858045

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Thanks everyone for the running encouragement.

Malcolm, Ditto on David's comments for the bike.  No one mentioned a helmet yet, but that is probably becuase we know you know about that.

1) Try to find a riding partner that knows his/her stuff.  The bike shop can be a help but not as good as a friend.  They can help you make sure that...

2) your shoe cleats are set well and properly tight, and adjust your pedal tention.

3) you have the proper equipment to change a flat.

Ditto David on a cheap and basic bike computer.  I ONLY use distance, time, and sometimes avg speed.  You don't need confused by learning how to get any other information at this point.  Eventually some folks rely on cadence, but I know my cadence well enough and tend to let my legs lead me rather than my computer.

Down the road items:

1) Bike trainer

2) Aero equipment: helmet, water bottle, bars if you don't get them with the bike.

3) Ditto David's clothing suggestions.

Have fun.  Do you best, tell us what you got, and use if for a couple weeks and tweak from there.

Edited by DieuEtMonDroit 2009-02-04 10:29 AM
2009-02-04 10:20 PM
in reply to: #1945105

User image

Champion
i'm getting excited for you, new bikes are awesome!!!!!

thomas, how is the running going?
2009-02-04 11:48 PM

New user

Gojogo- You gotta let me/us know how the indoor tri goes. I'm gonna be doing one March 1, so I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I know how illnesses can be a major damper, so keep it up.

I have been significantly upping my running and am planning on a half marathon in a month or so. Should be fun for my first half.

Finally getting back in the pool tomorrow, should be a blast. Not really.

Keep up the good work people.

2009-02-05 12:12 AM
in reply to: #1946431

User image

Champion
deff keep us posted on the indoor tri, i may be doing one as well and have never seen one put on.

hang in there and get better, i am battling an ugly head cold right now as well.

2009-02-05 2:17 AM

User image

Pasadena, TX
...wow, so tonight was supposed to be my last long run before the marathon in 10 days, I was gonna run for about 2:45, about 18 miles give or take. I don't really know what happened, but sometime between 1:40 and 2:00 my legs totally gave out. I didn't even finish, I stopped at 1:58 and did kind of a walk/jog home, more walk than jog, and the straight shot home was about three miles. I haven't failed to make a time or distance since I started this I can't even explain what happened. It wasn't like I didn't have energy or it wasn't that O2 deprived feeling. My legs just suddenly felt like I'd been doing really heavy squats and dead lifts for about two hours. I also got a little worried that if I kept going I wouldn't be able to recover in time for the race. Everyone who knows anything says marathons take a long time to recover from, I started to wonder if this is what they mean. Not that this was an excuse for stopping, I really don't think I was capable of going on anyway. I wonder if I started out too fast on this run? I've discovered lately that I'm a pretty crappy judge of pace. I think I'm going a lot slowerthan I am sometimes. I'll think I am running 9:30+ pace and when I map it out I'm in the 7 min range.... Overall I averaged about 8:40 for this run, 13.6 mi, but I wonder if I didn't start out much faster and then slow down ....it didn't feel like it. Last week I ran longer and farther than this and although I was pretty tired afterward it felt great, I even had some left in reserve toward the end. I don't get this....  Has this ever happened to anyone?? I find myself really worried about being able to go the distance in 10 days now. Up until now I was sure I could and was concerned with a reasonable time. Maybe I should have taken yesterday off? I ran 6 miles or so, while last week before my long run I had a day off on either side....  Anyhow, tomorrow I'm at work and am doing nothing but what's required of me there and RESTING. Anyone have any input here / suggestions?
2009-02-05 7:20 AM

Yeah - I'm pretty excited about picking up the new bike myself!!  Although less excited about all the $$ I'll be parting with and the comments from the wifey... ;-)  I'm hoping to get out on a group ride Saturday morning -if my knees are still hanging in there.  Felt the left one really twinging a bit during this morning's run.

Speaking of runs - I wish I could comment and help you out Dino - but the concept of running for 2hrs...is completely impossible for my brain to wrap itself around.

Hope you guys get over your colds soon..... Sux when getting sick gets in the way of training.  I've always hated that.  I've been paranoid at work - everyone is coughing or sneezing...  Purell is my friend.

I'll probably be forced to take a week off - since I'll be heading to the UK in about a week and a half -for a week's trip for business.  I'll be lucky to get a single run in during that time... and we always hit some pretty good restaurants.  My plan though is....probably to get in 8 or 9 days straight before leaving.

I also need to select a tri-training plan soon....

2009-02-05 8:40 AM

User image

Expert

Malcolm, one thing that helped me smooth over any concern with my spouse on the spending was a really commitment to use the equipment.  $$ spent on a passing fad will get more trouble than $$ spent on something that is commited to and makes on healthier.

David (dinotx), you question is out of my league.  Other than you comming down with some sickness (lets hope that is not it), I can only speculate that maybe the prior long run is taking you longer to recover from than only one week.  I really hope your race goes well and have noted with myself, that my race performance usually seems completely independent of how my training went a few days before.

Kelly, hope you getting better.

Patrick, good luck upping the run volume and getting back in the pool.  I hope you do well on the half marathon.

Edited by DieuEtMonDroit 2009-02-05 8:40 AM
2009-02-05 9:02 AM

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for all of the well wishes.  I'm back to work today.  4 of my students were out yesterday and 2 are still out today.  I think the weekend thaw got to us. 

I'm hoping to get a short workout this afternoon. A group from work meets at the high school for some personal training from the P.E. teacher.  I've only been once and last week was good. 

I'm not sure what the illness will do to my performance next week.  I was feeling pretty good.  I'm glad it's a short event. 

any suggestions on what gears to ride in?  It's maximum distance in 15 minutes.  I'm a little rusty in the physics department.  Should I stay in high gears and pedal like crazy or low gears and pedal like crazy? 

2009-02-05 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1946763

User image

Champion
on the running front, it happens. without knowing more its hard to say the reason, but the longer you push the workouts, the more spectacular the break downs tend to be. could have been nutrition, over excited pacing, mental, just a bad day, not enough rest, or all of the above.
take it for what it is, a 13 mile run and a learning experince.

the more you get into sports like this, the more times this will happen, its part of the territory.

as you do more longer stuff you will also start to have a better sense of when to back off, what pacing feels like, ect. for what its worth no one gets it right all the time, even the pros are still trying to figure this out.

on the indoor race, if the bike is one of the electronic gym ones, harder gear will net you the most speed, sense most of those go off of pure power output. an easy gear and higher RPM will get you going better and save your legs for the run more, but on that, its only 15 min, just hammer in the hardest gear you can hold onto.

2009-02-06 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Just a quick hello to everyone to bump our group off of the 2nd page.
2009-02-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1948502

User image

Champion
how is everyone doing this morning?

training going well? getting better from illness?
everyone ready for the weekend?

2009-02-06 1:29 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Should be a good training weekend here in Iowa.  The weather it looking fantastic for February (40s).  I gonna try and get the bike outdoors after work today
2009-02-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1949424

User image

Champion
agreed on the weather, its 35 here and it feels like summer, expecting 50 tomorrow, and over 40 for the next week!!!!

time for some serious bike time before it gets crappy again.
2009-02-06 5:51 PM

Just picked up my bike this evening...  A shiny new 60cm Trek 2.3...bled me for the bike, bike shorts, bike shoes, speedplay pedals, helmet, pump, 2 bottle holders and bottles, bike computer, gloves, spare tube, co2 cartridge, multitool and tire levers.  I think that's it...  I was planning to go on an 8:00 group ride with the local tri club...but now thinking I should just take the bike out...and get used to getting in and out of the pedals before I go falling over in public.  Need to figure out how to work a solid ride into this weekend.

I also need a training program.  I haven't signed up for a May Tri yet - but am pretty sure I will - and that will be my first. I need to find a run oriented training program...that I can set time goals - and work backwards (percentages..)  I have time goals I'd like to hit...by May....or if not by May...for sure by July...2nd tri.  I'm not quite sure what to make of the programs on this site.  Currently - I'm just working out...not really tri training - although I am trying to establish some base endurance/experience in all the disciplines... 

2009-02-06 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1949978

User image

Champion
first, congrats on the new bike! always exciting!

i would personally take this week to get used to the bike, pedals, riding, before jumping into a group ride. little things like remembering to unclip at a stop sign, need to be practiced. find somewhere without traffic and just practice getting into, riding, coming to a stop and unlciping. this may sound boring, but will make your venture with other riders a lot more fun;-)

if you have not already, you will almost 100% fall at least once after forgetting to unclip and comnig to a stop. we have all done it (in fact i did it again last year!), its part of learning to game.

on the training front, what are you looking at goal wise? let me know and i'll see if i can be of some help in either helping you get something put together or finding something to fit your needs.
2009-02-07 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on the bike and accessories.  Bike shops must just love customers like you (me, us).  Ditto David on staying away from a group ride.  Ditto on you falling over I did it a couple times my first clip ins and almost did it once after taking 10 years off the bike.  The group ride will just add more pressure to keep up and unclip at unexpected times.

Have a good weekend everyone.  I’m going to go check and see if David S. road outside today.  I ran outside in the ice and slush and it was very windy. 

2009-02-07 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1950581

User image

Champion
thomas, i was set to head outside, was either doing to at a LT test or get in a solid 2+ hours, on went to pump up tires and realized the back was flat:-( go to get spare, no where to be found.
ended up heading out for a run and am going to get on the trainer on my dads bike this evening and then get mine fixed.

so much for that.

the tri-tech group ride is on for tomorrow though so i am going to go get in 45-55 miles there and then go swim, so it all should work out.

malcom, been out on the bike yet?
2009-02-07 5:52 PM

User image

Expert

Glad to see you getting a chance to get outside tomorrow since that is what you are motivated and itching to do.  I was on the trainer again today after running outside and I don't mind the trainer.  It was very windy today and I would not have enjoyed that plus the slush, plus the gravel on the road, plus the drivers not anticipating bikes on the road.

Have fun tomorrow.  Let me know if you'd ever be interested in doing the tri-tech time trial this year as a two man time trial.  Not sure out schedule would work it out, but if so it could be fun.  I think we could turn 19 minute laps or better.

2009-02-07 6:09 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Hey guys!  Lotsa good stuff going on here.

I got outside on the bike yesterday and somehow managed to PR a 5K today.

While we are on the topic of spending money for this sport I'm poised to drop a few hundred on new training gear for the upcoming season.  It's all entirely necessary of course

Hope everyone's training is going well.  Enjoy the weekend, and heat wave  

2009-02-07 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Real nice 5K Neal.
2009-02-07 7:54 PM

User image

Pasadena, TX

Disturbed- Sweet job on that 5k time, and lots of good training right afterward too! I'd like to say I wouldn't use a race PR in the am as an excuse to slack off and have some junk food, but.....

Eighthman- hope you are enjoying the new bike! That's really exciting! I'll be joining you falling down at stoplights  Laughing   sometime after next weekend as soon as this race is over withI will definitely be buying used with as few accesoryes as possible that stuff can definitely add up. I figure I'll get a cheap (relatively) road bike and spend some real money when it's time to get a tri bike since that's where I'll do most riding I think. Have fun!

Ran and EASY run today at just over a 9 min pace for about 3 miles. Trying to recover quickly from my fubar'd long run! This week is taper off week for the race on Sunday. I'm thinking I'll do 7-8 mi tomorrow followed by 3, 4, 3, day off, friday 20 min easy, sat off, sun race... Sound reasonable? Luckily friday is the only day I have that I am working between now and then so getting adequate rest for once won't be a problem. Once this race is over it's back to a balanced run/swim, adding in the bike, and lifting twice a week. I'm actually looking forward to a more balanced training schedule. I mean I like running, I've learned to appreciate it more actually over the last few weeks, but a change of pace will be welcome...

2009-02-07 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Best of luck getting ready for you race David I.
2009-02-07 8:13 PM

Good to see things picking up here again!

No - I haven't ridden the bike yet.  I ended up taking everyone's advice - and left it in the back of the SUV while I went to the gym to day for my normal workout.  Did get a good one in - which included a 45min ride on the stationary bike.  I felt great working out today - but really crashed when I got home...kinda wierd...then about 2hrs later - felt great again.  Anyway - Im taking the bike out tomorrow...to get a feel for it....working on clipping in and out....  It's going to be over 60 degrees tomorrow. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 20