of 29

2009-01-29 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed

I have a swimming question:

I have been reading Total Immersion and really trying to get my swim form better.  One of the things I have been trying to focus on is pushing the buoy as referred to in TI.  I know in the past I didn't do a very good job of putting my head down in the water.  But now when I try to focus on that I find that about every third time I come up for a breath I end up swallowing pool water.  Anyone have any suggestions for what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Craig

2009-01-30 5:13 AM
in reply to: #1936774

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CraigT - 2009-01-29 9:58 PM

I have been reading Total Immersion and really trying to get my swim form better.  One of the things I have been trying to focus on is pushing the buoy as referred to in TI.  I know in the past I didn't do a very good job of putting my head down in the water.  But now when I try to focus on that I find that about every third time I come up for a breath I end up swallowing pool water.  Anyone have any suggestions for what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Craig

I was taught that this is a by product of rotating the entire body rather than the head, which when I first started I wasn't doing properly.  By that I mean I wasn't rotating quite far enough so I would compensate by lifting my head.  Now I have rotate to a point that it is almost uncomfortable and I feel like I am going to flip over, but in reality I am no where near that point.  Slowing down and focusing on form has really helped me with this as when I try to push the pace I am still returning to bad habits.  But as time goes by, this is slowly going away.

As far as the bike, I have no experience with the Motobecane product, but if you check the gear reviews, I think I have seen some in there.  It is the button at the top and far right.

2009-01-30 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1936936

User image

Veteran
Houston
kenj - 2009-01-30 5:13 AM

CraigT - 2009-01-29 9:58 PM

Thanks,

Craig

I was taught that this is a by product of rotating the entire body rather than the head, which when I first started I wasn't doing properly.  By that I mean I wasn't rotating quite far enough so I would compensate by lifting my head.  Now I have rotate to a point that it is almost uncomfortable and I feel like I am going to flip over, but in reality I am no where near that point.  Slowing down and focusing on form has really helped me with this as when I try to push the pace I am still returning to bad habits.  But as time goes by, this is slowly going away.

As far as the bike, I have no experience with the Motobecane product, but if you check the gear reviews, I think I have seen some in there.  It is the button at the top and far right.

Thanks Ken, another technique challenge for me as well. Thing is you may think you're doing it right but in reality really don't know unless someone (trusted) with experience or coach is watching you. I need to find a pool mentor.
2009-01-30 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Ok, another month almost in the books!!!

Here is an idea for February!  How about a group challenge!  Pick one goal you want to focus on for the month, not to ignore the other goals, but one you really want to focus on.  It can be the number of times you want to swim, number of miles you want to run, or even the number of pounds you want to lose.  A little friendly competition with some nudging from the others in the group!  It can be voluntary as I know that a couple of you are fighting injuries and schedule issues.  Make the goals reachable, but not easy.

The winner(s) (hopefully everyone wins) can put a sig line in for bragging rights or something of that nature.  I can keep track of it and post updates every week.

What do you guys think?

2009-01-30 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Ken

Sounds like a great idea.  My best month of running ever was when I signed up for the October run challenge so its a great motivator.  I am in, just have to think of a goal. 

2009-01-30 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
Count me in. I'm stuck at my current weight, and need some motivation to be more serious on my diet. My goal would be 8 # weight loss in Feb, based on my weight on 1-31-09.

2009-01-30 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1932713

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

wakehr - 2009-01-27 8:22 PM The 8 reasons. I subscribe to Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat ezine..cute eh. Today's post, the 8 reasons you fall off diet wagon. 1. no focus: 2.no priorities: 3. no support system: 4. no accountability: 5. No patience: 6. No planning: 7. No balance: 8: No personalization Looking at my written BT goals, using Carmichael meal plans, the training program, a weekly weight chart and having such a fine support group at home and of course you guys/gals, I just might make my goal weight when I hit the water at my first HIM !! http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/01/8_reasons_why_you_ke...

Wayne,  do you have the "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" book?  If so, what do you think.  I need to do something different.

2009-01-30 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

A swim question answer about swallowing water... I've spoke with other swim coaches about TI.  The general consensus is it's a good tool for beginners and you'll see Olympians doing some of the same drills.  But, burying your head?!  This keeps your shoulders down and lifts your hips so you're not creating drag, but it stinks like rotten eggs as far as breathing is concerned (and in a race I'd be more concerned about my breathing-which seems to be a MAJOR cause of panic for triathletes on race day!-than my feet).

Try this instead:  

Swim looking *towards* the bottom of the pool (or neutral, not straight down, not straight ahead).

Keep the water level just above your goggles (eyebrow level)

When you take a breath (and this takes tons of practice!) turn your head so that ONE side of your goggles stays UNDER water.... yes, you DO get some water in your mouth sometimes, BUT when you turn your head back into the water to exhale, just exhale that water out. =)

Sorry for the simplicity, but I tell new swimmers that they need to "talk to the fish and then LISTEN to the fish" or for the pre-adolescents, I tell them to "smell your armpit".  But, you really don't need to look at your armpit when you breath. =) It's actually a better eye-dea (ha!) to look forward when you take a breath. 

For the nutrition book seekers...just make sure to read the qualifications of who wrote the book.  Specifically, look for someone who is an RD (registered dietician). For training and races, I've used Monique Ryan's nutrition for endurance athlete book.  I found a link, but I didn't look to see what edition this was: http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nutrition-Endurance-Athletes-Monique/dp/1931382158

Hope that helps!

2009-01-30 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Garmin question: 

How do I set my watch to a particular pace for running?  Specifically, if I'm running a 10k I want my watch to beep if I'm going slower than a 8 min/mile pace.  

Is this what the virtual partner is?

Thx!

2009-01-30 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Sara,

Thanks for the advice on the breathing.  You read TI and it makes you think you would have to be stupid to not follow their advice to a T. 

I do have a question.  When I breath, I generally try to breath in through the mouth and exhale through my nose underwater.  Should I try to exhale through my mouth or does it matter? 

Thanks

Craig

2009-01-31 5:52 AM
in reply to: #1938192

User image

Veteran
Houston
snaproll - 2009-01-30 4:23 PM

wakehr - 2009-01-27 8:22 PM The 8 reasons. I subscribe to Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat ezine..cute eh. Today's post, the 8 reasons you fall off diet wagon. 1. no focus: 2.no priorities: 3. no support system: 4. no accountability: 5. No patience: 6. No planning: 7. No balance: 8: No personalization Looking at my written BT goals, using Carmichael meal plans, the training program, a weekly weight chart and having such a fine support group at home and of course you guys/gals, I just might make my goal weight when I hit the water at my first HIM !! http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/01/8_reasons_why_you_ke...

Wayne, do you have the "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" book? If so, what do you think. I need to do something different.

I didn't buy Burn the fat feed muscle. After reviewing it seemed more for body builders than everyday BOP (me). I did buy Body Fat Solution (in article) he just wrote through Amazon. Received it 3 weeks ago, half way through it and it has some great ideas on figuring out what your emotional triggers are for eating/snacking with good suggestions on refocusing. The tube is my biggest Pavlov vice, mindless eating watching TV so I've cut down on viewing hours and what I consume; that plus Carmichael Training System meal plans I started Jan. 4 has helped a bunch with total calories consumed. Add the weekly workouts and i met my 2lb wet loss goal this month. I'm really focusing on it and hope the changes become a daily, weekly life habit.

2009-01-31 5:54 AM
in reply to: #1937369

User image

Veteran
Houston
kenj - 2009-01-30 10:19 AM

Ok, another month almost in the books!!!

Here is an idea for February! How about a group challenge! Pick one goal you want to focus on for the month, not to ignore the other goals, but one you really want to focus on. It can be the number of times you want to swim, number of miles you want to run, or even the number of pounds you want to lose. A little friendly competition with some nudging from the others in the group! It can be voluntary as I know that a couple of you are fighting injuries and schedule issues. Make the goals reachable, but not easy.

The winner(s) (hopefully everyone wins) can put a sig line in for bragging rights or something of that nature. I can keep track of it and post updates every week.

What do you guys think?

I'm all in for the weight loss challenge or the swim.
2009-01-31 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1938437

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-30 9:26 PM

Garmin question: 

How do I set my watch to a particular pace for running?  Specifically, if I'm running a 10k I want my watch to beep if I'm going slower than a 8 min/mile pace.  

Is this what the virtual partner is?

Thx!

Push the mode button (bottom left side)

Select Training, then training options.

Select alerts, then speed alert.

Then you can fill in your fast and slow speed alerts.  

I used this feature once and set a goal that was a bit aggressive.  After the 2nd mile when I started to fade I annoyed everyone around me!   That was fun!

2009-01-31 7:03 AM
in reply to: #1938266

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-30 6:23 PM

A swim question answer about swallowing water... I've spoke with other swim coaches about TI.  The general consensus is it's a good tool for beginners and you'll see Olympians doing some of the same drills.  But, burying your head?!  This keeps your shoulders down and lifts your hips so you're not creating drag, but it stinks like rotten eggs as far as breathing is concerned (and in a race I'd be more concerned about my breathing-which seems to be a MAJOR cause of panic for triathletes on race day!-than my feet).

Try this instead:  

Swim looking *towards* the bottom of the pool (or neutral, not straight down, not straight ahead).

Keep the water level just above your goggles (eyebrow level)

When you take a breath (and this takes tons of practice!) turn your head so that ONE side of your goggles stays UNDER water.... yes, you DO get some water in your mouth sometimes, BUT when you turn your head back into the water to exhale, just exhale that water out. =)

Sorry for the simplicity, but I tell new swimmers that they need to "talk to the fish and then LISTEN to the fish" or for the pre-adolescents, I tell them to "smell your armpit".  But, you really don't need to look at your armpit when you breath. =) It's actually a better eye-dea (ha!) to look forward when you take a breath. 

For the nutrition book seekers...just make sure to read the qualifications of who wrote the book.  Specifically, look for someone who is an RD (registered dietician). For training and races, I've used Monique Ryan's nutrition for endurance athlete book.  I found a link, but I didn't look to see what edition this was: http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nutrition-Endurance-Athletes-Monique/dp/1931382158

Hope that helps!

Great advice!

I have started to use some of the TI principles, and I think that it has helped with a particular flaw in my body position and stroke.  I was plowing through the water and just using endurance to overcome my short comings.  I was typically taking somewhere in the mid 30's strokes per 25 yards and I am now down in the low 20's.

But, although reading the book can make you feel like you are an idiot if you take any other approach, it doesn't have to be as complicated as he likes to make it. 

2009-01-31 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Breathing suggestion: When I exhale the air comes out both my nose and mouth.  I adjust depending on if I just swallowed a mouthful of water from another swimmers waves or what have you.  

Have you tried "rhythmic breathing"? It's taking a breath on the right side as you're then pulling on the left, then the right then breathing on the left as you pull.  In swimming, I see A LOT of people waiting too long to breath...so they end up gasping for a breath or taking a longer breath then they need to (upping odds of water going in the mouth) AND for the folks who HOLD their breath they have that CO2 building up.  Coming up with a pattern helps to keep us relaxed in the water and the bilateral breathing I mentioned above helps smooth out some flaws (when people favor breathing on one side it creates an imbalance, like in your muscles and in your body position). PLUS, I think that when you become comfortable breathing on both sides (and I can attest to this from race experience) if you do get a mouthful of water or water up the nose then you KNOW how to deal with it (just stick your head back in the water to expel that water and then decided to take another quick breath on the same side or breath to the other side if no one is there and there's no wave action, yanno??)

Ken, thanks for the Garmin help.  I have a race in 45 minutes (better get my butt there!) and I"m going to try and best my last time and I think this'll help (plus the music that I haven't been bringing).

2009-01-31 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1938694

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-31 9:12 AM

Breathing suggestion: When I exhale the air comes out both my nose and mouth.  I adjust depending on if I just swallowed a mouthful of water from another swimmers waves or what have you.  

Have you tried "rhythmic breathing"? It's taking a breath on the right side as you're then pulling on the left, then the right then breathing on the left as you pull.  In swimming, I see A LOT of people waiting too long to breath...so they end up gasping for a breath or taking a longer breath then they need to (upping odds of water going in the mouth) AND for the folks who HOLD their breath they have that CO2 building up.  Coming up with a pattern helps to keep us relaxed in the water and the bilateral breathing I mentioned above helps smooth out some flaws (when people favor breathing on one side it creates an imbalance, like in your muscles and in your body position). PLUS, I think that when you become comfortable breathing on both sides (and I can attest to this from race experience) if you do get a mouthful of water or water up the nose then you KNOW how to deal with it (just stick your head back in the water to expel that water and then decided to take another quick breath on the same side or breath to the other side if no one is there and there's no wave action, yanno??)

Ken, thanks for the Garmin help.  I have a race in 45 minutes (better get my butt there!) and I"m going to try and best my last time and I think this'll help (plus the music that I haven't been bringing).

More good advice!  One of the side benefits of rythmic breathing for me is better hip rotation.  I need to do it more than I do!

Have a great race!

Mine was a challenge this morning, besides the hills, I apparently over dressed and over heated!  Tough to do when it is only 11 degrees with below 0 wind chill, but I did!

2009-01-31 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Belly Fat - I'm really getting frustrated!

I've been working out regularly for over a year.  I started somewhere in the 220's and last September at the peak of my cycling I weighed in at 183.  Now, with less cycling and more weight lifting I'm back around 195.  But it doesn't seem to matter what I weigh I still carry around this middle age belly and I'm sick of it. 

My diet is pretty good.  My fast foods are limited to Subway maybe once a week.  I limit red meat to one serving per day and try to limit all meat to once or twice a day.  Lots of veggies and fruit.  My indulgence is peanut butter.  I haven't logged my meals for a while but when I did I was running 22% - 25% fat, and roughly 50/50 carbs and protein for the balance.  My blood pressure is good, blood sugar is good (in the 80's), HDL and LDL both good. 

Any advice or inspiration here would be great.  Books?  Articles?  Magic pills?  Bueller...  Bueller...  Bueller........

2009-01-31 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1938866

User image

Master
Dunedin

Oh man! I hear you about overdressing!  I got really warm after the 2nd mile then FROZE as soon as I crossed the finish line.  I used the alert feature on the Garmin during warmups and decided that I didn't want to deal with the beeping and didn't want to annoy the others. =

kenj - 2009-01-31 12:46 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-31 9:12 AM

More good advice!  One of the side benefits of rythmic breathing for me is better hip rotation.  I need to do it more than I do!

Have a great race!

Mine was a challenge this morning, besides the hills, I apparently over dressed and over heated!  Tough to do when it is only 11 degrees with below 0 wind chill, but I did!

2009-01-31 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1938981

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
snaproll - 2009-01-31 2:36 PM

I've been working out regularly for over a year.  I started somewhere in the 220's and last September at the peak of my cycling I weighed in at 183.  Now, with less cycling and more weight lifting I'm back around 195.  But it doesn't seem to matter what I weigh I still carry around this middle age belly and I'm sick of it. 

My diet is pretty good.  My fast foods are limited to Subway maybe once a week.  I limit red meat to one serving per day and try to limit all meat to once or twice a day.  Lots of veggies and fruit.  My indulgence is peanut butter.  I haven't logged my meals for a while but when I did I was running 22% - 25% fat, and roughly 50/50 carbs and protein for the balance.  My blood pressure is good, blood sugar is good (in the 80's), HDL and LDL both good. 

Any advice or inspiration here would be great.  Books?  Articles?  Magic pills?  Bueller...  Bueller...  Bueller........

I hear ya!  When you figure it out, share with me!!!  I went from 285 down to a low of 182, now back near 200, but it doesn't seem to matter.  I still have the spare tire or love handles, what ever you want to call them!

2009-01-31 6:49 PM
in reply to: #1938981

User image

Master
Dunedin

Height and age, s'il vous plait??  Also, you say protein and carbs are 50/50?  What sources?  Do you think you might be drinking your calories somewhere?  When I was losing weight last year I switch my source of protein to *gasp* more tofu (not that this is appealing to too many people).  Also, there's some thought that the calcium in dairy products *may* affect weight.  Would you consider some low-fat yogurt every now and then?

snaproll - 2009-01-31 2:36 PM

2009-01-31 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Welp, I was hoping to PR today.  I had music to get my psyched, I tucked in my shirt so it wouldn't ride up every 1/4 mile, I got new running shoes...Missed it by about 30 seconds. Doh!  BUT I did finish 43/72.  I'm pretty happy with a 49:45 time since I had never considered myself a "runner" before.  I did dry heave at the end which was really embarrassing, but whatcha gonna do?

I have noticed that I'm getting symptoms of plantar fasciitis. So, the shoulder is clearing up and now I'm getting this.  Time to look into better calf stretching.

2009-01-31 11:30 PM
in reply to: #1939283

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-31 6:49 PM

Height and age, s'il vous plait??  Also, you say protein and carbs are 50/50?  What sources?  Do you think you might be drinking your calories somewhere?  When I was losing weight last year I switch my source of protein to *gasp* more tofu (not that this is appealing to too many people).  Also, there's some thought that the calcium in dairy products *may* affect weight.  Would you consider some low-fat yogurt every now and then?

I'm just a shade over 6'1" and turn 51 in April.  Most of my protein comes either from chicken, seafood (tuna mostly), and protein powder in shakes.  I do eat tofu occasionally and don't find it objectionable.  Low-fat yogurt goes in my smoothies and I like the taste.  I don't drink soft drinks at all and the last beer I had was 6/23/2007.  My alcohol of choice is wine, although I'll occasionally drink a distilled beverage.  Water and ice tea are make up the vast majority of my liquid intake.

Maybe it's time to start tracking my intake again to make sure I'm eating like I think I am.

2009-01-31 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1939291

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-31 6:56 PM

Welp, I was hoping to PR today.  I had music to get my psyched, I tucked in my shirt so it wouldn't ride up every 1/4 mile, I got new running shoes...Missed it by about 30 seconds. Doh!  BUT I did finish 43/72.  I'm pretty happy with a 49:45 time since I had never considered myself a "runner" before.  I did dry heave at the end which was really embarrassing, but whatcha gonna do?

Great job and congrats on such a great run!!

2009-02-01 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1939528

User image

Master
Dunedin

Hmm, I think keeping track is a good idea.  When I was in college and swimming 14 hours/week on top of lifting and running I wasn't losing any weight and in fact I'd stay about the same weight in the off season...years later when I really wanted to lose weight for my wedding I finally put my nose to the grind stone and measured out everything I ate to be the serving size stated on the nutrition label.  So tedious.  I would pre-pack lunch with the pre-measured foods.  I gave up pasta (*tear*) because I had no self control around it.  Just eating a measly 1/2 cup or full cup wasn't worth it if I couldn't eat a whole bowl. I kept that up for 9 months and lost 15 lbs.  Since I gave up that routine I've gained about half that back, but I'm in better physical shape.  

So...keeping track may help, but keep in mind you may want to make changes to your diet that you can handle in the long haul - a lifestyle change.  If it creates a hassle then you might have to weigh (pun intended) the pros and cons of losing weight.  You'll have less to carry in a race, but will it negatively affect other facets of your life??

51...I *think* I recall that you lift, right??  Your metabolism is going to naturally slow down every year, is there a change in your lifting that you can make so that those muscles are working a little more to keep up with the metabolism change??

Hope that helps!! =)  

snaproll - 2009-02-01 12:30 AM
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-31 6:49 PM

I'm just a shade over 6'1" and turn 51 in April.  Most of my protein comes either from chicken, seafood (tuna mostly), and protein powder in shakes.  I do eat tofu occasionally and don't find it objectionable.  Low-fat yogurt goes in my smoothies and I like the taste.  I don't drink soft drinks at all and the last beer I had was 6/23/2007.  My alcohol of choice is wine, although I'll occasionally drink a distilled beverage.  Water and ice tea are make up the vast majority of my liquid intake.

Maybe it's time to start tracking my intake again to make sure I'm eating like I think I am.

2009-02-01 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
We had perfect weather today, so I took advantage and did something I haven't done since college -- double digit run! Well, actually it was a 10 mile walk/run, but I averaged a little less than 11 min miles which is about my longer distance running speed anyway. Ever since I started walking more, my knee has done OK -- some minor pain, but nothing major. Thanks for the ongoing encouragement!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29